Thread: Vegan Slimming Supplements

puca

Default Vegan Slimming Supplements

I feel like I need to shift some weight. I'd like to run a marathon eventually, but because I have issues with my joints and low muscle tone, I find getting in to exercise quite difficult...

With dyspraxia, you get tired FAST with exercise, coordination can be hard too.

I am not a lazy person, I just get so tired from work.

So I figured, if I had some help with losing a bit of weight at first, then being lighter would put less stress on my joints when I exercise. I'm worried about health implications with my weight, as I have had a scoliosis when I was younger.

Being overweight might make things worse and make the health problems I may face accelerate.

So I was wondering if anybody could offer any advice on supplements which won't really do me too much harm, but will help me lose weight.

I am not doing this because I think that being fat is gross, nor do I threat about my physical appearance, but it's more to do with health and fitness.

Ta

Default Re: Vegan Slimming Supplements

Did you have any luck with this? If not, it might be a better idea to go to a health food store that sells supplements and ask their advice.

I've never tried slimming supplements, but they sound like a bad idea to me, I dunno, maybe I'm just prejudiced.

I bought a "slimming" herbal tea recently, will post the ingredients for you... just a sec...
    Green mate leaves, peppermint leaves, liquorice root, verbena.

It's made by Pompadour, and apparently reduces appetite and makes you feel fuller if drunk before meals.

Here's a link; sorry it's in Italian. Maybe you can get something similar where you live. I think in general though that drinking a cup of any tea before meals would have the same effect, no?

100% vegan, cheap, and worth a try

If there was a truly effective weight loss supplement on the market that worked with no side effects, then it would be one of the biggest selling items on the market.........and i mean BILLIONS $$$$$.

What i do know is that protein 'tricks' the body into feeling fuller than carbs do, so one way is to go down the protein shake route, a couple a day in fresh fruit juice should reduce your calorie intake.

Exercise actually makes the body produce endorphines that suppress the appetite as well, is there any way you can try low impact stuff like a rowing machine/ exercise bike kinda thing?
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

My mama bought me some kind of system from The Shopping Chanel. I know it sounds ridiculous but I thought I'd give it a go. Basically you take pills, consisting mainly of fiber, before meals (2x daily) with a bunch of water, wait 20 minutes before eating and it helps to absorb some of the fat from what you eat before you body sucks it up.

Link: Lean Choices

I've been taking it for a couple of weeks and haven't noticed and incredible difference yet but I thought it was worth mentioning!
    The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.

Honestly, I'd stay away from any kind of weight loss supplement.

I like Gogs suggestion about adjusting your caloric intake and experimenting with low impact exercise. I myself use a software program to track calories and have always had great success with that approach.

I do agree to an extent but this really is only fiber and other plant ingredients... bamboo fiber, apple fiber, carob fiber, psyllium, etc. I figure as long as I can read and actually identify the ingredients on the label, I'm good.

Yes, I can see fiber working pretty well. At the very least, it will fill you up before meals, reducing your intake naturally.

Quote sparklingsights View Post
    I do agree to an extent but this really is only fiber and other plant ingredients... bamboo fiber, apple fiber, carob fiber, psyllium, etc. I figure as long as I can read and actually identify the ingredients on the label, I'm good.
    They will be helping, no doubt. Problem is they charge you $100 for edible plant fiber which is probably costing them around $10.
    A fresh apple and a banana will give you 1/4 of your daily dose straight away, and be better for you than a tablet with extracts. Eat them before a meal and you will eat less of the meal for a start!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Problem is they charge you $100 for edible plant fiber which is probably costing them around $10.
    LOL you're probably right! I definitely would not have spent that money on it myself but my Mum just hands me this one day and goes, Look what I got for you! Try this!

(Oh and just a note: I complain about my weight a lot recently, it isn't like my Mum just thinks I'm fat and tries to make me skinny on her own accord, haha.)

^ She's your mum, that's what they do, lol!

I am using fitday.com - losing nicely at the mo and it tells you all the nutrients you have eaten as well. The only annoying part is that a lot of the stuff I eat is not in the SAD that is available on the site - so I have added a lot of 'custom' foods - but once it is done it is good to go. I find it really helpful and it is a real boost when you can see the graphs changing as your weight drops.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

well, you could also try supplements which balance your sugar levels for a bit longer, so that you are having less munchies and feel hungry less often or feel full earlier (there's 'helix slim' or 'hoodia', for example)

another option is to boost your metabolism a bit more, which works with green tea extract or acai extracts (both available at health food shops and usually vegan)

if you're craving sweet stuff still, i'd recommend raw thingies (such as raw cake, a nakd bar or sthg) as it will satisfy you more. the advantages are that it is sweet and healthy/nutritious at the same time ;-)
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

puca

Thanks people. I am joining the gym when I get paid... My job can exhaust me, but maybe I will get outta this cycle if I go get fit.

This is an oldish thread but I thought I'd post.

Arbonne has a line of slimming products. It's very expensive but they claim to be vegan. Although I can't find the ingredient lists anywhere, which I find very fishy (seaweedy? ) !
    Peace, love, and happiness.

supposidly all of their stuff is vegan. and very expensive...lol
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Their slimming system is basically protein shakes, fiber supplements, and laxative teas ("detox teas"). Easily available for much cheaper on their own.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

reciever

Quote Elahiya View Post
    well, you could also try supplements which balance your sugar levels for a bit longer, so that you are having less munchies and feel hungry less often or feel full earlier (there's 'helix slim' or 'hoodia', for example)

another option is to boost your metabolism a bit more, which works with green tea extract or acai extracts (both available at health food shops and usually vegan)

if you're craving sweet stuff still, i'd recommend raw thingies (such as raw cake, a nakd bar or sthg) as it will satisfy you more. the advantages are that it is sweet and healthy/nutritious at the same time ;-)
    I would be very careful when buying hoodia or acai because there has been a great deal of negative publicity surrounding these names. Buying these items from a store will help because the majority of the complaints are about "free trial" scams although the quality and efficacy of the ingredients has also been called into question. These natural weight loss pills with hoodia and acai are not nearly as effective as the label may claim. Although these supplements are healthy, you should not expect them to help you lose any significant amount of weight. To achieve that you will still have to create a calorie deficit by exercising and eating right.
    Last edited by reciever; Apr 29th, 2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: stupid typos

cobweb

I tried Hoodia before and it upset my stomach. I'm currently trying Acai berry powder and it's having the same effect, grrr..........
    I am cutting calories aswell though, and increasing my exercise which I suppose is really the answer.