Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Daiya cheese

Thumbs up Daiya cheese

is amazing!!! It has NO weird off-flavor whatsoever. I made a pizza tonight and it was amazing. You could probably feed it to an omni without them realizing it is vegan.

http://www.daiyafoods.com

I ordered an 8oz bag from Pangea.

For cutting and eating plain I like Dr. Cow but for cooking this is definitely going to be it!!!
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." -- Flannery O'Connor

Default Re: daiya

I've tried it too and I think it's pretty awesome!

Ooooh, Pangea sells it?!!! I've been DYING to try it! I was about ready to drive down to Mystic, CT since it's the closest place that has a pizza shop which uses it.
    mama to Ryan (7), AJ (6), Nate (3), Maia (1), all born at home.

It's very realistic and melts like a dream

Wow veganf you are close by!! I'm in Shrewsbury. I didn't know there was a source in Mystic, I'll have to check that out next time I go to Foxwoods to play poker. Hey I went to Sudbury Valley School in Framingham for high school. I don't know if you've heard of it.

I'm making another pizza tonight with the daiya, whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joe's (it is also very good not to mention cheap and convenient) and a solid pile of roasted veg on top. I should take a picture.
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." -- Flannery O'Connor

Thumbs up Re: daiya

Just got my 5# bag of cheddar shreds from veganessentials. OMG! I tried it as I was putting the shreds in baggies to freeze. The flavor blew me away. Just like I remember cheddar tasting 10 years ago. Next up: scalloped potatoes, grilled cheese sandwich, fondues... DEFINATELY the BEST vegan cheese by far.

FYI: 5# bag (shreds) yields 23 cups.

How good is this stuff? Is it worth ordering a bag when I'm in the States over Christmas? I read about it before and it sounded pretty cool but it was right before I came back to London and I didn't have time to order any.

^
    yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes well maybe yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

^

I am tempted to buy some...I have eaten at some of the restaurants listed on the site that use the product and remember the food being excellent. Does it do okay during shipping?
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I had some! It's really tasty but maybe overly oily.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

RubyDuby

we had it shipped. It's outrageously expensive with shipping ($18) but very, very good.

(eta: I didn't buy it, but I happily ate it )
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    Does it do okay during shipping?
    I ordered it on Tuesday evening from veganessentials in Wisconsin. The sent it 2 day air. I ordered the strofoam cold box as I had a few cold items. I got 4 little ice gel packs with the strofoam box.

I rec'd it Fri @ work. Once I opened the cold box, the items were not freezing cold, but still cold to the touch. The ice packs had defrosted but were still cold. I put the items in the fridge right away.

I'm still here a week later so no ill-effects!

Quote matt35mm View Post
    I had some! It's really tasty but maybe overly oily.
    Strange, I didn't think so. I have the shredded kind so maybe that reduces the oil somewhat?

I had it at a restaurant, so maybe they used too much oil in cooking it...?
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

This stuff is pretty much awesome. I ordered a small bag of the cheddar and the mozzarella , and made a quesadilla with the cheddar tonight. I was really impressed. Next up, eggplant Parmesan and pizza.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

tabbouleh-bouleh

Default Daiya cheeses!

Hello!

Has anyone tried these? I am intrigued.. really wanna see if it's as good as the Americans are saying

http://www.daiyafoods.com/
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 23rd, 2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Daiya cheese

Daiya cheese is pretty much the greatest invention ever made.

I had it in Portland, OR, which is where my wife lives and I'll be moving to, soon.

So annoying that you can't get it in the UK! I've been craving it badly.

Still, I'll be back in the US for a bit, in a few weeks

Anyone heard any rumours of UK availability?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Ooooohh! I really hope this comes over to the UK soon, otherwise I think I may have to move.

I emailed them asking about whether or not it would be available to buy in the UK and got the following response (pretty quickly, too) -

Quote Daiya Representative
    Hi Kelly,

Thank you for your interest in Daiya and our vegan cheese alternatives. Daiya is currently not available outside North America. We are currently only selling to food service clients in the U.S.A and Canada and will be launching our retail product in spring 2010. We are in talks with several groups who are interested in supplying the European market, and though we hope to make Daiya available overseas in 2010 we cannot make any promises at this time. Please check back with our website periodically for updates.

There are several online retailers in both Canada and the U.S. who will ship internationally using insulated boxes and ice packs. If you are interested you may find links to their stores on our “Where to Enjoy Daiya” page: http://www.daiyafoods.com/where.html

All the best,

Trudel
    Daiya Consumer Relations
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Mmm.. I'd very much like to try some of that when it comes to the UK. Very interesting that it is gluten and soy free. Uses pea protein like the vegerella stuff which I quite like.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

We're thinking of trying to get some shipped over Cumin! That's how patient we both are! It looks really good, plus everyone is raving about it!

We wants!

This "cheese" is great! It melts really, really well - so is great for Nachos, grilled "cheese" sandwiches etc...

I buy it in a large 2kg bag, divide it into little baggies (2 cups each) and freeze it. Freezing doesn't ruin it at all.

If you enjoy fake cheese products and ever have the chance to try this, I'd really suggest that you do!

when melted does it become stringy at all?

RubyDuby

it stretches a little bit before breaking off, if that's what you mean. It's a lot less dense than regular cheese.

It's not AS stringy as mozzarella, but it is a little bit stringy. Ruby's right - it's not as dense as real cheese. Probably because it doesn't have all that gooey fat.

Quote Bluemew View Post
    We're thinking of trying to get some shipped over Cumin! That's how patient we both are! It looks really good, plus everyone is raving about it!

We wants!
    Fondue party at your place then.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Cumin View Post
    Fondue party at your place then.
    Almost definitely!!!!

This sounds good, I want some.

I really want to try some of this!

I haven't had any cheese subsitute in a long time since my supermarket stopped carrying Follow Your Heart and Tofutti. I've been having some nooch sauce, which is alright, but is never a real replacement for the cheesy taste. It's delicious in it's own right, though.

I'm craving pizzas and nachos lately.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Anyone heard any rumours of UK availability?
    anyone?

I haven't had Daiya cheese but it sounds delicious .
    Carrot!

Daiya is awesome. It melts and has that surrendering gooeyness that you never could have before.
    It's also soy and gluten free, which isn't vital to me, but is to some!!!
    But I avoid soy as much as possible, so Daiya is a great option!

I think i might have to order some on the credit card. Is this going to be the most expensive cheese I have ever bought? lol

eta: does anyone know how much shipping works out at on veganstore.com to the uk? i was thinking about ordering 1 small bag of each type but im a bit aprehensive about typing in my card details before i know the shipping amount!

Those in Europe who crave vegan cheese, be sure to try out the No-Muh-Chäs (Swiss for 'No-Moo-Cheese'). Here's a review of a person who also knows the Daiya: http://www.plantbasedfoodie.com/vega...o-no-muh-chas/

And here's the website:
    http://www.vegusto.com/index-en.html

Disadvantage is that this seems to have twice as much the fat as the Daiya Cheese ... which makes it pretty much off-limits for me.

I tasted it once, and it was incredibly good - even my omnivorous wife, who was totally sceptical of the idea of vegan cheese ('If you want cheese, why do you not eat real one') was really taken with it, and the 200 gram piece was gone the same day it arrived. The comparison pieces from Sheese and cheezly spent much more time in my fridge, closer to a few weeks before they were finally consumed.

Best regards,
    Andy

I asked about European distribution via webform. Received 24th November:

Hi Vorpal,

Thank you for your interest in Daiya and our deliciously dairy free products!

We are currently focused on the launch of Daiya products in USA and Canada. We are always looking for ways to progress our business; however, I do not have a timeline as to when you can expect to see our products internationally. Hopefully you will be able to purchase Daiya in the near future.

Please keep an eye on our website for details. You will receive an automated notification once Daiya becomes available for retail purchase in your area http://www.daiyafoods.com/where/index.aspx.

Become a fan on facebook and follow us on twitter to get on-going updates and information!

Healthy Regards,

Shnane Liem

Consumer Relations/Sales Coordinator

Oooh, this looks so good. If anyone who can get this is coming to the UK PLEASE pack a suitcase full

My wife made me mac and cheese using this cheese. I use it all the time now. It's really good.
    Idk if it will cost too much, but I wouldn't mind looking into how much it would be for me to buy a bunch of it and ship it out to a few of you in the places that still don't have it.

I'm based in Paris at the moment. Went to Loving Hut, stuffed my face mmmm, and bought a block of Vegusto Classic cheese. Wasn't very hungry this evening after such a big lunch but tasted the Vegusto cheese and was wowed! I keep going back to the fridge to get a bit more, I can't stop eating it! I've been vegan most of my life so can't really remember what non-vegan cheese tastes like, but this is mild, creamy and delicious. Definitely the best vegan cheese I have ever tasted. It is soya free (I don't mind soya products but this really does taste good!). Fat content is 19%. Does anyone know if it is sold in the UK? I'm only in Paris until the end of June and want to eat this stuff forever! I only bought the "classic" flavour as I didn't realise it would be this good and don't normally eat much "cheese", but it also came in mild, spicy, herb and walnut variations. Must get back to Loving Hut asap for some more!
    Live and let live

i've recently become a vegan and as someone who remembers what real cheese tastes like...i'm not impressed by daiya. we bought some due to the great reviews and made a pizza (with the mozzarella shreds) and i thought it tasted quite funny. JMO.

Quote livingfree View Post
    i've recently become a vega and as someone who remembers what real cheese tastes like...i'm not impressed by daiya. we bought some due to the great reviews and made a pizza (with the mozzarella shreds) and i thought it tasted quite funny. JMO.
    That doesn't bode well!!!
    I've been Vegan 3 years and can still remember what cheese tastes like.
    I don't really like Cheezly unless its a flavoured version (I.E Nacho, with Fake Bacon Bits) or in quiche/on pizza, I do like the strongly flavoured Sheese's and the tofutti cream cheese - they are very nice maybe you could try them?

I'm quite looking forward to trying Vegusto http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...?28174-Vegusto

Selkie

New vegan here, and I absolutely adore Daiya! Possibly even more than real cheese (with possibly the exception of goat cheese - that was definitely a weakness for me). My husband is an omnivore still, but even he likes Daiya as well! I've made some pizza, and mac n' cheese using this, as well as grilled cheese sandwiches (all 3 of which he loves, and he's quite happy to eat the daiya in place of real cheese).

Quote livingfree View Post
    i've recently become a vegan and as someone who remembers what real cheese tastes like...i'm not impressed by daiya. we bought some due to the great reviews and made a pizza (with the mozzarella shreds) and i thought it tasted quite funny. JMO.
    I feel the same. I tried making spaghetti and putting in the mozzarella and I thought it made the entire dish taste very strange.. I also tried chili and baked potatoes with the cheddar and wasn't pleased with the results. My boyfriend doesn't seem to mind it, but he doesn't really love it.

It is so annoying that we still can't buy this Daiya cheese over here....................what's the big secret with it? If it's so good surely they would be distributing it across the world by now? I mean, it's been on the go for over 2 years now.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    It is so annoying that we still can't buy this Daiya cheese over here....................what's the big secret with it? If it's so good surely they would be distributing it across the world by now? I mean, it's been on the go for over 2 years now.
    Agreed! It seems to be something which divides opinion - just like most Vegan cheeses. Some folk like them, others don't. I personally think Blue Scheese is pretty good but some others hate it. I'm sure Daiya is the same but it would be nice to try it.
    “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

I just re-read my last post and it really sounds as if I'm ranting!
    I wasn't though, I was just wondering why it's still not available over here.............it just came across as a rant.

I agree Lastx.............it would be nice to try it!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

RubyDuby

Hey, we don't have cheesly or scheese over here, so neener neener on the Daiya.

Dont try and pull that one Ruby, you can get Scheese - Both veganstore vegan essentials and veganessentials stock it!