Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Holland and Barrett

Default Re: Holland and Barrett

I wish I'd known H&B had 40p off Cheezly before I bought 5 packs for full price at the health food shop. (Gang of us off to Pizza Express tonight and hopefully they'll agree to use the Cheezly.)

The 'buy one get one half price' offer isn't on anymore.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Most of the pastry things are good if you're in a town centre and quickly need to get something to eat, but the porkless pie I had recently seemed to have a new recipe which I didn't take to - I doubt I'd even like it much with added pickle of some sort. Also, if you want my advice avoid anything with a "Manager's Special" label on it, which means "We need to get rid of these before their expiry date which, to be honest, is probably two days too late anyway". I speak from experience.

Quote DarmokTheGreen View Post
    Also, if you want my advice avoid anything with a "Manager's Special" label on it, which means "We need to get rid of these before their expiry date which, to be honest, is probably two days too late anyway". I speak from experience.
    I've had a few uncomfortable experiences with finding stuff growing inside the sausage rolls if they are close dated, so I don't trust them now.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Yeah, that was the experience I had. Though in my case it was a porkless pie (and only happened once that I can remember, but once was enough as I had already taken a bite out of the thing).

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    I've had a few uncomfortable experiences with finding stuff growing inside the sausage rolls if they are close dated, so I don't trust them now.
    Ewwwwwwwww! Puts me off!!!!!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I am a sucker for the amy's burritos along with a bit of bbq reggae reggae sauce (also vegan!!) when I am feeling particularly lazy and can't be bothered to cook. Also picked up one of the chilli flavour clive's pies from the oxford H&B a few weeks ago which was total yum but they don't sell them in the one near my house yet !!

what have they done to the porkelss pies?? went in saturday to buy one and they've made them HUGE now...one pie has 1200 calories!!!!!!!!!! made by some company called Veg Out.
    i used to like the small ones. i bought one and ate half but it was very dry and pastry is too thick now.
    the sos rolls are stunning as always tho.

Quote Daffodil View Post
    the sos rolls are stunning as always tho.
    We had some on saturday. They were well within date and really DRY. Would only buy again out of desperation.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    We had some on saturday. They were well within date and really DRY. Would only buy again out of desperation.
    They improve with a ton of Ketchup and preferably cooked for a bit more but still not anything I'd make any special effort for. That said I think they are loads better than the Linda McCartney sausage rolls.

Buddha Belly

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Would only buy again out of desperation.
    That is the only time we buy them. In a rush for the train? H&B for Sos roll.

Quote Daffodil View Post
    what have they done to the porkelss pies?? went in saturday to buy one and they've made them HUGE now...
    You say that like it's a bad thing....

...that...is disgusting O_o

I'm getting a tad bit put off by all of these remarks...

Now they have changed to these "veg out" packs they have made an error on some of the products. Under the logo they all say "suitable for vegetarians and vegans" but not all of them are.. I bought a asparagus pasty thing which said it was vegan on the front but had skimmed milk powder in the ingredients grrr... luckily they changed it for a jerky pasty tho

That porkless pie comment is gross :r I had one of those blackfriars flapjacks once that had a hairball inside the flapjack!! Annoyingly I only had a few mins left on my break on discovery so I never got the chance to return it. It was not fun having to come back to work just after almost eating a ball of human hair!!! Needless to say I don't buy them anymore!

Good grief! I'd have sent that to environmental health, or back to the company at the very least. Appalling.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

h & B used to be such a life saver for me when I was growing up. It was at that time the only place I could buy decent veggie and then vegan nosh.
    Love the SOS rolls and sometime end up getting the jumbo one.
    There's actually an independant health food shop that is directly opposite to my H & B in Kingston and I tend to go to both. depends on where I can get things cheaper. I've tried the strawberry cheesecake they sell and it's ok. Haven't bought another one yet though. Also quite like their porkless pies too. Strange stuff eh?

Quote robb View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing....

it is when you're trying to count calories!

I thought they still had the small porkless pies as well? I quite like some of the pasties and the sos rolls, but always feel like I should be eating something less unhealthy...
    http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/cooking4vegans

leedsveg

I went into a Leeds branch of H & B yesterday and joked about them being open on Boxing Day. Yes they are, 9am to 6pm. They're also open Boxing Day Bank Holiday (28th). Maybe most stores are open on those days?

lv

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Maybe most stores are open on those days?

Well my shop certainly wont be!! Only holiday we get all year. Closing 6pm on 22nd Dec and reopen 9am on 4th Jan....can't wait!!

leedsveg

Quote Daffodil View Post
    Well my shop certainly wont be!! Only holiday we get all year. Closing 6pm on 22nd Dec and reopen 9am on 4th Jan....can't wait!!
    Hi Daffodil

Good for you! You certainly deserve the break.

lv

My local H&B had the Celebration Roast in last friday. It may be processed, but it also makes christmas dinner easier and feels like a treat when it's only available for a few weeks of the year. It's now tucked away safely in the freezer to make sure it doesn't go mouldy.

I just got a giant bag of salted Pistachios from H&B. Om nom nom.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Not real name!

I saw that Celebration Feast in H&B today. What a horrible thing it looked. I've seen slabs of recovered meat that looked more appetising than that.

I'm so glad I'm making the Tofu Roast from La Dolce Vegan. Bring on the nom.

I go into Holland and Barrett literally every day! So much so that the staff there know me well and they always keep things out back for me to collect. I regularly stock up on the redwoods Vegan ham as I can eat 2 packets as a snack if I'm really desperate for food! I love their sausage rolls and the chocolate cookies they sell (although at £1.69 each, these are a special treat!
    I love their oat flapjacks and the blackfriars Cherry and coconut one although I was rather displeased when I found a large chunk of chocolate in one a few months back. Surely if they label something as vegan, they have to guarantee no non-vegan ingredients can ever get in?

I also picked up one of the Christmas meals last week. You got 5-6 slices of "turkey", a little sashay of gravy granules and 4 vegan pigs in blankets! The PiB were gorgeous, the turkey was a little dry, although that could have been because my friend overcooked it a little and the gravy was delicious. Shame the price tag was £5.50!!!!

When I first went vegan I tried some of that Tofutti and thought it was disgusting so I resided in the fact that I would have to remove ice cream from my diet. Then I tried the Swedish Glace variety and I was in heaven! Their blueberry and raspberry varieties are to die for, especially the raspberry as it has raspberry sauce hidden within!!! You can find it in most H & B or Waitrose.
    Last edited by Tofu Monkey; Dec 20th, 2009 at 12:36 AM.

Quote bellybuddha View Post
    h & B used to be such a life saver for me when I was growing up. It was at that time the only place I could buy decent veggie and then vegan nosh.
    Love the SOS rolls and sometime end up getting the jumbo one.
    There's actually an independant health food shop that is directly opposite to my H & B in Kingston and I tend to go to both. depends on where I can get things cheaper. I've tried the strawberry cheesecake they sell and it's ok. Haven't bought another one yet though. Also quite like their porkless pies too. Strange stuff eh?
    Ah yes, that health shop has a far better range than H & B, I always forget that it's there! Will have to go through after Xmas and stock up my cupboards with delicious food! It's the only place where I've see seitan being sold and I've always wanted to try it.

Current offer on of buy one item get another half price. Started Thu and on for a few weeks.

I shall stock up on those 99p sausages me and Mum like!

Thanks for that Alisont

^ same happened to me

Nana's cookie bites:

Quote vorpal View Post
    I bought some of the lemon bites and the chocolate ones, I'm not a fan to be honest. I found the texture very grainy and off-putting, will make my own cookies next time so I get the crunchy and chewyness I desire from a cookie.
    Quote Prawnil
    Lemon flavoured compacted sand.
    Hehe. I agree. They do SMELL delicious though.

I went in today and they had their buy one get one half price thing on again. Got lots of sausages.

helen105281

We got lots of sausages too Cherry, and TVP, mock duck and they had the celebration roast and cheatin roast beef thing (the one thats a big lump) for £1 each so we got them for the freezer.

leedsveg

Quote helen105281 View Post
    We got lots of sausages too Cherry, and TVP, mock duck and they had the celebration roast and cheatin roast beef thing (the one thats a big lump) for £1 each so we got them for the freezer.
    Hi helen

I find there's not much difference between the Beef and the Turkey roasts except that one is brown, one is grey. Other than that they taste the same to me, but then I don't have refined gourmet tastes like you and BB!
    "Can I have some more scraps onmi chips, luv?"

lv

BlackCats

Quote leedsveg View Post
    I find there's not much difference between the Beef and the Turkey roasts except that one is brown, one is grey.
    Grey! That doesn't sound very appetizing.

I will have to make a trip to H&B soon to stock up on some vegan yums.

Buddha Belly

I have stayed away from the beef style lumps as I do not wish to spend £4+ on something I may not like. If it is crap we have wasted £2 on two and we can chuck them in curries to mask the flavour. It would seem a waste to do that to a full price one.

The celebration roast was dropped from £5.99 to £3 but we were given it for £1 as we always chat to the staff there. It's not the best thing but the sausage and bacon bits are lovely. The 'turkey' bit is merely ok.

To further evidence the earlier gourmet accussation. We bought the flavoured TVP not the scummy plain one!!!

leedsveg

BlackCats.

Perhaps a better description would be 'beige'. Still not appetizing but if you close your eyes and think of England....

BB

You chat up the H & B staff and get a big reduction. I chat up the staff and don't. Where's the justice?! (Is it cos you are a young, trendy, bon-vivant, tv star, whereas LV is just an old git?)

LV

Buddha Belly

Don't forget 'darling of the local media'

I just spent about £35 on vittles as the sale is on, shame you can't buy any food from the website. If you buy online you can also get 15% cashback through quidco.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cos i haven't scrolled up or anything i spose everyone knows..h&b have buy one get another something or other half price?? i didn;t know that but went in today and bought looooads of numminess
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Zero

Quote leedsveg View Post
    You chat up the H & B staff and get a big reduction. I chat up the staff and don't. Where's the justice?! (Is it cos you are a young, trendy, bon-vivant, tv star, whereas LV is just an old git?)
    Or maybe it's because he goes in there wearing that hood and balaclava

leedsveg

Quote Zero View Post
    Or maybe it's because he goes in there wearing that hood and balaclava
    I thought he was auditioning for the 'Worzel Gummidge ex-SAS meets the Black and White Minstrels' show, advertised as 'something to offend all the family'

lv

Quote Cherry View Post
    Nana's cookie bites
    I tried the chocolate chip ones first and thought they were quite nice. Then I bought the chocolate ones - yuk. I threw them away.

Those Nana gluten free things seem to choke me a bit, really difficult to eat and swallow!!! They just seem to get stuck in my mouth, if you get what I mean. haha
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Yesterday, I went into H&B and bought -
    Beech Smoked Tofu
    Linda McCartney sausages x2
    Linda McCartney sausage rolls x2
    Mung beans
    Aduki beans

.....all for under a tenner!! I love you, Buy-One-Get-One-Half-Price sale.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

We need to go really, they often had good deals when it's BOGOHP!

Hmm, perhaps that's my saturday job and to think I was going to continue to write an essay on cognitive Psychology!

For some reason I find it difficult to get my mind round the idea that you don't have to buy two things the same to get that offer, just any two items. (That's probably why we're awash with red lentils at the moment!)

I know what you mean, Harpy

I don't know why people were knocking the mighty H&B Sos Rolls a page or so back - they are legend! I have one everyday...

...that makes me sound severely gluttonous but i'm not. They are my vice.
    "Slice it up and dig in.. let the funeral begin.."

I stocked up this lunchtime - came away with 1000s of choc bars (they are meant to last a while but probably won't!), Amy's Black Bean Enchiladas, Frys Shepherds Pie, paprika crisps, Trek and Nakd bars,agave nectar, Tofutti cheese slices etc... mmmmmmmmm. I tell myself that it is a bargain, but in truth I probably would have gone without if it wasn't for that pesky BOGOHP offer tempting me!

ohh good choice est, I love amy's burritos I am gonna have to get on that black bean enchilda asap !!

Quote Est View Post
    I stocked up this lunchtime - came away with 1000s of choc bars (they are meant to last a while but probably won't!), Amy's Black Bean Enchiladas, Frys Shepherds Pie, paprika crisps, Trek and Nakd bars,agave nectar, Tofutti cheese slices etc... mmmmmmmmm. I tell myself that it is a bargain, but in truth I probably would have gone without if it wasn't for that pesky BOGOHP offer tempting me!
    I "accidentally" (at least that's my excuse) did something similar. I have about 7 packs of cheatin' bacon rashers in my freezer, a ton of sausages, swedish glace by the bucket load and some utterly disgusting provamel caramel desserts.

I also took the opportunity to stock up on my clippers teas - dandelion, nettle & white. 25 bags per box just ain't enough for anyone.

I've not saved as much as i pretend i have... *sigh*
    "Slice it up and dig in.. let the funeral begin.."

^ With ya.

And I ate 3 of the choc bars today so now I feel sick