Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "sex sells sex"

Mahk

Default Re: "sex sells sex"

Using my limited Photoshop skills I altered their controversial ad to try to make it more PC [not that I'm agreeing the original ad was necessarily offensive but obviously tons of people took it that way]:

The cartoon character is now:

A) the sex we are allowed to arbitrarily portray without the possibility of being deemed "sexist" or "attacking/objectifying women", yet the real message of the ad, "Americans can be saved from the health consequences of obesity by turning veg*n" still comes through loud and clear.

B) a neutral skin color that could pass as a light complexion person of color or a tan white person (or just about anyone really, Mediterranean, middle eastern, pacific islander, etc)

C) vegan (just for fun )

D) proud to be the size he is (note his tattoo) and clearly PeTA is suggesting that the reason to lose weight is for health. Reading anything else into the ad would be projection.

I like it, Mahk!

Love it, Mahk, go you!!!

RubyDuby

lol at the tattoo typeface

cute.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Hehe - I thought it was cute too

I can't stand PeTA.

I wish they did more action, and less sexism/racism/classism/fat-ism. I *want* PeTA or any leading AR groups to be radical and push for real change; but the public isn't as dumb or as messed up as PeTA believes them to be.

I went vegan because I understood that I could do it, not because some model was going naked, or because I read about veganism in the local paper, or something like that. PeTA behaves like a clown trying to drum up money for their own organization; not at all interested in actual AR.

If they actually cashed in on their publicity and noteriety for actual AR, I'd be thrilled. In the meantime, I find their work appalling, ESPECIALLY when they use unsubverted sexual images in their ads. Naked people fine. Sex fine. But PeTA isn't just doing naked people or sex; it is using the same imagery that contextualizes women problematically and that is sexist. That's different. That's why PeTA is no different than the status quo.
    context is everything

Sorry if this has been repeated, I haven't read the whole thread yet. But I just wanted to say, that yeah with the pictures of people like laying naked amongst chillis or being naked with just a lettuce leaf and stuff I don't think it has a whole lot of relevance to be honest and although it doesnt offend me, I also don't think it's very effective at getting across what an animal rights organisation stands for.
    But I think it is quite relevent for there to be nudity on posters saying wear your own skin and let animals keep theirs etc and it catches peoples attention at the same time of actually having a point.

Keane

I don't care at all for PETA, its shock tactics and its attempts to take over the agenda for animal welfare issues in every country in the world. It all strikes me as just more arrogant Yankee imperialism, telling people in other countries and other cultures to conform to American behaviour. It's the mirror image to the American junk culture we have continually pushed at us through the media.

I don't either care for 'morally' puritanical feminists who think that anything containing nudity - unless it is 'art-house' for a middle-class audience - is 'exploitative'. It's another example of Americanisation, a legacy of the USA's puritan origins and its continued religiosity. In the predominantly secular countries of Western Europe, people don't get that hung up on nudity, it's no big deal.

Wow....thanks.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."