25 17.73%
  • No

62 43.97%
  • No, but I have an intolerance/intolerances

54 38.30%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Food allergies

Default Food allergies

When I eat nuts I get stabbing pains in my gut, I get a tightness in my throat and sometimes a skin rash.

At the moment I am getting symptoms such as what I have described, as well as nausea and extreme fatigue. I don't know what it is at this point.

Lactose intolerant, though that's not an issue now. I also think the same for wheat.

i think i was intolerant to cows' milk because i had a myserious rash which went away after i cut it out of my diet. it was never diagnosed by a doctor or anything but it seems like more than coincidence to me.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I am lactose intolerant and am allergic to wheat. I did not know about the wheat allergy until a few months ago when I eliminated it out of my diet.

im allergic to dairy, eggs, and i get deathly sick when i eat wheat (celiac).
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

julieruble

Is it a particular type of nut that causes you problems, or all nuts?

I wanted to warn you, nut allergies are developing allergies... they get worse with every exposure. The symptoms you describe sound like an allergy to me (see the list of symptoms below). This is highly dangerous!!

Please stop eating nuts, but not only that, remove all nut products (and products saying they've been manufactured where nuts have been) from your home! Even touching nuts can be bad for you if you have a nut allergy. Also, please invest in an EpiPen -- a prepared shot of adrenaline/epinephrine that you can inject if you ever feel you're going through anaphylactic shock, which is where your airway swells shut and prevents breathing. The adrenaline can stop the reaction, and can save your life in the case of an emergency! You can probably get these at a drugstore, but I'd also recommend visiting a doctor and letting him/her know about this allergy so you can get some prescribed.

Here are the symptoms of a nut allergy:
    Nut allergy can produce:
    -A tingling feeling in the lips or mouth
    -An itchy nettlerash (urticaria, hives), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
    -Swelling (angioedema), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
    -Swelling in the throat, causing difficulty in swallowing or breathing
    -Asthma symptoms
    -Vomiting
    -Cramping tummy pains
    -Diarrhea
    -Faintness and unconsciousness
    -Death due to obstruction to breathing or more rarelyextreme low blood pressure (anaphylactic shock)

Remember, just because the reaction wasn't too bad this time doesn't mean that next time it won't be an emergency, so please be careful!! I don't mean to scare you, and I know this information is frightening, but I am worried for your safety!

Here's a webpage on nut allergies: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/nuts.htm

Quote Banana
    When I eat nuts I get stabbing pains in my gut, I get a tightness in my throat and sometimes a skin rash.

At the moment I am getting symptoms such as what I have described, as well as nausea and extreme fatigue. I don't know what it is at this point.

its easy to get tested for nut allergies, a blood test is all thats needed.
    my daughter has a nut allergy and showed the symptoms julieruble stated before going into anaphalactic shock.
    ask your doctor to refer you and set your mind at rest.

Thanx guys - I had a blood test today, so I will find out tomorrow. I also cleared out my Inbox

No allergies appeared on my blood test - but I am going to avoid nuts anyway. I know how they make me feel and I know my own body. What do you all think?

if nothing appeared then you probabaly arent allergic to nuts, as a blood test would definately show that up - however if nuts make you feel bad, just leave them out! you may well just have an intolerance not an allergy.

I have a severe allergy to dairy (not lactose intolerant, allergy to milk protein) and allergies to certain food colourings, mainly "sunset yellow" and tatrazine.

If I eat any product with MSG in it my Tounge taste buds bcome sore and lumpy and my tounge feels very numb.....and all food becomes tasteless untill it gos down about 12 hours later usualy....MSG is the spawn of satan anyway so I am glad my body hates it.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

I have a severe allergy to dairy (not lactose intolerant, allergy to milk protein)
    Me too Meil Miette, but not a serious one though; more of an intolerance than an allergy.... I began experimenting about 2 and a half years ago, with not eating dairy for a few days then starting eating it again... Just to see. It did give me stomach cramps, bad digestion etc... It also seemed worse when I hadn't eaten it for two weeks then started to eat it again. I was planning to go vegan anyway, so it's no great loss!

Thought I'd miss cheese, but I don't.

Quote snaffler
    If I eat any product with MSG in it my Tounge taste buds bcome sore and lumpy and my tounge feels very numb.....and all food becomes tasteless untill it gos down about 12 hours later usualy....MSG is the spawn of satan anyway so I am glad my body hates it.
    OMG! That sounds nasty Snaffler! But yes, MSG is bad... I can't say I consume it on a daily basis at all. It seems to be a regular ingredient in convenience foods, like crisps for example...I don't eat crisps very much, if I do it's 'cos I'm desperate and there's nothing else to eat.

I couldn't eat dairy from when I was a very small baby. I pretty much grew up without it.

what are some symptoms of a wheat allergy or wheat sensitivity??

I have intolerances that border on allergy but they're too many to list here.

Quote LyricSarah
    what are some symptoms of a wheat allergy or wheat sensitivity??
    I think it is similar to any allergy - bloating, gut pain, gas, rashes etc

im allergic to pineapple if i eat it my whole mouth swells up. i mean BIG swelling. i remember once my throat started to close and i have to be on an iv at the hospital....why must i be allergic to something sooooooo yummy! also i am lactose intolerant but doesnt matter anymore

I don't have any allergies, but I have noticed recently that eating grapes seems to make me feel bad afterwards.... Maybe I just eat too many in one sitting!

On Monday night I ate two date and almond rolls. My throat tightened and I got an instant headache and nausea. Tonight I ate two date and coconut rolls - I feel fine . No more eating nuts just coz they taste good

a little lactose intolerance... and I think that's all...
    One day, I'll die from an Asian junk food overdose ! lol

i am allergic to propolis (some kind of honey side product) but that's obviously not a problem anymore. it used to make my mouth get sore and swell up.

i also can't eat strawberries. i don't think i'm allergic to them, just intolerant: they give me instant diarrhea.

Milk gives me massive sinus headaches. I also recently found that online that oranges and grapes can give people sinus headaches, so I'm trying to see if that's a problem for me too.

Ok - I AM allergic to nuts and chamomile tea for sure. I think sulphites are also a problem as my throat has been tightening when I eat dried fruit. So I went and bought organic dried fruit

Default Eating things that you shouldn't...

Does anybody do this? I have a mild allergy to nuts, and ordinarily, I couldn't give a crap, coz I am not a huge fan...BUT I love macadamia nuts - raw, roasted, in cookies, in the butter form, and especially macadamia nut butter stuffed in whole medjool dates. When I eat them, I get a tummy ache and a headache and I break out in eczema and sometimes hives...but I still choose to consume them

Does anybody else eat things they know have consequences, but still do it just coz it is so yummy?

Default Re: Eating things that you shouldn't...

I sometimes drink Carob Vitasoy (small pack, 250 ml) for a quick lunch when I am at work or whatever. It actually makes me feel a bit sick but it is yummy!
    A bit rattled

tails4wagging

Nuts, I love them. Especially pistachios!. Love macadarmia but rarely get them as they are so dear over here.

I have been drinking too much coffee which makes me anxious but I love it - but have given it up finally for the last few weeks.
    I have yet to give up vegetable margarine but I am going to have to do it. I *love* vegemite on toast in the morning, but know how bad trans fats are for me too - so will have to find an alternative.
    I haven't had alcohol for several weeks too and surprisingly, don't miss it at all!

I have run out of things that are bad for me that I shouldn't consume! Too much whole wheat toast?!

Maybe Banana, you could pop vegan white chocolate in the dates and put them briefly in a warm oven so it melts a little and then either chill them or eat them warm and soft? To replace the macadamia butter.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

tails4wagging

Veganblue, whats the name of the vegan white choc, where can I get it from, sounds yummy!!.

I remember Banana having spoken about it a while back - I am sure she will let us know where to find it

Not really into much chocolate myself except for a little high cocoa dark chocolate now and then but I have some white chocolate flavoured soy milk in the fridge that I am yet to try

OMG veganblue you are a GENIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - But I still love the macadamia nuts - even more than the chocolate. But nonetheless, what an amazing idea

Oranges and other citrus fruits give me sinus pressure headaches. I still love them. Grapes also do the same thing.

So guess what I had in my lunch? Grapes and orange juice! I'll be paying for it in a hour or so....

Too much carbs (though no refine, only whole-grain)
    Too many sweets
    Too large portions

i don't have a definite allergy to wheat but it does seem to make me feel ill if i eat it so i think i have an intolerance. it gives me a bad stomach ache and makes me feel tired. but i do love pasta and bread, unfortunately most wheat-free pastas and breads are either horrible or REALLY expensive. so occasionally i eat some wheat although i try to restrict it

like Veganblue i'm also sensitive to coffee, it gives me palpitations and anxiety. i hardly ever drink it these days, but sometimes i give in and have the occasional soyaccino.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I have IBS and I *really* shouldn't eat spicy food, but I love a curry! (Taking peppermint oil or tesa after helps)
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Quote Banana
    OMG veganblue you are a GENIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - But I still love the macadamia nuts - even more than the chocolate. But nonetheless, what an amazing idea
    Sounds wickedly high in sugar but a treat every now and then is ok

Do you remember the name of the vegan white chocolate, Banana? I think Tails is having cravings

It was a brand called Leibers, but I haven't seen it for a while. I saw a new brand yesterday though, but I forget what company. If Tails is intersted, I can organise to send him some....

Quote Banana
    It was a brand called Leibers, but I haven't seen it for a while. I saw a new brand yesterday though, but I forget what company. If Tails is intersted, I can organise to send him some....
    Leibers! I will have to see if I can find them here!

Tailsforwagging is interested in some white chocolate - I was wanting to send her some if we have some good stuff here

Someone told me Sweet William Chocolate wasn't vegan - it is - but in a moment of weakness (being a new vegan and being a bit pissed) I surrendered - the guilt the next day was gone when I found out it is vegan...don't read labels when you're drunk...lol. I still didn't appreciate the trick.

I am a massive fan of Sweet William Tangerine Soy Chocolate...it tastes like Terry's Chocolate Orange (which I used to love - to me it smelt like christmas cos we kept the special tree decorations in an old Chocolate Orange box...) - it's fabulicious!

I'm intolerant to yeast, sugar, aspartame, coffee and tea. I went for allergy tests back in Jan because I felt so crappy. Had to do an exclusion diet for 3 months! Back then I was also intolerant to citric acid and dairy and eggs (wasn't vegan then). Had a retest last week and im not intolerant to citric acid any more. It's suprising how many things it is in. Still gotta avoid yeast and sugar. It is really hard.I Miss bread, marmite and choc!!
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

yes i do this with gluten. sometimes i eat subway sandwiches and i cant help it. they are just so good!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

@ Veganblue and Banana: Pleeeease, please let us know about the vegan white chocolate! I loved my Milkybars!!!

On the topic - lol, I feel like this every time I eat something sweet like choccy, cakes & co or drink more than one glass wine, or when I continue eating even though I am already stuffed!

littleTigercub

I just ate date and almond rolls, like date & coconut rolls and now my throat has tightened majorly - I am SUCH an idiot

Quote nastypoodle
    I am a massive fan of Sweet William Tangerine Soy Chocolate...it tastes like Terry's Chocolate Orange (which I used to love - to me it smelt like christmas cos we kept the special tree decorations in an old Chocolate Orange box...) - it's fabulicious!
    I second that notion, in fact, I think I wrote exactly the same thing on another thread. I used to love Terry's chocolate orange! And Little Tigerclub, I used to survive off milkybars, and let me tell you, the vegan white chocolate is not the same - very plasticky.

banana could you tell me the recipe for date and coconut rolls? (or is it top secret??)
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

Extra salty Kettle crips, they don't make me ill or anything but there's no way all that salt is good for you (I suppose the bags are intended for 3 people and not just one piggy like me ).

I can do that with a bag of salt and pepper crisps. Eat the entire bag at once. All that pepper sets my mouth ablaze (after a while) and all that salt swells me like mad.

It doesn't stop me finishing the whole bag in one sitting, though.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

I love chips/crisps! I don't buy them because I'll totally pig out. What sucks though is that the flavoured ones (like ketchup and BBQ) have lactic acid and MSG. And they are my favourite flavours. I'm sure the lactic acid is probably animal derived.

The best I can find, lactic acid can either be animal based or not.

Still doesn't remove the issue of the MSG, though.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.