• Yes

25 17.73%
  • No

62 43.97%
  • No, but I have an intolerance/intolerances

54 38.30%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Food allergies

Default Re: Eating things that you shouldn't...

old dutch chips dont have lactic acid, in canada.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote sophia
    banana could you tell me the recipe for date and coconut rolls? (or is it top secret??)
    I buy them

Here is a link, but I am not sure where you could buy them in the UK...
    date and coconut rolls
    date and almond rolls

Quote foxytina_69
    old dutch chips dont have lactic acid, in canada.
    Thanks but we don't have them around here.

Default Re: Food Allergies? Eating things you shouldn't?

I can't eat citrus fruits, chocolate, caffiene, cheese, dairy, gluten, strawberry's...quite a few things...

because of intolerances, they make me pretty sick but not a full blown allergy.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Yes, I get hives when I eat bacon.

sugarmouse

recently I have been so sure im intolerant to SOMETHNG but I dont know what! i cook alot,so its not any one thing its happened a few times.I made avacado n carrot soup the other day, and it was very rich..that made me ill., and burgers made with soya mince n had symptoms afterwards,like very mild food poisoning -like symptoms.I was thinking, as I have been tryin to lose weight recently and eating less, when I do eat a normal sized portion maybe thats whats upsetting me?or maybe I am intolerant to something and jst dont know? iused to be allergic to oranges an some other citrus fruits wen I was a child,but that seems to have gone now.

I don't have any proper food allergies, thankfully, but I do have reactions/irritations to a few things, mainly fruits.

Kiwis - they make my mouth, lips & throat burn and ITCH like mad for ages!
    The riper the kiwi, the worse it is, so I've stopped eating kiwis, which I love.

Also I think I've determined a reaction to sulfites, because I got this weird wheezy cough and tight throat feeling after eating some dried peaches, and then again after eating sundried tomatoes. I know for sure I'm not allergic to tomatoes, so it must have been the sulfites they preserve them with, since that was the only other ingredient. Bah.

Quote julieruble View Post
    Is it a particular type of nut that causes you problems, or all nuts?

I wanted to warn you, nut allergies are developing allergies... they get worse with every exposure. The symptoms you describe sound like an allergy to me (see the list of symptoms below). This is highly dangerous!!

Please stop eating nuts, but not only that, remove all nut products (and products saying they've been manufactured where nuts have been) from your home! Even touching nuts can be bad for you if you have a nut allergy. Also, please invest in an EpiPen -- a prepared shot of adrenaline/epinephrine that you can inject if you ever feel you're going through anaphylactic shock, which is where your airway swells shut and prevents breathing. The adrenaline can stop the reaction, and can save your life in the case of an emergency! You can probably get these at a drugstore, but I'd also recommend visiting a doctor and letting him/her know about this allergy so you can get some prescribed.

Here are the symptoms of a nut allergy:
    Nut allergy can produce:
    -A tingling feeling in the lips or mouth
    -An itchy nettlerash (urticaria, hives), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
    -Swelling (angioedema), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
    -Swelling in the throat, causing difficulty in swallowing or breathing
    -Asthma symptoms
    -Vomiting
    -Cramping tummy pains
    -Diarrhea
    -Faintness and unconsciousness
    -Death due to obstruction to breathing or more rarelyextreme low blood pressure (anaphylactic shock)

Remember, just because the reaction wasn't too bad this time doesn't mean that next time it won't be an emergency, so please be careful!! I don't mean to scare you, and I know this information is frightening, but I am worried for your safety!

Here's a webpage on nut allergies: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/nuts.htm

I keep finding new nuts that I am allergic to, should I stop doing all nuts or is it only these particular nuts? For example, I have no problem with almonds and pine nuts, will this change? Pooh to me being largic to walnuts
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I think I'm gluten intolerant.

I had oatmeal and crackers today. My stomach is sore.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

wheat and gluten

Today I ate a lot of citrus. Ow my sinuses.

I get a really weird reaction in my mouth when I eat kiwifruit. A kind of tingling, I can't really describe it, but it's really annoying. Such a shame because I love the taste, and they're so high in Vit C. Doesn't happen with any other fruit.

Quote fiamma View Post
    I get a really weird reaction in my mouth when I eat kiwifruit. A kind of tingling...
    I get this when I eat some oranges??? My mouth goes a bit numb.

I also get a really sharp stinging pain in my neck, below my ears where my lymph glands are, whenever i eat anything fatty... like vegan cheese or margarine?

Its so bad I have to hold my neck with my hands.

Anyone got any ideas what this might be? My GP just shrugged her shoulders!

Why don't you go for allergy testing, Muppet? Since mine's limited to kiwifruit I've never bothered but yours sounds more serious. I'd get it checked out if I were you. Your GP doesn't sound very sympathetic, I'm sorry to hear that.

Oddly enough, baby carrots.
    BUT, if you COOK them, I can eat them. Go fig, eh.

Carrots make me constipated unless I cook or juice them.

I ate a bunch of pine nuts today, my "safe" nut and my ears itch and my throat is closing a bit

I was thinking about going raw lately because of my many many allergies and sensitivities but I would theoretically have to do away with raw nuts. I was just reading about a rotation diet, anyone have experiences with this? Has anyone "healed their leaky gut" and cured their allergies?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Haniska; Sep 26th, 2006 at 06:47 AM. Reason: more to say

PygmyGoat

I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow because I am fed up with having stomach cramps and a generally upset stomach .

I've been researching it online (quite possibly more than he'll do, but I just want to run it by him because it does make me feel quite ill at times) - and I think I may be reacting to high fibre foods . Every time I try to eat a bit more healthily I get ill. Cereals have me running to the bathroom .

I'm not sure if i'm actually "allergic" to these things, I used to only get migraines, but now it is effecting my throat (tightening) and my breathing and I get a migraine and joint pains and stomach pains. Blah. lol

I can't have gluten, wheat, oranges, lemons, limes, kiwis, strawberries, dark foods (blackberries, blackcurrents, beetroot, black grapes etc), chocolate (can have white though), tomatos (don't seem to effect me unless whole), pumpkin seeds, E Numbers, spicy food...onions unless cooked...

Quite a bit I can't eat. lol

I also can't have anything dairy which isn't a problem anymore. Also eggs.

Ps. Since my last post on here my allergies have got much much worse, and I'm allergic to more things.
    "Animals are not ours to Eat, Wear, Experiment On or Use For Entertainment"

My citrus allergies are getting worse. Before, I could tolerate lemon juice in salad dressings...now even foods that contain citric acid affect me.

My lemon flavoured lip balm also bothers me too.

I think sometimes, when you cut out certain foods, as soon as you eat it again, you get worse illnesses, as your body isn't used to fighting whatever is in the think that makes people allergic.

I think that's very true.

I'm afraid if I got totally gluten-free my body will no longer be able to tolerate certain foods anymore.

I can still have a slice of regular bread or a bowl of oatmeal once in a while without damage. It's just when I eat several servings every day. I've been gluten-free as much as possible for a week now. Maybe tomorrow I'll add some oats (but no other gluten) and see if causes any negative affects?

Yeah...because I stopped eating gluten 100% and now I can't even have anything with it in where as before I could eat some bread or something.

Today I'm having regular bread! I'll see how it affects me.

I had blood tests done and found im very intollerant to egg white and cashews, and intollerant to dairy and bananas. This was part of the final push to going vegan 17 months ago.

Im ok with the odd banana, just not every day, but i had a nutroast last night with 14% nuts in - cashews being part of that so really small amount, didnt think it would affect me but went really tired/achey and my throat felt itchy and tight.

I spoke to a nutritionist after my results and told her id gone vegan - she said fine but you still need to re introduce very small amounts of egg otherwise if you accidently have some you could be ill i did say to her i will never eat dairy/egg again and she did say the intollerance would possibly go to an allergy.

Interesting i touched egg whilst helping students cook the other week (part of my job but not a part im happy with) i got a nice rash from that, so now il be wearing gloves!

Alison

What sort of symptoms do you get with bananas?

I've been a bad girl with my citrus allergy. In August, I bought these new kind of soy yogurt. It's delicious but does contain lemon juice. So it gives me a slight headache. I stopped buying it because of that. Yesterday I was at the store and I saw it. I couldn't remember the reason why I stopped buying it, so I bought myself a pack of 6 small containers. I had one last night and got a headache. I had one for breakfast and got an even bigger headache. I couldn't figure out why. And then I remembered...the soy yogurt. I feel like a dummy. They expire on the 22nd so I do have to eat them up soon. Oh well...headaches aren't the end of the world, I guess.

With bananas i get indigestion symptoms /gut ache if i eat too many, shame as i love them. Im ok with 1 small one every 2-3 days, or a smoothie with them in...

Too much wheat doesnt suit me either, or too many onions but i have a lot of wheat free things too....

Interesting...I hope I don't have that! I love bananas but I also get stomach aches.

I use to eat at least one banana a day - its ok now if i 'rotate' them just have 1/2 or 1 every few days

I miss cashews - apart from almonds those were my fave nuts! Its tricky going out now as if someones made a nutroast - if its got cashews in i shouldnt eat it.I wont now as i didnt like the way it made me feel fri after eating that nutroast!

I do think ive made things worse by cutting them out totally? but thatsthe same with egg and il never eat that again!

Yeah, I've made my citrus allergy worse by totally cutting it out too. Oh well.

PainterLady

I'm totally allergic to dairy now! One day I was eating a pizza that was supposed to have been made with vegan cheese. I ate a piece and instantly I started to get dizzy. I walked through my backyard towards the door to go inside and lay down. Before i could even make it to the door, I projectile vomitted the entire slice out! It was sooooooooo weird! My body instantly rejected the pizza! I then called the corporate office of z pizza and their vegan cheese was changed and the new cheese had casein in it!

i hardly ever eat bread any more because i think i'm sensitive to wheat, but today i ate beans on toast for dinner because i wanted something quick, and now i have really bad stomach cramps and feel sick. i really should stop eating bread completely but it's soooo hard
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I don't have any allergies, that I know of anyway. I eat anything I want without problems. I knew someone with a 'shellfish' allergy and they would swell up....at least they have to give the sea life a break.
    The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.

Quote Leigh View Post
    I don't have any allergies, but I have noticed recently that eating grapes seems to make me feel bad afterwards.... Maybe I just eat too many in one sitting!
    I read just last night that "they" spray something on grapes. Can't remember what but I took note because they make me sick too.

Quote Muppet View Post
    I get this when I eat some oranges??? My mouth goes a bit numb.

I also get a really sharp stinging pain in my neck, below my ears where my lymph glands are, whenever i eat anything fatty... like vegan cheese or margarine?

Its so bad I have to hold my neck with my hands.

Anyone got any ideas what this might be? My GP just shrugged her shoulders!
    I get a pain in my breast (I assume the gland) when I eat fatty foods. I think.

mushrooms
    pickles
    raw apples

The apple one is fairly recent. I think I've become intolerant because I drank too much apple cider when I was in high school. Last fall I had a little bit of apple cider and I wound up with a nasty sinus infection. Eating an apple straight up or drinking apple juice gives me sore throats and/or diarrhea. But I L O V E apple cider.

Can you develope an allergy as an adult by overeating something? For example, could I have developed a soy allergy by overconsuming Isolated Soy Protein Powder?

sprite1986

I don't have any specific allergies, apart from possibly porridge/oats.

I love porridge but sometimes when I have it, I sneeze. And if I have it for a prolonged time (i.e. for breakfast for many days), I start to feel a bit nauseous.

Mmmm, but porridge with weetabix and raisens (sp?) is in lush!

nothing, thank goodness

Quote Haniska View Post
    Can you develope an allergy as an adult by overeating something? For example, could I have developed a soy allergy by overconsuming Isolated Soy Protein Powder?
    I've heard that it can happen if you have too much of one thing, that is why it is advised to have variety.

I can't remember where I read this though.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I am extemely allergic to potato , which I recently discussed in a different thread. I go into anaphalactic shock. It is extremely rare. Now I'm also realizing I might have a wheat allergy. I have chronic sinusitus and I was very disappointed that it didn't clear up when I became a vegan. I'm doing an elimination diet now and feeling better. It's kind of disappointing, though because my diet is already so limited what with being vegan, allergic to potato, and type 2 diabetic. Oh well, no more whining...

I heard you shouldn't eat bananas or avocados if you have a latex allergy. I have a mild latex allergy (bandages give me rashes unless I specifically buy latex-free) but bananas and avocados are my favourite fruits.

No I don't have any food allergies or intolerances, but before going vegan I was very heavy milk drinker (full cream or skim) and had very bad asthma (two ventolin puffers would only last me a month). Since going vegan, and only drinking soy milk and products my asthma has subsided that a single puffer can last up to six months! A friend of my mothers has also said that drinking milk caused her asthma to inflate so she only now drinks soy milk.
    "If you are what you eat, does that make you dead meat?"

i don´t know if i can actually call it an allergy, but i can´t eat corn in any form (cobs, fresh, canned, cornmeal, oil, etc.) whithout getting the glands in my throat all bloated
    it´s sad because one of the food staples in the place i live is corn.... and it tastes so good

I love melon but everytime I eat it my throat gets sore and burny, so I usually try and avoid eating it. It happens most with honeydew melons.

a friend of my is allergic to strawberry flavouring. real strawberries...fine. artificial flavouring - throat like a pillow. best bit is, she went to the doctor who gave her PILLS. she pointed out that she'd be unlikely to be able to swallow them, and they just told her to avoid eating it then!

amanda

I have oral allergy syndrone, I get a sore mouth, swollen tongue, gums, lips, and sometimes a sore tight throat and ear ache when I eat some fruits and nuts. Apples are the worst. I normally get an instant earache. Walnuts are pretty bad too. Still eat everything though

I had problems with tartrazine as a child - it gave me terrible nightmares! Weird

Not food related but I am also allergic to shampoo, conditioner, shower gel etc... They make my skin burn up and go very blotchy!

I've whittled the list of foods to avoid down to...

Onions, Celery, Leeks. Basically anything really fibrous. What makes it so different from Cabbage texturally, I have no idea.

It makes eating out fun If I eat something I shouldn't I get painful stomach cramps and diarroea. If it wasn't for the great people I see, I wouldn't bother leaving the house.

BlackCats

Aubergine - that must make ordering in restaurants a nightmare.

I have had reaction to coffee, I got rash around my mouth and felt like my throat was closing up. I occasionally have a cup of coffee as I really crave it sometimes but never more than once a month.

Mushrooms
    I get terrible stomach cramps and everything just has to escape from both ends and it lasts a couple of days
    here comes the sun

I'm allergic--or at least sensitive--to dairy, a fact I only found out after I gave it up. Looking back, I think I could have had a happier (or less miserable) childhood if I had had a pediatrician who had an idea what caused my "mystery nosebleeds."

Hindsight, as they say, is 20/20.