Thread: Defeated by item in the organic veg box

pathologist

Default Defeated by item in the organic veg box

For the first time I've got an item in my weekly veg box that I really do not know what to do with. A packet of borage flowers - I can usually think of a recipe for everything but this has defeated me. Jackie who runs the scheme (its little and local) assured me they tasted lovely but I tried eating one and I thought it was absolutely awful! I'm afraid I ended up using them as a decoration. I'm totally against wasting food and don't waste any fruit or veg - but I couldn't imagine munching through a plateful of these!

happy

Default Re: Defeated by item in the organic veg box

What is the scheme of which you speak? Whereabouts in Lancashire is it? You could try blending the flowers in a smoothie,or chopping finely for salads/stir-fries,that way using a little at a time.I'm not sure,though am always interested in how flowers may be used in food.

I think you use them sparingly mixed in with other 'salad' type things as they can be quite sweet tasting!
    Or add them to gin!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Borage is commonly used by those who like strong drink, google borage alcoholic for a list of recipes.
    I kid you not.
    Also the middle part of the borage flower (stamen) is supposed to give you a high if you bite into it.. it contains some mildly psychoactive drug.
    Borage is popular with organic gardeners because it does something to pests, not sure if it repels them or keeps them off your other plants.
    Other than that it has medicinal uses in herbalism.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    ...Also the middle part of the borage flower (stamen) is supposed to give you a high if you bite into it...
    I've never heard of this before. I wonder how many it's supposed to take? My Mum has always grown borage and I used to eat the flowers now and then but I suppose I didn't have more than 5 or so in one go. Can't say I noticed any effect!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    I've never heard of this before. I wonder how many it's supposed to take? My Mum has always grown borage and I used to eat the flowers now and then but I suppose I didn't have more than 5 or so in one go. Can't say I noticed any effect!
    The rest of your family were probably wondering why you were climbing a tree with a tea cosy on your head though!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Borage is for Pimms!

Yes, I was going to say Pimms (or just lemonade without the Pimms). The flowers do look pretty in salad and I've never noticed any psychedelic effects. I'm not sure about eating the leaves as they are a bit on the hairy side. (I'm sure they would make good compost though, a bit like comfrey? )

pathologist

Ah - I don't like alcohol at all so Pimms and gin are not for me- but yes - maybe the odd one or two in a lemon drink might add something. yes I know salads are often said to benefit from the addition of a flower or two but to me the taste is better without - but maybe its just a matter of aquiring the taste for them. We will certainly be composting the left overs (compost everything!)

Our box scheme is Nature's garden in Rossendale - East Lancs - but Jackie makes no money doing it so I don't know how long she can continue really - its a very difficult thing to do.

I find I usually just prefer the petals in these salad flowers, not the green bits. My 2¢.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote twinkle View Post
    From what I read just one bite will have an effect. Maybe one has to be very sensitive to these things , I also tried it and didn't notice anything.

Wikipedia claims the Iranians make a calming drink from the dried flowers.

Quote gogs67 View Post
    The rest of your family were probably wondering why you were climbing a tree with a tea cosy on your head though!
    Hee! I guess I did do some strange things...
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I mentioned this to a friend and she suggested making borage "tea" from the leaves. To judge from a few web references I just found, this seems to be a folk remedy for various things.

It would be interesting to try it - a bit like cucumber tea I imagine

pathologist

Sorry - just did not get through them - so most went to compost - hate to waste food (though not sure they are quite what I'd think of as food) - but thanks for all the suggestions. Must say - I just could not fancy the tea- I suppose I'm not really very adventerous for that sort of thing. But as i say - my first failure from the veg box!

On the subject of veg boxes, does anyone have any good ideas for using up a large quantity of beetroot, please?

Borscht.

Pickled.

Cooked.

Untomato sauce.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks - I generally turn them into soup (hot or cold) or bake them but I'm getting a bit bored with them like that (especially in these quantities). I have a bit of a phobia of pickled ones but I might try branch out and make a sauce, good idea

Borscht is up there at the top of the list for me. I love it.

The recipe I use is from Cranks' cookbook, minus the cream. The nutmeg and vinegar give it that 'wow' factor.

I like the small beetroot steamed and served with a 'cheese' sauce.

pathologist

Oh i love beetroot! I do all sorts of different things. I recently tried a new soup - beetrrot, cocnut milk and lime juice. I really didn't think it sounded that great but when i tasted it - it was absolutely lovely. I love all sorts of roast beetroot. I also do some lovely curries - beetroot an sweet potato- beetroot and aubergine- all superb!!

pathologist

If anyone's interested i can tell you which books i used for the above.

Quote harpy View Post
    On the subject of veg boxes, does anyone have any good ideas for using up a large quantity of beetroot, please?
    Lentil, apricots and beetroot soup is amazing!

Thanks for the tips folks. I discovered that some of what I thought at a glance were beetroot were actually very red peaches so I don't have as much of a problem as I thought - this week - but I'll save the ideas for next week.

beetroot risotto is lush!

Beetroot crisps or just plain ol' roasted beetroot chippies.

Quote harpy View Post
    Thanks - I generally turn them into soup (hot or cold) or bake them but I'm getting a bit bored with them like that (especially in these quantities). I have a bit of a phobia of pickled ones but I might try branch out and make a sauce, good idea

Gaaaahhhh, they remind me of childhood Saturday's with my grandmother. I HATE pickled beetroot.

Glad I'm not the only one. It's not just the taste of pickled beetroot, it's also the way it bleeds vinegary red juice on to everything else on the plate Strangely OH seems to like that!

I should try the chips though (in the oven in my case as I'm useless at frying things) and yes I agree squigaletta it's good in risotto - should do that too. Thanks for all the ideas.