Thread: Food types you have never eaten, but really want to try

Default Food types you have never eaten, but really want to try

This thread is for foods or food types you have never eaten, but really want to try. Perhaps you could also say why you have never had them.

I'll start in post number two.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Default Re: I have never eaten...

Morel Mushrooms

I have only in the past year found out I actually like mushrooms, previously thinking I hated them, but I've not seen any morels anywhere, and expect they might be rather pricey if I did.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

*live*&*let*live

Vegan sushi, got most of the ingredients to make it and the mat to roll, but not got round to it. Mmmm, just thinking about it makes me wanna eat it!

RubyDuby

durian.

I hadn't even seen it anywhere until recently, and when I did it was so expensive I didn't want to buy it not knowing if it was ripe or edible or how to eat it...

also yuca. I can't find it.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

*live*&*let*live

^curious not even heard of them^

That's funny RubyDuby - I was thinking durian too, before I read your message. I don't think I've actually encountered one and I'm not 100% sure whether I want to try it or not.

There's some other supposedly evil-smelling fruit that it would be interesting to have but I can't think what it's called - oh, is it mangosteen?

RubyDuby

I saw a couple of durian for sale in an asian grocery store.
    I'm pretty sure I've never seen mangosteen either.

yuca = cassava. I've seen other forum members mention having that before and somebody posted a pic of the yuca tortillas from vcon in the pics of good food thread.

There's something else I've been wanting to try, but I can't remember what it was. I was on the look out in the asian grocer... TVP chunks and something else.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I've actually had cassava in Indian and African restaurants - it seems very much like potato to me though I gather it's more trouble to prepare.

TVP chunks - just say no. (Although some people seem to like them.)

Vegan Marshmallows

i want to try them, but am waiting till they are vaguely sensibly priced.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Vegannaise

I've heard of it, but back when I was a carnivore I thought Mayonnaise was the most disgusting thing in the world. Fat mixed with sugar. So I'm not sure I'm willing to try the vegan kind.
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

Jicama
    Red bananas
    Red quinoa
    Vegan white chocolate
    Oat, hemp or quinoa milk

Never heard of red bananas, or red quinoa. Sounds intriguing

My local health food store sells red quinoa. I should pick up a box sometime soon.

helen105281

Red quinoa is nice I often mix the two types together. Red bananas did not taste much different really.

I've never tried tempeh!
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

*live*&*let*live

Quote Enchantress View Post
    Jicama
    Red bananas
    Red quinoa
    Vegan white chocolate
    Oat, hemp or quinoa milk
    Oat milk is lovely but sweet, I recommend it on cereal and coffee as opposed to tea. I have seen red bananas but not tried them yet either. Let me know what you think! :smile:

Quote fiamma View Post
    They look like raisins that you find in dodgy cheap curries years ago (may still do them, but I don't get them!)

I know something that we ALL haven't eaten (in a loooong time.................)
    ANIMALS YAY!!!!!!!!

Quote Kate1978 View Post
    I've never tried tempeh!
    You're not missing much
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I love tempeh - it's great marinated and grilled.

Quote harpy View Post
    That's funny RubyDuby - I was thinking durian too, before I read your message. I don't think I've actually encountered one and I'm not 100% sure whether I want to try it or not.

There's some other supposedly evil-smelling fruit that it would be interesting to have but I can't think what it's called - oh, is it mangosteen?
    Mangosteen is gorgeous and definitely not smelly! The outside is hard and red/purple, and the fresh fruit inside is very small and white, extremely sweet and fragrant. It's usually pretty expensive though- probably pay 80p-£1 to eat something the size of a very small clementine!

I bought a durian from China Town a few years ago. The flesh inside tastes like onion-flavoured vanilla custard. It's quite nice, in a weird way, but because I ate too much of it, I went off the taste a bit. The spikey shell smells a bit like a sewer, but not as bad as people say!

I would like to try: sapotes, jicama, carob pods, vegan marshmallow fluff (ricemallow?), vegan tiramisu

Quote Kate1978 View Post
    I've never tried tempeh!
    I hadn't until the start of this year, and now it's my favourite protein portion

It reminds me a bit of Quorn in texture*, but I don't get a gut stabbing stomach ache after eating it, so that's a reason even veggies should favour it over Quorn.

*Which makes sense as they are both based on fungal mycelia.

*live*&*let*live

^ Is it like Tofu? I didn't like marinated Tofu (unless someone can recommend a specific brand won't try it again) Elsie loved it tho'
    The brand I tried was Clear Spot from Abel & Cole Blerrgh..
    I quite like the sound of battered Tempeh what is that like?

Its not really like tofu, well, not to me. If you get a choice to have a 'nom' give it a go

Quote harpy View Post

TVP chunks - just say no. (Although some people seem to like them.)
    I happen to be one of them! Love 'em.

*live*&*let*live

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Its not really like tofu, well, not to me. If you get a choice to have a 'nom' give it a go
    What is a nom please?

Quote loveganism View Post
    Mangosteen is gorgeous and definitely not smelly! The outside is hard and red/purple, and the fresh fruit inside is very small and white, extremely sweet and fragrant. It's usually pretty expensive though- probably pay 80p-£1 to eat something the size of a very small clementine!

I bought a durian from China Town a few years ago. The flesh inside tastes like onion-flavoured vanilla custard. It's quite nice, in a weird way, but because I ate too much of it, I went off the taste a bit. The spikey shell smells a bit like a sewer, but not as bad as people say!

I would like to try: sapotes, jicama, carob pods, vegan marshmallow fluff (ricemallow?), vegan tiramisu
    Ugk! My grandmother used to always buy durian and it would make my whole fridge stink! Her and my stepmother loovvee it. The smell is so vile I could never bring myself to try it.

Avocado
    Toasted panini's
    Mango
    Quinoa
    Vegan mayo
    Plantain
    Sweet potato
    Frappuchino of any kind
    Banoffee pie
    Pomegranate
    Seitan

I only tasted blueberries about eight months ago (I'm 22!) Although for most of those listed above, it was my ED stopping me....
    vegan and proud.

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    Vegan sushi, got most of the ingredients to make it and the mat to roll, but not got round to it. Mmmm, just thinking about it makes me wanna eat it!
    And.... just for you, a picture of some of tonight's dinner. Homemade sushi. First time I've done it, and it's really not as hard as I thought.

(click to embiggify)

You can also buy some from Wilkinsons sometimes... which is always nice

What is a nom please?
    Its the noise you make when you eat things, and hence also a word for something tasty. You need to look at more lolcats

Jippia

There are probably a lot of things I have never eaten, because they are not available or hard to come by in the Netherlands. Or they were a bit above my budget. Both vegan and omni things. For instance, I have never eaten rabbit. Only hare once and that was more than two decades ago. There are some cheeses I wanted to try, but then I went vegan and I just never did or will. When it comes to things vegans can eat, I have never eaten cactus figs, fresh figs, several tropical fruits (rambutan, mangosteen, jackfruit, etc), vegan marshmallows, mock duck and other such things you can buy at Chinese grocery stores, hemp/guinoa/hazelnut milk. I am sure there are more things, but this is what I can think of right now.

What is a nom please?
    Methinks it means like "nosh", you know, if you have the chance to try it.

*live*&*let*live

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    And.... just for you, a picture of some of tonight's dinner. Homemade sushi. First time I've done it, and it's really not as hard as I thought.

(click to embiggify)

You can also buy some from Wilkinsons sometimes... which is always nice

Its the noise you make when you eat things, and hence also a word for something tasty. You need to look at more lolcats

Oh that looks great! What did you use? I have the seaweed to roll in, the rice, the vinegar, some wasabi, cucumber do I need anything else? I have the mat too. I get the 'nom' now I was reading it as literally I need to try a nom if I get chance! I understand now silly me!

*live*&*let*live

Quote firstandthen View Post
    Avocado
    Toasted panini's
    Mango
    Quinoa
    Vegan mayo
    Plantain
    Sweet potato
    Frappuchino of any kind
    Banoffee pie
    Pomegranate
    Seitan

I only tasted blueberries about eight months ago (I'm 22!) Although for most of those listed above, it was my ED stopping me....

Oh I do hope you are living and 'managing' with your ED now....Avocado's are one of the best fruits, pack full of tons of nutrients,toasted paninis great with spinach, tomato, onion and hummus, vegan mayo slurp! sweet potato also very good for nutrients but not as good as the avocado, gorgeous - just gorgeous! Mangoes are yummy when just ripe enough. OH loves banoffee pie, can't say it's one of my faves, pomegranate are also super good for you just a pain in the arse for picking out the seeds. Sometimes I have found that they are a bit gritty and sour but ok I guess. Never had Seitan! Let us know what you think if you have it.......

What is a nom please?
    Isn't it the sound you make when you something tasty? NOM NOM?

I want to try vegan tiramisu!! I was a huge tiramisu freak before becoming vegan and I miss it like no other...
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Vegan Marshmallows

don't hold your breath.

Inspiral's tiramisu cake comes fairly close to my memories of the non-vegan version. i'm sure better cooks than me could make a vegan one easily enough...

i can't think of anything i want to try that i've never had before. if i haven't eaten it, it's probably because i don't want to.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

*live*&*let*live

Quote loveganism View Post
    Isn't it the sound you make when you something tasty? NOM NOM?

Aww, is that your puddy cat? Cool kitty cake.
    Looks like someone has had to drag him off in the second pic....

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Vegan Marshmallows

I just got an e-mail from the people are veganstore.co.uk about new marshmallows, coming soon.

Marshmallows - we will also be launching a new brand of marshmallows (not the kits) from mid August. We'll send out an e shot as soon as we have more information.
    Sadly, their P&P is a bit hefty, so I might need to buy others things in order to justify them, if they are at a reasonable price.

I have bought Dandies from iHerb, the shipping is pretty reasonable.

Things I haven't eaten but want to try... hmm I will have to think about that
    Houmous atá ann!

I have never eaten chicken or been drinking coffee.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote Korn View Post
    I have never eaten chicken or been drinking coffee.
    You want to try chicken? I'm afraid we're going to have to change your account status.

I want to try truffles.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I second (or third, or wherever we're at) both natto and jicama. I'd also like to try vegan smoked salmon, which apparently is a thing, collard greens, cardoons, salsify, nettles, and fat hen (especially the seeds, which I hear are a lot like quinoa).
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

I've tried natto, it has a fermented taste. I like it but I don't get it very often. The last time I got it I burnt it cooking from frozen in the microwave and the smell was quite... pervasive!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Risker View Post
    You want to try chicken? I'm afraid we're going to have to change your account status.

I want to try truffles.
    Ooops, I just read the (now changed) thread title and not the "want to try" part!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I had a think about it and decided on tiramisu. I've never had it.

I'm sure I will think of other things.

Oh I bought a tin of jackfruit yesterday and plan to make something with it over the weekend. I guess that counts!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I had a think about it and decided on tiramisu. I've never had it.
    Still haven't tred it three months later, will have to get on it!
    Houmous atá ann!