Thread: King Cake! (yum)

Talking King Cake! (yum)

The twelfth night is near and Mardi Gras is coming soon, so I will be making a vegan king cake. I am using a combination of recipies to guide mine on. There's only one thing I don't know. How much egg replacer do you use to replace just the yolks?

Anyway, here's what I will do:

Ingredients for dough:
    2 envelopes yeast
    1/2 cup turbinado sugar
    8 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan buttery spread
    1/2 cup warm soy milk
    replacer for 5 egg yolks
    4 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Combine the yeast, turbinado sugar, melted Earth Balance spread and warm soy milk in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the egg yolk replacer, then mix. Add the flour, salt, nutmeg, and lemon zest and beat until everything is incorporated. Knead until doughy.

Remove the dough from the bowl. Using your hands, form the dough into a smooth ball. Lightly oil a bowl with the vegetable oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it to oil all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 2 hours.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Using your fingers, pat it out into a rectangle about 30 inches long and 6 inches wide.

Then...

Coat the bottom half with cinnamon, then flip the top half of the dough over the filling. Seal the edges, pinching the dough together. Shape the dough into a cylinder and place it on the prepared baking sheet seam side down. Shape the dough into a ring and pinch the ends together so there isn't a seam. Insert the king cake baby into the ring from the bottom so that it is completely hidden by the dough.

Cover the ring with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and place in a warm, draft-free place. Let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Brush the top of the risen cake with 2 tablespoons of the milk. Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.

For the icing, I will just use an organic mix from Up Country Organics.

I will use turbinado sugar to put on the icing, colored purple, yellow, and green with food coloring, unless anyone knows of a better way to color it. If the turbinado sugar does not show the color enough, I'll color the icing in sections beneath it.

I was thinking of using something beside a plastic baby though. I could use a dried bean, which is traditional, but I want to use something unique. A vegan king cake isn't traditional anyway. Any ideas?

On second thought, I will just use cornstarch and water for the eggs instead of a commercial replacer. I think 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch with 1/2 tablespoon water is good for one egg yolk.

I have never heard of king cake before. Sounds tasty

you could put a little ring inside it. after you've made it, tell us how it goes. i've never used cornstarch instead of egg before, and i'd like to hear how it turns out.

No way!! I was just thinking about this yesterday...I was looking at recipes for King Cake and thinking how I could make it vegan. I should turn out pretty good. I will probably just use Ener-G egg replacer. Good luck and yeah...let us know how it goes

BTW...I am very envious of you...I would LOVE to live in Baton Rouge or especially New Orleans...and I will one day. :P

Quote Banana
    I have never heard of king cake before. Sounds tasty
    You have probably never heard of it before because it is a French tradition carried over into Cajun culture. King cakes are eaten from the twelfth day of Christmas (Epiphane) until Mardi Gras (the day to live it up before Ash Wednesday when Lent begins). It is in a circle like the shape of a crown. It is colored purple for justice, gold for power, and green for faith. The colors aren't in the French tradition, though. They were chosen in 1892 by Rex, official Mardi Gras parade organizers in New Orleans. Anyway, everyone has a piece, and whoever gets the bean or baby is treated like royalty for a day and then buys the cake for the next day. This is repeated until Mardi Gras.