Thread: Sources of fat

Default Sources of fat

Hi guys

I'm reading The China Study at the moment and have just got to the bit about fat and breast cancer but have had to stop reading and go back to work.

I (obviously) don't eat any animal protein but am worried I eat too much fat. I eat heaps of vegetables and fruit but do also indulge in soy milk, chocolate, the odd bit of ice cream and lots of peanut butter.

So really, I just wanted to know more about fat. What types are good, what types are bad, how much one can have, where to find bad fats, if eating peanut butter for breakfast will give me some deadly disease.

I've had a quick google but I've mostly turned up things like "eat olive oil and walnuts" and people who are looking to put on weight.

As with the majority of ladies, I'd rather not put on weight!

Default Re: Sources of fat

I doubt eating peanut butter will give you any kind of deadly disease, so you can put your mind at rest

AFAIK, the bad fats are saturated fats (found in animal produce, also palm oil and coconut oil, I think), and trans fats (or hydrogenated fats, fats with hydrogen added to them, makes them solid at room temperature, but also bad for you).

As with everything, moderation is the key. Good fats are found in nuts, seeds and avocados, but you can have too much. Peanut butter is fine, just don't eat the whole jar in one sitting... A bit of chocolate is fine too, and soy milk isn't high in fat.

The importance as far as Omega 3s and 6s go is the balance between the two; if you can get hold of a copy of "Becoming Vegan" by Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davies it explains the whole fat issue very well.

Hmm, I wonder if I eat too much saturated fat. I eat maybe a bar of dark chocolate a day...and a few sweets here and there...and a desert each day (alpro soya chocolate desert, ice cream or yoghurt). There there's other miscellaneous sneaky sources, like processed things - guacamole, stir fry sauces etc.

Maybe I'm just scaring myself?

How do vegan sources of saturated fat measure up to normal sources? For example, would my bar of dark chocolate contain less saturated fat than my dad's pasty? Orrrr...that vegan swedish glace ice cream compared to normal ice cream?

Maybe I'm just confusing myself. =oS

Its best not to worry too much about such things, eat lots of fruit n veg, pulses and wholegrains and you will be fine.
    Vegans nowadays have the opportunity to indulge in junk food like never before, imo chocolate and ice cream do count as junk foods so should be eaten in moderation, like as treats.
    Peanut butter is a good source of protein so keep eating that, also I have heard coconut is still very good for you even though it has saturated fat, not sure quite why, maybe someone else may be able to explain. Nuts and avocadoes are also good sources of vegan fats. Have you tried hummous? It's usually vegan.
    Shop bought guacamole often contains dairy cream.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

as a rule of thumb avoid fats which are solid at room temperature, and be less cautious of fats which are liquid at room temperature.

scott

i add hemp oil to my salads, pasta sauces and home made humus . table spoon amount each serving...tastes nutty n funny to begin with ..but after a few days becomes more n more yummy. and helps you to feel full. after a meal. ( no after cravings for sweets and pudding type things)

has the best ratio of omega ,apparently better than flax , better for you than olive oil. . expensive tho. and has no thc.