Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: i love co-op

Default Re: i love co-op

Co-op have stopped some of their vegan labelling due to cross contamination issues.
    I would assume the recipes have not changed.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Gah, the Coops around here don't even list the ingredients! I thought they legally had to, I must be wrong. All they put on the bakery style doughnuts is some line about may contain and a list of about every possible allergen. Rubbish. I haven't yet summoned the energy to ask any of the staff, last time I asked about something I got told chicken is vegetarian becuase the packet said grain fed

^ My local is the same, if they're baked in store they don't list the ingredients.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Popped into CO-OP today. Was looking through the special foods section type thing. You know, Gluten Free, Wheat Free..etc.

Got excited when I saw some non dairy chocolate lollies.

But on the packaging, in big writing it says: FOR ALLERGY SUFFERERS

I think that's a bit lame. Doesn't it occur to the manufacturers that there's people in this world who don't eat dairy and egg, out of choice?!

Oh well...

Co-op is currently taking over Southampton. I live a 10 minute walk from my work and go past three on my walk in. I went on a train today and the spar by the station is now a co-op too. Although its kinda bad in a 'lets call in the competition commission/unfair market domination' way, it does mean I am never more than a few minutes walk away from a vegan pineapple jelly

Quote daveshorty View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that Co-op have stopped marking their jam doughnuts as suitable for vegetarians and vegans?
    I fear the worst...
    there's another Co-op thread here which has already been over this issue on the last few pages.
    Last edited by Gorilla; Oct 21st, 2009 at 04:19 PM.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

my co-op is rubbish, really small and i've never seen anything vegan in there :-(

Yesterday in Newgate Street Co-op I noticed the baker filling up the shelf with donuts.
    I asked why I had not seen them for ages and she said they baked them every day... maybe they sell fast?
    So I bought a bag of the custard ones, which I have never tried before.

they sell fast in my co-op aswell sometimes i have gone in few times and theres been none the custard ones are nice my only gripe with them is they need more sugar on outside like jam ones i havnt had any for a while talking bout them is makin me want some

In Long Stratton, just south of Norwich we have a Solar co-op which is fantastic! Not only does it stock all the usual well labeled vegan fare but also has an isle dedicated to whole foods and special diet goods. For example I can buy Plamil mayo and chocolate, Linda sausages and pies, all the Granose goods, Kalloo choc rice cakes, kiddies organic cereals and well labeled wines.

i LOVE them kallo chocolate rice cakes

I work in the Co-op. So I can tell you anything you need to know! All the in-store bakery breads are ok. I know the rolls aren't labelled as such but they are. The apple pies, jam and custard donuts are also vegan, they used to be labelled but they aren't anymore. The ingredients didn't change though. The apple pies are ok too.

Someone mentioned the maple pecan plaits? They are not vegan in the slightest. Another one that noone seems to have mentioned yet is the fruit shortcake biscuits! They are awesome! I was so pleased when I read the packet, I bought some straight away but be warned - they are seriously addictive - and I ate the whole packet in about half an hour. I don't trust myself around them anymore.

Welcome to the forum LinzyLoo and thank you for the information, that is really helpful, am gutted about the pecan maple plaits though

cobweb

hi LinzyLoo its great that you're here and able to answer questions, thanks!

ok i have a packet of them short cake biscuits i didnt buy them before because they were just labelled vegetarian linzyloo im scared to open them incase i eat them all LOL

cobweb

LinzyLoo are the 'Nice' biscuits ok?. They used to be labelled 'vegan' but aren't now, though i think the ingredients are the same?

This thread made me go into Co-op instead of Tesco this morning . I got 3 bags of stuff for £41 and was quite chuffed. I got 5kg of potatoes absolutely free because they were just past their date, same with a loaf of Hovis bread. I got 2 dishwasher tabs on a bogof deal, and Linda McCartney Pies which Tesco don't have. I must remember to go in more often! .
    Only trouble is i did buy doughnuts .

U GOT DONUTS !!!!! that is not fair my co-op has moved all the donuts and replaced them with xmas cakes
    i did see something else that annoyed me this morning they had their xmas party food stuff 3 for £5 the usual onion bargies samosas ect then i saw jalepenos in cream cheese SUITABLE FOR VEGANS ?? read label and they not
    and im going to sound really thick now but what apple pies am for vegans are they the big ones ? i read ingredients but said magarine is that ok for us i put it back incase
    Last edited by mchelle81; Nov 4th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

helen105281

Quote suzanne View Post
    Welcome to the forum LinzyLoo and thank you for the information, that is really helpful, am gutted about the pecan maple plaits though
    Noooo you really wanted them to be vegan too.

I knowwww, I remember the maple pecan things from when I was veggie - they are awesome. I used to get to eat all the leftover bakery stuff at the end of the night

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Cobweb - I'm not sure about the Nice biscuits as my particular shop doesn't sell them.

mchelle81 - The apple pies are the ones which are baked in-store with cheapy plastic bag and a bakery sticker. And I know, the jalapeno things!! I spotted them in someone's basket and was over the moon for about 2 minutes til I ran over to the freezer and checked the label - it must have just been a mistake

Oh, but another vegan bakery thing! The puff pastry mince pies!! I bought a bunch of frozen ones to bake myself at home, yum.

BlackCats

Quote mchelle81 View Post
    then i saw jalepenos in cream cheese SUITABLE FOR VEGANS ?? read label and they not
    I would be so pleased to see those things veganised, I used to love them in restaurants when I was veggie.

Hello LinzyLoo by the way. We will all come to you to ask for your advice on Co-op.

i know i love them i nealy forgot to open the door i was so excited to see them but then was gutted when read them
    so the margarine is ok in the apple pies then god all these goodies im getting ill be the size of a house PMSL

Hello LinzyLoo. Can you tell us about how they are baked in store? Are the donuts fried and if so what else is cooked in the same oil?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Hey Mr Flibble! No they aren't fried, they are baked in the oven. Everything is baked in the same oven but on different trays - there isn't much chance of cross-contamination as rubbery mats are used for each product and tend to be just used once and then washed (or flipped over if I'm feeling lazy )

Damn. I really don't need more sugary food to eat right now

Thanks for your answer

yay we have donuts back in the shop thank goodness but i put them back and got the apple pie instead im so excited i love apple pie will top it off with custard YUM

went in co-op today and i saw 4 apple lattice things looked at them went to look away saw vegan had to have them omg they are fantasticly good all these fantastic things to have is great

Lizzyloo: Are the minced pies definately vegan? Which brands do I have to ask for to get vegan mincepies?

Also are any of the indian snacks suitable for vegan?
    Does co op sell any humous? Linda Mcartney sausage rolls? vegan margarine?

I'm deafblind so checking the ingredience is out of the question for me so I'd be very greatful for whatever advice I get on this issue.

Especially since I've just learnt the route to the co op nearest to me.

Helene

Hi dreama, I have replied about the hummous on the other thread, but wanted to add that I've found Linda McCartney sausages in even the small co-ops. I have not come across the Linda McCartney sausage rolls though. Larger co-ops stock Alpro Soya milk, but I have never found vegan margerine, not even Vitalite. Your local co-op might have a better range though!

the co-op by me has vitalite i have switched to that from pure not too good in freezer bit though its very tiny for that i use my sainsburys they do the sausage rolls but i never buy them or i would just cook the whole box i love them

Thanks Est and Michelle.
    So is Vitalite suitable for vegan? I knew that pure is as that's the marge that I use but I didn't know about the other brand.

the vitalite i get has dairy free and suitable for vegans on the tub

Yes, I emailed Vitalite a few months ago and specifically asked them about the source of all the ingredients in it. They assured me it is suitable for vegans. It tastes really nice - very much like butter - but I think Pure is supposed to be healthier!

Quote dreama View Post
    Lizzyloo: Are the minced pies definately vegan? Which brands do I have to ask for to get vegan mincepies?

Also are any of the indian snacks suitable for vegan?
    Does co op sell any humous? Linda Mcartney sausage rolls? vegan margarine?

I'm deafblind so checking the ingredience is out of the question for me so I'd be very greatful for whatever advice I get on this issue.

Especially since I've just learnt the route to the co op nearest to me.

Helene
    The mince pies are the puff pastry loose ones on the bakery stand, that are baked in-store. The traditional boxed ones aren't vegan. In terms of indian snacks, there is actually a seasonal party food indian selection which has 3 types in it - can't remember what they are exactly, I think its onion bhajis, samosas and pakora - the whole box is vegan! And yeah there is houmous and reduced fat houmous, both of which are fine. My shop is only small so it doesn't have the Linda McCartney things but I have been in other Co-ops which do!

i bought the frozen Indian snacks but i didn't think much of them - very bland and too much chilli. the frozen veg spring rolls are good though.

my Co-op always runs out of everything they have on special offer - they had Alpro chilled soya milk on offer at 2 cartons for £2, but every time i checked they only ever had 1 left! they also had their eco-friendly dishwasher tablets on BOGOF - but they were completely sold out until the offer ended, when they suddenly had loads in stock
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i agree with you gorilla they are very dry i prefer sainsburys but i did like the spring rolls

I tried the bombay potatoes in the ready meals section, the sauce was very nice but I found the potatoes much too firm for my liking.
    Our co-op (Newgate Street) special offers sell fast too, maybe people read about them online and take advantage.

LizzyLoo:
    Thanks for getting back to me about this. So the loose mince pies are ok, but the box one's arn't? I'll have to get the party food box. Is it the same one that iceland used to sell? My dad used to get it for me but then they stopped selling it. He went to Joydi indian vegitarian restaurant to get me some indian snacks today. Please keep me posting if any of the items you listed stop being vegan?

helene

Quote dreama View Post
    LizzyLoo:
    Thanks for getting back to me about this. So the loose mince pies are ok, but the box one's arn't? I'll have to get the party food box. Is it the same one that iceland used to sell? My dad used to get it for me but then they stopped selling it. He went to Joydi indian vegitarian restaurant to get me some indian snacks today. Please keep me posting if any of the items you listed stop being vegan?

helene
    Yup, loose ones are fine (they are puff pastry and round) but prepacked ones arent, but it tells you that on the box anyway. If your local Co puts the puff pastry ones in bakery bags, they are just the same as the loose ones. We did this last year but nobody ever buys the mince pies, like, ever. Which is a shame coz they are tasty! Dunno about the indian selection, I've not tried them, but after reading what other people had to say about them I won't bother!

Of course I will keep everyone up to date on any ingredients changes. I consider it part of my role as co-op representative on the forum!

Thank you LinzyLoo

Hello, does anyone know if the stuff in the co-op bakery has changed of late? It's just that in my local one they used to label the apple pies etc. as "suitable for vegetarians and vegans" and now they do not mention this. I asked a member of staff who said she wasn't sure but I best avoid it to be safe incase they aren't suitable. I hope this isn't the case as I loved the apple pies and doughnuts!

^ it's been mentioned somewhere on the forum before. Co-op have stopped labelling their bakery products as suitable for vegetarians and vegans because of a risk of cross-contamination. as far as i know the ingredients are the same but if your store lists the ingredients on their bakery items i'd suggest you still read them in case they change the recipe at some point.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    my Co-op always runs out of everything they have on special offer - they had Alpro chilled soya milk on offer at 2 cartons for £2, but every time i checked they only ever had 1 left! they also had their eco-friendly dishwasher tablets on BOGOF - but they were completely sold out until the offer ended, when they suddenly had loads in stock
    I have this problem too, but i find that if i ask someone, they usually go and find me one. i think they have a bit of a shortage of staff to restock on a regular basis in my co-op... amanda

i bought a bag of Co-op peppermint creams today, they're only labelled vegetarian because of a 'may contain milk' statement, but the ingredients are vegan. the chocolate and sugar are Fairtrade. i've eaten too many now and feel sick.

I bought the mince pies, they are delish!!

unfortunately my local Co-op only has their boxed mince pies in stock which aren't vegan. at least i can get vegan ones elsewhere.

Quote mchelle81 View Post
    i did see something else that annoyed me this morning they had their xmas party food stuff 3 for £5 the usual onion bargies samosas ect then i saw jalepenos in cream cheese SUITABLE FOR VEGANS ?? read label and they not
    i saw a box of these in the freezer at my local store - bit of a silly mistake with the labelling!

Their fairtrade ones are labelled vegan

They aren't very nice though.

^ mince pies? i haven't seen any Fairtrade ones locally.

The very same. We have 2 boxes to get through.

my co-op doesn't have them either however, the sainsbury's basics ones are vegan, and i picked some up yesterday to try. they're not very deep, but the pastry was quite nice. good in a craving, anyway, though i shall be making my own next weekend i think. amanda

Oh dear. I have been back to the co-op and now have donuts and mince pies I am going to puting on lots of weight at this rate!!!