Thread: Morrisons meat-free mince?

Not real name!

Default Morrisons meat-free mince?

I spotted today that Morrison's own brand meat-free mince no longer has 'suitable for vegetarians and vegans' on it.

They've changed the packaging and I can't see anything immediately concerning in the list of ingredients. It's a pity I haven't got an old pack to cross reference with.

Anyone know?

*live*&*let*live

Default Re: Morrisons meat-free mince?

I have only seen one variety and we have used that a few times. It's quite gloopy when cooked they are nothing like Realeat. I did think they were ok at first but I won't be getting it after we have used up the bags in the fridge. It really doesn't hold its texture. Sorry I couldn't be of any real use!

Maybe ask in the store or ring up? I would think it is fine as the one we have is, but you never know do you? If there are no hidden nasties then I can't see the problem.

Buddha Belly

I had a mooch in Morrisons about a week ago and noticed all their old and new lines have new packaging and the labelling is crap. The veg*n thing has been dropped from lots of lines and it is a matter of reading the back again.

I quite liked the Morrisons mince, I found it better than Realeat, the Realeat stuff I find to be chocked full of fat and tasted like fat too. We are too used to TVP now.

Morrisons do a frozen bag of Falafel's which are ok for keeping in the freezer for emergancy falafel situations. (when I find out what an emergancy falafel situation is I will let you know)

*live*&*let*live

^ we tried these in our falafel emergency, too dry and not a patch on cauldron emergency ration bite size falafal.

*when you hear the air raid siren...please rush to your local shop and stock up on falafel - and gingernuts if in Sainsbury's*

It's been vegan for ages so i'm assuming it's still the same, although i haven't checked the new packaging myself yet. Will have a look when iget home tonight!

I love that mince though! The first few times i had it i thought it was gross but the more i ate it the more liked it! some stuff just needs a lot of trying

Not real name!

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Morrisons do a frozen bag of Falafel's which are ok for keeping in the freezer for emergancy falafel situations. (when I find out what an emergancy falafel situation is I will let you know)
    They also do that Granose Falafel mix. The ingredients seem okay but it doesn't say Vegan or owt.

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    gingernuts if in Sainsbury's*
    Ooooh! Are theses their Basic branded ones? I love gingernuts. An open packet is an empty packet.

*live*&*let*live

^ no the standard Sainsbury brand! It's there with a logo and everything

*beams with pride!* OH found them for me, he's a sweetie, he knows how much I love a gingernut dunked in my cuppa!

From mince to gingernuts, know which I prefer!

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Let us know too I'd say it's when you have unexpected guests and need to whip up something quick. Falafels in tomato sauce with salad or whatever!

I love Morrisons mince, our local supermarket is Morrisons so we go there all the time.
    Silent but deadly :p

Not real name!

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    ^ no the standard Sainsbury brand! It's there with a logo and everything
    Basics are Vegan too and, well, let's just say that I'm a cheapskate.

I'm having a couple with a cuppa as I type.

*live*&*let*live

Oh are they?! Didn't know that will check next time in store....*wonders if they are any less gingerymoreishlywonderful*

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    They've changed the packaging and I can't see anything immediately concerning in the list of ingredients. It's a pity I haven't got an old pack to cross reference with.

Anyone know?

I have a few older packs in my freezer and here are the ingredients...

water, wheat protein, rapeseed oil, textured soya protein (soya flour, malt extract) soya flour, soya protein isolate, yeast extract (hydrolysed yeast, maltodextrin, yeast extract, flavouring) malt extract, garlic powder, onion powder.

Please let me know if you think it's still suitable as I only make the journey to Morrisons for the mince.

Thanks!
    'I love Dandelion tea'

I really wish they would stop using words like "flavouring" & "natural flavouring" as it could mean anything & contain anything too.

A good friend is very allergic to dairy & has reactions to supermarket own brand mince, although there is no listing of milk etc in there

so far asda & tesco mice has caused issues.

JJ

*live*&*let*live

Quote MeTheVegan View Post
    I have a few older packs in my freezer and here are the ingredients...

water, wheat protein, rapeseed oil, textured soya protein (soya flour, malt extract) soya flour, soya protein isolate, yeast extract (hydrolysed yeast, maltodextrin, yeast extract, flavouring) malt extract, garlic powder, onion powder.

Please let me know if you think it's still suitable as I only make the journey to Morrisons for the mince.

Thanks!
    They are still suitable, well BB Helen and I eat them :smile:

Does anyone else think the actual product has changed too as well as the packaging? I've tried it twice now in my usual Chilli since the packaging changed and it tastes really gristle-y. It used to be quite soft and yummy but i can't figure out it out now, not sure i like it :-(

Not real name!

Quote wildcatstrike View Post
    Does anyone else think the actual product has changed too as well as the packaging? I've tried it twice now in my usual Chilli since the packaging changed and it tastes really gristle-y. It used to be quite soft and yummy but i can't figure out it out now, not sure i like it :-(
    I stuck some in a lasagne at the weekend. I can't say that it seemed any different.

Make your own, that way you know what's in it. All you need is some old cardboard and a cross-cut paper shredder. Then just add water.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

haha!

leedsveg

Quote jj View Post
    JJ
    Well if they will do experiments on them....

lv

Rocket Queen

Quote jj View Post

JJ
    I'm not keen on the mice either. Taste too much like the real thing.