Thread: MN or midwest vegans

Default MN or midwest vegans

i love living in the midwest. hello! post here if you're in the area!

Thumbs up Re: MN vegans! or midwest vegans

I'm here - another vegan in Minneapolis!
    By accident, I just came across this forum.. and then saw your call-out to other MN vegans.

Default Re: MN vegans! or midwest vegans

hi! good to know there's others in the area! we can discuss things like pizza luce deliciousness and no one will know what we're talking about

I was in Minneapolis last summer. Pizza Luce was delicious!

Ah,.. see!.. Even people from London know Pizza Luce! It's best not kept a secret, eh?

And we've got Fast and Furless, down the street!

Quote X_ View Post
    Ah,.. see!.. Even people from London know Pizza Luce! It's best not kept a secret, eh?

And we've got Fast and Furless, down the street!
    I'm actually originally from the Midwest, which explains it. I loved Fast and Furless, too! Got an awesome wallet and my first ever Sweet & Sara s'more there!

Quote mariana View Post
    I'm actually originally from the Midwest, which explains it. I loved Fast and Furless, too! Got an awesome wallet and my first ever Sweet & Sara s'more there!
    Cool. I've been too broke to shop but, when I can, I support those who I want to stay in business - and Fast and Furless is one of those places. I, also, hope to attended Vegan Drinks Twin Cities, someday, at Animal Rights Coalition and Fast and Furless. I'm on both ARC's and F&F's eMailing list - that's how I find out what I'm missing. I haven't tried the s'mores.. or the twinkies
    ..maybe.. ..someday..

Just joined VF and saw this...I'm in Oakdale, suburb just east of St. Paul.

Are we the only three on these boards? Hope not!

I've only been a vegan for a short while but I have already thoroughly enjoyed Pizza Luce and Fast and Furless!

Madison has some great vegan friendly places. Hard Times in Minneapolis is great. There's some good places in Uptown as well.
    pro-vegetable

Quote beartd1 View Post
    Just joined VF and saw this...I'm in Oakdale, suburb just east of St. Paul.

Are we the only three on these boards? Hope not!

I've only been a vegan for a short while but I have already thoroughly enjoyed Pizza Luce and Fast and Furless!
    It was a fluke that I happened to find this forum.. so.. we might be the only ones here,.. for now. I know there are numerous vegans in the Twin Cities, so we're not alone. And I'm happy to hear that you've joined our tribe.
    There are many more vegan-friendly restaurants.. Hard Times, as just mentioned, by burl (hello, Arizona! - I used to live there!), .. and Seward Cafe, Galactic Pizza, TAO, (etc., a google will show more). I haven't tried the Ecopolitan but I'd like to - it's raw! I was sorry to see Heavenly Soles close. I couldn't afford their shoes and boots but I still like to see vegan stores stay in business.
    I was just in a store, yesterday, and one of the clerks saw my "Go Vegan" button on my jacket.. and 'said that she's vegan, too. I love running into other vegans! The more.. the merrier.

Sweet! I hadn't heard of those other places. (I've only been vegan for a month or so)

Where do you buy your vegan cheese? (if you buy vegan cheese that is!)

The places I have tried around my town only have veggie cheese that still has milk product in it. I think I miss cheese the most!

Quote beartd1 View Post
    Sweet! I hadn't heard of those other places. (I've only been vegan for a month or so)

Where do you buy your vegan cheese? (if you buy vegan cheese that is!)

The places I have tried around my town only have veggie cheese that still has milk product in it. I think I miss cheese the most!
    This is a busy time of the year, for me, (I'm an artist, 'got a web site, 'got a lot of emails to answer, etc.) so I'm not able to reply as quickly as I'd like. sorry.

I don't think there are any completely vegan restaurants around the Twin Cities but there are several that know what vegans are, even have vegan employees, and have some vegan options on the menu.

Ah.. cheese. I remember it well. lol I've been vegan for about 20 years and I still miss it,.. until I think about what it is, where it comes from and how we get it.. and then I lose my appetite. No, really,.. I've tried the vegan cheeses, which can be found at most co-ops, I think (I'm a member of The Wedge.. and I'm over in Minneapolis so.. Saint Paul might have a lot of shops and restaurants that I know nothing about.), but I still haven't found any Vegan cheeses that are worth the money. It's been years since I've tried any but I gave some a try, again, this year and.. won't be doing that again any time soon. Well, there's a parmesan that I kind of like but I can't remember the name of it (and, keep in mind, I haven't had cheese in a couple of decades so what tastes good to me might not taste good to you..) and I like the Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese and Better Than Sour Cream. When I crave Mac & Cheese I found a recipe for a cheese-like sauce that's really nutritious, as well as tasty. Since I'm swamped with work, right now, I don't have time to look around here, at the moment,.. but take a look over at the Vegan food & recipes section. I bet the foodies would be helpful, especially when you're making the transition.

You're really lucky to have found this forum just as you turned Vegan. And, it's getting easier to be Vegan these days. Are you doing okay during this holiday season?

Not a place to buy vegan cheese, but Pizza Luce (mentioned earlier in the thread) does some nice vegan pizza, including vegan cheese (not sure what kind they use).

I've never found very good storebought vegan cheese (though Teese, made in Chicago, is alright) except for this stuff made at a very vegan-friendly coffee shop in Iowa City....it's amazing! The only thing I miss about Iowa is that cheese and the vegan frappuccinos there...

X: No worries on the delayed responses! What kind of artist are you?

I found some cheese at Whole Foods this past weekend, haven't tried it yet though (a little scared ha)

The holidays haven't been bad, my mom and dad are both supportive and more than willing to buy/make some vegan stuff to have on the table. I know some of my other relatives don't care for it, but they usually don't bring it up, so I don't either.

The hardest place so far has been at my work. People in my group bring in food all the time to share with everyone and if I just say no without a reason its like they get offended but if I say no thanks, I'm a vegan I get accused of trying to throw it in peoples faces and constantly talking about it. Silly people, I think they are starting to catch on now and realizing I really only talk about it if I am asked about it or if I'm explaining to someone why I won't eat their precious cookies.

Mariana: Pizza Luce is fantastic, I was just there on Saturday! It's great to have a place that serves great vegan and non-vegan(from what I'm told by my buds) food.

Quote beartd1 View Post
    Mariana: Pizza Luce is fantastic, I was just there on Saturday! It's great to have a place that serves great vegan and non-vegan(from what I'm told by my buds) food.
    Yeah, it's great! Wish there was a place that did vegan pizza like theirs in London....

Whole Foods will have a new vegan cheese next year. Beartd, I hope you end up feeling your non-dairy needs are met! I'm not sure about the Whole Foods in your area but I'd think they all carry the same stuff, right?

Anyone here as far west as Montana?

Question Re: MN vegans! or midwest vegans

Quote beartd1 View Post
    X: No worries on the delayed responses! What kind of artist are you?
    Wow, this is a really delayed response. 'Sorry. For some reason, I didn't get an email notification, like I used to, when someone posted here. To answer your question, beartd1, I'm a recycling artist. My main focus has been on recycling used/retired musical instrument strings,.. and what's most popular is the jewelry I make. If you google/bing Strings and a dare you'll find me.

Now, I don't know if I should say this here or post over in classifieds.. but I'm directing this to TC vegans. I'm looking for another place to live and work out of. I'm in a 1-bedroom and things are just getting too stupid, here, ('won't go into the details) so I want out. I'm making enough money to get into another apartment - well, I've got the money for rent but I don't make the required 3 times the amount - so I might have to do the roommate thing. If I'm going to return to living with humans, they've got to be vegans. I'm still in Minneapolis.. 'would like to stay in the Twin Cities area. Anyone got any suggestions, ideas,.. apartments or rooms to rent?

Default Re: MN or midwest vegans

Hello Im from Chicago

Quote Sgable84 View Post
    Hello Im from Chicago
    Yo, Chicago!

Hey, do any of you Minnesotans shop at The Wedge, in Minneapolis? If so, did you see the article called "My Vegan Challenge To Oprah," by Jennette Turner, in the June/July At The Wedge Newsletter? I'm a member of this Co-op and I'm disturbed that they would print this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm surprised that The Wedge would amplify anti-vegan literature. I aired my view about this over in the Things Meat Eaters Say section under the Responses To Arguments Against Veganism thread. 'Would like to hear what other locals think..

I live in Minnesota but I am up north by Lake Superior, not in the Minneapolis area. We have a Pizza Luce up here too, and several Whole Foods Coops. "The Green Mercentile" is a store that sells vegan glues and paint products as well as other earth friendly fabrics and materials, and there are a half dozen other restaurants up here with vegan options on the menu. If anyone is ever interested I typed a list of stores and restaurants in this area that sell vegan friendly products, especially vegan vitamins like D2 which is hard to find locally (not even the Whole Foods Coop up here has it but I found some at "Betty Lous" health food store). I even went to a message therapist who used lotions and oils and she found a vegan one for me because it was that or none at all . If I can find all this in northeastern Minnesota there is hope for us all yet!

Quote Robinwomb View Post
    I live in Minnesota but I am up north by Lake Superior, not in the Minneapolis area. We have a Pizza Luce up here too, and several Whole Foods Coops. "The Green Mercentile" is a store that sells vegan glues and paint products as well as other earth friendly fabrics and materials, and there are a half dozen other restaurants up here with vegan options on the menu. If anyone is ever interested I typed a list of stores and restaurants in this area that sell vegan friendly products, especially vegan vitamins like D2 which is hard to find locally (not even the Whole Foods Coop up here has it but I found some at "Betty Lous" health food store). I even went to a message therapist who used lotions and oils and she found a vegan one for me because it was that or none at all . If I can find all this in northeastern Minnesota there is hope for us all yet!
    "The Green Mercentile" sounds great! Are you staying afloat, Robinwomb?

Yes X I narrowly escaped the flood! My garden took a beating with standing water and wind but it held up. My basement has a little water but not much. Just eight blocks away is Miller creek and it is unbelievably raging. I feel bad for all the people around there that were flooded out. Today I rode my bike to work and surveyed all the damage. I rode down seventh ave east and the whole block of road was buckled with one car halfway swallowed up by a concrete manhole. It was like riding through a science fiction movie. Around my house the road is full of debris and buckled pavement, but nothing like other parts of town. This weekend when I have a little bit of time I am going to upload some pics of this area. It is so unbelievable the damage of all this rain. The saddest part is all of the animals at the Duluth zoo that were drowned in their cages outside as the creek there flooded the whole zoo. I just saw the news a few hours ago and PETA is bringing charges against the Duluth zoo for negligence. This is one of the many reasons I am so against zoos. I cant imagine the terror those animals faced as they were trapped in cages while the water quickly rose and overtook them. Makes me ill.

As far as the Green Mercentile, sadly they went out of business a few months ago. Duluth is a hard place to keep a business going.
    At any rate I am very fortunate to have come out of this crazy storm relatively unscathed and dry.

I don't travel to the Twin Cities too often, but I would love to try out the vegan restaurants down there when I am in that area of Minnesota! I feel so isolated up here.

http://www.peta.org/mediacenter/news...erior-Zoo.aspx

Yes X I narrowly escaped the flood! My garden took a beating with standing water and wind but it held up. My basement has a little water but not much. Just eight blocks away is Miller creek and it is unbelievably raging. I feel bad for all the people around there that were flooded out. Today I rode my bike to work and surveyed all the damage. I rode down seventh ave east and the whole block of road was buckled with one car halfway swallowed up by a concrete manhole. It was like riding through a science fiction movie. Around my house the road is full of debris and buckled pavement, but nothing like other parts of town. This weekend when I have a little bit of time I am going to upload some pics of this area. It is so unbelievable the damage of all this rain. The saddest part is all of the animals at the Duluth zoo that were drowned in their cages outside as the creek there flooded the whole zoo. I just saw the news a few hours ago and PETA is bringing charges against the Duluth zoo for negligence. This is one of the many reasons I am so against zoos. I cant imagine the terror those animals faced as they were trapped in cages while the water quickly rose and overtook them. Makes me ill.http://www.peta.org/mediacenter/news...erior-Zoo.aspx
    'Good to hear that you're alright. First it's been all the fires; now come the floods. Too bad we can't send all this water to Colorado and New Mexico. Screw oil pipelines.. we need water pipelines! I'm not one to trust news coverage; I know they decide how much they want to report.. so I don't feel well informed. I've heard that all but one (a pony or miniature horse) of the farm animals, at the zoo, died/drown. I have to wonder, did no one see this coming? Isn't this very unusual for Duluth..? And, by the time anyone saw the danger, when the waters rose quickly in the middle of the night, was it too late for zoo people to rescue or is it possible that, due to all the flooding, they couldn't get there? Or, with a Polar Bear loose, did they need more assistance for their own safety? On the news, last night, there was a report about some horses and a couple of lamas that were stranded. One lama didn't survive and one horse is still waiting to be rescued, last I heard. Even down here (I'm in Minneapolis) we heard that storms were coming but I don't think anyone saw *that coming. __ Be careful. Stay safe.

I'm not sure of the exact number of animals that drowned, but I have heard the same reports from the Duluth News Tribune about almost all of the farm animals drowning. The polar bear, while it escaped its own caged area, did not make it past the grounds of the zoos. When the flood was starting early Wednesday morning there were rumors on the radio and people calling in claiming they saw the polar bear running loose so that was a big scare. I didnt believe the reports of the seal being found on Grand ave until the news reported it and showed a picture. That turned out to be real.
    The zoo is situated in a kind of low lying bowl next to the creek, and they have had problems with floods before but obviously nothing like this. The rain was falling since late Monday night or early Tuesday morning, constant, and all of us were getting worried. There was a storm that, due to the nature of air pressure coming off Lake Superior and air pressure going against it, just sat over us for a long period. Still, no one could have foreseen the devastation all that rain would cause or that it was going to last that long. Nevertheless, the very nature of a zoo is keeping a lot of animals in enclosures but still exposed to the elements. Those animals have to depend on humans for everything. Not every situation can be planned for, but major events like floods and fires should certainly be taken into consideration if one is going to have so many animals in one place under their care, especially in a risky area. I dont know that this particular situation could have been avoided unless precautions were taken such as moving the animals somewhere else with all the warnings we had of all the rain. But that too is risky and expensive, though not more so than the animals drowning. Though this is a terrible situation, at least it is bringing national attention to the plight of zoo animals and people all around Duluth are talking about it.

I havent heard anything about the lama or horse. I will have to check into that one. I agree with you totally about the water pipeline versus oil! Last winter we had so little snow it was very strange, and everything was dry and there was worry about fires and droughts. I guess the rain and flood more than made up for that! My husband and I are going into the BWCA in August for a week on a canoe trip. I sure hope we don't have this kind of weather then!
    ps. and I thought I was up early! I see you posted at 3:37 AM! Or are you a late nighter?

I'm not sure of the exact number of animals that drowned, but I have heard the same reports from the Duluth News Tribune about almost all of the farm animals drowning. The polar bear, while it escaped its own caged area, did not make it past the grounds of the zoos. When the flood was starting early Wednesday morning there were rumors on the radio and people calling in claiming they saw the polar bear running loose so that was a big scare. I didnt believe the reports of the seal being found on Grand ave until the news reported it and showed a picture. That turned out to be real.The zoo is situated in a kind of low lying bowl next to the creek, and they have had problems with floods before but obviously nothing like this. The rain was falling since late Monday night or early Tuesday morning, constant, and all of us were getting worried. There was a storm that, due to the nature of air pressure coming off Lake Superior and air pressure going against it, just sat over us for a long period. Still, no one could have foreseen the devastation all that rain would cause or that it was going to last that long. Nevertheless, the very nature of a zoo is keeping a lot of animals in enclosures but still exposed to the elements. Those animals have to depend on humans for everything. Not every situation can be planned for, but major events like floods and fires should certainly be taken into consideration if one is going to have so many animals in one place under their care, especially in a risky area. I dont know that this particular situation could have been avoided unless precautions were taken such as moving the animals somewhere else with all the warnings we had of all the rain. But that too is risky and expensive, though not more so than the animals drowning. Though this is a terrible situation, at least it is bringing national attention to the plight of zoo animals and people all around Duluth are talking about it. I havent heard anything about the lama or horse. I will have to check into that one. I agree with you totally about the water pipeline versus oil! Last winter we had so little snow it was very strange, and everything was dry and there was worry about fires and droughts. I guess the rain and flood more than made up for that! My husband and I are going into the BWCA in August for a week on a canoe trip. I sure hope we don't have this kind of weather then! ps. and I thought I was up early! I see you posted at 3:37 AM! Or are you a late nighter?
    In one of the news reports we were told that the farm animals' enclosure was in a low lying area so, imho, with flooding possible some staff should have been there and prepared in case evacuation was going to be necessary, even if it was just a couple of people keeping watch who could call for assistance if need be. Plus, unlike exotic animals, the farm animals could have been easily relocated, I would think,.. if only to get them into trailers and moved to higher ground. I spent some years working with horses and, in some cases, I lived in a stall that was turned into a little apartment, so I was always there in case of emergencies. Doesn't the Zoo at least have security or a couple of staff on-hand 24/7? Btw, the two seals and the bear are down here, now, staying at the Como Zoo until they can return home. Any word on how toxic those flood waters were/are? Oh, and I was up late - 'nocturnal tendencies.

I really don't know if the zoo here has 24/7 security but they certainly should. I typically avoid visiting and/or supporting places that exploit animals so I really don't know much about the zoo up here. I visited it once years ago when I was still an omnivore and first moved up here, in 1998. They have struggled financially and have changed hands several times over the last decade or so. I hope the seals and the bear down there are doing ok with all that stress over the last week. Geepers.

We were told by the local news today that the city water is safe (relatively speaking lol), but to avoid areas where there is still standing water. That's about all. Clean up crews are out all over and lots of people are dragging ruined furniture etc out to curbs. The scariest part of all this is how unsafe Duluth's infrastructure is. Our own house has a crumbling foundation but we are too poor to afford to fix it right now. Insurance is hassling us though constantly about stuff. Even with my husband on disability and me working and going to school we cant get much help. Oh well.