Thread: Health food shops in Jersey?

Default Health food shops in Jersey?

Hi,
    I'll be in Jersey for a week at the beginning of September and I've been looking online for any health food shops there, ideally near to St. Helier, but I've drawn a blank.
    Not even a Holland and Barrett, as far as I can see!

Anyone know if I'm likely to be able to find Plamil Egg Free Mayo there?
    (If not, I think I'll bring a jar with me, I can't imagine life without it, tbh.)

Also, do any of the supermarkets do a decent range of vegan food?
    I'm assuming I'll have no trouble finding tofu, couscous, tahini, soya spread and stuff like that?

Default Re: Health food shops in Jersey?

The main healthfood shop in St Helier (Leaders) is actually pretty well stocked (as good as any shop in the UK). There are some brands that aren't imported to the island at all (such as sanitarium), but you shouldn't have any problems getting most of things you're used to.

There's a large organic farm shop on the east coast called Holme Grown that sell a lot of vegan stuff. It's worth a visit if you're in that area (if for no other reason than they had vegan Stollen a few years back). I know they sell Plamil chocolate, but don't know about Mayo:

http://www.holmegrown.com/

Most of the small supermarkets (Checkers) on the island have soya milk. There are quite a few M&Ss, which carry the same stock as the UK (i.e. not great, but some vegan things). There are co-ops:

http://www.ci-cooperative.com/foodstores/jersey.asp

but I find co-op a bit hit and miss - sometimes great (particularly with labelling), but othertimes a bit rubbish.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I thought you meant New Jersey and I got all excited to tell you places woops

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    The main healthfood shop in St Helier (Leaders) is actually pretty well stocked (as good as any shop in the UK). There are some brands that aren't imported to the island at all (such as sanitarium), but you shouldn't have any problems getting most of things you're used to.

There's a large organic farm shop on the east coast called Holme Grown that sell a lot of vegan stuff. It's worth a visit if you're in that area (if for no other reason than they had vegan Stollen a few years back). I know they sell Plamil chocolate, but don't know about Mayo:

http://www.holmegrown.com/

Most of the small supermarkets (Checkers) on the island have soya milk. There are quite a few M&Ss, which carry the same stock as the UK (i.e. not great, but some vegan things). There are co-ops:

http://www.ci-cooperative.com/foodstores/jersey.asp

but I find co-op a bit hit and miss - sometimes great (particularly with labelling), but othertimes a bit rubbish.
    Excellent info, exactly what I needed to know!
    The shop in St. Helier sounds like it will be the first one I'll try. I'll not need *too* much stuff, just a few basics to get me through the week.
    I'll be based in Grouville and I hope to do a bit of sight-seeing in a non-tourist-ish way so I may even find my way to Holm grown.
    It sounds like it's worth a visit, definitely.

Here in Dublin I use Tesco Sweetened soya milk which I find exactly the same as Alpro Original. Now I know there are no Tescos in Jersey but Soya milk is easy to find almost everywhere these days!

Ok, great info, Mr Flibble, and thank you muchly!