Thread: Sports equipment

Default Sports equipment

Hello, I've done some searching around, and have a hard time finding a place where I can get sports equipment (soccer balls, boxing gloves, etc.) that are animal friendly. Anyone have any suggestions?

-Carlos

Default Boxing Gloves!?

Hiya,
    Not sure if this is the right section to ask in. Does anyone know of any manufacturers of 100% synthetic Boxing Gloves? I have searched but the closest i've seen so far have had suede palms. Am looking for 12-15 oz weight. If any boxers/kick-boxers on here have already found anything then any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Tom

And just out of interest, is there any UK peeps on here into Kickboxing/Muy Thai?

Default Re: Boxing Gloves!?

Hi, Tom. I don't know off hand where you can get your gloves from, but check out www.veganfitness.net if you have not already, and maybe repost your question there, if you have exhausted all searches on the www, as they have a lot of sporting experts with various specific interests there, including Martial Arts.

Or, these are in Australia, they might be able to make you some. www.veganwares.com
    Vegans go all the way.

Gliondrach

Hello, Tom.

I used to box a bit. I had a couple of what might be called kick-boxing matches, too. I've matured now and realise how daft I was putting myself at risk. My brain still functions well, although some people might dispute it. I keep in training but I'm more interested in grappling. This is for self-defence purposes. I know how to defend myself with my hands but if it became a wrestling match I would be very slow and clumsy. I can't get any training partners to practise arm locks and throws. I am going to make my own training partner from an old boiler suit, stuffed with rags, and suspended from something.

Good luck with your quest for gloves.

Regards,

Martin.

Abfab - Thanks for the info - Gertvegan Pm'd me that link as well and it was very helpful.....thanks.

Gliondrach - That's cool. Yeah, grappling is the one for self defence for sure. Good luck with making your dummy.....make sure you show it who's boss! Cheers.

No prob. I wasn't sure about posting up a link to another vegan forum, but it's a fitness-specific vegan forum so I thought it would be ok, plus we are all working to the same aim anyway, so I hoped it was ok. Hope you find what you are looking for.
    Vegans go all the way.

Question Non leather baseball gloves for kids

I've seen a bunch of sites that make non-leather gloves for adults, but non for kids. I've got a toddler that LOVES baseball and would like to get him a glove to play around with. Does anyone know of a site/company that makes these? Thanks.

Default Re: Non leather, animal friendly sports equipment

Competitive sport is a problem for the vegan. Can't insist on teams and leagues using your synthetic products so we are left only with the option of kicking/throwing/catching/bouncing a pigskin/cowskin ball for fun and recreation.

Even tennis balls are wool fibre coated.

On the Coast

I'm just so stoked there are now Vegan climbing shoes. When I started rock climbing, it was all leather this and leather that when it came to shoes. Going climbing was the one time my Sis and I were unable to look eachother in the eye, yet were ashamed to look at our feet also. Now days, there are a half dozen Vegan climbing shoes on the market, and some of the best climbing inovations in foot wear, are only available on Vegan shoes - .......

Default vegan friendly softball glove???

ahhh! HELP!

i signed up for a softball legue with some friends... and it never even crossed my mind that i didnt have a glove!!! (and 99.9 of them a leather !)

i have been having a he!! of a time finding one online. anyone know of any links???

(i found one company that takes the leather lacings out of a rawlings glove and stitches it back up with synthetics, but i am not interested in that, since is is purchased from the company with the leather... ((btw i dont really get how they can call that a vegan glove , but whatever...)))

if i cant find one soon im going to have to drop out of the legue...
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 19th, 2007 at 08:24 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Default Re: vegan friendly softball glove???

These people will do an all vegan one:
    http://www.carpentertrade.com/material.html

You have to tell them not to use wool as a filling, though.

I'm guessing they aren't cheap, though.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Got my new climbing shoes yesterday!!!
    Ahhhhh........so comfy compared to my old ones, lol!

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

trudatman

I love my full-sized synthetic-leather football with a built-in pump. there should be many more non-leather options for the sporstsminded. vegan leagues would be cool. can't be many, though. meow.