Thread: I need a part-time vegan job!

RebeccaDye

Question I need a part-time vegan job!

Hi,

In September I start year 13, and I'll have 3 days a week (and the weekend) free! I'm not sure which days I have free yet as I haven't got my timetable, but would prefer a weekend job. I want to use this time to do something vegan-related. So I'm looking for a vegan job or vegan volunteering in London.
    I've tried:
    Putting an ad on Vegan Village
    Putting an ad on Gumtree
    3 Vegan restaurants/ cafes near me
    2 Health Food shops
    Applying to Lush, the soap shop
    The Vegan Society

I've had no luck whatsoever! One restaurant did offer me a training day so as to give me some experience though, which was good. But no prospect of a job. So what I'm asking, is: does anyone know of any restaurants/ cafes/ groups in London that need a paid or unpaid employee? I'm open to anything!

Thanks
    Becca

Smile Re: I need a part-time vegan job!

Hi Becca,

They sound like a really good starting place for vegan type jobs Whether it's paid or unpaid, part time work will really give a boost to your CV and your UCAS personal statement if you are thinking of applying to Uni.

Have you tried your local volunteer bureau? Not just vegan jobs, but they will have loads of charity sector things that might interest you. If you visit www.do-it.org.uk you will be able to enter your postcode and choose the sort of things that interest you.

The Vegan London pages at www.veganlondon.co.uk are a wealth of information also.

Of course not everyone who volunteers for animal charities/environmental projects etc is vegan, but it is a great way to widen your circle of "job network" people who may know about paid opportunities. It is estimated that between 20%-60% of jobs are never advertised at all.

Good luck with your job search!

Kate
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Default Re: I need a part-time vegan job!

Submit your CV to places you like the looks of that aren't advertising. Small companies often can't afford to pay for recruitment agencies and commercial ads on jobsites, so don't widely advertise positions. Some may also create a job if the right person comes to them (perhaps they haven't realised yet that a student working 3 days a week on a project could be really beneficial to them?).

It always looks better if you come to them and say you want to work for them - puts you ahead of people who apply for *every* job they find, irrelevant of whether they're suitable or know anything about the company. At the other end of the spectrum I've spoken to some right idiots in the past who haven't even read the job spec properly they'd applied for before interview.

If you can, treat job hunting like a job itself. Work as many hours per day on it (researching companies you're applying to etc) as you would a job and pay the same level of attention to detail. Don't give up hope. CVs, covering letters, telephone interviews and in person interviews are all notoriously crap at selecting the right person. Not getting a job is annoying but not nessecarily a reflection on whether or not you were the 'right' person for it, especially when they have more applicants than time to process properly.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

We have a company in the states called "The Body Shop". It's a makeup and skincare store that is cruelty-free and has completely ethical practices. If there are any in the UK I would imagine London would be a great place to start! Good luck with the job hunt!

The Body Shop originated in the UK. They're now owned by Loreal *waits for another fight*.

pavotrouge

have you asked at Pogo? I think they're recruiting volunteers all the time.
    apart from that... not to discourage you, but the current job situation is not really one where you can pick and choose a lot, and vegan jobs even rarer.

RebeccaDye

Kate1978 - That 'Do It' link is great, thanks. I'll have a thorough look into it! Thanks for the helpful feedback! Shall keep ya posted.

Mr Flibble - Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll keep applying to such companies. Do you think I should specify a volunteering job or a paid job? I'm inclined to chose volunteering as I have no relevant experience (I've worked as a florist's assistant, that's it!) to boast about.

IwannabeKate - Thanks for the idea, but as Enchantress said, I wouldn't apply to work at The Body Shop on the basis of their involvement in vivisection. I've applied to Lush though, which is similar but 100% vegetarian, check em out http://www.lush.com/

Pavotrouge - Yeah I'm in the process of writing to Pogo, I love it there. I realise the economic climate will decrease my chances of getting a job, but I'm specifically desperate for a vegan one. I don't know if I can afford to be so picky but I know I'd really enjoy something vegan.

Good luck Rebecca, hopefully see you working at one of those places soon.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote RebeccaDye View Post
    Do you think I should specify a volunteering job or a paid job?
    I think it depends on the company. Don't undersell yourself. Factor in the costs of commuting, eating out etc into whether volunteering is a worthwhile activity (i.e. you think the cost is worth either the good cause or the career development) and if nessecary ask them to pay expenses.

You've got some experience in a shop and if applying to a vegan related company the fact that are vegan adds experience/credibility, so don't assume that you have to volunteer. As long as you don't oversell yourself then underselling yourself may come across badly (how much do you think you're worth?) or lead them to mess you around.

RebeccaDye

Gwydion - Thanks

Mr Flib - You're a bottomless well of information! I've tried to sell myself by writing extensively about my passion for food, and for vegan cooking, and describing my volunteering with London Vegan Campaigns. I've also referred to the casual cooking I do, such as vegan dinner parties for omni friends, and getting my friends to do trial vegan weeks and cooking for them during that. Hopefully my efforts will pay off. If not, I shall scream and scream until I am sick.

And now we play, The Waiting Game.
    Thank you so much for that comma. Truly.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Have you had any luck yet Rebecca?

RebeccaDye

Hey Roxy, I'm afraid not! I've only had an e-mail back from Vanilla Black saying thank you for my interest, but they aren't hiring at the moment. Still! The day is young!

Have you tried getting people on the phone who haven't replied?

What about taking the Blah Blah Blah job to get some experience and just having to swallow the cab fare (to somewhere you could get home from) for a while? Once you have experience there will be more options for you.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

As long as the cab fare doesn't exceed the salary I agree that would be a good idea, Marrers. Perhaps if you explain about the getting-home problem BBB might chip in, Rebecca?

RebeccaDye

Marrers and Harpy; Thanks for your suggestions! But I'm not sure, the owner was very hostile when I spoke to him, and said 'are you sure you'll even be able to hack it?' regarding the hours and busy kitchen, so I'm not sure he'd agree to it. Also, it's 12 miles away so I imagine the cab fare will be extortionate! I think the only realistic option is to ask for a voluntary job at somewhere local to get, The Holy Grail that is, experience.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble finding a job in a Veg*n establishment. I'm always surprised at how many non-veg*ans these places hire. Its good to hear you have at least had some feedback and especially from eateries like Saf . I really think you should pester these places more, and also 222, the last time I went there, one of the waitresses and chef weren't vegan

The proprietor of 222 name is Ben and def vegan, he's really friendly also.

I think the only realistic option is to ask for a voluntary job at somewhere local to get, The Holy Grail that is, experience.
    That's a very good idea too, especially if the pay from another job would be eaten up by taxi fares anyway And/or you could, I suppose, grit your teeth and work somewhere non-vegan for a short while to get the necessary experience. I assume places wouldn't expect a whole lot of experience in the circs.

Probably a good idea to remind Saf now and then, not to the point of being a pain but to show keenness.

RebeccaDye

Thanks for your input Sunkist and Harpy!
    The latest: I've applied for a job at Lush, had an interview yesterday but didn't get the job unfortunately. Going to try a different branch of Lush and also Neal's Yard.
    Last edited by RebeccaDye; Oct 22nd, 2009 at 07:43 PM.