Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: i love co-op

Default i love co-op

so my local somerfield has been turned into a midcounties co-op OMG i love it,
    wondering round cause its not really that big but crikey so many vegan goodies crusty cobs, bread, cereals, pasta sauces, pasta, stirfry sauces, rice, shampoo, shower gels, pop,washing up liquid, powder, conditioner, some freezer stuff i LOVE it why cant other supermarkets label their stuff or even bother to not put animal ingredients in stuff, im so excited to have it local to me have read that they do a toothpaste aswell but they havnt got that yet but they still have to get rid of somerfield stuff first finally dont have to keep going up town for h&b

Default Re: i love co-op

my local co-op isn't very good - not much vegan stuff - and some of the stuff is quite pricey. if local shops want to keep local trade from large supermarkets, they should be more flexible in their pricing imo.

prices are important for me at the moment.

Our local Somerfield seems to have started mutating into a Co-op (at last) with some Co-op branded stuff appearing on the shelves, but so far I haven't seen any of the stuff I would find especially useful (e.g. wines labelled vegan, as well as what you have mentioned mchelle). Think I'd better send them an e-mail so we don't end up with one like cedar's...

I wouldn't necessarily expect the prices to be rock-bottom in our one unfortunately, as it's more of a convenience store than a competitor to the major supermarkets, and probably trades on the fact that it's open late and so on.

i forgot biscuits its good pricing at one by me lots of stuff less than pound there will be more competition soon as theres a sainsburys they have had more offers since the co-op came and by christmas this year were having a aldi right by sainsburys

Thumbs up Re: i love co-op

Love love co op. I got so excited when I found crusty rolls(I have so missed crusty rolls). The toothpaste is 54p for 100ml tube I have yet to find the whitening one that they do.

i keep going in practically everyday i know what you mean about the crusty cobs i love them to i keep buying them and the crusty loaf yum they havnt got the toothpaste yet i hope they do will save me loads in h&b its like £3 or something like that didnt think i be so excited to go in a shop but when i see vegan i feel like going YAHOOOOOO

helen105281

Quote suzanne View Post
    Love love co op. I got so excited when I found crusty rolls(I have so missed crusty rolls). The toothpaste is 54p for 100ml tube I have yet to find the whitening one that they do.
    The whitening one is great, let us know if you need us to pick you any up. We last got it in Cambridge but they may do it in Stotfold too

I can get the whitening one from my local co op, and it's fairly rural and not such a big one. That said though, it seems to have failed in whitening my teeth, and I've been using it for 2 months now.

phact0rri

I was addicted to the local coop when I lived in the South United States. Course haven't found a good one I really like around here yet. Lots of Farmer's markets though.

Hurrah! That's good to hear it's all finally happening with the old Somerfield's turning in to Co-ops! I LOVE Co-op, too. We have many different branches around here. Not only do they have great labelling for vegans, but I love that they also put on all their tins and stuff the country of origin of the food.

(News article from last year about Co-op buying Somerfield.)
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

went in again today no toothpaste still just filled with colegate so im hoping they will stock their own soon do they do a mouthwash or not ??? but bonus was got a litre bottle of shandy having it now its yum

Yes, co-op sell 3 vegan mouthwashes, cheap too. The blue standard one tastes the best.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

o great they still have somerfields mouthwash at mo so fingers crossed they be gone soon

Senza

Does anyone else have vegan garlic bread in their co-ops? I remember when i was in leeds, the garlic bread was vegan but in my local one, both garlic breads have butter and milk in them (the 'italian' own brand, and standard/low-fat(?) one).

I like co-ops vegetable soap as well. Although my local shop always takes forever to re-stock on toiletries.

The big somerfield near me is turning into a Waitrose instead of a giant co-op though But i don't know how good Waitrose are vegan-wise, so it might be a good thing i guess..

at the weekend my wife was shopping at co-op and usually picks up fresh donots, fresh apple pies and fresh cooked bagettes (the stuff they usually do daily), however noticed that the packet no longer had ingrediants or suitable for vegan on label. she complained about this at the time and the staff were very good and recorded her concerns about the labelling. I came in from work tonight and there was a message of answer machine from manager apolgising and has told us when next in the store to ask fo rher or one of the supervisors who will give us a copy of the ingrediants sheets that they use in the production section so we can check ourseleves. i know this is not an answers for everyone and changes to labelling but does show that the co-op take complaints on board unlike other stores. don't know if will get labels changed back but if enough people ask it may.

That reminds me when I emailed the co op about their value UHT soymilk.
    It only said vegetarian on it, so I emailed and double checked and they said the label would be rectified at the next chance, hopefully they'll be true to their word !

the baguettes by me are labelled vegan but the crusty cobs arent ?? i checked the labels on both and they were the same the donuts not labelled either i read somewhere that they were but never know whether to have them if they not labelled vegan,

Quote mchelle81 View Post
    the baguettes by me are labelled vegan but the crusty cobs arent ?? i checked the labels on both and they were the same the donuts not labelled either i read somewhere that they were but never know whether to have them if they not labelled vegan,
    ts

this is simialar to me and as i said my wife spoke to staff and they arranged for the ingrediants sheet for us, so may be worth asking for it next time your in store.

do you buy the stuff that doesnt say vegan or do you just get the ones that are labelled as ok im sure the baguettes and crusty cobs are the same ingredients but one is labelled one isnt ??

is their simply value gravy vegan its always empty when i go so cant check ? has anyone got the membership card when you earn points what are they for like sainsburys you can use them in the shop or not ?

I spoke to a helpful member of staff this morning in Somerfield and she said the stuff is now starting to come in and Somerfield should be fully refitted and officially look like a coop across the Somerfield stores by April 2010 or sooner in some areas.

At last :0)
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

i'm confused about this too. i finally found the doughnuts but wasn't sure as there were no ingredients, no vegan marking but an allergen list stating what it may contain - including milk and egg. CONFUSED!

is their simply value gravy vegan its always empty when i go so cant check ? has anyone got the membership card when you earn points what are they for like sainsburys you can use them in the shop or not ?
    We have the membership card. basically whenever you buy stuff from the co op, you give them the card before the items are scanned and you earn points. Then at intervals you recieve vouchers. You can either spend this in store, or cash them into a co op account, which kinda works like a bank account, you put in points, and can take out cash whenever you want.

We currently have £900 of saved co op points

ooohhh they finally have the toothpaste yay 48p woo hoo and they had a label for the mouthwash but it was empty hopefully it be there tomorrow. i found the simply value gravy its not even labelled vegetarian or anything so i didnt get it im loving it more and more each time i go, although they have all the good stuff salted nuts, dry roasted nut, digestive biscuits, rich tea biscuits,, ill be fat soon i cant help myself. wow 900 points i keep goin in everyday i have 110 points at mo at the rate im going ill have loads couldnt have a job in there would spend all me wages

Your branch seems to be converting faster than ours, mchelle.

I wrote them a little note requesting more vegan and fairtrade stuff in ours and got one back ignoring all the rest but noting my request for vegan wine. Still, I suppose they spotted the essential point!

it has been done fast its only been about 3 weeks and they have most of the somerfield stuff on sale or its just gone so soon it will be just co-op i love it

Here's the story on how Somerfield is turning into Co-op:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7508982.stm

At our co-op today I found various vegan goodies which I thought worthy of comment:

large tin custard powder 76 p;
    tin ratatoille provecale 62 p;
    large wholemeal loaf 75 p;
    2 kinds of sharwoods microwaveable noodles £1.00 each;
    blue dragon dried noodles 41 p;
    thick bleach multisave 50 p each;
    shower gel and shower cream multisave 75 pence each;
    Durham Foods peas pudding 49 p.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Somerfield was never worth £1.57bn! They got ripped off

cobweb

its weird, we had a Somerfield here but Tesco bought it last year. We have a fairly small Co-op who were apparently outbid by Tesco, yet rumour has it that Tesco are negotiating with Co-op now to sell it on to them
    very confusing

Quote cedarblue View Post
    my local co-op isn't very good - not much vegan stuff - and some of the stuff is quite pricey. if local shops want to keep local trade from large supermarkets, they should be more flexible in their pricing imo.

prices are important for me at the moment.

i must say they have poppadums at half price at my local at the moment (50p for 8) - thats good because saturday is usually curry night round here!

so do I !! I actually sent them an email saying how cool it was to find things labeled as vegan and such, I also suggested to change recipes on their products (if they can make vegan iced buns and pecan pastries, surely they can make anything vegan!). I encourage people on this forum to follow suit!

customer.relations@co-op.co.uk

how many iced buns do you get in a packet that are vegan the only ones in shop by me have about 6 in i think and they have milk and egg in them i love iced buns which of the donuts are vegan in mine its got custard filled ones and ones with jam in but neither are labelled vegan

Quote veganese View Post
    so do I !! I actually sent them an email saying how cool it was to find things labeled as vegan and such, I also suggested to change recipes on their products (if they can make vegan iced buns and pecan pastries, surely they can make anything vegan!). I encourage people on this forum to follow suit!

customer.relations@co-op.co.uk
    Agreed. It's very important to raise the profile of vegans, which also means telling companies when they are doing the right thing as well as the wrong thing.

You catch more flies with Agave syrup than you do with vinegar.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

which of the donuts are vegan in mine its got custard filled ones and ones with jam in but neither are labelled vegan
    Neither of them.

Co-op apparently (i think someone posted confirmation of this) only label jam donuts as vegan which have been baked at their central bakery. Ones that have been cooked instore aren't labelled vegan.

I've seen some co-ops with vegan labelled ones, some without.

I was also wondering if the raspberry and custard donuts were vegan (judging by the ingridients, there were clearly vegan). They told me they were not labeled as vegan 'cos of allergies... in other words, if they labelled them as vegan, and then a person who has a very strong allergy to milk or eggs,etc.. eats them. that customer could prosecute the company.. The donuts are made in a bakery where animal defecations are handled.. and therefore they prefer to ignore the labeling if they are unsure about crosscontamination in the slightest. Check out some of the orange juices... they even mention why it isn't vegan!

we talked about the doughnuts in another thread, can't remember which one though. Co-op told me that they've stopped labelling their doughnuts as vegan because of cross-contamination, but they're still vegan ingredients-wise.

the iced buns we get round here come in packs of 5 and have pink icing and jam in the middle.

Co-op sold off a large superstore near me to Morrisons recently. they also sold off a Somerfield store in Brighton to Morrisons.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote veganese View Post
    I was also wondering if the raspberry and custard donuts were vegan (judging by the ingridients, there were clearly vegan).
    I checked the ingredients of the jam ones at the weekend in a store that cooks themselves and it said they contain wheat and gluten. The custard ones looked decidedly non vegan though.

[QUOTE

the iced buns we get round here come in packs of 5 and have pink icing and jam in the middle.
    .[/QUOTE]

aaaah the ones by me are just icing no jam oh how disapointing,
    so the donuts are ok then ? i keep looking at the custard ones literally dribbling i LOVE donuts

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I checked the ingredients of the jam ones at the weekend in a store that cooks themselves and it said they contain wheat and gluten. The custard ones looked decidedly non vegan though.
    why not? the ones we get here are still vegan as far as i can tell.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

you have custard donuts, labelled vegan? The ones I've seen have had dairy in them.

I'm mucho confusedo

^ they used to be labelled vegan, but as i said earlier Co-op told me they're not labelling them vegan any more. however, the ingredients are still the same.

perhaps they are selling vegan ones down here and non-vegan ones in other parts of the country (which would seem odd but could happen with different suppliers or something), or perhaps they've changed the recipe recently to include dairy and i haven't seen them locally since then.

aaaah the ones by me are just icing no jam oh how disappointing
    I've also see packs of two larger white iced buns (no jam) labelled vegan.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    you have custard donuts, labelled vegan? The ones I've seen have had dairy in them.
    i looked in a local branch of Co-op today and the custard doughnuts in there definitely didn't have any dairy in them.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i looked in a local branch of Co-op today and the custard doughnuts in there definitely didn't have any dairy in them.
    OMG CoOp custard donuts are vegan. *goes all giddy at the thought*

check the ingredients though as it seems they're not vegan in all parts of the country.

Hurrah, we have got some more Co-op stuff in our (Putney) Somerfield now, including chilled soup labeled vegan. (Still no Co-op wine, but hope springs eternal).

Quote Gorilla View Post
    If I wasn't on a diet I'd drive to one this evening

Mine is only 2 minutes' walk away, so I hope that they don't get the doughnuts, on the (w)hole.

daveshorty

Has anyone else noticed that Co-op have stopped marking their jam doughnuts as suitable for vegetarians and vegans?
    I fear the worst...

Are pecan pastries really vegan (as said in a earlier post)
    I do hope so I used to love those.