Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Ideas for birthdays and other parties

Default Re: dinner party

For dessert I recommend either cheesecake or the raspberry blackout cake (chocolate cake with raspberry jam in the mixture and spread in the middle and on top with chocolate icing) from Vegan with a Vengeance. You can make them both the day before (in fact it's best if you do) which leaves you more time to cook savoury stuff on the day.
    http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/cooking4vegans

My friend often cooks small individual roasted red onion tarts for a starter.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Roasted red peppers stuffed with fennel to start, good recipe in delia's vegetarian collection as they can be done in advance and served chilled, followed by a lasagne or a pasta bake, then chocolate cheesecake from how it all vegan... mmmmm!

Default Vegan Birthday Cake

It's my 21st in a month, and as if dragging all my friends (most of whom are omni) to Terre A Terre for one night, I really want a vegan cake made, you know like an amazing one which has "21" sugarcrafted on the top. Any cake shops in Kent/East Sussex that would do such a thing?

helen105281

Default Re: Vegan Birthday Cake

Default Re: Vegan Birthday Cake

Rebecca's Cakes is based in London but she sends certain orders and offers collection. Her cakes are beautiful: http://thevegancakegirl.co.uk/

Question Recipes Wanted For Birthday Treats

I want to try out baked goods in advance for my daughter's first birthday to see which ones I want to make. We have 4 months to experiment. I am looking for recipes that don't include egg replacers, I have had terrible luck with them. Looking for brownies, cakes, cupcakes, and any other treats that have been a hit with kids!

Thanks.

Default Re: Recipes Wanted For Birthday Treats

Heres my advice from 11 years of parenthood.
    1. Don't make too much food! I started off on the first few birthdays by making loads and seperate food for parents and kids and having loads left over.
    2. Heres my latest list: cut up pepper, carrot, cucumber. cherry tomatoes. hummus or other dips. Veggie sausage rolls. A bowl of crisps. Maybe some sanwiches (last time I didn't make these as my daughters are older they don't want to be sat down eating for ages). Some clemantines or satsumas. Then a cake to follow.

Sausage rolls are ready made puff pastry and sosmix. The cake recipe varies. The most basic ones are flour, sugar and baking powder with oil and water mixed in. I find that its the icing that really makes the cake anyway, so any basic vegan cake recipe will do.
    For my birthday, my daughters made marble cake which is half chocolate and half plain cake mix, with pink butter cream icing. It looke impressive when cut because of the marble effect.

Jennie

Question Looking for a yummy tipple for my 40th birthday party that won't break any rules

Hi! haven't been on here for a while, but figure it's the best place for answers! Was never much of a drinker, but since being vegan have stuck to the WKD etc, although was always parcial to baileys etc, but guess they're too creamy and such for us now? Boys have persuaded Mom to have a bDay bash next week, so lookin for a scrummy tipple to enjoy, any suggestions? Thanks! Jennie. xx
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

Default Re: Looking for a yummy tipple for my 40th birthday party that won't break any r

Yeh, Bailey's definitely isn't vegan. As a substitute I'm quite fond of kahlua (it's sort of coffee liqueur, but tastes more of chocolate than coffee) mixed with soya milk. Nice.

Default Re: Looking for a yummy tipple for my 40th birthday party that won't break any r

Where's Elahiya when you need her? I'm pretty sure she has a "vegan Bailey's"...

Maybe try dropping her a PM?

she has.... and other delightful thingies....

http://ankescocktails.blogspot.com/2...8dee7a0c8948d8 (it´s bilingual)
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Default Re: Best Vegan Birthday Cake

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    making vegan marshmallows

Two others pointed this out, and I'm also very intrigued. What is this recipe you were using? I hope you still have it as this thread was last updated last year!

Quote terem View Post
    I hope you still have it
    I may be almost 30 but I can assure you that I do still have 'it'

As for the recipe it was a veganization (if not a word it should be) of the standard geletin containing one - sugar, a bit of glucose/corn syrup and water boiled to hard ball, taken off the heat and blended until white with vanilla essence, salt and gelling agent disolved in water. Left to cool then cut with cornflour or icing sugar. A similar looking recipe (other than the geletin) is here.

I got it tasting perfectly, but the consistancy using what's sold in the UK as 'vegegel' wasn't great - it went geletinous but didn't set up properly. I didn't experiment with it enough to find the right type and amount of gelling agent to use.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Silly!

Thanks Mr. Flibble! I found this gelatin. I don't know where I would be able to find vegan gelatin if not for online shops.

Default Non-chocolate birthday cake!

Hi, it's my sons third birthday in a fortnight and I'm wanting to make him a birthday cake for his party (where it will be full of non-vegans). However, my mum can't eat chocolate, so all the chocolate birthday cake recipes are out. It doesn't need to be a fancy cake, just really yummy as i want to prove the vegan doubters wrong!
    I could do with a failproof cake recipe that will be suitable for decorating with sugarpaste - its a lightning mcqueen cake!

can anyone help please?

Default Re: Vegan birthday cake suggestion?

http://www.maplespice.com/2009/03/ve...rger-cake.html

If a bit extravagant, perhaps something else under the 'cake' tag
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

That is pretty amazing. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

If that doesn't suit, maybe you could make a vegan carrot cake - I have had that a few times and it's usually nice and moist. Not sure how well it would go with the kind of icing you want but there's one way to find out!

I haven't made one but I see Cherry has a recipe here http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getreci...pe=carrot_cake Her recipes are always excellent.

Hello, by the way!

Quote Gwydion View Post
    http://www.maplespice.com/2009/03/ve...rger-cake.html

If a bit extravagant, perhaps something else under the 'cake' tag

That burger cake looks insanely good!
    I'm going to have to have a go at making some of those cakes sometime.
    Damnit, this is not helping with my diet

Default Birthday ideas

so, soon i'm having my 21st, i won't be doing anything big, but people keep asking me what food/cake i want

so anyway, i'm looking for suggestions, i wouldnt mind some sort of home-makable indian curry type food, or a lentil pie of some sort

as for the cake, i'm really not into eating large sugary, buttery things, so i was hoping for some egg-free, lower sugar alternatives to a cake
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 25th, 2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Hi Mufuss! I'm just wondering, is this food for just you or for everyone coming to the party? Also for the cake, would you still like something sweet? Maybe you could branch out and do something savoury, like a birthday tofu quiche?
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Ideas for birthdays and other parties

Hello, congratulations on your 21st. For dessert, maybe you could have apple strudel - it needn't be too sweet and filo pastry is usually vegan anyway so it doesn't need much adaptation and won't be viewed as "weird" by omnivores if that's a concern... I admit it's not usual for a birthday but what the heck, am sure it would look fine with candles on

Before that maybe you could make a chickpea curry - again omnivores seem to regard that as "normal" food There are a lot of simple recipes around e.g. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2...sala-made-easy
    Last edited by harpy; Mar 25th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.

Quote harpy View Post
    Hello, congratulatins on your 21st. For dessert, maybe you could have apple strudel - it needn't be too sweet and filo pastry is usually vegan anyway so it doesn't need much adaptation and won't be viewed as "weird" by omnivores if that's a concern... I admit it's not usual for a birthday but what the heck, am sure it would look fine with candles on

Before that maybe you could make a chickpea curry - again omnivores seem to regard that as "normal" food There are a lot of simple recipes around e.g. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2...sala-made-easy
    if were up to me, i'd rather just have no cake, but i get the feeling the family wants me to choose one... my main issues with the cake are, i typically dont like, or indulge in sugar/butter loaded stuff, and finding something that holds a.. cake shape that's vegan, and preferably has some sort of nutritional value, perhaps some sort of... fruit salad in cake shape?, and not those glazed sugar filled fruitcakes you see in shops lol

as for the previous post, i'm not really having much of a party so to speak of, rather just immediate family, a typical dinner/cake type birthday (not entirely sure why my post was moved to a party foods section, since it's really just dinner and a cake, but ok)

for dinner, i wouldnt mind a lentil/vegetable type pie, or some indian food we can make at home easily- i remember one i had a while ago, it was something like an "aloo masala" or something along those lines, had vegetables, and some thick tomato sauce of some kind- but really, i like any indian food

Maybe you can make a "cake" like this http://www.food.com/recipe/fruit-cak...-a-cake-481466 - there are a few other pics if you search for "cake made of fruit". A lot of them seem to involve watermelon!

that's an interesting cake(shaped piece of watermelon), i wouldnt mind it myself though i'm not sure how popular it would be with everyone else

erghh, just having a look at recipes from google search, almost all are loaded with sugar and margarine- i know this is pretty typical of a cake, but i'm a bit of a picky eater, and i hate eating junk food (even on a special occasion)

-short of that, they might be just making me a zuchinni cake if i can't find an alternative, which was kinda nice x years ago when i had it, but was naturally loaded with sugar, and oil, and eggs perhaps someone atleast knows a recipe for a vegan zuchinni cake incase i can't find anything else suitable?

just been thinking since my last post, anyone know any good pumpkin/sweet potato pie recipes? i imagine they could be somewhat sweet naturally, and easy to serve as a dessert, without too much added butter/sugar, or perhaps some other vegetable/fruit pie along the same lines, any ideas?

Rocket Queen

Default Re: party food

I didn't want to begin a new thread just for me but having read all this thread I'm still somewhat stuck.
    It's my Grandmother's 80th on Friday. They're all eating horrid meat stuff but I'll have to go and I do love my Grandmother, she's not in the best of health either :/
    Anyway. I have to take something for me to have for dinner, and also I want to take some stuff they can try (side dishes).
    I don't want to take 'fake meats' or 'fake cheeses' as I feel this emphasises that we need a 'substitute' for their 'normal' food -I want to take something that's vegan and still nice witout needing to be like omnivore food, I hope that makes sense. I know I'll be the one eating it, but I don't want them looking at my food and thinking 'ugh I don't like the look of that'.
    Also, I am travelling for this dinner about 70 miles in the car. I can cook it up at my parent's house (where the meal is being held) but I suppose some food stuffs are tricker to transport than others.
    I want to make some side dishes, I'm thinking of taking salsa and popadums, maybe a lentil dip,something else I've not thought of yet lol.
    Finally,if I'm to prepare food before travelling there-I have to note I do not have an oven at the moment-well I do, but if you've read anything I've posted so far you'l know I'm living in a disprepaired property lol. It doesn't work without tripping the electrics-I was wanting to make vegan lasagne on first thought process then realised I can't. Grr.
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Hi Festered! Party food is always a bit challenging simply because you know that you will be judged no matter what you bring! You could make curry and bring popadoms or naan bread and other Indian accompaniments and make it a bit of a personal theme. Or if you wanted something traditional you could bring soup and a nutroast for yourself. Also dessert never fails to impress, make a chocolate cake or some buns or biccies if you can borrow an oven. I have made cakes from accidentally vegan cake mixes, instead of adding egg, add a dash of vinegar, a bit of baking soda, some oil and soya milk or water. That could save you carting around cake ingredients with you on a long drive. I'll let you know if I think of any other ideas!
    Houmous atá ann!

Garlic bread usually goes down well, as do felafels and hummus. You could do the garlic bread at home and wrap in foil then just heat up when you get there. You could buy the other stuff ready made and hide the packaging I would take some kind of green salad too as you can't assume they'll have that. ETA how about a no-cook cake like http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyl...idge-cake.aspx if you have a fridge? Suppose you would need a cool bag to transport.
    Last edited by harpy; Jun 2nd, 2013 at 05:00 PM.