Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for birthdays and other parties

Default Re: party food

thanks for all the great suggestions!
    "Boy, I got a vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
    -- Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

Default Re: party food

About the rice syrup -- it's my recollection that it is fairly thick. Maple syrup will likely be looser. I would add the maple syrup a little at a time because it's likely you'll need less of it.

Default Engagement Party Menu

I am going to have 150 people at my engagement party - most of those who eat dead animals It is a lunch thing I am organising, so here is my menu - let me know if it is good for meat eating people...
    - Hummus
    - Baba Gannouj
    - White Bean "salmon" dip
    - Avocado dip
    - Tunisian Potato salad
    - Chickpea Salad
    - Mediterannean Pasta Salad
    - Falafel Balls
    - Grilled Polenta Wedges (made w/ parmazano)
    - Eggplant schnitzels
    - Pita Bread
    - Bagels
    - Chocolate Macadamia Cake
    - Tropical Mango & Pecan Cheesecake
    - Date & Pecan Cake

What do you all reckon????

Default Re: Engagement Party Menu

It sounds gorgeous, your guests are in for a treat. They get to celebrate with you and try something new and delicious!!! Have a wonderful time.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote stickydate
    I am going to have 150 people at my engagement party - most of those who eat dead animals It is a lunch thing I am organising, so here is my menu - let me know if it is good for meat eating people...
    - Hummus
    - Baba Gannouj
    - White Bean "salmon" dip
    - Avocado dip
    - Tunisian Potato salad
    - Chickpea Salad
    - Mediterannean Pasta Salad
    - Falafel Balls
    - Grilled Polenta Wedges (made w/ parmazano)
    - Eggplant schnitzels
    - Pita Bread
    - Bagels
    - Chocolate Macadamia Cake
    - Tropical Mango & Pecan Cheesecake
    - Date & Pecan Cake

What do you all reckon????
    wow what a selection. it looks to me like a nicer, more exciting, version of a family party buffet! where did you get the food from? make it? i want to have a vegan birthday buffet, but my mum refuses when we have meat-eating guests, despite the fact its my party!

tabitha

That looks absolutely gorgeous. Skajen - I reckon if you showed your mum that she would be so impressed she would let you have a similar selection at your birthday.

That looks yummy and very non threatening!

Some other non threatening vegan foods that are pretty simple are a fresh fruit salad, a raw veggie tray and a bowl of yummy mixed nuts. Not sure if that fits into your meal plan, but just thought I would mention it.

are you cooking for everyone or passing recipes to your family/friends catering company to fix? I hope you have help!

Can I have the chocolate macadamia cake recipe?

ConsciousCuisine

Stickydate, you've done a beautiful job planning the menu! I hope you have help with the cooking and _even better- can get someone to do it for you!

Wow, congratulations and enjoy shocking all those meaties with your yummy food!!

Skajen- why don't you take over all the food, then your Mum can't decide what gets eaten?

Default Vegan dinner party - suggestions?

me and a buddy are making some vegan food today! any sugegstions what to make? it should be a menu right?
    i have never made a real dinner before, i mean a dinner party, not even a regular party. i wanna invite some people to, but i dunno if they will be disgusted coz its vegan

what shud the menu be tho?!

Default Re: vegan "dinner party" tonight

Why not take a look at Cherry's site to get some ideas? She has some really good yet simple recipes on there. I wouldn't try anything to exotic or hard to make if I were you though.

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/

Ok, to share Cherry?????

Thank you Jane

Why don't you cook a few of your favourite recipes that you make for yourselves. Make the ones that you find the tastiest. Then your guests will hopefully fall in love with vegan food.

i like ur site Cherry
    yes i will certainly try and make my favourite recipes. but shouldnt it be like a 3 course meal? or at least dessert? i wanna make something italian i think. so does any dessert go with that?

I usually just make a cake for dessert. It doesnt take long to make either. The carrot cake on Cherrys website is easy and fast to make (except the cooking time). I think cake goes with anything and people usually wait for a while until they want to eat dessert anyway so it doesnt matter to much if it doesnt fit in with the other 2 courses.

Quote berta_the_aspie
    i wanna make something italian i think. so does any dessert go with that?
    Ice-cream! Do you have Swedish Glace or another vegan ice-cream where you are? Or did you want to make the dessert yourself?

Risotto is a nice dish to make and seems to go down well with non-vegans too. You could have bruscetta to start.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

tabitha

Ice cream definitely! You could serve it with fresh berries. If you had time you could make a cake as well. I had risotto at a restaurant the other day and it was fantastic! very easy to make but looks a bit sophisticated I think. I hope it goes well. cherrys website is absolutely fantastic by the way.

if you wanted to do courses i would think that italian would work well. you could start with a vegan antipasto tray, then maybe some minestrone soup or pasta a fagiole (pasta & bean) soup, and then a pasta for the main course with some italian ices for dessert. italian is something that everyone is used to and loves.
    i think it's more fun to have a dinner party that is served 'family style' instead of courses. you make 3 main dishes and serve them all at the same time and everyone can just pick at them and put what they want to on their plates. this works well with asian food. you could make a stirfry, a noodle dish, and maybe some steamed veggies, or whatever else you like and put it all on the table with a big bowl of rice and then serve a tray of fresh fruit for dessert with a pot of mint tea, or cocktails. chinese is another cuisine that most people, vegan or not, like equally.
    whatever you decide though don't work too hard because you don't want to be too tired to enjoy your own party. good luck.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

Things I serve with friends over -

Appetizers -
    samosas and chutneys
    guacamole and chips and maybe a salsa
    nice italian bread w/olive oil, basil, tomato salad (just throw them all together in a bowl with some garlic, or layer slices for a pretty effect)
    warm bread w/flavored olive oil for dipping
    mixed olives (except none of my friends like olives but me )

Salads
    green salad (put dressing on right before serving)
    potato salad (i call it greek potato salad, but add some ittalian herbs, use an ittalian olive and maybe some lemon juice and call it itallian) quarter and boil red potatoes, chill and mix in some grape tomatoes, kalmata olives (use a siciallian olive) and a bit of spinach for color. Then seperately, mix some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, cracked black pepper and garlic to taste, pour of potato mix, stir and chill)
    pasta salad (pesto, veggie, anything really! but fun shaped pastas.)
    veggie salad (sometimes I roast mixed peppers, or grill up some onions, mushrooms, broccoli, etc and mix with olive oil, garlic, or maybe also some balsamic vinegar)

Desserts
    I like to do a platter of fresh fruits and dark chocolate (just buy a few good bars and break into squares). also, you could do fruit salad - fruits you like, covered with a lime juice/syrup sauce (sugar syrup, agave necter, whatever you like)

Bushetta sounds lovely! As does italian ice, and all the other things people mentioned.

I like to stick to things I know I like, and really simple "rustic" recipes. And I agree that you should put it all out togher, don't worry about courses. The only exception being that if you have appetizers out when people get there, you can have some time in the kitchen to do the main course. Dessert could be later, but for the main courses, put them all out at once.

Your dinner's probably over by now, but still wanted to share my ideas. Hope it went well!

Default graduation party food suggestions

Hello all,

I will be having a graduation party to celebrate earning my master's degree at the end of the summer and I'm looking for food suggestions. I really have no idea what to serve - there will be anywhere from 40-65 people attending, the majority of whom are omnivores. Sadly, I'm the only vegan in my immediate social circle here. My parents will be springing for the party, so it's possible that I may not have to make all the food myself (providing that there is a vegan-friendly caterer in the vicinity). I'd appreciate any suggestions of vegan party food that omnivores and vegans alike might enjoy.

Thanks much!
    Tracy

Default Re: graduation party food suggestions

will it be buffet style or sit down? Or will you have those guys who carry trays around...what style is that?

The food will be buffet-style and the whole affair is pretty casual. Unfortunately, we don't have the budget for a fancy sit-down meal.

Also, the age range of people attending will vary widely. Most people will be other grad students (20s-30s) or professors (30+), but there will probably also be several professors' children, as well as older relatives of mine.

Quote TracyK
    The food will be buffet-style and the whole affair is pretty casual. Unfortunately, we don't have the budget for a fancy sit-down meal.

Also, the age range of people attending will vary widely. Most people will be other grad students (20s-30s) or professors (30+), but there will probably also be several professors' children, as well as older relatives of mine.
    Little pasties, like samosas (you can make a whole load and freeze them), salads made with grains, sandwiches, vegan mini pizzas, dips.. I think the list is endless if you decide on what kind of catering you want, and maybe a theme. Veggie spring rolls with filo pastry,,, If you give me some more info I'd gladly help with more suggestions. I'd pop over with my pinny on but Indiana is kind of far

dal and rice. 10 cents per person, easy to make huge batches. Perfect
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

i think it is always good to go with foods people are used to already, that just happen to be vegan.

chips and salsa
    guacamole and chips
    veggies and bean dips
    hummus and pita
    fruit salad
    potato salad (i always make one w/olive oil and vinegar, but I have heard veganize tastes just like mayo)
    pasta salad
    tabouli
    olives
    chips and dip - better than sour cream is pretty close to cow sour cream, maybe that would work with some onions, veggies chopped in
    bread and dipping oils
    samosas
    cake
    punch
    couscous
    roasted or grilled veggies
    walnut pate and crackers

Ok, so no main dish really...you could do veggie burgers on the grill? Or maybe a pan of spagetti and marinara? tofu and veggie kabobs? cheeseless pesto lasagna? roasted veggie risoto? veggie chili? build your own burrito? you could do lots of veggies and refried beans...

maybe a make your own sandwich area? allthough people I suppose will be opposed to meatless sandwiches...

sausage rolls
    sausage and silverskin onions on cocktail sticks
    mushroom vol-au-vents
    soft "cheese" and chive vol-au-vents
    soft "cheese" and red pepper vol-au-vents
    sweet and sour spring rolls
    chocolate chip muffins
    crispy mock-duck, cucumber, spring onion and plum sauce pancake rolls

I wanna come, now, if you are going to make even half of what has been suggested
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Default Party food - help needed

My parents are having a party/buffet thing on saturday so I need some ideas for some little party snacks for me to eat. Something that everyone else will think "oh they look great!!!" I have some samosas allready made, thought id make some little quiches (but dont know what filling to have!)

So some nice recipes would be great!! If there is allready a thread on this, kick me in the right direction
    (5/05/06)

Default Re: Party food- help needed

This one is the last I remember, and I think it has a link to a bigger one on it too

Mini pizzas! You can make them cheeseless and tell people it's the gourmet way to have mini pizzas (haha ).

Hummous with pita bread and vegetable sticks go over well too.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily
    Mini pizzas! You can make them cheeseless and tell people it's the gourmet way to have mini pizzas (haha ).
    LOL!

Sometimes I laugh when I see gourmet stuff that is actually vegan stuff...then I get mad that they are driving the price up of dirt cheap vegan foods!

Yea mini pizzas sound great, think ill definatly make those. I don't like hummous though, makes me feel sick =(
    (5/05/06)

A HUGE tray of nachos!!! Tortilla chips with refried beans, guacamole, salsa, black olives, and some meltable vegan cheddar if you can buy some near you, or Tofutti "sour cream". YUM

Everyone can dig in, or you can bring little plates and a serving spatula.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Buy vegan hot dogs (Smartdogs or Tofu Pups, for example). Cut into thirds. Buy crescent roll dough (check the label, bc some brands have dairy in them). And make "pigs-in-a-blanket". Serve on a platter with ketchup and mustard available.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

The chips sound good, but Ive never even seen vegan hotdogs before!! They don't even seel tofu at my supermarket
    (5/05/06)

Default Vegan birthday cake suggestion?

Hello

It's my mum's birthday. I think everyone needs a birthday cake, however, she is currently avoiding ALL sugar. You see the problem.

Can anyone think of anything I can do for her instead of a (sugary) cake. Preferably something she can offer to people and something that I can put candles in ?

Default Re: Alternative birthday cake! Help!!

Use stevia?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Yeh, I could do that. Have you tried that before?

I thought I could maybe do a big round loaf of some sort of bread, but My mum is the bread queen and I'm not sure I can compete.

This may sound a bit silly but locally some people have started having wedding pies instead of cakes. Maybe you could make her a birthday pie? You could still put candles on it.

What kind of pie Jane? Shortcrust pastry? Like, a soya mince & onion pie?

I guess you mean without fructose as well as plain old sugar, otherwise it would be a doddle, you could just make a fruitcake (there are quite a few recipes for diabetic fruit cake that are just fruit, no sugar and no artificial sweeteners...are you trying to avoid artificial sweeteners?)

What about that xylitol stuff or whatever it's called - the stuff that's meant to protect your teeth and be made out of birch trees?

Sorry, I'm not being much help here, am I?

Thanks Twinkle. I think the reason it's so difficult is that I don't really know!

My nanna, my mum's mum, has just been diagnosed with diabetes, and as her brother and sister already have it, mum has gone into 'panic mode' and thinks if she eats any sugar she'll get diabetes. I'm sure the occasional bit of cake would be fine, but I know that a normal cake would cause her more anxiety than pleasure.

She's really limiting herself with fruit and fruit juice so I think a fruit cake would still be too sweet. She's a bit suspicious of artificial anythings.

I really like the pie idea Jane. Maybe if I did an apple pie with no sugar, that would be ok? It's her birthday today, but she's having a couple of people round to celebrate tomorrow night.

I'd eat an apple pie with no sugar!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Yeh, but you'd eat a humongous triple chocolate fudge cake

Yeah! Well, maybe not a whole one!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

vegan1969

I don't know if this will help you but I recently posted it on another thread for someone wanting the same thing:

Anytime I see the word diabetic in a thread I always recommend this video:

This is one of my fav collective websites and they have a little bit of everything so I'm guessing they have something for diabetics too

**I don't know if this recipe would be appropriate for diabetics but this is my fav cake recipe:

Cake:
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 cup prune juice
    1 banana
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    3 t baking powder
    1/2 - 1 t cinnamon (depending on your like of cinnamon)
    1/2 cup soy milk
    1 T milled flax seed mixed with 3 T water
    1/4 cup milled flax seed
    1/4 cup walnuts
    1/4 cup raisins (I use dark and golden)

put prune juice, soy milk, banana, cinnamon, flax seed with water and pumpkin in a food processor and mix
    add flour, baking powder and rest of flax and mix
    add walnuts and raisins and pulse enough to fold in

I like to top the cake with sliced almonds (optional) and bake at 350 for about 35-45 min (you may need to cover the cake with foil for the last 15 min to prevent over browning on top.....It's really tasty!

*you can substitute things in it like use applesauce instead of pumpkin or banana or different fruit instead of raisins(like dried cherries, figs, etc) and different nuts instead of walnuts(like pecans) or different spices instead of cinnamon (like allspice)...

I'd help you Red Wellies

I'm quite liking the apple pie idea. And at least she'd know I'd made an effort.

While we're on the topic of my mum, she told me yesterday that she wants to go vegan Hooray

Thanks Vegan 1969

YIPPEE for your mum!!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I was talking about fruit pies...but that mince one sounds delicious too. Apple has my mouth watering at the moment....depending on the apples just a little sweetner would work...I think just a bit of something like stevia maybe.....

I don't have any stevia or anything like that I got some apples Now I just need to muster some energy

Limey

*sends Cherry all the energy I'm not using here at work today*