Thread: The vegan scoop

Default The vegan scoop

About a month ago I purchased this book. Love, love, love it. Especially since I have found Arrowroot powder.

http://theveganscoop.com/

There is only about a dozen recipes that do not include arrowroot powder, so until I found that ingredient I was just making a variety of peanut butter ice creams. If you purchase this book keep in mind that arrowroot powder is not a common ingredient, I could not find it in Colorado. I ended up ordering it online, but that way I could be choosey and get it fair trade and organic.

In the begining of the book the author describes the ingredients and tells you what sort of dairy alternatives could be used. The recipes are simple and very few ingredients. Interesting things like avacado ice cream, sweet potato ice cream. Plus a few other recipes like sugar cones, biscotti, and brownies.

The only drawback I see is that if you don't finish the ice cream on the day that you make it, then after 24 hours in the freezer it gets very hard, so you have to microwave it, or leave it sit out, or as I like to do just eat it all!
    Cows milk for baby cows, Human milk for baby humans.

Default Re: The vegan scoop

I wonder if you could use cornstarch instead of arrowroot? I saw that tip in one of Isa's cookbooks but I don't know if it would work for ice cream.

*live*&*let*live

WOW that looks really interesting and yummy! Never had vegan ice-cream and would love to make it. Hope you don't need an ice-cream maker do you?

you can see why the arrowroot here:

http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php...ipe&recipe=158

Curry ice cream
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    WOW that looks really interesting and yummy! Never had vegan ice-cream and would love to make it. Hope you don't need an ice-cream maker do you?

Yes, you do need an ice cream maker. I grew up with a family that made homemade icecream at least once a month, so a really nice ice cream maker is a must have. But you can get inexpensive ones that work fairly well now. My BFF has a ball type that the kids just roll back and forth.
    Cows milk for baby cows, Human milk for baby humans.

What an awesome looking cookbook!

Ok, I have the ice cream maker and the book (both arrived today!).

Though I am curious if anyone has tried to substitute cornstarch for arrowroot, does it make a real difference in taste? I am concerned because I don't think I will be able to find arrowroot here and can't wait for it to be delivered if I order it online. Anyone tried to substitute?
    Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver...