Thread: Two questions

Question Two questions

I'm going to be on holiday in New York, New Hampshire and Maine and wondered firstly if anyone could recommend vegan friendly places to eat and secondly where can I buy vital wheat gluten to bring home with me?

phact0rri

Default Re: Two questions

for good places to eat happycow.net is a pretty good resource for restaurants when one is traveling.

Smile Re: Two questions

Yes I know about Happy Cow I was hoping for some personal recommendations.

Moosewood Restaurant is supposed to be really good. (Ithica, NY) I haven't had a chance to make it up there yet, but I have one of their cookbooks, which is great.
    The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.

RubyDuby

Quote Pansypuss View Post
    I'm going to be on holiday in New York, New Hampshire and Maine and wondered firstly if anyone could recommend vegan friendly places to eat and secondly where can I buy vital wheat gluten to bring home with me?
    states are pretty big to give restaurant recommendations!
    Will you be in NYC? If so I recommend Red Bamboo and Curly's Lunch.

vital wheat gluten is available at whole foods market, trader joes or any health food store.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

In NH you have to go to Susty's . I think the complete name is Susty's Radical Foods Cafe. I recommend the tofu foccacia, the cake of the day, and whatever else they have. That place is the best. I'll see if I can find their contact info and post it.

In Maine, specifically Portland, there is Granny's Burritos (which closed for a bit but from what I heard relocated to a different spot). They have 2 different vegan burritos every day, one w/ tempeh, one w/ tofu. The Pepperclub is an omni restaurant but has numerous vegan meals/dessert. They really understand about vegans, I gave them the third degree when I went there. The best place by far is a fairly new place called the Green Elephant. They even have vegan wine. All of their food is vegan except for one item they can put an egg in. Weird, I know. The spring rolls are to die for. And the peanut sauce dish w/ faux meant is my favorite meal. The "spare ribs" from the dinner menu are also great. They let me order those for lunch once. If you aren't too full, try the tofu cheesecake for dessert. There is a Whole Foods in Portland where I would imagine you could find wheat gluten. Plus, Whole Foods has numerous hot food bar items that are vegan. They will also make you a vegan pizza in their brick oven. Just specify vegan cheese. Sometimes they already have it behind the counter. Otherwise you can grab a block of Follow Your Heart off the shelf. Also, if you want a quick breakfast, Mr. Bagel in Portland has vegan bagels and "cream cheese" spread. It's really good.

Susty's doesn't have a website. But they are on Happy Cow. Definitely call to verify their hours. They change them w/ the season.

Here's Green Elephant www.greenelephantmaine.com

There is a new raw food / juice bar that sounds good but I've never been. It's also in Portland. www.grofoods.com

This site lists a bunch of places that have lots of other vegan options in maine. It's a pretty good reference
    http://communetestedcityapproved.blo...-portland.html

Great, thanks everyone!

if you're going to be in NYC i recommend Candle Cafe, and Blossom for something a bit special.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Well I didn't get to any places that were recommended as it just didn't work out. I was however amazed at how easy it was to eat really well. Most of the restaurants and cafés were very helpful when I explained and were quite happy to adjust the ingredients. I wasn't strict about my diet in that I didn't quiz them about what they cooked chips in, what sugar they used, the wine and beer etc, I just explained that I was vegetarian and didn't eat dairy or eggs. If there was a veggie burger on the menu I didn't quiz them about it. Some places were fantastic, we spent 3 days at a b and b in Brewster and the owners went out of their way to cook vegan, she even went onto the net and cooked us vegan pumpkin pancakes for breakfast the last morning. I can post all the places we went and the degrees of helpfulness and how vegan friendly they were if anyone is interested but it could be a long one and I'll need a little while to sort it all out. Let me know.

I'd be interested in hearing about the places in Maine that you liked. No rush though, whenever you have time.

We ate in two places in Maine, a dinner in Windham and a lunch in Norway. Charlie Bieggs in Windham next to lake Sebago. They have a web site and the menu isn't promising however amongst the burgers was a vegetarian black beanburger which was very good. They also had good pumpkin beer - Shipyard brewery. They were really friendly with good service and great atmosphere.
    In Norway we just stopped on spec as we live in Norway (Europe) and found the Nomad cafe which had veggie options (cheese involved) on the menu. When we enquired about vegan he said no prob, their bread was all vegan (made themselves) and they could do a wrap with veg and sausage which he said was also vegan. It was a great sandwich and the coffee was good. That was a really nice place with a library to browse in. They had free wifi and the owner had been brought up in Stavanger Norway - where we live! They are constructing a website.
    Hope that is helpful.

Thanks for the info Pansypuss. I've never been to either of those towns but will keep the places you mentioned in mind for the future. It's good to know how accommodating they were. And I am really surprised about the vegan sausage. Wow. I also love the idea of browsing a library. Books and food, can't get much better than that. Glad you had such a positive experience.