Thread: Does anyone speak Greek?

Default Does anyone speak Greek?

My sister is getting married next year in Greece. We need to email the hotel about the catering and to hopefully sort out something for me to eat. I have found these phrases on a website but I am not sure if they are correct?

Είμαι χορτοφάγος
    Δεν τρώω κρέας
    Δεν τρώω αυγά, γάλα, τυρί ή γαλακτοκομικά

Default Re: Does anyone speak Greek?

I think there are some people here who speak Greek so I will be interested to know what they say. Numbers 2 and 3 look OK to me but I stopped telling people that I am chortophagos or chortophagi because I read somewhere that it means "village idiot" rather than vegetarian (literal meaning is "vegetable-eater" or "greens-eater" I think).

Most people in Greek hotels seem to speak English though unless perhaps it's somewhere very remote, but you might be better off explaining what you do and don't eat rather than using the word "vegan".

BlackCats

Quote harpy View Post
    I think there are some people here who speak Greek so I will be interested to know what they say. Numbers 2 and 3 look OK to me but I stopped telling people that I am chortophagos or chortophagi because I read somewhere that it means "village idiot" rather than vegetarian (literal meaning is "vegetable-eater" or "greens-eater" I think).
    Thanks for that Harpy, I needed a laugh today.

I have seen it defined as "vegetarian" in a few dictionaries so it may mean that too, but I feel it's better to err on the side of caution I am dubious that the Greeks would have a word for "vegetarian" as on the whole the concept seems foreign to them (even though they have such a lot of nice vegetarian food ).

I can say some swearing in Greek but that's about it.

Linxie might want to know how to swear, in case the vegan food doesn't materialise

Hi, where is the wedding, island or mainland? You'll find a lot of people don't even know the Greek word for vegetarian and I've not met anyone on this island who understands the concept of veganism. You might be better off giving them suggestions for food they can make for you and then at least you'll have some control over the ingredients.
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

Its on an island and the hotel has now sent over a long list of options. Some of them look vegan so I think I will tell them what I can't eat and see what they say!

Hi,

I've been to some Greece a few times, including some of the islands, and finding something vegan to eat has been quite easy.

According to Google Translate:

Είμαι χορτοφάγος:
    I am vegetarian

Δεν τρώω κρέας:
    I do not eat meat

Δεν τρώω αυγά, γάλα, τυρί ή γαλακτοκομικά:
    I do not eat eggs, milk, cheese or milk

Also:

Δεν είμαι τρώει κάθε ζώο σε όλα τα προϊόντα:
    I am not eating any animal products at all

Είμαι χορτοφάγος συνολικού
    I am a total vegetarian

Who knows, maybe this could be useful
    Είμαι μόνο ένα χωριό ηλίθιος. Ι αρκετά έξυπνος δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω γιατί θα πρέπει να τρώνε τα ζωικά προϊόντα:
    I am only a village idiot. I'm not smart enough to understand why we should eat animal products

Try to avoid this one:
    Τα αυγά, το κοτόπουλο και το μέλι δεν είναι φυτό που βασίζεται, μπορείτε χωριό ηλίθιος :smile:
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote Korn View Post
    I am only a village idiot. I'm not smart enough to understand why we should eat animal products
    LoL Korn!!! Although I wouldn't trust Google translate - you might start a major diplomatic incident!

Google Translate can come up with some serious mistakes. This is easy to discover if you try to translate a translation back to the source language again. I'm sure trusting it blindly could lead to serious trouble at times.

But then again - if in trouble, knowing how to say "I'm only a village idiot" could be really useful!
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 6th, 2009 at 07:08 AM.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.