Thread: food routine?

happy

Default food routine?

Hi everyone.I've been wondering for a while about how to "spice" up my diet so to speak.I've been bored for a while about the things I'm eating.I do have a problem with regards to food,which means I don't take care as much as a should,though I have been told a while ago about a low calcium level which I also want to address.I wonder about creating a routine where I have tasty things for breakfast,lunch and dinner.

I've been getting bored becase the things I have just consist of cereal for breakfast and then stirfries of grains,beans and vegetables with herbs.I always just stick whatever we have in.Sometimes it tastes nice but a lot of the time things are bitter and unsatisfying since I always simmer things for thirty minute and preparing also takes at least another thirty minutes,so it does get annoying after so long .

There doesn't seem to be any texture and quite often flavour with either meal in the day. I thought of ideas with pancakes and burger recipes,also possibly putting breadcrumbs on deep fried tofu? I keep finding that the fake meats don't help for flavour.

Certain things I like are asian foods-japanese,korean,thai.I like the flavours like lemongrass shiitake mushrooms,glass noodles,teriyaki sauce,sushi etc. ( I don' like hot things like chilli or wasabi)also tortillas and refried beans are these a start?

Would certain cookbooks also help with this? Thanks for suggestions

Default Re: food routine?

I would have a flick through any cookery book(s), finding improvements/vegan alternatives online where necessary, write a list of your top 10 meals, write yourself a shopping list and go for it!

Scrambled tofu! It's the yummiest breakfast in the world. Maybe, well, I like it. The good thing is you can throw pretty much whatever veggies you have in the house in, and whatever spices you like.

Are you not eating lunch?
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Have you thought about marinating things? Tofu and tempeh in a marinade of soy sauce, lemon juice, crushed garlic and grated fresh ginger are awesome. You can then bake, fry (with a lot or a little oil) or even grill. The marinade takes just minutes to prepare, although you need to keep the tofu or tempeh in for a couple of hours, so a bit of advance planning is necessary.
    But after that it doesn't take long to cook at all

Quote happy View Post
    Hi everyone.I've been wondering for a while about how to "spice" up my diet so to speak.I've been bored for a while about the things I'm eating.I do have a problem with regards to food,which means I don't take care as much as a should,though I have been told a while ago about a low calcium level which I also want to address.I wonder about creating a routine where I have tasty things for breakfast,lunch and dinner.

I've been getting bored becase the things I have just consist of cereal for breakfast and then stirfries of grains,beans and vegetables with herbs.I always just stick whatever we have in.Sometimes it tastes nice but a lot of the time things are bitter and unsatisfying since I always simmer things for thirty minute and preparing also takes at least another thirty minutes,so it does get annoying after so long .

There doesn't seem to be any texture and quite often flavour with either meal in the day. I thought of ideas with pancakes and burger recipes,also possibly putting breadcrumbs on deep fried tofu? I keep finding that the fake meats don't help for flavour.

Certain things I like are asian foods-japanese,korean,thai.I like the flavours like lemongrass shiitake mushrooms,glass noodles,teriyaki sauce,sushi etc. ( I don' like hot things like chilli or wasabi)also tortillas and refried beans are these a start?

Would certain cookbooks also help with this? Thanks for suggestions
    There is a book with high calcium recipes in:
    http://www.amazon.com/Calciyum-Delic.../dp/0968350305

As far as tasty food goes, I suggest getting some good indian or chinese cookery books, for example madhur jaffrey's books, you can get them from your lending library?
    If you like stir fries, you can find amoy "sensations" have vegan range of sauces, as do blue dragon. Chuck in some marigold braised tofu... mmmm!
    Marigold also do vegan bouillion powder which is great for adding to scrambled tofu, soups, etc.
    It sounds like you just need to learn to cook, also don't be afraid to use the packet sauces while you re learning. Vegan food can be very tasty, so you don't need to be bored.
    As for breakfast, add some dried fruit or tinned fruit to your cereal, I like my cereal microwaved for 30 seconds as it brings out the flavour. You can also have toast with peanut butter, marmite, jam etc.
    Toasted redwood's cheezely sandwiches make a tasty lunch...
    Come back if you need more detail.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/