Thread: Constant thirst

Default Constant thirst

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm thirsty all the time. The only thing I drink is water. I don't have much excessive salt in my diet. I go through several liters of water a day. I'm very active but even when I'm not this is still the case. It's a problem because I go to the bathroom about every hour. I get up from bed several times a night. I try not to drink throughout the night but I wake every morning dying of thirst. If I don't think enough (still more then most people) I'm very light headed. My only medical condition is hypotension which my doctor says it's important to eat regularly and drink enough water to not get so lightheaded when I stand up, but I don't think this would cause thirst.

Just wondering if anyone else is like this and if it's just a normal variation on the amount of water a person needs. I started drink a lot when I was working on getting healthy, maybe my body is just used to it and demands it now.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Default Re: Constant thirst

have u been tested for diabetes?

I can go almost the whole day without anything to drink, or with just one cup of coffee in the morning, and without feeling thirsty but I drink tons at night. I think for me it is just a habit I've got in to but I do feel desperately thirsty during this time.

As Daffodil says you should get checked for diabetes just to rule that out.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

*live*&*let*live

MMmmh diabetes was my thoughts exactly when I read the thread title. Also, don't want to alarm you but did you know you can drink too much water? It affects your electrolyte balance which can give you problems with your kidneys. This is unlikely as the kidneys can flush out a lot of water a day. Water intoxication is when you drink too much, too quickly and that is also uncommon but it is worth seeing your GP. 7 litres a day is a lot but I don't think too much, I think its about 15 litres the kidneys can handle but don't quote me on that. I mention it as it's common in atheletes and you seem to be pretty athletic to me!

Nah, I couldn't have diabetes. It's not in my family and I don't eat much sugar. Although, something about my sugar levels showed up on a blood test once, but they thought it was a mistake so they redid the test and it was fine.

I don't drink 7 liters a day LLL. Maybe you misread several (something I'd do ).

Marrers, I know people like you that don't seem to ever drink water. I just don't get it!

That's for the feedback.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I just looked at the warning signs for diabetes:

Take a look at these eight diabetes symptoms, if you spot two or more of them, you should seriously consider getting checked for diabetes.

• Occasional blurry vision. Eye problems due to untreated diabetes can lead to blindness. Any serious vision related problems (diabetes related or not) are a reason to see a doctor immediately.
    • Slow healing cuts or sores. This happens often on the feet.
    • A lack of energy, feeling lethargic and tired all the time.
    • If you experience sudden weight loss. You may be eating foods that make diabetes symptoms worse and be hungry and eating all the time while still losing weight.
    • Excessive thirst. Even when you have not been working your body hard or it is not warm.
    • Dry mouth. Cotton mouth. Your mouth feels dry even after having a drink.
    • Frequent urination.
    • Excessive itching or soreness in the genitals. Yeast infections. Thrush or a diagnosis of thrush (mistaken) may be a sign of diabetes.

http://www.signs-symptoms-of-diabete...-symptoms.html

I do have two, but the thirst and urination go together. I'm only urinating a lot because I'm thirsty and drinking a lot.

Mahk

I'd see a doctor.

Quote Mahk View Post
    I'd see a doctor.
    +1

It might me nothing to worry about, maybe you are just a thirsty person. I'm like Marrers, I can even go out on my bike and only have a few sips from the water bottle on a three hour ride, unless it's really hot.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

At least you know that you don't have rabies
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Nah, I couldn't have diabetes. It's not in my family and I don't eat much sugar.
    I'm no expert on diabetes, but I wouldn't say this doesn't mean you don't have it; please go and get checked out. In the UK you can get your glucose levels checked at a pharmacy, but please go and see a doctor.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I can go almost the whole day without anything to drink, or with just one cup of coffee in the morning, and without feeling thirsty but I drink tons at night. I think for me it is just a habit I've got in to but I do feel desperately thirsty during this time.
    I'm the same, but just because your body isn't telling you to drink doesn't mean you don't need to - quite the opposite. Everybody should be drinking at least 1 and a half litres of water/ 8-10 glasses a day.

cobweb

I think you should get checked out, Dia, type 1 Diabetes has nothing to do with how much sugar you eat.

On the other side of the coin i am also a VERY thirsty person, i drink several litres of water every day, and if i don't i get massive headaches. My son is the same. We have both been tested for Diabetes, by the way, the results were negative.

cobweb

Also want to add to what was said about electrolytes - you might actually find you need a bit MORE salt, which will help you retain fluid better. There's an excellent book about it, i will try to remember the name of it!.

coconut water contains electolytes.

i am not a thirsty person and have to force myself to drink every day - if i don't i get headaches and a hot, fuzzy face during the night.

please go to the doctor diashel - they should be able to diagnose you efficiently - my in-laws are great 'google the symptoms' people - they then come up with all sorts of weird diagnoses of illness they think they have.

Sigh, I was afraid you'd all say to see a doctor. I don't have insurance I would like to go and just get completely checked out. Maybe I'll try and save up.

Do you know anyone with diabetes that has a gluco-test kit? You could test your fasting glucose level, but I'd be really wary of self-diagnosis in a case like this. How much is it to see a doctor where you are, just out of curiosity?

An office visit is a couple hundred and blood work would be another couple hundred.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Sigh, I was afraid you'd all say to see a doctor. I don't have insurance I would like to go and just get completely checked out. Maybe I'll try and save up.
    I find it really frightening that you guys have to pay to see a doctor. Poor people get sick too

Well their are plenty of government insurance programs out there for people that fall under a certain income. Most of my patients have medicare or something like it and don't even have a co-pay.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    An office visit is a couple hundred and blood work would be another couple hundred.

i have diabetes and my main symptom was drinking and peeing alot. i used to drink about 5Lduring the working day and regually get up at nighttodrink. Do you feel tired and weak?

If you buy a bloodsugar testing kit (which are fairly cheap) and some ketone sticks, then you can test and monitor yourself.

Best of luck
    'he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

^ No, I don't feel tired and weak. I would have no idea what to do with a blood testing kit, I suppose there are directions though.

Just a thought, but don't some pharmacies do tests? Might be a good compromise between the expense of trip to the Docs and the struggle of trying to DIY.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Is it maybe diet? Certain foods can make you thirsty, such as beans and fibrous stuff.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

pathologist

Diabetes 1 is not inherited in most cases but there is a complex relationship between genes and other factors - such as viral infections (diabetes 2 is always inherited) and it has absolutely nothing to do with eating sugar! It is a fatal serious illness if untreated - I realise that there is nothing to suggest that you have it DiaShel - but just to say this in case its important for anyone to know.

Quote Jiffy View Post
    Just a thought, but don't some pharmacies do tests? Might be a good compromise between the expense of trip to the Docs and the struggle of trying to DIY.

That's a good idea - I think pharmacists may do free diabetes screening in the UK so perhaps something similar is available where DiaShel is. Might be good to rule that out.

Being really thirsty without obvious reason is also a symptom of kidney problems.

If you have to pay for a doctor appointment for a diabetes test I think it could be a lot less expensive than having undiagnosed diabetes, which can do serious (expensive) damage to bodies.
    Speaking from personal experience... when certain organs don't work properly one ends up having a lot of medical attention!
    Here in the UK I think pharmacies will do simple diabetes tests, not sure if its free or a small charge?
    Type 1 diabetes usually runs in families but people don't always have a family member with it.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    Also, don't want to alarm you but did you know you can drink too much water? It affects your electrolyte balance which can give you problems with your kidneys. This is unlikely as the kidneys can flush out a lot of water a day. Water intoxication is when you drink too much, too quickly and that is also uncommon but it is worth seeing your GP.
    I suffered with water intoxication a few years ago. I was drinking and drinking and always felt thirsty, had headcahes and peeing day & night.

My GP tested my urine for diabetes which was negative so she diagnosed water intoxification and told me that I had messed up the level of salts in my blood??
    She ordered me to add electrolyte (sugar & salt) sachets of powder to my water for a whole week to balance it out.

I wasn't convinced of her diagnosis but she was spot on. Drinking too much water brings on headaches & more thirst, making you drink more as you feel dehydrated.

Now I always add something to my water, usually a squeeze of fresh lemon as I find this stays in my system longer than pure water.

Hope this helps & good luck!
    M x

What about this: http://www.homeaccess.com/CheckUpAme...abetesTest.asp

It seems to suggest that that the results are reviewed by a doctor at no extra cost - that's surely no bad thing.

Or you can get your cholesterol measured at the same time for a little more money: http://www.homeaccess.com/CheckUpAme...sterolTest.asp

Well, I guess 50 bucks is cheaper then seeing a doctor, but then if it's not that (which I don't think it is) then we can't explore other reasons for it. I think I'll look into exactly how much it would cost to see the doctor. I'd like to just get a full physical and then hopefully I won't have to go back until I get insurance.

Just a thought... but if anything turned out to be wrong, would it increase the cost of insurance when you do get some, or lead to permanent exclusions? (It certainly did with my horses )

Is there any way you can afford to take out insurance first?

Oh wow. I didn't even think of that. The whole "pre-existing condition thing". Unfortunately insurance really isn't an option right now. To get insurance on my own (not through work or school, etc) is about 600 a month. Since my medical expenses are, like, nothing, I can't justify it. It does make me think twice about getting diagnosed then.

Wow that's expensive!! I didn't realise it ran to that much. *Thinks* When my dad had private healthcare in the dim and distant past, there was an option to add children/spouse as an extension to his policy more cheaply than them having insurance separately - is that allowed over there?

What a nightmare situation

sorry to hear it's so difficult for you to arrange medical stuff, DiaShel.

i'm really thirsty a lot of the time too, i've been tested for diabetes a couple of times and the results have been normal. i'm tired a lot as well though so i'm thinking i may have something else wrong with me, but the doctors aren't too concerned about looking into it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

*live*&*let*live

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Oh wow. I didn't even think of that. The whole "pre-existing condition thing". Unfortunately insurance really isn't an option right now. To get insurance on my own (not through work or school, etc) is about 600 a month. Since my medical expenses are, like, nothing, I can't justify it. It does make me think twice about getting diagnosed then.

Don't let the cost of something put you off finding out what is wrong. I am not intending to scare you but just say it IS something serious (and I am not for one minute saying it is) but YOU MUST look after your health first and foremost. Are you not able to go to one of the free clinics over there? What about your parents can they not help you or put you on their insurance? Sorry I am talking off the top of my head but I don't know the system over there.

Zero

If you don't eat many foods that are high in water content already, perhaps try that. Eat more things like oranges and other water rich foods.

I only find I am constantly thirsty when I haven't eaten much fruit. I also work in an air conditioned office that seems to contribute to my thirst.

It could also be down to an allergy, for example if you have problems digesting wheat protein, those proteins can enter the blood stream undigested and your body then uses more water to balance the acidity of the undigested proteins.
    Last edited by Zero; Jul 28th, 2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: further comments

dia are you done at school? because most schools have free health clincs for their students, thats what you pay the health fee for.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I'm too old to be on my parents insurance and I'm not married. I don't know of any free clinics and I probably wouldn't qualify to be seen at one.
    Zero- I eat lots of fruits, that's interesting about the allergies. I have wondered because I feel like I react badly to certain things but have not found a connection.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    sorry to hear it's so difficult for you to arrange medical stuff, DiaShel.

i'm really thirsty a lot of the time too, i've been tested for diabetes a couple of times and the results have been normal. i'm tired a lot as well though so i'm thinking i may have something else wrong with me, but the doctors aren't too concerned about looking into it.
    I get tired a lot too. I feel like with the way I eat and work out I should have more energy then I do. Sometimes it's hard for me to keep my eyes focuse. I kind of thought maybe it was pyschological not physical but I'm not depressed or anything. Maybe we're having the same kind of problem though, whatever it is.

Zero

Dia, perhaps cut out wheat for 2-3 weeks and see if there is any improvement

Wheat!? I love my wheat though

So is that like "gluten free" stuff. I never understood that completely.

Zero

There are sources of gluten other than wheat such as spelt (low in gluten) or oats, some people are sensitive to all gluten and others just certain types. I believe the main one is wheat.

I am actually quite sensitive to wheat so I keep my intake of it really low these days. Many people who have problems with wheat can tolerate spelt as a replacement (it is an archaic form of wheat apparently).

I avoid the obvious things like wheat bread and pasta, I've been using rice pasta for a long time mainly because it cooks faster

Like you, I am fond of wheat products, unfortunately my body isn't. If I eat a lot of wheat I get to feeling really dehydrated and lot's redness and blemishes come out in my skin and even seems to trigger acne bouts with me.

It's just a suggestion, cut it out for a little while and see how you feel, if you feel better you can try to work a lesser amount back into your diet and control the situation

If it makes no difference then that wasn't the cause and you can just go back to doing what you were doing

Well last summer I went a month only eating raw foods and I was still thirsty (and tired) all the time. So I guess that can't be it huh? sigh of relief

Being thirsty and tired and needing too pee a lot are 3 symptoms of diabetes.
    Maybe someone would donate the charge for a diabetes test if you agreed to get tested?
    A young friend of mine who I used to work with died a few years ago from complications of diabetes. She died suddenly on her own at home. I hadn't even known she was diabetic until after she died, she didn't talk about it and she looked well. She wasn't overweight and I had no idea she had health problem.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

How are things Dia? Have you managed to get a test of some sort done? If not, why not try the electrolyte thing and see if that works for you.

Thanks for checking up on me Roxy. I haven't done any tests but I did get some coconut water to try out. The last few days have been hard to tell because I have this tiny bit of a sore throat and it feel like when you're super super thirsty so I keep drinking and drinking to make to go away but that's not it.

Are you still worried about your thirst, Dia?

Not really worried no... I know I can't afford to do anything about it now and I really don't think it's anything serious so no sense worrying. I was just more wondering if other people feel the same way.