Thread: Matt's Last Hurrah in Europe!

Default Matt's Last Hurrah in Europe!

I'm from the U.S. and have been living in the U.K. for the past 10 months or so. I'm planning on returning to the U.S. in September, and would like to do some traveling in Europe while I'm still here. So far I've only been to Paris, Stavanger (Norway), Madrid, Barcelona, and Reus.

I was looking at the map and felt like there were too many potential places to visit, so I thought that I might decide based on who here would be up for meeting up with me and POSSIBLY letting me stay for a couple of days, because I think I would enjoy the experience more if I could stay with vegans rather than wandering around by myself.

So if you think you might be interested in meeting or hosting me between July 28th-August 28th, please let me know!

Thanks!
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Default Re: Matt's Last Hurrah in Europe!

Fiamma's door is always open

Bologna, Italy? Heck yeah! I'll definitely plan that in, but I don't know exactly which day yet. Once I work out a route and timeline, I will let you know.

Thanks, Fiamma!

After my UK travels, which are discussed on this thread, I will be traveling to these parts of mainland Europe.

AUGUST
    Alvdal and Oslo, Norway (14th-22nd)
    Stockholm, Sweden (22nd to 25th)
    Berlin, Germany (25th-30th)
    Milan, Italy (30th-31st)

SEPTEMBER
    Venice, Italy (August 31st-September 2nd)
    Rome, Italy (2nd-3rd or 4th)
    Bologna, Italy (3rd or 4th-6th, if that's okay with Fiamma)

I guess I don't expect to be meeting up with anyone on this board except with Fiamma in Bologna, but I thought I'd fill everyone in on my plans anyway since I started the thread. If anyone knows of any can't-miss things to see or do, I'd be happy to know about it!

Stu

Quote fiamma View Post
    Fiamma's door is always open
    You should try and get that fixed before Summer's out.

Windfall

Oh no Matt, I'll be missing your Stockholm visit with about one day or so - I'll be in London by that time!

Ah, I'm sorry to miss you. Are you moving to London or just visiting?

Quote matt35mm View Post
    Bologna, Italy (3rd or 4th-6th, if that's okay with Fiamma)
    Sounds perfect, Matt!

Quote Stu View Post
    You should try and get that fixed before Summer's out.
    I knew someone would pick up on that Glad to see you didn't let the side down Stu

Thanks, Fiamma! I am really looking forward to it!

Vegan, Italian Style!

"Vegan, Italian Style" is a bit of an oxymoron, I think Still, I'll do my best

Heh. But seriously, what general things should I know about to make sure I'm eating vegan in Italy? Is there a general way to know, for example, whether the pasta has egg in it? And what foods/things to do would you recommend?

Oh Lord, what a question!!! Generally you can tell by the type of pasta whether or not it's vegan; think of the types you buy at home and you probably won't go far wrong. Things like spaghetti, penne, farfalle (pasta bows), macaroni (what Italians call "pasta asciutta") should all be vegan, whereas things like lasagne, tagliatelle (pasta ribbons) and maybe cannelloni are all made with egg. Risotto is generally made with the addition of cheese and sometimes cream, they also use butter.

Do you have the Vegan Passport? That would probably help you. I'll set my brain in motion and see if I can come up with dishes that are usually vegan.

Thanks. It shouldn't be too big of a deal, since I don't plan on eating out by myself so much. I'll mostly buy things from the market where I can read the ingredients and I'll eat out with couchsurfing hosts who can hopefully communicate to the server.

I figured that was probably the case with pasta, and yeah, I can pretty much tell the difference between semolina pasta and egg pasta by sight by now, but I wanted to know for sure whether or not egg was more commonly used than here or what. Thanks again!

I should add that if you specify you want a risotto made with oil instead of butter, and no cheese or cream, they are normally very happy to oblige (they might look at you strangely, but hey ), since risotto is normally made from scratch. Risotto is a great dish to order because you can get it with things like porcini mushrooms and radicchio; it beats eating pizza every night .