Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Holland and Barrett

Default Re: Holland and Barrett

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    Most of the penny things are things no one wants!
    True- the Amy's dairy free burritos were on it and they're quite good as a vegan microwave meal... yes I could make them from scratch and usually do but for taking to work or something they are handy!

I just read on Twitter that H&B are going to stop stocking Frys Vegetarian products. Has anybody else heard this???? I am so mad.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

leedsveg

Quote pusskins View Post
    I just read on Twitter that H&B are going to stop stocking Frys Vegetarian products. Has anybody else heard this???? I am so mad.
    I've just sent them an email to ask what's going on. Will report back asp.

Leedsveg

Thanks LV and pusskins - please let us know if e-mails of protest are required. I feel I practically own H&B, the amount I spend in there!

They might stop stocking Frys so they can stock something else?

This is on the Frys website:

"Holland & Barrett - April 2011

Due to a disagreement regarding pricing, we are no longer supplying Holland
    & Barrett with our range of FRY'S products."

I emailed Frys to check before seeing this. Ooops.

I guess I will have to stick to Goodness Direct.

Not surprised it's over pricing, fry's stuff costs way too much.

Quote Risker View Post
    Not surprised it's over pricing, fry's stuff costs way too much.
    I completely agree, I just got this email back from Fry's:

"Hello -

Many thanks for your query about our FRY’S products – yes, I’m afraid that FRY’S have been de-listed by Holland & Barrett! We recently tried to implement a price increase (only the 2nd increase in 10 years) as our storage, transport and import costs have gone through the roof. However H&B want us to freeze our prices - we cannot afford to be dictated to – we’re a small family business and we are determined to keep distributing the FRY’S range during these difficult economic times, but we won’t be able to do so if we supply H&B at a loss to ourselves (and a profit to them!).

If you want to see FRY’S back in your local H&B I’m afraid that you will have to contact their head office directly to complain and demand to have it re-stocked. We tried to increase our prices 2 years ago and FRY’S were de-listed then for a while, but due to the huge volume of public complaints H&B caved in and FRY’S were reinstated. We hope that public support succeeds this time too……if the demand is there, they might consider re-stocking the FRY’S range……their email contact is customerservices@hollandandbarrett.com

I’m so sorry that there has been a hiccough in the supply of FRY’S - we will continue to be available from independent health food shops (who have accepted the price increase with no complaints) and online from Goodness Direct……www.goodnessdirect.co.uk

If you want to let me know the county where you live I can send you a shop list for independent retailers in your area……

If you have any further comments, please feel free to contact me directly.

Very best wishes,

Lisa"

I will write to H&B - I don't buy all that much of their stuff to be honest but when I do it's good to be able to pick it up locally. To me, having to pre-order and have it delivered defeats the purpose of convenience food a bit

Thank you very much, Firestorm

OK, they may be overpriced, but I really do enjoy their products and they enable choice. I do not enjoy Linda McCartney sausages, and these were a lovely option.

Well, with my new job (hurrah!) I will hopefully not need to hop to H&B as often.

Have emailed H&B, will let you know if they respond. They might be a bit sick of hearing from me as I only just wrote to them about something else.

Part of me is very disappointed and wants to support Frys, I really like their hot dog/sausages/chikin burgers.
    But sometimes I just cannot afford their prices (and a lot of their stuff can be more unhealthy that the alternatives - their hotdogs have 3 times the sat fat as redwoods).
    There is also a part of me thinking, if they stop stocking Frys they may start stocking something else instead, Viana stuff would be nice for a change.
    I have heard that Redwoods are starting to develop a range of frozen foods as well, maybe Redwoods and H&B are planning something?

I'll still be a bit sad to see them go.

I don't think any fake meat products can really be regarded as "health foods" so I just buy them occasionally, and then damn the expense, fat etc! I don't much like the sound of the way H&B have treated Fry's though of course we have only heard one side of the story (so far)

I eat these kinds of foods quite often (not every day) but 3-4 times a week, so I tend to try and get the healthiest ones that I can.

Fry's clearly see H&B as bullying them in some way here but I don't think they realise how absurd their prices are in the UK. It's no surprise that their prices are so high when they are shipping their products half way round the world. Really they need to consider ways of manufacturing their products in the country they will be sold in. If that means licensing to one of their competitors then so be it, they need to do what they have to do to survive.

^Thats a good point.
    Again I will be sad to see them go, but when I read the email from Frys my initial thought was to side with H&B as they are trying to keep the prices the same (maybe this is just me trying to see the best in H&B), I do feel bad that Frys being a small family firm is being squeezed out, but I keep having to remind myself that H&B are also a business that needs to make a profit.
    If they have to increase the cost of already expensive products it may lead to them losing sales not just on Frys products but on other brands also. If I went into H&B and saw that they had increased the price of Frys products by say 10%, I would probably go home and buy them online along with the other stuff I was planning on buying at H&B.
    Its a shame that they can't come to an arrangement and maybe stock a smaller range if price is going to be such an issue.

Personally I would be far more upset if Redwoods or Vegetarians choice were to stop selling their products at H&B, but it was nice to have another option.

@Firestorm and @Risker - yes, I can see it definitely from your point of view. Now having chewed it over, and seeing that Redwoods are bringing out a frozen food range, and we don't know what H&B will be replacing the Frys products with, I will hold fire on judgement and see what happens. I will miss Frys though. It was a lovely 'treat' product for us. You are right, Risker. Environmentally, they would be wiser to find out a way to produce their products in the UK or somewhere in Europe.

They probably couldn't produce stuff in the UK unless the market reached a particular size, though - and that's not likely to happen if (what I assume is) their main outlet here stops carrying their products. With a bit of imagination you'd think they could come up with a solution to the problem together.

Quote pusskins View Post
    I will hold fire on judgement and see what happens. I will miss Frys though.
    I think this is a good course of action, as I am pretty much ambivalent about most things, including this I will do the same.

Quote harpy View Post
    They probably couldn't produce stuff in the UK unless the market reached a particular size, though - and that's not likely to happen if (what I assume is) their main outlet here stops carrying their products. With a bit of imagination you'd think they could come up with a solution to the problem together.
    Yes, it will be interesting to see what the price hike will amount to after this on online and in independent stores.

Let's just say - I hope Redwoods pull all the stops out!

leedsveg

Let's hope something is sorted out or the H & B freezers will have even more Quorn/Tivall stuff.

lv

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Let's hope something is sorted out or the H & B freezers will have even more Quorn/Tivall stuff.

lv
    Thats a frightening thought

I did hear that Redwoods are Pizzas and maybe ready meals.

I do buy Redwood stuff but I don't want to buy everything from them and I don't really like the Linda McCartney stuff all that much. However I have just read that Sir Paul is to marry again so perhaps there will be a new brand of vegetarian fast food on the market soon Sorry, wash my mouth out with (vegan) soap and water.

Quote leedsveg View Post

lv
    *shudder*

I don't like ready meals. I prefer to buy components to add to dishes or for meals, and Frys are excellent for that. Pizzas would be very welcome, though Just have to wait and see. I'm now going to investigate online ordering - not just Frys, but other brands. I tend to only do online ordering for treats and stuff, as it's so expensive and (I know I'm lazy) it's just so handy to be able to pop into a shop and get what I need, as I have issues sometimes with meal planning.

leedsveg

Quote harpy View Post
    However I have just read that Sir Paul is to marry again so perhaps there will be a new brand of vegetarian fast food on the market soon Sorry, wash my mouth out with (vegan) soap and water.
    Saucer of (soya) milk for harpy!

lv

Miaow, slurp, thanks LV.

BTW I haven't heard back from H&B yet other than an automated reply. Maybe they have had a few enquiries and are composing some sort of statement.

Quote pusskins View Post
    I'm now going to investigate online ordering - not just Frys, but other brands. I tend to only do online ordering for treats and stuff, as it's so expensive
    I know that goodness direct can be quite expensive for ordering things online £6.50 (plus an additional £3.5 for chilled, £3.5 for frozen). But they will drop the delivery charge if you spend over £35 and if you spend over £75 the also drop the charge for chilled/frozen stuff. They also advertise £10 off codes in magazines, if you spend over £35 so it can end up being reasonable if you buy enough.

^ There's often £10 codes on Facebook adverts as well (Which they usually post on their facebook page also.) My only problem with them is I don't like giving my money to the Jesus Army.

^ OK I might sound like a complete idiot but, Jesus army?

It's a Christian organisation that runs Goodness direct, including all it's employees. It's a bit culty...

leedsveg

Quote Risker View Post
    My only problem with them is I don't like giving my money to the Jesus Army.
    Yup. A quick google confirms that Goodness Direct are the 'jesus army' people.

To be fair, they are prepared to bring seitan into our lives.

leedsveg

Ohhhhhh no. I knew it was a Christian org, but I didn't know it was the Jesus Army people.

Oh well. I've never ordered from them, and there are plenty of other online places

Quote leedsveg View Post
    To be fair, they are prepared to bring seitan into our lives
    I took a meat-avoiding friend who's religious for a veggie meal recently and she seemed a bit shocked when I proposed having seitan

Am not too keen on the god-bothering aspect of Goodness Direct but then Holland and Barrett also sell what I would regard as quack remedies, so... it's difficult to find retailers that you agree with 100%

cobweb

Quote harpy View Post
    it's difficult to find retailers that you agree with 100%
    understatement of the year
    I don't like the Jesus Army bit though, either

I just googled Jesus Army, and it doesn't really bother me (much), if they can provide me with well priced Vegan food delivered to my door, it saves me having to go to the supermarket where some of the staff think tofu is something you say after sneezing

H&B might be a bit dubious at times, but the Jesus Army take it a whole lot further, especially regarding animal rights since they own their own intensive pig farms and the like. I have fond childhood memories of the Goodness retail stores (used to live in Northamptonshire where most of the JA's operation is based) and their members in our street were pretty good neighbours - nonetheless after finding out about the pig farming bit I think their morals are down there with some of the supermarket chains. And since they take more effort than a supermarket to shop with, I don't bother.
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it

I went to a local H&B to get some Frys wok strips today and hardly any foods inthe chiller/freezer - all Frys gone and just quorn/tival and those soggy vegan quiches.

The manager said all about the costs and that people were not happy to buy them, I did say it was a real shame there were no vegan products - hardly in the chiller/freezer - he said they are as a company looking to improve this and did mention Redwoods.

If I can I buy from the Vegan One Earth shop in Birmingham or from Rosemarys health store in Worcester but both of those are 15-20 miles away and I don't drive and to get them home ok needs a cool bag and freezer blocks really, so not always practical. I will miss the H&B for Frys option.

I do use Goodness foods sometimes and the Jesus Army are pretty big in the area there - I have been shopping there since my early childhood as we have family in Northampton and every time we went we always called in at Goodness foods and Daily Bread cooperative as they were the only real health food shops we knew - parents use to go there to stock up on the veggie foods in the 70's/80's. I remember seeing the Jesus bus go out on its rounds and it still parks up in the town centre giving out leaflets these days - Daily Bread was excellent - Christian run cooperative but not like the Jesus Army - they are very much a 'cult'

I will email H&B - pity the small independant health store in my local town does not have space for a freezer - think Frys would sell well. They now have a fridge there which is a real bonus.

Quote Lisey_duck View Post
    regarding animal rights since they own their own intensive pig farms and the like
    THIS I WAS NOT AWARE OF. I think I will be sticking with Veggiestuff.com (this & veganstore are my primary online shops) and NaturalGrocery.co.uk , I just need to find an online shop that sells Booja Booja Ice Cream and I will be set, fingers crossed suma reopen their online shop soon.

I've been talking to Fry's (in South Africa) by email and what they've told me is that Beanies who import Fry's products could afford to absorb the 4% price increase but have chosen to 'make a stand' with H&B 'against what they refer to as unethical business by H&B'. Fry's themselves say they are hoping to start production in the UK in the 'not too distant future' but need to sell more product before they can put a factory here.

Thank you, Risker Straight from the horse's mouth.

Message from Beanies

Yes, I’m afraid that FRY’S have been de-listed by Holland & Barrett! There are rumours flying around that we tried to increase our prices by 20% - this is incorrect - we recently tried to implement a 4% price increase (only the 2nd price increase in 10 years) as our storage, transport and import costs have gone through the roof. However H&B want us to freeze our prices and we cannot afford to do this. Holland & Barrett were already taking FRY’S at a discounted price from us AND adding another 3% on top of our RRP (recommended retail price). They required a minimum 50% profit margin – they also required us to partake in all their in store promotions – buy one get one free, buy on get one half price – who do you think paid for that? WE DID! Holland & Barrett never drop their profit margin, so every promotion sets us back £5000 and we had already partaken in two this year. We were paying them to stock FRY’S. We’re a small family business and we are determined to keep distributing the FRY’S range during these difficult economic times, but we won’t be able to do so if we supply H&B at a loss to ourselves (and a profit to them!). This is a carefully considered business decision that wasn’t taken lightly – we realise that there will be a loss of distribution, but we cannot allow big businesses to tell us how to run our company or we won’t be trading at all!

Oh wow...

Thanks Risker - not really surprised, somehow I still haven't heard back from H&B incidentally, has anyone else?

The Beanies website says the pricing issue has been resolved now.

Quote soumya86 View Post
    The Beanies website says the pricing issue has been resolved now.
    Fantastic news soumya86.

Here is a quote from the site
    "The hiccough regarding pricing of our FRY'S products with Holland & Barrett has been resolved and therefore Holland & Barrett will soon be stocking the full range of FRY'S products within their stores with freezers."

Thanks for the update soumya - glad to hear it! (And hello by the way.) ETA my H&B still seemed to have loads of Fry's stuff yesterday so maybe they hadn't heard about the hiccup (or hiccough - not seen it spelled that way for a while!)

hai! yeah, I really hope they didn't sell out to them and let the company control them though. I'm writing to some local health stores, co-op and waitrose to stock Fry's.

Quote soumya86 View Post
    I really hope they didn't sell out to them and let the company control them though
    I agree, my local health food shop is too small for a freezer, but they have a branch in a different town that stocks Frys so I will leave them in peace (I'm going to start nagging them about twilight bars though).

Welcome to the forum by the way

It was clearly all a sales ploy! How many other vindictive vegans rushed off to their local store to pick up the last box of burgers or whathaveyou?

Doh.

Cheers for the detective work, and welcome. Glad they managed to sort it out. Mmmmm, sausages n' schnitzel.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote Gwydion View Post
    It was clearly all a sales ploy! How many other vindictive vegans rushed off to their local store to pick up the last box of burgers or whathaveyou?
    I didn't think about this very valid point.