25 17.73%
  • No

62 43.97%
  • No, but I have an intolerance/intolerances

54 38.30%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Food allergies

Default Hives

I have been a bit stressed and have suddenly developed what appears to be a food sensitivity. Something is bringing my face out in painful red scaly blotches (hives?). Some days it seems to be almost gone and then it comes back.

Have arranged to see the GP next week but in the meantime am trying to nail the cause by keeping a diary of food and symptoms. Prime suspects at the moment are strawberries and/or peanuts, so I'll be avoiding those, but I have two questions for other people who suffer from this sort of thing or know about it:

1) What would be good to soothe the skin? I've tried various moisturisers, antihistamine cream and calamine lotion but they all make the burning sensation worse. Have taken a couple of antihistamine tablets when it's been bad and they do help a bit but I don't like taking them.

2) What would be a vegan starting point for an elimination diet if I need to do one? I've seen rice and lamb suggested - would rice and beans be a vegan equivalent, I wonder? Not many people are sensitive to beans are they?

All advice gratefully received.

BlackCats

Default Re: Food Allergies? Eating things you shouldn't?

Harpy - I think I have had that reaction to strawberries when I was younger, When I get any reaction to anything I just drink lots of water to flush it out of my system and do not use any cream or lotion until the redness/ burning feeling has completely subsided.
    Thats just my experience anyway, I'm not sure about elimination diet thing?

Thank you, Aphrodite - I will follow your suggestion of drinking plenty of water. I'm quite thirsty anyway so it won't be difficult.

It would be better if I knew what I'm trying to flush out so I can avoid putting any more of it in It's not only strawberries unfortunately as I haven't had any for a couple of weeks but the reaction thing has come back. The elimination diet would help with that - you eliminate almost everything and then add things back in one at a time to see what causes the reaction - but it's a bit drastic.

BlackCats

Harpy - I find that anything I have an allergic reaction to tends to be anything I have strong cravings for - its really annoying. Coffee I really crave but I try to stay away because it produces very strong reaction in me.

I have had a reaction to brie before and I used to love that as well. It gave me a rash all around my wrists it looked like I had been wearing handcuffs - Lol

Thank you - I will think about that. You had a double motive for avoiding brie then!

Can't think of anything I particularly crave offhand. I have been eating quite a bit of chocolate lately (stress management ) but I had laid off it for the past couple of days so it's not that (or not only that).

You could try eating things like barley and quinoa for your elimination diet. Try to pick items that you don't consume that often or recently since those items are most likely not related to your allergic reaction. Ofcourse wheat, gluten, soy, and nuts are all allergy culprits. Try to eliminate them from your diet one at a time, if it's possible. For your rash, you might want to try a homeopathic pill of some sort.
    Good Luck
    I have had loads of food allergies and I know it's no fun trying to figure them out!

Quote angelamc View Post
    You could try eating things like barley and quinoa for your elimination diet.
    As long as you're not gluten-sensitive; I was surprised to find that barley contains gluten--as does rye.

Quote angelamc View Post
    You could try eating things like barley and quinoa for your elimination diet. Try to pick items that you don't consume that often or recently since those items are most likely not related to your allergic reaction. Ofcourse wheat, gluten, soy, and nuts are all allergy culprits. Try to eliminate them from your diet one at a time, if it's possible. For your rash, you might want to try a homeopathic pill of some sort.
    Good Luck
    I have had loads of food allergies and I know it's no fun trying to figure them out!
    Thanks Angela - food diary suggests culprit is the rather obvious one, peanuts, and after avoiding them for a couple of days I'm feeling better though still a bit red and scaly looking Not sure about the strawberries. So anyway I'm hoping I won't have to do the elimination diet, but will remember your ideas if I do.

Aphrodite's suggestion of drinking a lot of water also seemed to help.

I've never had anything like this before and am a bit indignant that it's caught up with me now - the rest of you have my sympathy.

cobweb

Harpy - sorry to hear that . As peanuts can sometimes harbour unseen moulds it could be that which is causing the problem .

Well, cobweb, they were the best peanuts but still...

frank language, I seem to be OK re gluten fortunately but wheat bran is another story. Worried everyone will think I'm just being neurotic but fortunately, in a way, the hives or whatever they are have been quite impressive.

For the skin rash use ALoe Vera gel... it does not burn at all and it works very quickli. you can get it from Fresh and Wild or Holland and barrett (at least it works for me!)

Thanks Manzana - I'll try that if the rash comes back. Latest theory is that it's my conditioner that brings on the rash so I'm giving that a miss for now (as well as peanuts and strawberries ).

I saw the doc and he thought that it was yeast-related sebhorreic dermatitis and prescribed what seems to be a cortisone cream - couldn't be bothered pointing out that I'd already tried one, but I won't get the prescription filled unless all else fails.

hope you find out what's causing it and it clears up soon, harpy, it sounds horrible.

Cheers Gorilla - it's actually OK most of the time until whatever the trigger is happens. Just hoping my latest theory is correct!

It's a very ideologically sound seeming conditioner (Australian Organics) but it has a lot of plant extracts in it so maybe one of those doesn't agree with me. I had a similar thing with a Tom's of Maine deodorant once, only that time the rash was on my armpits of course

steven1222

For more than a year, I have noticed problems after eating potatoes. Aside from the fact that they typically pass through my body mostly undigested, I have also had headaches, a 20% increase in heart rate, slight difficulty breathing, and swelling of the chest. Could this be an allergy?

I had developed mild intolerances to casein and lactose, but I no longer classify cow products as food.

I had peanut butter Puffins for breakfast and Fritos at work. For dessert I had swelling of the throat and for an encore I expect blackheads on the outside of my eustachian tubes.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Think my lergy must have been from that conditioner, as since it I stopped using it it's more or less cleared up. I'm OK with peanuts, not sure about strawberries as I seemed to have a bit of a flareup after eating one last week (yes, one )

Anyway, the score in the diagnostic competition is harpy:1 doctor:0

Thanks, everyone, for the support, it really helped.

glad you're better and have a good idea of what caused it harpy

Quote Gorilla View Post
    glad you're better and have a good idea of what caused it harpy
    Thanks, Gorilla - am going to experiment with strawberries, sometime when I don't have any social events planned.

cobweb

I'm noticing that my tonsils swell up a little and my throat feels sore and scratchy when I drink almost any herbal/fruit tea these days, but particularly anything with berries, mint, or chamomile. They're all organic so it's not a pesticide thing . Any ideas?.

Default Food allergies - Diagnosis du jour?

I was in a veggie place in York the other day & witnesses a customer ask if the soup was vegan. This was confirmed. She then went on to ask did it contain onions or "members of the nightshade family" - by which she meant potatoes or tomatoes. She then complained loudly when there was no food for her. The staff were bending over backwards to help as she rejected offer after offer on different grounds - Having established that she couldn't/wouldn't eat dairy, eggs, tomatoes, potatoes, mushrooms, gluten & sugar a manger advised her that she should perhaps she ought to think about not eating out!

I hear this kind of stuff from all quarters these days. Are we all really riddled with allergies, or are they, as I suspect, imaginary malidies? It also drives me nuts when folks are aggrieved that vega*n places can't acter to their very specific requirements..... It's like they misunderstand what the cafes are about... and it seems so common.

Default Re: Food allergies- Diagnosis du jour?

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    perhaps she ought to think about not eating out!
    how rude!

BlackCats

I had a reaction to drinking coffee and I got a rash like a burn around my mouth and on my face and my throat felt really sore when I started drinking a lot of coffee when I was about 23 years old and it took me a while to realise what the culprit was. I had a cup recently to see if I still got a reaction (stupidly!) and then had stomach cramps after so I avoid coffee for that reason. I really love the taste and the smell of coffee and I would definitely drink it if I could. I don't know of it would be considered an allergic reaction or a food intolerance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_intolerance

(I get skin reactions to lots of moisturisers, bubble baths etc as well. It's very annoying.)

Most people with very restricted diets would probably check before going to a small restaurant or cafe - maybe she'd eaten there before without problems, or maybe they had told her on the phone it wouldn't be a problem?

It sounds like she would have been better off going to a chain restaurant like Pizza Express where she would have known she could have eaten something.

*lights blue touchpaper and steps back - hee hee!*

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    It also drives me nuts when folks are aggrieved that vega*n places can't acter to their very specific requirements..... It's like they misunderstand what the cafes are about... and it seems so common.
    As a vegan I expect 'vega*n places' to be able to cater to my requirements. I don't think the lady in question was trying to be awkward deliberately........why would she? She was probably hungry and just wanted something to eat like everybody else.
    She would be a strange sort of person who thought........'Oh, I know I'll go into a cafe today and make a fuss about food just for the fun of it, as I like the embarrassment of everyone staring at me!'

People can be allergic to all sorts of things but it is particularly troublesome when it involves an allergy to certain foods.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I think it's a bit much to expect to be catered for when your diet is that restricted and you haven't rung up beforehand to check what the situation is. If a guest turned up for dinner and complained loudly that I didn't have any food for them I would be a bit pissed - it would have been just courtesy to call me a day or two earlier.
    My son is on a special diet (in addition to being vegan) as he has a serious bowel condition arising from severe food poisoning a few years ago. He doesn't eat out or expect us to cook for him because all his menus are planned by a dietician.
    Silent but deadly :p

You'll have to trust me on this, but the manager was gentle and polite & she was phenomenally rude & aggressive. I wondered if she'd get up to such antics in say, Pizza Express? I wanted to say to her that the ethic is veggie, for moral reasons & that's all the restaurant claims. I wonder why folks repeatedly make this mistake.... perhaps it's the association with health food.

I can't cope with rude people any more, I'd have said something like, "You can have a nice plate of hemlock on the house" or something if that had been me
    Silent but deadly :p

Seafood = death for me!

I think that lady was abit rude tbh.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    how rude!
    I would have said the same. She should have checked in advance. I hope her behaviour hasn't made anyone think that all vegans are like that. (actually, by the sound of it I doubt she even was vegan)
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I don't think it's just allergies or fads - various foods have been linked to medical conditions so people sometimes need to avoid them for those reasons.

For example, I have a friend who's been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and (under clinical guidance) is trying eliminating different foods from her diet to see if it helps. She is a great eater-outer and seems to be managing OK by checking with the places in advance, even though she has quite a few restrictions currently.

If she was going out of her way to be rude, there is no excuse for that. I do think however she has a right to question what she is going to eat. Too many times, when eating out, I have been given food that contains an ingredient I specifically stated I did not want............as I said though, there is NO need for rudeness.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Jippia

I do not have an allergy to foods as far as I know. Maybe large amounts of dairy. Two days ago, we had dinner at a restaurant and I ordered pilaf of rice, which really appeared to be risotto and probably had cheese in it. Romanian cheese is not always very strong in taste. I did eat something, but when we got home and the day after that, my stomach was still upset and I was having belly cramps. I have had it once before, after eating at a pancake restaurant, where they made me a pancake without milk or eggs, but I forgot to ask for oil instead of butter. Sounds like an intolerance to me, so if my parents want to take us out for dinner, I will tell the waiter to make me something vegetarian without cheese or cream or butter, because they make me feel sick. I am not sure whether I had this as a child. I did have this stomach ailment every once and a while, where I would get diarrhea first, then constipation and the third day, things were going back to normal. I have not had that since I went vegan. I know that most vegans are more or less lactose intolerant. Do you think I can be lactose intolerant - having those cramps and such after eating cheese and butter?

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

I have severe food allergies to ALL animal and fish proteins, and citrus fruits. Even the smell of fish and meat being cooked can trigger an Anaphylactic attack in me.

My last attack was in 2004 and I ended up with stomach and facial hemorhaging for 4 months.

My allergies are hereditary, and I've been tested twice.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Quote Hemlock View Post
    I think it's a bit much to expect to be catered for when your diet is that restricted and you haven't rung up beforehand to check what the situation is. If a guest turned up for dinner and complained loudly that I didn't have any food for them I would be a bit pissed - it would have been just courtesy to call me a day or two earlier.
    My son is on a special diet (in addition to being vegan) as he has a serious bowel condition arising from severe food poisoning a few years ago. He doesn't eat out or expect us to cook for him because all his menus are planned by a dietician.
    Interesting. I'd like to hear more about your son's dietary restrictions.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Default Allergies

A friend of mine is interested in veganism. She indicated kind of ambiguously that she is vegan in her head, like she kind of agrees with it philosophically. But her interest seems to be recent, just since she started talking to me a few weeks ago, and she still eats meat. The problem is.... she has a lot of allergies. She is allergic to soy in certain forms; the more processed it is, the less likely she'll be allergic. She said she could handle tofu, but very recently she started getting reactions to tofu. She can't drink soymilk. She is allergic to a lot of raw foods, like avocado and some other fruits (I forgot which). She's allergic to beans as well.

The other night she came back from a trip to Mexico and showed me her arms, which were breaking out all over. She told me she is really stressed out by her body right now, as well as emotionally, and really wants to try to work some things out this summer. At one point, she said, "I can't be vegan because of my allergies." She really is still trying to figure out what she is allergic to and what not, because she just develops more allergies as she gets older. And then to add veganism on top of that, I'm not going to ask her to do that. But if she is really interested, I'd like to try to help her figure it out. (I'd love for her to get into veganism... she is really a radical kind of person and really, really caring.)

So has anyone else here dealt with severe allergy problems or similar? How have you dealt with it?

Thanks.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

pathologist

Default Re: Food allergies - Diagnosis du jour?

i think its quite surprising for someone with an allergy not to ring up and check what was on offer before hand - quite a lot of allergies can be a bit fatal if one accidentally takes only a tiny bit of the offending food - so really I think it is in the person's best interests not to take any risks at all! Similarly if its not really an allergy as such in the biological sense but its a food that makes you feel really ill to eat - then you's be quite daft not to make sure that it was not the only thing on offer.

Windfall

Default Re: Food allergies - Diagnosis du jour?

I think it was just ruse on both parts... The woman should have phoned and checked though, I feel sorry for the waitress...

I'm allergic to all fish and and seafood... not that it makes the slightest difference - wouldn't touch the stuff anyway, but makes me worrried about travelling, especially to Thailand where they use fish sauces in a lot of stuff.

Also to some nuts, brazils, hazelnuts and walnuts, my throat swells up if I eat them.

Default Re: Allergies

Really? No one else has dealt with severe allergy problems? I think this shows how worthless preaching is!

Well, I've no experience of food allergies so can't advise anything. Mostly replying to bump this up.

I wish your friend all the best and hope she can find a reasonable vegan diet which doesn't make her ill. In the mean time, maybe she could work on getting rid of and not buying new animal products eg shoes, clothes etc.? It sounds from her case that going vegan slowly is the best way forward. I normally tell people just go for it, cos I went omni to vegan in a month (food-wise anyway).

Does she see a doctor specialising in allergies and/or nutritionist? Any support groups IRL or online? Though these might not be informed about veganism (and may indeed be hostile). Just that it sounds like she is really suffering with the allergies and not being sure what will trigger them next etc.

I believe we have had a few people with soy allergies and also people who avoid soy for other reasons - there are a few relevant threads e.g. http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14887

A soy-less vegan diet definitely seems doable (although perhaps difficult if you rely a lot on ready-made food). The allergies to fruits and beans might be harder to manage though, as you might end up with quite a limited diet. Perhaps it would be easier for your friend to try veganism once she has a clearer idea of what she can safely eat, but as Anne has suggested she could do non-dietary vegan things in the meantime.

http://www.vegfamily.com/health/vegan-food-allergies.htm
    http://vegkitchen.com/tips/when-soy-annoys.htm
    http://www.foodallergysurvivalguide.com/

I am allergic to wheat, soy and nuts. It is not hard to be a vegan. You just have to be willing to do some research and once you find a diet that works for you, it is easy

rxseeeyse

I'm not sure if I am allergic to anything so I chose no. But I do feel pain in my stomach today after I ate some wheat noodles with lettuce. I don't think I can be allergic to lettuce because I eat them all the time, nor wheat because I eat them all the time too...but I think I should definately get this checked.

Question Food allergies.

I need some help finding replacements for avocados and bananas. They are both super high in nutrients, but I'm allergic to both. Does anyone know what I can replace these with in recipes as well as which other fruits or veggies can give me the same nutritional value.

Default Re: Food allergies.

Maybe for me also. Not because I'm allergic to these fruits, banana is OK, but avocado is not easily accessible in my place and don't want to eat too much nuts instead. Any good idea?

Default Re: Food allergies

Just everything else! Eat more variety.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Default Re: Food allergies.

Quote erin morrison View Post
    I need some help finding replacements for avocados and bananas. They are both super high in nutrients, but I'm allergic to both. Does anyone know what I can replace these with in recipes as well as which other fruits or veggies can give me the same nutritional value.
    As far as texture and consistency, pumpkin or winter squashes can take the place of banana in baking or in smoothies, though they might change the taste a bit. Butternut squash, if cooked and sweetened, would be somewhat closer as it is a little more bland than other squashes on its own. Sometimes if I want a thick creamy smoothie but don't want to use a banana I might use cantaloupe or peaches instead since they have less water in them than other fruits and are more dense so they work to add that creaminess that banana adds to stuff.

Avocado would be a little harder to replace but coconut might help as far as a high fat, creamy sort of fruit, though the taste is way different. Fresh coconut from a Thai coconut thrown in the blender or food processor can whip up a creamy concoction similar to avocado. I think in terms of nutritional value the two aren't too different. If you take canned coconut milk (full fat), put it in the refrigerator still sealed and unopened and store it upside down, then a few hours later take it out and open it you get the thick creamy rich solid coconut on the top. People often scoop that cream out and use it in recipes that call for a higher fat substance. I have even used it to make my own vegan mayonnaise along with blanched almonds, spices like turmeric and garlic, a little dijon, and cider vinegar. I think it is way better than store bought mayo. I have made avocado mayo (with lemon juice in place of cider vinegar) also and aside from the color the two versions aren't that much different in taste.

Hope this helps!