Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Daiya cheese

Default Re: Daiya cheese

its true. lol
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Hey, we don't have cheesly or scheese over here, so neener neener on the Daiya.
    I tried to post a 'grinning face' here but it wouldn't let me so I'll have to make do with this one

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Dont try and pull that one Ruby, you can get Scheese - Both veganstore vegan essentials and veganessentials stock it!
    Come to think of it .................do they ship stuff like that to other places though. I remember when I tried to order food stuff from England and they wouldn't ship it, and there's only the Irish Sea between us and them.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

i think its cause its very difficult to keep things cold. with vegan essentials if you order perishable food you have to have it shipped 2 day.

Quote sandra View Post
    Come to think of it .................do they ship stuff like that to other places though. I remember when I tried to order food stuff from England and they wouldn't ship it, and there's only the Irish Sea between us and them.
    These are american based stores

RubyDuby

oh, I didn't know that! Still can't get cheesly though. 1:1
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

RubyDuby

ps: scheese sounds delicious!

RubyDuby

I tried to order 1 blue sheese and 1 soft cheddar... you have to buy a freeze pack and 2 day shipping ($24.99) for a pre-taxed total of $45.23.

Yeah, we can't get Sheese here.

Default Re: Daiya cheeses!

Maybe euro vegans should get organized and import a refrigirated container of Daiya and then distribute it further to hubs in all countries. Cheaper by numbers and stuff.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I tried to order 1 blue sheese and 1 soft cheddar... you have to buy a freeze pack and 2 day shipping ($24.99) for a pre-taxed total of $45.23.

Yeah, we can't get Sheese here.
    That stinks Ruby, I love some of the Sheese and Cheezly flavours (especially cheddar with bacon bits).

Vegusto no-muh is really good as well - I'm guessing you cant get that either

I guess there are advantages to living in the UK after all - though your Orea's are vegan and you can get Tofurkey. So I think overall were even!

I thought Scheese was made in Scotland? (I'm confused!)
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I think sheese is made in Scotland but there is an American and a UK Vegan store. I think the American one must import it in large refrigerated quantities?

I'm in Canada and ordered Daiya cheese online a few times. I was so happy last weekend when I found they sold it in Loblaws! I was really missing my cheezly which I always ate in the UK and the other cheesy options here in Canada are pretty disgusting. I've never been a fan of Scheese though.

I have been in touch with Redwoods about the availability of Cheezly in the US and Canada and got this response:
    " Hello

Unfortunately our distributor stopped importing our products, but the good news is we are just about to arrange our first shipment to our new distributor vegan essentials. We are also in talks with a distributor for Canada so watch this space.

www.veganessentials.com

The shipment should be with them in the next few weeks, so either contact direct or keep an eye on their website so you know when they have it available.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Lee"

RubyDuby

neato! gracias

I got Daiya for the first time and I couldn't get it to melt in the oven!!!! Maybe its because it was mixed with pasta? How does everyone get it to melt? I ended up throwing the thing in the microwave for a few minutes and that helped....

When I made pasta with it (baked ziti) it needed to be mixed up a bit to melt completely, but it did melt. Pizzas I've made in the oven seem to do fine, although maybe not quite as melty as a normal cheese. Things cooked on the stove such as quasadillas worked great.

I think things maybe just need very lengthy cooking times or else some stirring to help break it down.l
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I did stir it! I pretty much made a baked ziti. weird.... it did melt in the microwave though, and i'm pretty sure on the stove top will be pretty good. Its almost like it needs direct heat, and thats why the microwave works, because it heats from the inside out. I still liked it though. Only it does need to be melted, raw it tastes very strange, and its probably the most expensive kind of "cheese" i've gotten, it was 5 bucks for I think and 8 oz bag...I got the cheddar one and the mozzerella. Have only tried the Moz so far. I also found a vegan blue cheese that was REALLY good on a salad. I can't remember what it was called but i'll make sure to post about it.

Okay, microwave is the WAY to go. YUMMMMMM!!!!! but its SOOOOO expensive!!!! reminds me of the cheese of the old..... okay so the vegan bleu cheese mmade by vegcuisine, they also have feta...

I am very tempted to order some Daiya from veganessentials...if anyone is in the UK (Liverpool, North West) and interested in sharing postage costs - let me know.

Someone said it still has an off-taste but it ca't get worse than tofutti, cheezley and sheese....I tried all of them and they are yuck! I haven't found anything else yet.
    The only cheese I personally like is tofuttis cream "cheese" with garlic (a lot!) and herbs. That's about the closest to the real thing as it gets. I will also try to get Mattas and Windmill here in Liverpool
    to order it, if they are interested

The only thing about shipping Daiya is this:

. This item should only be shipped inside the USA, as delivery outside the USA normally takes too long to ensure proper freshness. If you wish to ship this item outside the USA, please email us at questions@veganessentials.com to discuss expedited shipping options. Any orders for this item sent outside the USA are done so at your own risk, and by checking the box at top, you accept all responsibility for sending this item outside the USA at your own risk.

But planes are pretty cold, I can't see this being a huge problem...

It's available as 5lb in bulk so whoever wants to share

You Americans are so greedy. Stop keeping all the good vegan stuff to yourselves.

I've had Daiya in the States and brought some home after my last visit - I've had it on pizza and in pasta and frankly I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Have you tried Vegusto thegreenjudy? I really like it, especially the walnut one. I've given it to omni friends who didn't realise it was vegan cheese.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I had Daiya in this macaroni & cheese, I quite liked it but that could of been because it was in a product flavoured with other things

OMG I am a new vegan and this cheese has allowed me to give up real cheese completely. I live in the Washington DC Metropolitan area so I can easily find the cheese at Wegman's and Whole Foods. Also, Wegmans has a vegan cheese pizza made by Tofurky that is to die for. My daughter and I just add meatless pepperoni and I am looking forward to making a veggie version with black olives and onions. I used it for Mother's Day to put in our tofu scrambles. It was simply delicious. Coming from a committed meat eater (I did Atkins for years to lose weight), this is a great testimonial.

Daiya is pretty damn awesome. TPerry1982, have you tried making your own homemade pizza? The dough could be a little tricky, especially if you use a yeast raised dough but it's great. There's a pizza place here that uses the daiya cheese called Mellow Mushroom and they make a pizza dough with spring water, combined with daiya it makes crazy good pizza. Also great for calzones, you can make them with the same dough just wrap it around the filling.

Here in Orlando where I am even the Publix started carrying it, it's nice seeing things like this easily accessible.

Even though I have been vegan for a few years, I finally tried Daiya for the first time a month or so ago. I tried the chedder wedges first. OMG it was sooo good! I had a craving for a grilled cheese sandwich and this really hit the spot. it melted very well and tasted quite authentic (I found daiya products at a local whole foods coop). Last week I made a vegan pizza on pita bread and used the daiya mozerella shreds. It did have an off taste when I tasted it right out of the package, but after sprinkling it on the pizza and cooking it, it tasted wonderful. No complaints here, except that it is expensive. I don't plan to use it more than once a month though. It works when cravings hit.

Default Re: daiya

I made Tofu scambles for Mother's Day brunch and I put Daiya shredded cheese in it. It melted like a dream and was delicious. I did not even miss the scambled eggs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote livingfree View Post
    i've recently become a vegan and as someone who remembers what real cheese tastes like...i'm not impressed by daiya. we bought some due to the great reviews and made a pizza (with the mozzarella shreds) and i thought it tasted quite funny. JMO.
    I just became vegan a few weeks ago and I definitely remember what cheese tastes like since I would buy it by the block and eat it all day at work. This cheese tastes great to me. The Tofurky vegan cheese pizza is very good. My daughter made a grilled cheese sandwich with it and she loved it. Also, a all vegan restaurant we go to makes the best mac and cheese and lasagna with it. I am truly surprised.

While I am still going to miss bleu cheese and feta, I can live with this.

No haven't tried homemade yet. My daughter used to make homemade pizzas before with pre-made crusts that she checked to ensure they were vegan. She stopped when she couldn't use cheese anymore. Now with the Daiya, she may go back to making her own but with the Tofurky pizza, there really is no need now.

As far as Mozzarella goes, there is one called Vegan Gourmet Shreds by Follow your Heart that is soo much better than the Daiya Mozzarella.

http://followyourheart.com/products/...lla-shreds-27/