Thread: compost toilet

Default compost toilet

I've started a separate thread from fiamma's original 'How do you save water' thread for those who are interested in going down the compost toilet route.

I would wholeheartedly recommend a compost toilet for those who garden and have enough space for two or three large compost 'bins'.

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    Umm do you go outside in a hole? with a shed built round you? Like an outside loo but not?! Sorry if that sounds hilarious not too sure how this works?!
    I have to admit to not liking the few 'outside shed' compost loos I've visited. They can be a bit icky. One problem is there's often quite a smell. Another is damp. Another is, often, the inability to accurately cover excreta with cover materials, hence leading to the smell. My solution is clean, neat and comfortable.

It's in the ordinary toilet/bathroom, alongside the 'decommissioned' water closet. It is simply a bucket system, the bucket being enclosed in a white painted, well-made box with a normal toilet seat. It's actually more comfortable than a common toilet and takes up little room and no plumbing.

Next to the toilet is a bin, with a scoop, for the sawdust. There are printed instructions for visitors to read too, as follows:

The compost toilet
    After using the toilet, sprinkle in an appropriate amount of cover material from the bin, using the scoop provided

Gentlemen, please sit down or visit a compost heap in the garden if convenient

Please deposit only biodegradable materials in this toilet

As always, please wash your hands afterwards

Thank you for using our compost toilet

All material is returned to the soil after two years of composting; by using this toilet, you have saved water and its contamination, electricity and waste disposal costs and have enhanced the health of the land
    There is no smell from this toilet apart from any 'normal' air-borne ones you get after any visit to any toilet! The sawdust masks everything and has its own pleasant smell. There's no splashing, no 'if it's yellow let it mellow' etc, it's very quiet, calm even.

The bucket requires emptying around twice a week for two people; it goes into a heap made of straw bales (the bales make a wall) held in place with old pallets, along with any other biodegradable material such as kitchen scraps. It's then covered with a layer of fresh straw, again a good smell protector, and the entire heap was built surrounded in chicken wire to prevent any attacking by rodents.

Occasionally grass clippings and rooted-up nettles go on too.

The temperature of the heap is monitored as it can get too hot and/or too dry. It is used for a year and then let rest for another year or longer. The temperature reached around 59 degrees Celsius recently, which is good in one way - pathogens are dead, definitely - but in another way, it drives out beneficial creatures.

The heap stayed around 48 degrees all winter.

I would highly recommend The Humanure Handbook by Joseph Jenkins. An entertaining read which lays to rest many myths about human, errrm, 'waste'.

We have only used a compost toilet since June 2008 so we have no compost yet. We do intend using the finished product on the garden. For anyone a bit squeamish about that idea, the humanure book is available for download or reading on-line and makes fascinating reading. Jenkins has used his compost on his garden for years (as have many others) and he's raised a family on his garden's produce.

There are also various videos on YouTube about successful compost systems.

Another method, possibly neater than the straw bale system, is to use 80 litre lidded bins with small holes drilled in the base for access by compost-loving organisms and for drainage. This has the advantage of not requiring much space and the bins can be moved.

The bins never get full - the compost seems to stay at roughly the same level! Less cover material is required compared with the straw bale system though it's advisable to surround the bins in bales during the winter.

That's about it, really. If you've more questions, ask!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

*live*&*let*live

Default Re: compost toilet

Well at least it's one way to get your B12

(see my thread which has been added to Korn's)

Lots of info there, interesting to read although it's not an option for us, we have an old victorian bathroom which I love and nowhere else to put a loo like this. Does it not pong when you have to empty it? I'm afraid I'm a bit squeamish round poo. It's bad enough clearing up after Elsie! :smile:

Well at least it's one way to get your B12
    Not really. Take a look at that thread again...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

*live*&*let*live

My thread was about a new way to get your B12 (tongue in cheek joke thread) it was added to yours about B12. I do not understand what you mean? Please can you explain. Thanks :smile:

we have an old victorian bathroom which I love and nowhere else to put a loo like this.
    Our bathroom is nice too - colourful, cheerful and bright though not big. The problem is not the bathroom as the compost loo and bin take up very little room, not much more than a chair, say. It's the outside bit: you need a good bit of space for the compost bins, which not everyone has. Our bin currently is two pallets wide by one deep and our garden is just under an acre, so we're not short of space.

Does it not pong when you have to empty it?
    The goods are covered by sawdust when in the bucket; when actually tipping the contents into the compost heap, there may be a smell but of course that's outside. The layer of straw on top prevents smells. I have to say, there's far less smell than when we used a well-functioning septic tank system.

I'm afraid I'm a bit squeamish round poo.
    You have to learn to love your poo!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

BTW, everyone should get their local library to stock The Humanure Handbook. It's fascinating.

Quote DavidT View Post
    You have to learn to love your poo!
    sadly i think that's beyond many people!

thanks for explaining David, interesting to hear how it works even though i'll probably never have the chance to do it myself.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Sadly I think we as a species in the western world have become isolated from nature generally and there has been a corporate emphasis on stuff having to be 100% sterile.

We're as clean and healthy as we need to be but we're also sceptical about modern health 'standards' - never forget that your immune system requires challenging in order to strengthen it and keep it on its toes. Common sense is far more important than bleach.

Crikey, this house had no toilet facilities of any kind before we came here in 1998 and, as it is at least 140 years old, no doubt a lot of people have been born and raised in it in that time. The last occupants died in their eighties, which ain't bad.

Quote DavidT View Post
    never forget that your immune system requires challenging in order to strengthen it and keep it on its toes. Common sense is far more important than bleach
    Hear, Hear
    Boom, boom

Quote DavidT View Post
    Sadly I think we as a species in the western world have become isolated from nature generally and there has been a corporate emphasis on stuff having to be 100% sterile.
    Totally with you! (I understand the younglings say 'Tru Dat' these days)

Wash your bags before doing anything clean and after doing anything dirty and that's 90% of your problems solved.

I'll be honest, and I use my wee undiluted as weed killer, and diluted as plant food all the time. What am I going to do... contract an illness from a sterile liquid that came out of me in the first place.

I'd obviously be a bit more careful with poop... but I'm not that squeamish over it.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote DavidT View Post
    the cleanliness issue has been over-emphasised for some time, resulting in some people trying to be too clean; how else would companies sell their numerous cleaning products without making people paranoid about germs?

i think there is also some natural aversion around these things as well though.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i think there is also some natural aversion around these things as well though.
    That's the common sense!

Veering off at a tangent:

I would normally stand with my back to the tv in a pub but I 'accidentally' saw a commercial where a kid ran a toy truck over a cat litter box and then over the kitchen counter, following which a mother put a raw chicken on the counter top.

Obviously, it was meant as an inducement to give over yet more money to people who already have too much in exchange for a spurious chemical cocktail which would cause more harm than any notional danger in thar hypothetical kitchen situation.

This stuff feeds paranoia.

Quote DavidT View Post
    I would normally stand with my back to the tv in a pub but I 'accidentally' saw a commercial where a kid ran a toy truck over a cat litter box and then over the kitchen counter, following which a mother put a raw chicken on the counter top.
    Surely she then cooked the chicken, sorting out the problem of a tiny bit of cat faeces anyway? What, you mean cooking a corpse doesn't make everything suddenly inert? And, Chicken is food... surely we don't need to worry about poisoning ourselves by touching food. You mean we do? Quick, what chemicals can I apply to everything in my house that are sufficiently strong as to kill something that has lived through being frozen for six months... I mean, strong enough to (very selectively) kill the evil bacteria, but not cause me or the good bacteria from my expencive probiotic yoghurt the slightest health problem. Oh, and if you could be sure to squirt some of it in bunny rabbits eyes first, that would be great.

Should my counter need washing down it gets very hot water with a spot of dish soap in it, and then is wiped over with a little vinegar. I've been doing this the ten years I've lived here... and I've not died yet. Or had food poisioning.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Surely she then cooked the chicken, sorting out the problem of a tiny bit of cat faeces anyway?
    There you go, showing common sense again! Stop it, will you?

YouTube video showing emptying of compost buckets.

The roof you can see in the video keeps the rain off the cover material, the straw. The compost heap itself requires lots of moisture so doesn't need roofing. The rainwater is collected for washing out the buckets.

Here's our loo before we painted it white:

Can I please add to the crazy germ talk? My favorite commercial is for toilet bowl cleaner, I think. It shows an open toilet with lots of cartoon germs in it so we all must buy this germ killing bleach cleaner, or something. I always wonder why people have problems with there being germs in a toilet. Does anybody ever stick their hands in there, or scoop out some water for a quick drink? If germs are anywhere, shouldn't they be in the toilet?

I know what you're saying. And as if there isn't enough trouble dealing with fecal-contaminated water, people throw bleach into the mix! Total madness.

But bleach is good. It makes things look really shiny. That's good. Can I have some added to my flour please? That way it could bleach my insides too. Real time saver that would be.

Like your man in Lark Rise to Candleford and soap: "It cleans the outsides, stands to reason it cleans the insides."

*live*&*let*live

But bleach is good. It makes things look really shiny. That's good. Can I have some added to my flour please? That way it could bleach my insides too. Real time saver that would be.

*live*&*let*live

Surely she then cooked the chicken, sorting out the problem of a tiny bit of cat faeces anyway? What, you mean cooking a corpse doesn't make everything suddenly inert? And, Chicken is food... surely we don't need to worry about poisoning ourselves by touching food. You mean we do? Quick, what chemicals can I apply to everything in my house that are sufficiently strong as to kill something that has lived through being frozen for six months... I mean, strong enough to (very selectively) kill the evil bacteria, but not cause me or the good bacteria from my expencive probiotic yoghurt the slightest health problem. Oh, and if you could be sure to squirt some of it in bunny rabbits eyes first, that would be great.

Should my counter need washing down it gets very hot water with a spot of dish soap in it, and then is wiped over with a little vinegar. I've been doing this the ten years I've lived here... and I've not died yet. Or had food poisioning.
    calm down Ms D 'it's only a commercial' repeat three times....take a DEEP breath and repeat....chillax my dear forum fiend!

ETA (sos that should have said friend but I left it as I thought it was funny/ier)

calm down Ms D 'it's only a commercial' repeat three times....take a DEEP breath and repeat....chillax my dear forum fiend!

ETA (sos that should have said friend but I left it as I thought it was funny/ier)
    But...but...but

I want to be a fiend :'-(

Here's the loo following being painted white. Much nicer, I think.