Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Holland and Barrett

Buddha Belly

Default Re: Holland and Barrett

me and Helen love our local H&B staff. It is always good to go there.

We stoppped ourselves from buying things on a sunday as they got no extra pay and were expected to work it. The less money through the tills the less likely they were to continue sunday service.

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    is she a nice person? I find most H&B staff unbelievably grumpy. but maybe that's just north London.
    The ones in Oxford are wonderful, though varied, the staff in Aylesbury are great.

Oddly, I've always found the female staff in both Oxford and Aylesbury (the two stores I go to most often) are a little more friendly than the male ones.

They always seem to remember my Husband and I as the vegan couple. Well, if I have to have a label, there are worse ones!
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

helen105281

Quote Buddha Belly View Post

We stoppped ourselves from buying things on a sunday as they got no extra pay and were expected to work it. The less money through the tills the less likely they were to continue sunday service.
    The staff in Welwyn Garden City are always friendly too.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I bought some Vegi Deli hotdogs in H&B yesterday and they had Morrisons special offer price stickers on them - what is that all about. (The sticker said £1.99 but they were trying to charge £2.15 for them.)
    sounds very cheeky

i still haven't found any of this cheesecake everyone's talking about.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Buddha Belly View Post

I don't get any extra money for working weekends, nights or bank holidays...are you gonna stop shopping at Asda and Sainsbury's?

Pavo - Yeah she's ok....but she's kinda like a mum-inlaw that doesn't like me very much.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I found mango and passion fruit cheesecake in the H&B in Didcot! It's made by the same people as the strawberry one. I know what I'm having for supper.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Does it have 1 passion fruit seed and a thumbnail of mango in the middle?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

^ The piece of fruit (possibly mango) on the top would probably be best described as a slither.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Zero

Did someone say Mango and Passion Fruit Cheesecake? Yes I think they did.

Is it tasty? Yeah, but not quite as good as the strawberry one.

Thank for reminding me I had nommy cheesecake in the fridge!

*scoff* *scoff*

Buddha Belly

[QUOTE=emzy1985;604008]I don't get any extra money for working weekends, nights or bank holidays...are you gonna stop shopping at Asda and Sainsbury's?
    QUOTE]

I am happiest not going out at all on a sunday. I hate being dragged to the shops by Helen.

[QUOTE=Buddha Belly;607580]
    Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I hate being dragged to the shops by Helen.
    I really really dont get that whole drag your man to the shop thing - they linger outside the cubicles looking really bored and then have to smile and say you look great just to get out of there quickly.... sheesh - go yourselves women!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Bless, but yet again this weekend I was talking to someone in H&B and they suggested Quorn to me... two seconds after talking with me about my being vegan. I then explained that I'm vegan, and therefore don't eat Quorn... to which there co-worker pointed at the box and said 'It's got cheese on it, see'. Yes, well, the cheese just makes it a super veganfail.

This was the manager too....

Quote vava View Post

I really really dont get that whole drag your man to the shop thing - they linger outside the cubicles looking really bored and then have to smile and say you look great just to get out of there quickly.... sheesh - go yourselves women!
    How horrible of us to want to spend time with our partners.... we are really evil
    Last edited by Ms_Derious; Sep 28th, 2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Quotefail
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

How horrible of us to want to spend time with our partners.... we are really evil [/QUOTE]

time spent with your partner should be quality time not quanitiy bored time
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

*Shock*

I have never seen vegan cheese cake before! Not even in my local Holland and Barett! What is going on here?! I. MUST. LOCATE. THE. CHEESECAKE!

Am going to Holland and Barett later, actually, will definately ask what they're doing with the good stuff when I go there! Unfortunately, it's quite a small store, since I live in tiny-town, ahaha. I'm going to attempt to locate a larger branch now I'm back to veganism though, since I L-O-V-E most of their products! I saw someone mention the pasties earlier, and I have to say that I tried them last week (two in as many days) and they are so good! I almost had a heart attack from the shear joy of finding such a delicious treat!

Does anyone else absolutely adore their little vegan chocolate button things? Yum, and a half. So good. I have to find out, however, whether they still offer the vegan smarties they had when I was a little child!

Shame it's such an expensive store though! Is there a cheaper alternative? Or anywhere you can buy their stock at lower prices in bulk?

Prawnil

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    We've had a couple of the cheesecakes and probably won't buy again...Make your own - cheaper, nicer, fresher
    I had one today & agree. I liked it, but ate most of a whole one without knowing how much it cost. I've had miles better from scratch. Of all things, cheesecake is extremely easy to veganise.
    One problem you might have, if you haven't had the mamma cucina stuff before, is shovelling through the heap of fruit hiding the cheesecake underneath. Then again, you might not.

There is something I particularly liked about the packaging, other than the hilarious hand: it's the first list I've seen "Non Dairy Lactic Acid" explicitly printed on.

Sloth

I suspect I'd have liked this more if I'd never tried tofutti ice cream before, as it tasted very similar to me, and I've never been keen on it (the ice cream).

Zero

It does have a similar taste to the ice cream I guess, but not as bad because I was able to actually eat the cheezecake

Holland and Barrett is far too expensive, the Swedish glace is like a £1 dearer than Sainsbury.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote Sloth View Post
    I suspect I'd have liked this more if I'd never tried tofutti ice cream before, as it tasted very similar to me, and I've never been keen on it (the ice cream).
    Toffuti ice cream tastes like ice with no flavour to me. :smile:
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I'm sure I read somewhere about some lemon bite things at H&B. Can you tell me again please? I looked and couldn't find anything like that.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Zero

Do you mean the Nana's Lemon Dream Cookie bites Marrers?

There are very tasty

I went into H&B the other day and found Mrs Crimbles Gluten Free Apple Pie in the freezer, just from looking at the ingredients I couldn't figure out whether it was vegan due to the very non descriptive "flavorings".

Upon browsing their website it turns out that it isn't vegan unfortunately:
    http://www.mrscrimbles.com/foodinfo.htm#vegan

Thanks Zero, those are the ones! At least I now know what I'm looking for.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I bought some of the lemon bites and the chocolate ones, I'm not a fan to be honest. I found the texture very grainy and off-putting, will make my own cookies next time so I get the crunchy and chewyness I desire from a cookie.

Prawnil

Lemon flavoured compacted sand.

I like the lemon and choc fudge cookies!

However I bought the strawberry cheesecake and was much less keen on that. It tasted ok but had a bit of a synthetic smell which put me off. I think the biscuit base was nicer than the topping!

Also got some vegan chocolate beans (smarties, basically) which are good too - not had a chance to try them before

Quote vorpal View Post
    I bought some of the lemon bites and the chocolate ones, I'm not a fan to be honest. I found the texture very grainy and off-putting, will make my own cookies next time so I get the crunchy and chewyness I desire from a cookie.
    That is what gluten free seems to be like unfortunately, however I have no choice, I have to put up with gluten free non-goodness.

BlackCats

I liked the topping of the cheesecake much better than the base Est.

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    I know. I have nearly a whole tub of it in my freezer. I was thinking of letting it defrost and then mixing it with cocoa and sugar or maple syrup to see if that gives it some taste!

I've never tried any of the Nana's stuff.
    Last edited by BlackCats; Oct 15th, 2009 at 07:52 AM.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I liked the topping of the cheesecake much better than the base Est.
    In that case let's share!

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    I've used not great icecream to make a mocha in the slowcooker the past. Here is a recipe I used, barely adapted from a cookery book. (Fresh from the Vegetarian Slowcooker)

500ml Chocolate Soya Ice Cream
    1000ml Coffee (Warm) You can use chickery or barley based drinks if preferred
    125ml Brandy or Brown spirit of choice (Optional)
    2 tsp ground almonds
    Additional cocopowder if not strong enough for your tastes

Place ice cream in slowcooker, pour coffee over the top. Stir and leave on slow for 1-2 hours

Makes quite a lot, so if you want, just 1 part ice cream to 2 parts coffee, and add a splash of brandy and a little bit of almonds.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy ice cream to make it, but if I find a tub has been left out too long and started to thaw, I sometimes make it.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Place ice cream in slowcooker
    Ms Derious you are officially a complete nutcase, that certainly tops my cooking with dishwasher recipe

Sounds tastey thou
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Ms Derious you are officially a complete nutcase, that certainly tops my cooking with dishwasher recipe

Sounds tastey thou
    I've been planning the cranberry recipe for as soon as I see said fruit arrive in the shops. It sounds aces

I, being poor, have only my dreams no dishwasher, so will have to shake things violently instead.

Just been in my holland and Barrett and EVERYTHING IN THE SHOP IS BUY 1 GET 1 HALF PRICE, until 12/11/09. yipeeeee

Omg...they have those gluten free burgers I want for £2.50 Might get them seen as everything is buy one get one half price.

Nice. I'll have to stock up on their yummy own brand veggie sausages. They make the best sausage sandwiches ever when combined with fried mushrooms and brown sauce.

Zero

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    I, being poor, have only my dreams no dishwasher, so will have to shake things violently instead.
    I'm sure Yeats would have said it much the same way had he been alive in our time

Shut up, you lot!

Do you have any idea how teeth-gnashingly frustrating it is to hear you quacking on about all these vegan products, to someone all the way up here in Oz where we can get none of it! (At least not by just walking into a shop.)

Oh well, I think I have a recipe for vegan cheesecake somewhere. I suppose I could make my own.

Actually, I take it back - it's prob just as well this stuff isn't readily available where I live - I'd be like the back of a bus!

So, go ahead and enjoy; just think of us while your gobbling away.

Cheers

Quote suzanne View Post
    Just been in my holland and Barrett and EVERYTHING IN THE SHOP IS BUY 1 GET 1 HALF PRICE, until 12/11/09. yipeeeee
    'tis indeed a good offer, i took advantage of it the other day and no doubt will again before the offer is over.

has anyone tried the Ador oat bars they sell? i bought a couple to try, the prune and ginger bar is really nice. i'm not sure about their claim that they keep you feeling fuller for longer though, i'm always hungry.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

helen105281

We are off the raid the Letchworth branch on Saturday. Not tried those bars Gorilla but have seen them in there.

I popped into the H&B near Camden Town when I was in the area for a gig on Sunday and stocked up on fudge, licorice comfits and nut butters (cashew and almond).

I have the strawberry chees cake defrosting in my fridge as we speak. I brought two sos rolls, frys burgers and a cheesecake for £5.20 today. (Instore offer plus family discount...whoop!)
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I finally found some Nana's cookie bites and thought they were quite nice. I had the choc chip ones (several flavours for sale at Wholefoods, Brewers Street, Soho).

great deal there at the mo - got lots of seeds and nuts!

Got rather excited today. Went into H & B and they were just putting out some Clive's Pies. Well, actually, as the very nice lady was putting them into the fridge I was taking them out again and putting them in my basket. Bought two Aloo Gobi Gluten-free pies for my OH and a Creamy Mushroom for me (which I had for my dinner and which was lovely).
    I had to restrain myself, and try really hard not to do a happy dance round the shop. I just have to go and buy some every week now to make sure they keep ordering them!

Nomnomnomnom

^ oh yum! I hope my local H&B have the pies. I sometimes get them from Planet Organic and they are so good.

Mmmmm pie.

They said it was the first time they had got the pies in (I bought them at a health food shop in Stratford previously), so they were interested in the fact that I'd had them before.
    must...buy...more...pies

Quote beanstew View Post
    ^ oh yum! I hope my local H&B have the pies.
    !
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

The 'cheese cake' sound interesting. I'm thinking of asking my dad to get some for me, but I I want to double check that they are still vegan and their are no none vegan cheesecakes that he could confuse them with.

Zero

The only "cheezecakes" I've seen in H&Bhave been vegan ones Dreama and they specifically say that they are suitable for vegans on the back, your Dad could check this and if he's unsure double check with the staff

The strawberry cheesecake is pretty good! The base is quite soft but has loads of flavour.