Thread: Monkeys for sale on gumtree.

talknerdytome

Default Monkeys for sale on gumtree.

I am sickened, this guy is selling baby marmoset monkeys for £150 on gumtree. I rung the RSPCA and they said it's totally legal and there's no regulations on breeding, what the hell? I am against dog breeding but this just takes the biscuit.

Before I do something stupid like pay £300 to get these monkeys and give them to the monkey sanctuary in cornwall, am I overreacting?

Default Re: Monkeys for sale on gumtree.

I'm not sure, they don't seem at all suitable as pets but keeping them does seem to be legal unfortunately. Maybe you could contact the Monkey Sanctuary and see if they have any advice?

talknerdytome

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. It just frustrates me so much, as a psychology student there has been so much work done on monkeys (not that I necessarily agree with that, but that's a whole other issue! lol) and it's obvious they are highly intelligent. I was watching a programme a while ago called 'My Monkey Baby' and I couldn't only watch half, it was awful. They had the mother in a cage and took the babies away from her when they were still so young, it was absolutely heart-breaking.

Grr, makes me so mad!

I don't think that you're overreacting but I don't think I would buy them. If you do, then you're supporting the business and he will just get more and sell them again. It's a very tough thing. There are many animals sold in pet stores that have no right being confined. I feel strongly about chinchillas because I used to have one. These are exotic wild animals and need more space then one can give. While part of me knows I can give them a better home then most other people and wants to "save them" from bad family, the other part doesn't want to give the store my money, supporting not only the store but the breeders that will sell another to replace it. Very hard call...
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

*live*&*let*live

I would rather someone lovely and kind looking out for their best interests puchase them than someone random. They are going to sell regardless. I agree with Harpy contact the monkey sanctuary. Those poor things. Good on you for following through.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...animallist.pdf

Suggests you don't need a licence to keep marmosets. The refuge I work at recently took in one who had been living in Canary Wharf (if I remember correctly, certainly in an apartment in London. He was overweight and unfit and, I imagine, rather lonely. He now lives outside with a friend and is on the correct diet.

Stupid and very cruel to have one/several as pets unless you can adequately simulate a natural, spacious environment (I don't agree with having them as pets personally).

Don't buy them, it's a very short term solution that'll result in worse long term problems.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth