Thread: Hello! Can anyone help me remember a cookery book?

Default Hello! Can anyone help me remember a cookery book?

Hi Everyone,

I hope I'm in the right place. Forums are new to me and are a bit baffling! I've just spent many hours (they go by so quickly!) reading through old posts and found it so fascinating that I thought I'd give it a go.

My main question at the moment is can anyone help me remember what my long-lost vegan cookery book was called? I lent it to someone not long after I received it and never got it back. It was in the 1990s and was written by a real foodie man who you might not expect to write a vegan cook book. I think he wrote for the Guardian but I don't think it was Nigel Slater. It had really exciting gourmet kinds of recipes and I never got to try them out. I don't think it had vegan in title and might have had the word 'green' in? The book was a small paperback and had a contemporary, fresh look about it.

I'm unsure about all of these vague details but I'd be really happy if it rings a bell with anyone!
    Last edited by Jennie; Aug 22nd, 2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling!

Default Re: Hello! Can anyone help me remember a cookery book?

Colin Spencer? This book is a bit like the one you describe if I remember correctly - I think I may even have a copy somewhere but I'm not sure

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Gastro.../dp/0747522987

That sounds like a really good book harpy - thanks for the link. Might buy a copy myself!

(Welcome to the forum Jennie! )

Yes, sorry, Jennie, forgot to say welcome in my enthusiasm to get in first with the answer

I think it is a nice book Est - I seem to remember it might involve quite a lot of soy cream, if people mind that, but there again I might be thinking of another book!

Yes! Thank you so much Harpy, I can stop agonizing now. I'm amazed at how quickly I got an answer. I hope the recipes are as nice as I remember cos as I said I never got to try them out.

Thank you Est too for the welcome.

Let us know what you think if you try it, Jennie. I did actually spot mine in the cookery book cupboard but it's at the bottom of a rather unsteady looking pile so I will have to excavate it when I've got some time .

A friend used to cook from it quite a lot and the stuff was nice, and not too long-winded to make - not too many ingredients I think.

I've just ordered it from Amazon! I'll post if I try out anything yummy.

helen105281

The book looks great, may have to add it to my ever growing collection of vegan cook books. Welcome to the forum Jennie.

Hi Helen,
    thank you. I know what you mean about collecting vegan cook books. To decide if I'm going to buy one I always flick through the dessert section! I hardly ever actually use them though! Mainly just for dinner parties. Have fun trying it out if you decide to get it.

helen105281

Thanks Jennie, I will do. Sometimes I just love sitting flicking through them, how sad am I. Usually I decide to make something and then realise we don't have all of the ingredients

I'd never heard of it, thought I'd search for it on ebay - found it for £1.99 plus 99p p&p. so snapped it up!

Not too high a price to pay if I find I don't like it, and you can never have too many cookery books!

[QUOTE=Jennie;598909]

I lent it to someone not long after I received it and never got it back.

that has happened to me so many times i think im down to just a couple of vegan cook books!! so i started just getting books from the library but they are a bit limited with their choices
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Isn't it great to find a bargain Trow! Hope you enjoy the book.

Genisis- It's happened to me a couple of other times too, and always seems to be that book with the perfect recipe that can't be found anywhere else! I'm sure if I hadn't lost the books I'd hardly give them a second thought

I hadn't thought of the library! I use it for other things but never look there for cookery books. I think it's because cookery books are amongst the few books I like to keep. If I've enjoyed a novel I usually try to pass it on so someone else can enjoy too. I've only just discovered this forum but have found some great recipes here too. Looking forward to trying out Cherry's recipe for Millionaire's shortbread.

I volunteer to be the taste tester! A thankless task but someone has to do it...!

Stick some in the post to me, okay?

That's a very kind and selfless offer Est, I'd gladly send you a slice! I'm sure I couldn't ever possibly eat the whole tray on my own !!

Hehe! I definitely could eat the whole tray!

The tragedy of my life is that I don't seem to be able to bake It could be my oven, but everything burns or undercooks, or just doesn't taste right, despite following the recipe instructions exactly. I even invested in an oven thermometer, but to no avail

So my new role as your chief taste tester will cheer me up no end! I think I'll send you my copy of "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World" (the pictures are LUSH) so you can start practising LOL

Poor you Have you got a nice friend with a working oven so you can go and experiment and play?
    Seems like you've sorted out my raison d'etre for me! I think my friend has that cupcake book, looks like it's full of yumminess.

Quote Est View Post
    The tragedy of my life is that I don't seem to be able to bake
    snap!

....crackle & flop.

Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.