Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fiamma's Road to Raw

Default Fiamma's Road to Raw

Ok, so here goes *takes a deep breath*

My aim is to adopt a raw food lifestyle; not sure about going 100% but would certainly like to eat two raw meals out of three every day.
    And the idea behind this thread is to chart my progress, what I eat, and the emotional and psychological aspects of going raw. Because at the moment the idea of going raw feels a little like hiking to the summit of Everest

Please feel free to respond, encourage, give advice or support - the more the better! All I would ask is if you yourselves want to post what you eat, or do something similar to this, that you start a separate thread.

Thank you!!!!!

Default Re: Fiamma's Road to Raw

I don't know much about eating raw food.
    I still have to understand if that is done for the animals or for health reasons.
    Which one is it?

I just have one thing to say as advice: Dates !!

Dates save my life whenever I feel a bit low in energy and I need a quick
    fix of energy.
    A few raw dry dates (dry is fine, right?) can do wonder if you are in a rush.

Some people in Africa, I heard, live on 8 dates a day..

Have a good transition.

Thanks vegetarian cat!
    The idea behind eating raw is for health; by not cooking our food many enzymes are preserved which are healthful to the body.

Dates....mmm! I love Medjool dates, but they are SO EXPENSIVE!!

Thanks for your good wishes

Hi fiamma! Good luck with your raw journey. I go through raw vegan phases- I *want* to be raw, but it's a real test of discipline!

Not sure if you're going to eat simple raw (salads etc) or gourmet raw dishes (using food processors, dehydrators etc), but a word of warning- the gourmet dishes will make being raw a drag very quickly! They're addictive, and often unbalanced (too sweet/salty/oily!). Eating raw can be really expensive, so I find it's worth using reduced price fruits and veg for juicing, and using the more expensive organic items for eating whole. Check out the pesticide list online of which fruits/veg are usually very high in pesticides- this helps choose which you should always buy organic.

If you don't already have a sprouter/sprouting jar, it's worth getting one as the seeds for sprouting are very cheap and the sprouts (broccoli/mung/radish etc) are nutritious and really liven up a salad

There's a website called www.goneraw.com that has loads of raw recipes.

One of my favourite raw meals is homemade salsa, homemade guacamole, olives rolled up in romaine lettuce. No food processor needed. Yum

Hi Fiamma! I really admire you for your new goal of going mostly raw.

I tried it last year, but unfortunately it didn't work so well for me. I think I was doing it for the wrong reasons, and because of my past ED problems, I found it too restrictive for me.

BUT in saying that, if this is something that you really want to do, then I definitely encourage it, as it can be a very healthy way of living, and you will probably find you will feel a lot healthier

I agree with the dates thing for when you need a quick, sweet fix. I love medjool dates too!

Aw thanks guys for your tips and your support

Loveganism: good tips about using the reduced price stuff for juicing, I'll certainly bear that in mind! I sprouted some mung beans in a mason jar the other week and they turned out really well, really delicious. I think I will look into getting a sprouter though, because the jar is kind of awkward, plus you can only do very little at a time. I got my dehydrater they other day too, so I'm all set

Roxy: I'm sorry your transition to raw didn't work out; do you think it's something you might go back to in the future?

Day One

Today I think I did pretty well, considering how un-raw the day started out

Breakfast:
    Two croissants, one little cake thing (all vegan but definitely not raw!!!)
    Espresso coffee

Lunch:
    Salad of salad greens, tomato, red pepper, fennel and orange with hemp oil (is that raw???)
    Apple

Dinner:
    Bowl of raw tomato and carrot chowder
    Orange
    Half a banana

So I'm feeling good physically; satiated but clean and light inside. Tomorrow I'm going shopping for fruits and veggies, am very excited

Oh yay! New raw adventure ... I'm gonna be reading! Good luck!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Thanks Ella!

Day Two

I'm having issues with bread right now, ate four slices with jam for brekky I did think of eating fruit, but the "comfort" issue won out in the end - maybe it's winter and the cold mornings? Still, I'm going grocery shopping this avo to get lots of fruit and veggies so hopefully that will get me making green smoothies, or fruit salad...

Lunch:
    Bah... I was hypoglycaemic and ended up scoffing about a dozen biscuits (vegan)
    Still, I made up for it with a large plate of orange and fennel, very refreshing.

One thing I'm really pleased about is that both the people close to me who know I want to go raw (or high raw) - my bf and my mum - are both being really supportive, it's fantastic

go fiamma you can do it! i havn't had much luck as of lately...but i've been kinda broke...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Hey Fiamma,
    I went to this place in November: http://www.comunidadcruda.com/mag.php?lang=en . It is a raw food community. The man in charge is called Balta and he made us some really delicious food! Lots of avocados, custard apples, hemp smoothies, dates, nuts, olives and fruits.

I only did it for a week or so but it was 100% raw. It felt pretty good once you get used to eating quite a lot of quantity!

My main advice, normal people dont eat enough avocados!

Best of luck!

PS. I think Balta has been a raw vegan for about 25 years and he seems to be EXTREMELY fit, especially for a man his age...

Thanks missbettie and Manzana

Manzana - that's fascinating about the raw food community - lucky you! And yes, avocados; they seem to come into almost every savoury recipe

missbettie - I know what you mean about the grocery bill; I ent shopping tonight for veggies and spent €73!!!!!!!!!! *faint*

Dinner was a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, an apple and a yellow kiwi (after stuffing my face YET AGAIN) with these sneaky little fried biscuit things they make here for Carnival

Tomorrow I'm in Milan for my course; hopefully I'll be able to avoid temptations when I'm out.

Oh.... today I discovered that wheat contains a natural opiate... that's why it's so tough to give up for so many people.

and wheat is in everything...ugh.

it makes me sad that its so expensive when it the healthiest food for you, and for the most part there is no packaging and no one had to prepare it. its so strange....

the other thing is i don't know how people just eat fruit for dinner, i think i'd want a salad or something heavier...
    Last edited by missbettie; Jan 26th, 2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added.

Awww Fiamma. Don't beat yourself up over the bread. I really craved carbs when I ate raw. I think I crave carbs when I'm not eating enough calories...like sugary carbs!! But you're doing well, keep it up.

Day Three

Today I had to get up at four to take the train to Milan for my course. And I woke up craving carbs, possibly because I didn't eat much last night.
    So this is how the day panned out:

4am: 4 slices of bread, marg and jam
    5am: Coffee
    8.30: African Tundra tea

Snack during class: Almonds and raisins

Lunch: Salad of lettuce, radicchio, tomato, rocket, olives, artichokes and pine nuts

Afternoon snack: Apple, and a coffee because I was literally falling asleep

Dinner: Didn't feel much like eating.. banana and an apricot jam tart

As I mentioned yesterday I bought a ton of veg, and today I bought a sprouter So hopefully I'll get more into the swing of eating raw this week, and hopefully next Tuesday I'll be better prepared

It sounds like your doing great Fiamma! Its nice to to read someones food journey. Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks lifeonmars, it's always great to get words of encouragement

Breakfast: lemon water, 2 glasses freshly squeezed orange juice

Lunch: Raw tomato chowder (an absolutely divine Victoria Boutenko recipe)
    Salad with lettuce, valerian and rocket with hemp and flax oil
    1 orange, 1 yellow kiwi

fiamma how did you make the soup? what was in it? if its divine i must know. lol

^ Hehe, well I thought it was divine, others might disagree..

Blend 1 cup cashews or walnuts with 1 cup water until smooth (I didn't have a whole cup of walnuts so used a mix of walnuts/pine nuts - highly recommended, apart from the fact that pine nuts are SO EXPENSIVE; I was told it's because no-one picks them any more).

Then add the following and blend well:
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2-3 dates, pitted
    1 cup chopped celery
    Hot peppers to taste
    1-2 cloves garlic (I missed this out as I find raw garlic a bit indigestible)
    Celtic sea salt to taste (optional)

So there you have your plain chowder, you then add whatever veggies you want - Victoria suggests chopped broccoli, mushrooms, tomato, grated carrot, corn or peas, dulse flakes.

It made a lot too - 2 big bowls

Day Four

B: Bread and jam, coffee

Another coffee out with a friend

L: Spremuta (glass of freshly squeezed OJ), papaya, 2 oranges, apple

D: Will be live mushroom burgers, which are dehydrating as we speak
    Salad with valerian, rocket, tomato, avocado
    Orange, half a banana

At the moment I'm finding it easy to eat 1 cooked and 2 raw meals a day; I'm considering going 100% raw for the whole of February (apart from my birthday weekend in London) as my next challenge.

Yesterday I ate raw at breakfast and at lunch, but caved at dinner, partly because I was freezing cold, and partly because I was feeling down about crashing the car, and so I was craving some warm, filling comfort food. So I made scrambled tofu, and my bf made roast potatoes, although to be honest - although the cooked food was delicious - I think I might have preferred something raw once it actually came around to eating.

I'm reading an excellent book by Victoria Boutenko (12 Steps to Raw Foods - How to End Your Dependency on Cooked Food), and it is truly an excellent book, not just for those who want to go raw; she explains lots of little ways how we can improve our way of living. And she explains how our eating patterns are governed by so many sub-conscious processes, and how cooked food is a dependency. I still have to make up my own mind about a lot of what she says, but it's a very inspiring read nonetheless.

This is really interesting - I'm interested in raw veganism and would like to give it a go - maybe when the weather gets better here (In like July *rolls eyes*) or when I'm living in a (marginally) warmer climate (Roll on ERASMUS!!)

Fi - did you get a dehydrator, or are you dehydrating in your regular oven?
    RR xx

I got a dehydrater; 3 trays, temperature dial, didn't cost that much.
    I'm really happy with it.

i have that book too, and you've inspired me to re read it. lol i started last night!

btw how do you blend the nuts until they are creamy? do you soak them first and then put them in the blender?

No, you don't need to soak them, at least I didn't; just whack them in the blender with the water. My mushroom burgers I had for dinner were pretty yummy, although a little bitter; don't know if it was because I used dark tahini instead of light, or whether it's a case of my palate still needing to adjust. Highly recommended

(Dark tahini isn't raw, as far as I know; one thing I have noticed about raw uncookbooks is that they often use ingredients which aren't raw... I wonder why?)

Tomorrow I'm thinking soaked nuts and seeds with fresh fruit for breakfast, live fettuccine with basil pesto for lunch and stuffed peppers for dinner... mmm, I'm salivating just thinking about it

i wanna hear about the stuffed pepers your making!!

Good luck with your raw adventure Fiamma. I'd like to eat raw far more often so I'll be checking this thread out, and yes I understand the bread/toast thing ... it's so comforting in the cold weather.

You might be interested in the Cafe Gratitude raw food (non) cook book called I Am Grateful, the recipes look fabulous and we ate there a couple of times last year, when in San Francisco & Berkley, and the food was simply wonderful.

Quote fiamma View Post
    Roxy: I'm sorry your transition to raw didn't work out; do you think it's something you might go back to in the future?
    I've actually been unintentionally eating a lot more raw food during this past week. A lot more fresh fruits and salads. I don't want to hijack your thread, but I will say it's helped my physical PMS symptoms (although not the emotional ones). I've had a lot less lower back and stomach cramping than I usually do.

Thanks everyone for your words of support

missbettie - didn't actually make the stuffed peppers as I was lacking one vital ingredient, but am hoping to make them tomorrow - will post the recipe if u like

vegcurry - thanks for the heads up on the book, sounds intriguing, must check that out

And Roxy - you're not hijacking my thread; I'm really happy to hear that more raw food has helped your PMS... I am loving it more and more as the days go by. It's also comforting to remember - at least for me - that if I "fall off the wagon", whatever I eat will nevertheless be vegan, unlike the way I was eating before, where I'd often be tempted by cheese

Another strange thing is that I find cold food to be perfectly adequate in terms of warming the body, even in this cold weather; I'm not finding eating cold food to be a problem particularly, despite the low temperatures.

Day Five

B: I made a bowl of cereal (actually got the idea from the breakfast thread) by soaking oats, almonds and sunflower seeds overnight, then adding soaked dates, fresh apple and banana, topped with plain soy yogurt, cinnamon and a drizzle of agave. I don't think the majority of those ingredients were strictly raw, but it was absolutely delicious.

L: Live "pasta" ribbons with basil pesto, topped with grated carrot and poppy seeds; apple.

I've been experimenting with vegan pesto, but have never found a decent substitute for the cheese; today I chucked in some nutritional yeast and miso, and it was pretty good.

Snack: Mango, some vegan biscuits (NOT raw ), fennel and liquorice tea

D: Wasn't all that hungry, perhaps after gorging myself on all those biscuits, so just made a spremuta (fresh OJ), and ate an apple and a pear.
    More fennel and liquorice tea.

I just found out that Woody Harrelson is a raw foodist

ETA: Today I feel tired and irritable, don't want to automatically blame the diet. Maybe it's detox? It does make me reflect on the nutritional aspect of raw foodism, which I am still learning all about. I do get the feeling though that many consider good health on a raw food diet to be automatic - as many do with veganism - and I think it's good to be wary.

Day Six

A bit of a mixed bag today, still feeling tired

B: Bread and jam

L: Spelt, zucchini and tomato (cooked); orange

D: Sunflower sausages (raw) and peas (cooked); some raw cookies from the Ani Phyo website, as suggested by cedarblue

Both the sausages and cookies were delish.

Are you finding the raw recipes more time consuming, or is about the same as your cooked meals? They're sounding pretty delicious all round, btw, and this is a really inspiring thread, Fiamma.

Quote Roxy View Post
    I've actually been unintentionally eating a lot more raw food during this past week. A lot more fresh fruits and salads. I don't want to hijack your thread, but I will say it's helped my physical PMS symptoms (although not the emotional ones). I've had a lot less lower back and stomach cramping than I usually do.
    Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm craving fruit smoothies and tomatoes and lettuce and stuff more.

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    this is a really inspiring thread, Fiamma.
    Yay, I'm so happy you're finding it useful

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    Are you finding the raw recipes more time consuming, or is about the same as your cooked meals? .
    To be honest I think I'm spending less time cooking; the problem is when things need to be dehydrated. That takes a long time, and I've been caught out on one or two occasions that I've wanted to make something and I realise it won't have time to dehydrate as long as it needs to.

I think part of my tiredness may be due to not eating enough greens; I haven't eaten ANY in the past week apart from salads (I'm a bit stressed out due to work, though; don't want to automatically blame the diet!) I would like to start making green smoothies in the morning, but currently the thought of consuming them in the morning just doesn't appeal; instinctively I feel as though they will be hard on the digestion.

Today we have no fruit left in the house... arghhhh!

Day Seven

B: Bread and jam
    Espresso coffee

L: Raw Thai Coconut Soup - OMG this soup was out of this world!!! (so much so that I can almost forget the pounding my hands took preparing the coconut; what a hassle. It was "pre-cut", and I think when I hit it with the hammer I was expecting it just to split open perfectly, like a Bounty advert or something )
    Half an apple I found in the fridge
    Tinned pineapple (raw or not?? hmmm...)
    Another coffee

D: Sunflower sausages and mushroom burgers
    Peas (not raw)
    Plate of raw veggies - tomato, red pepper, avocado, sprouts, carrot, sundried tomato and olives

Pretty good day all in all, despite lack of fruit

That sounds like a delicious day! Do you have a link for the coconut soup recipe?

I can't remember where I found it

Here it is:

Thai Coconut Soup

2 cups coconut water
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 cup tomatoes
    2 cups young coconut meat
    1/2 avocado
    1 medium garlic clove
    1 inch fresh ginger
    2 Tbs. mellow miso
    1 Tbs. garlic-flavored flax seed oil, or olive oil
    1/2 tsp. sea salt
    2 Tbs. nama shoyu, or tamari sauce
    2 limes or lemons, juice of
    2 pinches cayenne pepper, to taste
    1 cup cilantro, or parsley
    1 cup tomatoes, diced
    1/3 cup onions, chopped

Blend all ingredients except for the last three. Then add the cilantro or parsley, and blend briefly, so it's not entirely liquefied. Pour in a bowl. Add last two ingredients and mix well. Add more cayenne pepper if you desire the soup spicier.

Serves 4.

Quote Roxy View Post
    That sounds like a delicious day! Do you have a link for the coconut soup recipe?
    I second that, that soup sounds really good

I found this today while reading the Grist:
    http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

Weighing out which produce you'll benefit most from as well as which (if not buying organic) have the most pesticides and chemicals. It's expensive sticking to organic all the time, so I figure this might help as to which would be the best non-organic produce for raw vegans or any vegans for that matter.

Quote terem View Post
    I second that, that soup sounds really good

I found this today while reading the Grist:
    http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

Weighing out which produce you'll benefit most from as well as which (if not buying organic) have the most pesticides and chemicals. It's expensive sticking to organic all the time, so I figure this might help as to which would be the best non-organic produce for raw vegans or any vegans for that matter.
    ***rushes off to get grapefruit to eat!***
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Good work, Fiamma! & thanks for the coconut soup recipe, I am so going to make that!

I went raw in Nov-Dec 07 and then slowly went back to eating more cooked foods in 2008. I still have fruit for breakfast, a green smoothie mid-morning, a salad for lunch and then usually a cooked dinner and with some cooked snacks thrown in. I want to go back to being more raw because I want to be eating as best as I can at the moment and to be eating lots of antioxidants.

I just need some inspiration. It's too easy to reach for cooked foods so I need to go back to all the raw recipes I printed out and maybe buy Ani Phyo's book too.

I agree that dehydrating can take aggggges and I often forget and then realise something will take 10 hrs, ha!

Also, I don't eat wheat 99% of the time but I understand how addictive it can be. I do eat rice bread and I will even crave that sometimes but nowhere nearly as bad as wheat-based products. I also like potatoes so I might try for mostly raw days with a possible cooked meal in the evenings if I have to.

Another book I liked is The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. She isn't vegan but talks about vegans and the meal ideas are mostly vegan. She also covers the order foods should be eaten and plans on how to go from eating cooked to raw

I might try making zucchini pasta for dinner!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

lovely thread fiamma!

Thanks everyone

Day Eight

B: Oats, almonds and raisins with soya yogurt, agave and cinnamon

L: Finished off the soup from yesterday, some wholewheat crostini (not raw)
    Tinned pineapple

D: Will probably be another raw soup; unimaginative I know I'm thinking carrot, or gazpacho

Tomorrow I'm off to Milan, so up at 4... ick

JC

wow, this thread is so inspiring! i've given raw veganism serious consideration on many occasions, but i never seem to get past one raw meal. mainly because a) i lack willpower, b) i like hot food, and c) i'm not very knowledgeable on what is and isn't raw. for example, dried fruit, what's the deal with that? fiamma, have you noticed any weightloss as of yet?

Hi JC - crikey, I never thought I would inspire so many people, it's fantastic Weightloss... TBH I've been so busy I haven't been thinking about my weight.. tmrw I'll weigh myself and let you know!

Tonight I didn't make soup but... Cheesy Stuffed Peppers...
    And I'm going to file them under "Raw Food Gone Wrong"... ick...the mixture was supposed to taste "incredibly cheesy" but... no way!!! So that ended up feeding the trashcan It tasted very strongly of onion and parsley, two flavours I'm not wild about, and to be honest it just didn't taste like ANYTHING. Oh well, you live and learn.

My advice to anyone thinking of going raw... get some good "cook"books They'll give you a good idea of the range of things you can make. And it's kind of strange, JC - I thought hot food was more important to me than I'm realising that it is in reality... I don't miss it so much, actually I find the thought of it a bit of a turn off, or maybe that's too strong... I just don't crave it like I thought I would, apart from bread in the morning But I think that's just a case of getting used to eating alternatives; for example the soaked almonds/seeds I ate the other morning was great

Tomorrow I'm going to Milan and there's literally no food in the house.. I should be able to get a salad for lunch, so no probs there, but I daresay dinner will be cooked, given the state of my kitchen cupboards...

At least the dog has food, bless him

You seem to be doing really well!! I love that you're not too hard on yourself! It's definitely the way to go...

What kind of time is involved in making your soups and other meals? I'm interested in making some raw dinners!

Day Nine

Bah... today was rubbish

Brekky... coffee and brioche
    Lunch.... lentils and pasta
    Dinner... roast potatoes

100% cooked, on top of Medical Statistics and Pharmacokinetics

Ah well, Fiamma, tomorrow is another day and you can eat more raw Lentils & pasta sounds yummo too!

LMNOP - I think some raw meals are quick & some take a lot of prep. Some recipes say to dehydrate for 10 hrs, so for that you need to plan your meal in advance. When I made zucchini pasta the other night it didn't take long, maybe 30 mins and I actually enjoyed being in the kitchen processing pesto and chopping up zucchini, it was relaxing, like baking! Things like green smoothies are quick because you throw everything in a blender, as is juicing.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Thanks Kitteh and Ella for your kind words... they are much appreciated
    Ella... I'll get back to you on length-of-meal-preparation times

I'm taking a break from this thread for a few days; i'm going to London tomorrow, plus the bf did the shopping and there's not much raw in the house, and I'm lacking motivation because I'm feeling swamped with work, it's all getting a bit hectic

I hope to be back in the middle of next week. Thanks for reading and Go Raw!

have fun fiamma!!

JC

Fiamma, i'm following your example and trying to go raw! I only had one raw meal today, which i totally cheated on because i bought a fresh fruit smoothie from a smoothie bar and a nakd bar - but still, i'm proud. Then i went to the health food store and stocked up on a selection of fresh fruit and veg, sprouts, dried fruit, nuts, agave syrup and raw chocolate. Little steps, but it all counts

Good for you JC, good luck with your raw journey! As the Taoist saying goes, a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step...

I'm really enjoying my forays into the raw universe, and I hope you will too

JC

Thanks Fiamma
    Today, i bought something called lucuma powder - i was intreagued by the packet, which said that it's "THE most popular ice-cream flavour in indigenous countries" - does anyone know what it is/does, or know of any recipes i can use it in?