Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for birthdays and other parties

Default Re: Alternative birthday cake! Help!!

Thanks

Di

Find a vegan cake recipe that uses maple syrup for sweetening, then replace the volume of the syrup with 1/2 c soymilk and 1/2 cup applesauce. Add 2 tablespoons egg replacer for binding and 1.5 tsp pure stevia extract and follow the recipe directions with your "new" sweetener.

Thanks Di

I might try to invent a recipe for future use that uses apple or banana instead of sugar. Does grating the apple work? Making apple sauce is a bit of a faff. Grated apple and carrot might be nice.

Its my last day at work on mon and I was thinking of taking in a homemade cake to say goodbye. I was thinking of making a victoria sponge typ cake, but instead of using vanilla in the sponge using rosewater. I also thought I would make some blueberry jam to fill the centre and decorate the top with rose petals. Do you think rose and blueberry go together? I bought some strawberry jam just in case.

Di

you can definitely use grated veg instead. just compensate a bit with the liquid. i usually use store bought applesauce so i know what you mean.

Default Dinner party! :-0

My friend, who is leaning towards vegetarianism, wants to try a vegan meal (which must include tofu, beleive it or not), so I said I'd cook for him next Saturday. PROBLEM = I can't cook! Does anyone have any simple, yet tasty recipes I could use? I am quite aware there's alot of pressure on me next week to present vegan meals in the best possible way I was also thinking about making a cake for afterwards. Any help would be very much appreciated! Cheers!
    ~ Every day is Earth Day!!!! ~

Default Re: Dinner party! :-0

My favourite easy starter is avocados...with a lovely vinaigrette, good crusty bread maybe a few cherry tomatoes.

An easy main dish that you can prepare beforehand is vegetable lasagne, there are plenty of good recipes for that on here. You won't be stressing out in the kitchen when your guests are there and it will smell good as it cooks..

A lovely fresh fruit salad or big chunks of lovely ripe pineapple are favourites of mine. I sometimes do hot berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries) that you can buy frozen with vegan icecream, which is always greatly appreciated They are so easy.

These are just ideas..Have a lovely time and let us know what you cooked and how it went.

Trying to think of something simple that includes tofu. I mostly use it in stir-fries, which is easy enough, but even easier would be to make a raw vegetable salad (chopped carrots, radishes, celery if he likes it, etc) with tofu as an added ingredient. You could make a vaguely oriental dressing for it by adding a dash of soy sauce to vinaigrette. You could serve this as a starter or a side dish.

I would buy the pre-marinated tofu chunks that Cauldron makes if you can, as that will save you a job.

If you can get the Taifun smoked tofu with almond, that's a really tasty intro to tofu and you don't have to do anything with it - just cube and put in a salad or something.

I've also seen a very easy tofu pudding recipe which was just to get a box of mori nu tofu, melt a bar of chocolate and then put them both in a blender with a bit of flavouring (such as rum!). That makes a custardy type pudding that could be served with biscuits or something.

I would recommend you try making any dishes you're thinking of making in a trial run before the actual day, so you know if they taste nice and if they go together. You might also want to look at what people have for Thanksgiving/Christmas Dinner (use the search) on this forum, as some people really push the boat out

Jippia

Question dinner party recipes

Hello other vegans! I hope that this is the right section for my question.

My husband and I are members of an omni dinner party group at our church. There are 12-16 people and we are to cook the next time. We are looking for ideas as to what to make them. They are ok with trying vegan food. They even thought it would be very interesting.

What would you serve to a group like that? We usually have a main course and a dessert and we share the costs. It is an informal gathering.

What are your favourite party recipes?

Thanks,

Mirjam

Default Re: dinner party recipes

This ancient recipe always seems to go down well with omnivores. Not sure that it is particularly a party dish as it looks a bit messy, although with the parsley (which I generally forget) the colour is quite pretty. Sorry about the old-fashioned measurements...

Greek olive and potato stew
    This simple recipe is slightly adapted from one in "BBC Vegetarian Good
    Food" (April 1994 issue), which is in turn taken from a book called "The
    Foods of Greece" by Aglaia Kremezi. Makes a fine supper with a green
    salad and a bean salad on the side.

Patates Yahni Me Elies/Potato Stew with Olives

Olive oil
    3 lbs potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
    4 large onions, sliced
    10 garlic cloves, sliced
    1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
    6 fl oz wine (white or red)
    2 tsp dried oregano
    1.5 lbs chopped tomatoes, tinned or fresh (we used a mixture)
    6 oz black olives, pitted and rinsed, then roughly chopped
    2 tbsp olive paste (or just use extra olives)
    parsley

Heat oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5. Cover bottom of a heavy pan with oil
    and saute the potatoes for five minutes - in batches if necessary, but I
    just put them all in together and turned them frequently.

Remove potatoes from pan to an oven-proof dish large enough for them to
    lie in a shallow layer. Use a slotted spoon so the oil is left in the
    pan. Add more oil if necessary, and saute the onions, garlic and chili
    for a few minutes.Then add wine, tomatoes, oregano, olives, olive paste.
    Cook for a minute or two, then pour this sauce over the potatoes. Bake
    for 45 minutes to 1 hour until potatoes are tender. Top up with water or
    wine if it gets too dry during cooking (mine didn't but I left the lid on
    the dish, though the recipe says "bake uncovered".) Sprinkle with chopped
    parsley and eat.

Jippia

Sounds good. I think it is something I will make when my parents are here in April.They will be my 'guinea-pigs' and my mother is a great cook, so she can help me make it. I may have to chop the olives very finely, as my husband does not like olives and so do my parents. I do not know about the dinner party group. I think I will make two or three different dishes. The measurements are no problem. There are online converters.

It is an idea. Until now, what we ate was very Dutch and old-fashion. I do not mind Dutch 'cuisine', but it is rather bland and mainly the old trio of meat-potatoes-vegetables, in that order. I love Greek food, thanks to the great restaurant in our town.

I can cook this recipe in our church' kitchen and the ingredients are not expensive. Thank you!

How about a rich mushroom and chestnut pie ... a lovely gloopy, gravy mixture topped with some puff pastry. And to accomany it a heap of chunky winter root veg, tossed in some olive oil and herbs and a dash of maple syrup, then roasted in the oven.

I have a WICKED chocolate torte recipe if you would like it. Every time I've ever served it people have said "oh, that so chocolatey" with a gosh-I-couldn't-eat-all-that voice.... and have finished off every crumb and asked for more. It has a crushed digestive biscuit and melted chocolate base and the topping is melted chocolate and soya cream and some brandy. Chill it overnight and it's LUSH!

In fact, I'm going to make it this week as my friend is visiting.

I'd LOVE the torte recipe! I've got omni friends coming over for dinner in a couple of weeks and this sounds like the perfect way to win them over...! If you don't mind sharing it, that would be great.

Quote Est View Post
    I'd LOVE the torte recipe! I've got omni friends coming over for dinner in a couple of weeks and this sounds like the perfect way to win them over...! If you don't mind sharing it, that would be great.
    Here it is ... it's a Rose Elliot recipe .... as you can see, it's terribly complicated!

100g chocolate, melted
    175g digestive biscuits, crushed

Mix together and press into a 21cm loose-bottom tin.

200g chocolate, melted

250ml soya cream
    3 tablespoons brandy
    Mix together and whisk until thickend. Pour over biscuit base. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours (12-24 hours is not too long).

To serve, place strips of greaseproof paper over the top and sift icing sugar in between them, so you end up with stipes of icing sugar. It's great serves with strawberry coulis and mint sprigs.

Beware... it's VERY rich. You only need a tiny slice (followed by two more tiny slices!)

Thanks Aradia! I like your thinking on the number of slices...

I made this and have posted a picture in the food photo thread.

There's none left now!!!

I saw the photo! It looked amazing I'd have eaten it all too!

I make that torte too! Recently we had it with grated orange zest on top. The flavour infuses in, you don't even have to add any juice and it tastes like choc orange. Recommended!
    Or with berries.

How about a vegan chili for a dinner dish? That is easy to cook heaps of and people usually like it. i am going to try that potato olive thing when i have guests on Friday, thanks!

I'm liking the orange idea. Do you still add the brandy? I'm making my shopping list

We had dinner with a group of friends at someone else's house last night and one of the girls brought along a torte. Looked very like this one, but contained egg, evaporated milk, milk choc etc so I couldn't have any. I actually thought of "Aradia's torte" and felt really peeved that anyone could feel the need to add all that dairy when it's just not necessary. Grrrrr I had 2 vegan choc chip cookies instead.

Can't wait to make this one! Is there any way of making it less rich? OH commented that the dairy pus one was too rich and I really want him to prefer this one!!

Edit: Jippia, I apologise - I've hijacked your thread Please make the torte for your dessert so I feel like I stuck with on-topic discussion! Sorry X

Default Best Vegan Birthday Cake

It's my house mates birthday in a couple of days, and the sheer wealth of vegan cake recipes is throwing me off.
    I really want to prove to him that vegan cake can be just as delicious, and due to me having little experience in baking, would also like a quite foolproof recipe.
    I was thinking a chocolate cake with two layers, butter cream like filling and chocolate icing, but anything tasty will do (not too rich). So, anyone know of any great birthday cake recipes?
    So far, i'm thinking of using the chocolate cake on Cherry's site as a fall back, as it looks delicious and fairly easy, but not too birthday-ish.

Bit late as i'm hoping to make it tomorrow evening but heres hoping. Please, any ideas?

Bare in mind i have no electric whisk.

Default Re: Best Vegan Birthday Cake

i've made the fudge cake on cherry's site before. it's AWESOME, and the fudge icing recipe is the best one i've come across.

you could always add something to the top of cherry's cake, like strawberries or whatnot. and a layer of jam in between layers is never unappreciated

amanda

The chocolate fudge cake looks fantastic but i was little apprehensive about: 'beat thoroughly with an electric whisk'. Will i find it really hard without an electric whisk? - that's how clueless i am.

Quote confusionisben View Post
    The chocolate fudge cake looks fantastic but i was little apprehensive about: 'beat thoroughly with an electric whisk'. Will i find it really hard without an electric whisk? - that's how clueless i am.
    I never use an electric whisk.

The thickness of the batter is what determines how hard it will be. It will probably take an extra couple minutes, But it shouldn't cause you too many issues. It's a bit of a workout, But nothing extreme by any means.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

I think i may have a winner!

Tomorrow will be interesting to say the least. I've made muffins and cookies before, but a cake may be my Icarus.

Quote flying plum View Post
    i've made the fudge cake on cherry's site before. it's AWESOME, and the fudge icing recipe is the best one i've come across.

you could always add something to the top of cherry's cake, like strawberries or whatnot. and a layer of jam in between layers is never unappreciated

amanda
    I agree
    I've made this a few times as a birthday cake and it is always realllllllly appreciated !

I've also cooked it one big tin before, split it into 3 layers, used cherry jam and cherries as well as the chocolate inbetween the layers and cherries on top. You could do the same with raspberries or something also.

Well it was a success!
    Everyone enjoyed and complimented the cake. I kept it quite simple using the Fudge cake recipe, but added a vanilla icing to the top, as not everyone attending was a chocoholic.

That three layer cherry cake ^^ sounds amazing.

I've now got cake making fever.

Groovy

And to be honest, even I don't usually use an electric whisk! (I did the first time and it was lighter than usual so thought I'd better put that bit that in.)

I pretty much always use an electric whisk. It's my cheapest yet most used electrical kitchen item. I bought it for 7 quid from argos at uni for making vegan marshmallows. I would only ever want to replace it with a nice dualit one, but they're just a bit too much overpriced.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Not to be controversial Mr F, but I find with some recipes that you get better results with a wooden spoon

Actually, I could probably go with one of these; they seem a bit more sensibly priced.

That's just what I've always wanted ...how long til Christmas?

It's my birthday in just over a month

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    making vegan marshmallows.
    recipe.

now.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    recipe.
    now.
    Yeah, that one nearly slipped under the radar didn't it!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

OMG Cherry, I just made the chocolate fudge cake for my son's birthday tomorrow - absolutely the best cake I ever made
    Trouble is I daren't work out the calories in it, I think we'd just better give it to him and run away before he opens the tin!!!
    Silent but deadly :p

Figaro

Default Birthday cake recipes.

I'm looking for some good birthday cake recipes. Something not too dry and doesn't make you thirsty, but sweet. Something fruity, maybe, like lemon. Or chocolate or vanilla, not rich though.

Idk, anyone have any good ideas/recipes?

Thanks for reading, all help is appreciated on this one.

Ch-ears.

Default Re: Birthday cake recipes.

My lemon cake's quite nice

lemon cake

I made the chocolate fudge cake yesterday for a birthday. It was yum and the omnivores enjoyed it Unfortunately it melted in my car on the way there and the layers slid apart so I had to squish it back together! It was fine, just upsetting as it looked sooooo perfect covered in the fudge icing before I left the house! It was still excellent though. Thanks for the recipe Cherry!

i've also used Cherry's recipe, i've just added some pears on top. it was great ! although a bit flat, i forgot to buy some yeast so the cake had trouble rising. but it was good

Default Parents dinner party

Ok so my parents are having a dinner party/get together for their wedding anniversary at home in August, and she wants me to make some food that "I can eat", but not too much because "other people won't eat it"...
    I really want to make some amazing dishes that will appeal to the omnis so they get a good impression of Vegans/Vegan food and hopefully eat my stuff instead of the meat... Keep in mind that I am the blacksheep in my family, so I don't think meat subsitutes will tempt them.
    My idea so far include:
    couscous-with vegetable bouillion and olive oil
    mixed vegetable kebabs (cherry tomatoes, courgettes and peppers)
    vegan chocolate cake
    any other ideas?
    i have some liquid smoke sitting here that i would like to use for something...no idea what though... hmm

hfw

Default Re: Parents dinner party

Anything involving pastry usually goes down well IME. Maybe you could make e.g. filo parcels filled with spinach and pine nuts? You used to be able to get vol-au-vent cases that were vegan in supermarkets; haven't checked recently.

or some mini-quiche? i jut invented some that donīt even contain tofu.
    maybe some chickpea-salad, like "mock-tuna"?
    oh, i just made stuffed pineapples for my father when my mother was away for some days - those look amazing!!!!
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Quote Elahiya View Post
    or some mini-quiche? i jut invented some that donīt even contain tofu.
    maybe some chickpea-salad, like "mock-tuna"?
    oh, i just made stuffed pineapples for my father when my mother was away for some days - those look amazing!!!!
    Ohh that quiche sounds interesting, tell me more! I was told by an (eggless) vegetarian to use 8oz of sour cream and a few tablespoons of cornflour for vegan quiche, is that how you do it? i wonder if soya cream would work as well?

last time i attended a omni party of this sorts i brought a veggie platter & i made some thai style spring rolls with a peanut dipping sauce. everyone loved the spring rolls. and the veggie platter was, of course, popular. (omnis here usually expect "ranch" style dressing with their veggies but i used goddes dressing and they LOVED IT!)
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

@ hiddenfromview: I didnīt even add egg-replacer or soy cream o soya sour cream. LOL hereīs what and how I made it (was just for me, therefore the small amounts of the ingredients):

1/4 eggplant
    1/8 zucchini
    30g chili pasta (usual pasta will also work great, just had them here)
    25g chickpea-curry spread (can also use another spread or just curry)
    15g falafel-mix
    1 tsp yeast flakes

at first slice the eggplant, sprinkle with salt on both sides and put aside for about half an hour. then prepare the pasta. in the meantime you can slice the zucchini into cubes. when the pasta is almost done, put some of the water away and add the eggpplant and the zuchhini. be sure to hold back some water for the veggies. at the end you should have a bit of water remained, so that you can add the falafel-mix and the spread or curry. with the falafel mix it should thicken a bit, it will do later as well when itīs in the oven. if it doesnīt thicken enough like you would want it add some more falafel-mix. then put into a muffin form, i used one made of silicon - that should work the best. otherwise you have to oil the form a bit. let is bake for about half an hour at 200°C, but check after 20 mins. let it cool down afterwards a bit, then youīll get it better out of the form without an "accident".

i tried to describe it as good as i could... it was just something i made up spontaneously...
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

This recipe is my adaptation of a spanikopita recipe in the book Vegan World Fusion Cuisine. It is truly one of my all-time favorite dishes. I have entertained with it a number of times and gotten approval from a number of vegan skeptics, including kids. The finished product is a little reminiscent of quiche and has amazing flavor. This recipe is for a pie/casserole-style dish, but you could alternatively make just the filling and bake it in phyllo cups. Here it is:

2 lb Tofu, extra firm, crumbled
    1 pkg Phyllo sheets
    8c Spinach
    2c Onion, diced
    2 Tbsp Olive oil
    1 ―c Garbanzo beans, cooked, drained and roughly mashed
    ūc Tahini, roasted
    1/2c Kalamata olives, chopped
    1/4c Garlic, minced
    1/4c Nama shoyu, or to taste
    2 Tbsp Italian parsley, minced
    2 Tbsp Basil, minced
    3 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
    1 ― Tbsp Oregano, fresh minced
    1 ― Tbsp Thyme, fresh minced
    1tsp Rosemary, fresh minced
    1/4c olive oil for basting
    Sea salt and black pepper to taste

Preparation
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 2 Tbsp oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add onions, cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the tofu and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tahini and mix thoroughly to coat evenly. Mix in spinach and cook for about 3 minutes, or until to slightly wilted. Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients, except phyllo dough and additional 1/4c olive oil, mix thoroughly.
    2.Lightly oil a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Place 1/3 of the phyllo dough (7 sheets) on the bottom of the dish one sheet at a time, lightly oiling each sheet with olive oil using a small pastry brush. Place half of the tofu mixture on top of the phyllo dough.
    3.Repeat step 2, using 7 sheets of the phyllo dough and the remaining half of the tofu mixture. Top with the remaining phyllo dough, lightly brush with oil, (optional- sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper) and bake until phyllo is golden brown approximately 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool at least 20-30 minutes before serving (The longer it cools, the better. The flavor and texture improves as it is cooled and is especially good when it is refrigerated overnight!)

* Note: If you want the spanikopita in a pie shape instead of a 9 x 13 casserole, simply use a large pie dish, cut phyllo dough sheets in half, and rotate positioning when layering so phyllo dough is even all around. Enjoy!

Good luck with your dinner party!

Qaxt

Default Graduation party!

I'm planning WAYYY ahead here, as I don't graduate for another year, but what should I do about food for my graduation party? All my family and friends are omnivores. I am (obviously) a vegan. I (again, obviously) don't even want a hint of meat or dairy there. But it's mostly my mom's call, as she'll probably handle food.

What do I do?! She doesn't think having only vegan food is a good idea, as she doesn't think anyone will eat it. I'm not an excellent cook, and all I can really cook is pasta. I don't think people would go for pasta with red sauce and pasta with nooch sauce!

Suggestions?

Default Re: Graduation party!

We had a family type party a while ago where all the food was vegan and people seemed happy with it even though most of them are omnivores. We had caterers but the stuff was mostly stuff you could buy or make yourself if you had enough time - snack foods like falafels, vegetable plates with dips, tofu kebabs, small sandwiches, fruit, cake and so on.

It's your party and if you want to have a vegan one perhaps you could offer to take charge of the food yourself? You've got plenty of time to experiment to see what you can make and what your friends will eat!