Thread: We're hoping to adopt a baby

Default We're hoping to adopt a baby

We're finally starting the process of adoption! We've filled in all our initial forms, & will be doing our home study soon. We can't wait - it's all beginning to feel real now & as if it's finally going to happen. Now all we need to do is persuade someone to trust a couple of vegans with bringing up their baby!

You can follow our progress here, if you're interested. Wish us luck!
    British vegans living in sunny SoCal, trying to start our family through open adoption.

Default Re: We're hoping to adopt a baby

Good luck!

Wonderful news! Best of luck

Good luck!

Yay! That's exciting! Good luck!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Thanks, guys! *hug*
    British vegans living in sunny SoCal, trying to start our family through open adoption.

Already sent you best wishes on VP, but one can't have too much on their side while going through the adoption process, right!? May it go smoothly and easily and as quickly as possible for you all!
    mama to Ryan (7), AJ (6), Nate (3), Maia (1), all born at home.

Very cool, congrats!!!

I don't know what your infant feeding plans are...or if you've even thought about that yet...but I wanted to let you know that it is possible to induce lactation and breastfeed an adopted baby. This helps avoid the use of artificial milk (which carries risks and is not vegan.) I can tell you more about that and provide links & information if you are interested. I am a breastfeeding counselor by trade.

Another option is to find human donor milk. Check this website:

http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/

Many breastfeeding mothers are willing to donate milk privately.

Again, congratulations.
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." -- Flannery O'Connor

Thanks, veganf! No, you can never have too much on your side.

And thanks, Mommal. I may take you up on that. I've just started on the herbs & pumping. I've probably got ages before a baby is placed with us, & I'd rather try this way first, rather than taking drugs to induce. If it all goes horribly wrong (or doesn't go anywhere at all!), I may be back to ask for some advice.

Right on! Starting ASAP is wise. It can take time to up that supply once the milk-making cells are stimulated. If you don't mind me asking, will you be using a combination of herbs? What have you heard of so far? Has anyone mentioned goat's rue to you?
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." -- Flannery O'Connor

I've actually got combination pills that contain Borage seed oil extract, Fenugreek seed extract, Milk thistle seed extract, Fennel seed, Nettles leaf, Blessed thistle aerial parts, Vervain aerial parts, Hops flower, Oatstraw aerial parts, Red raspberry leaf, Goats rue leaf, Chaste tree berry - I think that should cover it!

We'll have our first meeting with our social worker next Saturday. I can't wait!

All very good ingredients. Here are some potentially useful links in case you or anyone else in the forum would like them:

Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding: The Basics

Ask Lenore

http://lowmilksupply.org/

Breastfeeding an Adopted Baby and Relactation

Adoptive Breastfeeding & Relactation Forum

Thanks, Mommal. I'd found the Ask Lenore one, but the others look good.

The site on low milk supply has particularly good info I think. And kellymom is a very popular and respected site for breastfeeding information-- check it out!!

The one interesting recommendation I'd heard lately on induced lactation (from the book "The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk") was that early on in the process frequent massage and eventually hand-expression were better than trying to use an electric pump every time. That would also save a mother from having to frequently wash the pump parts.

Quote Mommal View Post
    The one interesting recommendation I'd heard lately on induced lactation (from the book "The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk") was that early on in the process frequent massage and eventually hand-expression were better than trying to use an electric pump every time. That would also save a mother from having to frequently wash the pump parts.
    Thanks! I'll bear that in mind.

Things are moving along with the adoption process. We've had our first visit with our social worker and she's lovely! She'll be coming round on the 25th to do the 'home' part of our home study, & to do our individual interviews. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Hope all goes well with your interviews
    What wonderful news that you are going to adopt-how exciting!
    Sending you lots of hugs, and hope it all goes well

can i add my congrats too? - hope all goes well!

Nothing much happening on the adoption front these days. We got through all the social worker visits without a hitch, & are now 'home study approved'. Now we just sit and wait. Our adoption profile is out there, and expectant mothers/families are viewing it - we just have to wait until one of them picks us.

congratulations!
    context is everything

BlackCats

I hope you hear something very soon.

i tried breastfeeding my daughter, i did the pump thing too but i never managed to induce lactation. Also when i incouraged her to nurse she wasn't having any of it ...what so ever.. it took till she was 2 to trust me enough to hold her like a baby. i'd known her since she was 3 month, but she was in the orphanage for a year. I hope and trust that this will not be the case for you. fingers crossed your milk will come in. i gave up too soon i suspect.
    As for adoption, its is the best thing i have ever done. i love my daughter to bits and its truly wonderful. I listen to a lot of podcast and one great one is called creating a family, its about adoption and infertility she deals with both topics and has a big back catalog to listen too, you can skip the infertility ones if they aren't for you. Her website is also an amazing resource for all things adoption. as for a birth family choosing you, i am sure that there will be one. Good luck.