Thread: Great Non-Vegan Eateries In UK

Default Great Non-Vegan Eateries In UK

Let's face it, vegan eateries are rather hard to come by in the UK (unless you happen to live in London), and we are often going out with friends, family members, work colleagues etc that would prefer not to eat at a solely vegan or vegetarian restaurant.

I have eaten at places that have said that they can cater for vegans, and have been offered such vegan delights as tuna, omelette, and two slices of dry bread with a piece of iceberg lettuce in the middle. I have also gone to eat at places where the 'chef' has said that s/he cannot cook for a vegan.

Here you can post about a restaurant or cafe that you have been to that has exceeded your expectations and provided a lovely vegan meal for you.

This weekend I went to see the in-laws in Kent and they phoned through to a restaurant called The Barn in Rainham (near Gillingham), and asked whether they could cater for a couple of vegans in their party of ten. They said they certainly could, stating they had four vegans eat there the previous week. All veg is organically grown locally, and extremely tasty.

We were offered a seperate starter, main and pudding and all were delightful. I didn't have the pudding myself, and neither did my girlfriend; but one of the other guests did and ensures me it was.

- Starter was a red onion tarte with beetroot and salad.
    - Main was a stuffed beef tomato with cous cous with sweet corn, asparagus, carrot, chilli, peppers and some other bits.
    - Pudding was something lemon based... can't remember...

Not only was the food very good, but the setting was beautiful too in this 17th century building. After eating you can also go for a walk along the riverside too.
    I like football. And potatoes.

Default Re: Great Non-Vegan Eateries In UK

Our local Turkish restaurant does a great selection of Meze dishes, and many of them are suitable for vegans
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Buddha Belly

Bar Meze in Hitchin, Herts. Good Meze mixes and correctly aware of what a vegan is.

Red China in Letchworth, Herts. Lovely all you can eat Cantonese retaurant. Again, aware of vegan needs and has the best Garlic and Chilli Beancurd I have EVER tatsted in my life. My omni sister loved the food there too.

There's a nice bistro-type place in Glasgow called The Left Bank, in Gibson Street. It's omnivorous but they mark vegan stuff on the menu and there is quite a lot of it.

As we've discussed before, the Real Greek branches around London also have vegan stuff marked on the menu, though it's a trifle annoying that the bread is non-vegan. Still, nothing's perfect

Oh yes the Left Bank is brilliant. They have a little symbol on their menu which denotes that there is a vegan option if you ask. Most of the dishes have the symbol.

Near Ipswich there is a vegetarian pub, it serves no meat whatsoever, and also has a few vegan dishes. It's called the 'Veggie Red Lion'

Quote everdream View Post
    Near Ipswich there is a vegetarian pub, it serves no meat whatsoever, and also has a few vegan dishes. It's called the 'Veggie Red Lion'
    A vegetarian pub! Outrageous And I love the concept of a vegetarian lion, haha.

I went to Hitchcock's Vegetarian Restaurant in Hull last night. They do an all you can eat hot and cold buffet, including desserts and coffee for £15 or £12 midweek if you are a Vegan soc member or Viva supporter.

The theme of the evening was "Cajun" and the only thing that wasn't vegan was the sour cream (served separately).

Can recommend!

Buddha Belly

Quote Kate1978 View Post
    I went to Hitchcock's Vegetarian Restaurant in Hull last night. They do an all you can eat hot and cold buffet, including desserts and coffee for £15 or £12 midweek if you are a Vegan soc member or Viva supporter.

The theme of the evening was "Cajun" and the only thing that wasn't vegan was the sour cream (served separately).

Can recommend!
    It sounds like the sort of place that should be made into a chain.

It's kind of weird and quirky, dimly lit place with cool music. Very individual.

It was worth travelling an hour for. I'd love a place like that a bit closer to home though.

Lantong Thai on Lower Parliament Street in Nottingham if you can handle hot food. Have separate vegan menu but aren't specifically vegan.

Really good service and understand what veganism is.

Sloth

Quote Charlotte View Post
    Lantong Thai on Lower Parliament Street in Nottingham if you can handle hot food. Have separate vegan menu but aren't specifically vegan.

Really good service and understand what veganism is.
    If you can find the door!

I have now gone off the Real Greek because when we went the other day they had added to their menu a "vegan" dish which contains honey. I wrote to complain and they said it's OK because their consultant says some vegans eat honey Have written back...

You see, this is when I get peed off when people who eat honey call themselves vegan. I mean, if you choose to eat bee spit, that's your call but DON'T call yourself a vegan because it muddies the waters for true vegans getting their dietary requirements understood by the general public. It feels like two steps forward and one step back when I hear stuff like that

Agreed. Even the govt knows vegans don't eat honey, as I've pointed out.

ETA better link: http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/...iguidancenotes

The Real Greek now say they are going to amend their menu when they reprint it to correct the honey thing. Hurray, although I shall hurray more loudly when I see it.

I was just in Newcastle and a bit too late too eat there but there is a veggie pub called Bob Trollopes in Newcastle by the Quayside.. apparently they do vegan food on the menu and it's all marked...