Thread: Not so good

Default Not so good

Does anyone who liked the taste of the old fresh so good really dislike the new "improved" recipe?

I can still drink it, but it's no where nearly as nice. It sucks in white russians.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Not so good

Is it long life or fresh?

I use Alpro Light.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

i know this isn't what you were asking so apologies, but i always thought So Good was horrible. i see from their website that their new 'best taste ever' is now made with whole soya beans and i think it always used to be made with soy protein isolate, so maybe you could look for a brand that uses that. i think most brands use whole soya beans though.

have you tried using soya cream in white Russians? what's the difference with the new version of So Good?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Marrers View Post
    Is it long life or fresh?
    You didn't read my post, did you?

Quote Gorilla
    have you tried using soya cream in white Russians?
    Yes, it works with Alpro fresh cream, though I tend to prefer my drinks longer. I find the IBA white russian a little strong. I'm a firm believer in the philosphy that a good cocktail shouldn't taste alcoholic

Quote Gorilla
    what's the difference with the new version of So Good?
    It tastes more like the standard fresh Alpro now, who I guess are their main competitor. The Alpro Light that Marrers linked to is OK (particularly in cooking), but I wouldn't want to just drink a glass of it.

Quote Gorilla
    so maybe you could look for a brand that uses that
    I think that might'nt be a bad idea. It's been a few years since I last trialled lots of different brands. Now that I'm almost 30 I tend to be affraid of change and resist it where ever possible

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    You didn't read my post, did you?
    Obviously not properly!

The Alpro Light that Marrers linked to is OK (particularly in cooking), but I wouldn't want to just drink a glass of it.
    Ew, I'd never drink a glass of plain soya milk.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

phact0rri

I always flavour my soya milk. I can get plain for like $1(USD) at the cheap grocers here. so I usually get it as apposed to paying 3 for good tasting types.

Maybe I'll like it now then, as I always preferred Alpro - although I just buy the supermarket long life brands for half the price. I've always found the relaly cheap ones are much more watery, so you might like those?

On the plus side, the long life So Good chocolate milk is much nicer now, more chocolatey and kind of, er, creamier. I always preferred the Alpro stuff, but So Good is significantly cheaper so I get that.

I don't know what's going on with the cartons though, almost every one lately breaks when I open it and dribbles choc milk out around the seal

Quote Marrers View Post
    Obviously not properly!

Ew, I'd never drink a glass of plain soya milk.
    Why not? I do all the time. It's like when I used to drink cows milk, I could easily drink a pint of green top and it was nice (or so I thought at the time), soya milk is like that now.
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

It tastes more like the standard fresh Alpro now, who I guess are their main competitor. The Alpro Light that Marrers linked to is OK (particularly in cooking), but I wouldn't want to just drink a glass of it.
    i see, i like fresh Alpro the best. i can't stand Alpro light, i think it's horrible! when you say it's good for cooking with, i presume you only use it in sweet dishes? because it has a nasty fake vanilla flavour (IMO) which i can't imagine would work in savoury dishes.

have you tried rice milk?

Quote Mr Flibble
    I think that might'nt be a bad idea. It's been a few years since I last trialled lots of different brands. Now that I'm almost 30 I tend to be affraid of change and resist it where ever possible
    i'm not big on change either, but i like to try different vegan products when they come out. as i said though you might have trouble finding a brand that uses soy protein isolate these days, there was talk about it being unhealthy and i guess people who use soya milk prefer Alpro or similar (unless it's just their advertising that makes it more popular).

Quote Corum View Post
    Why not? I do all the time. It's like when I used to drink cows milk, I could easily drink a pint of green top and it was nice (or so I thought at the time), soya milk is like that now.
    i would never drink a glass of plain soya milk either, i think it's disgusting on its own. i would never drink a glass of plain cows' milk as a child either though, my mum really had to force it on me.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

See, this is why I buy Soy Dream or Rice Dream.
    Soy milk tastes of caca, and I prefer rice milk wholeheartedly. Maybe you guys should order the dream stuff online.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Stu

Or buy it from the supermarket!

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    See, this is why I buy Soy Dream or Rice Dream.
    Soy milk tastes of caca, and I prefer rice milk wholeheartedly. Maybe you guys should order the dream stuff online.
    we can get Rice Dream in the UK which i presume is owned by the same company as the US version even though the packaging is very different.

when i was in the US the soy milk did seem a lot better than the stuff we get here, but i wouldn't import it all that way.

I had a response to my email of 2 weeks ago:

Thank you for your email. As a valued customer we were sorry to learn you are unhappy with our So Good Original Best Ever Taste!

It may help if we explain that during the past few months, sales for So Good Original have shown a slight decline. When an investigation into this was carried out, the results showed that people who drank soya wanted something that was as close to milk as possible. Therefore, a decision was made to create a product fitting to the consumer’s requirement. It was quickly established that if we used the whole bean instead of just the protein isolate, we would be able to produce a product more liking to milk but with the added benefits of omega 3 and 6 which are contained within the soya bean. It is this recipe change that has contributed to the product being slightly thicker in consistency and more of a creamy colour.

Such decisions are not taken lightly and many months of research were put into this new recipe prior to its launch. This included a taste panel with current So Good consumers, as well as Alpro and dairy consumers. The results showed that the new So Good recipe was the most popular taste.

We appreciate that the changes will not be to everyone’s personal liking therefore, we will be monitoring all consumer feedback over the next few months after which, the new products performance will be reviewed.

So, apparently it now tastes more like dairy milk. It's impressive that they managed to cram an investigation and many months of research into the past few months

That almost makes me want to try it!

I always avoided so good because of the fact it was soy protein isolate. Now if I see it on offer I won't hesitate to buy it.

I tend to prefer the cheap supermarket own brand long life milks.

But someone at work picked some soya milk up for me and it was the Tesco fresh. That tasted really good. Might be worth a try.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

The one in the red carton? I love that stuff!

Yeah, I think it was that one.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Marrers View Post
    That almost makes me want to try it!
    i might try it if i see it somewhere but most shops near me only have their own brand or Alpro.

I did have a look but only saw the sweetened version. Looking it up online it appears the unsweetened version is also a 'light' version and since it is not marked 'tastes even better' I assume it has not had a recipe change. Milk isn't sweetened so why should soya milk be when it is trying to be more milk tasting?
    Looks like I won't be trying it after all.

Original
    Filtered Water, Whole Soya Beans (4%), Sugar, Maltodextrin, Sunflower Oil, Calcium Phosphate, Flavouring, Acidity Regulators: Potassium Citrate, Potassium Phosphate, Stabilisers: Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Salt, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Niacin, Zinc Gluconate, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Vitamin A, Potassium Iodide, Folacin, Vitamin B12. Contains: Soya

Light (Unsweetened)
    Filtered Water, Soya Protein (2%), Inulin, Sunflower Oil, Stabilisers (Cellulose, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan), Maltodextrin, Acidity Regulators (Potassium Citrate, Potassium Phosphate), Flavourings, Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Zinc Gluconate, Niacin, Vitamin E, Riboflavin, Vitamin A,, Thiamin, Vitamin D, Potassium Iodide, Folacin, Vitamin B12.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Milk isn't sweetened so why should soya milk be when it is trying to be more milk tasting?
    milk contains natural sugars (lactose), and unsweetened soya milk is very bitter to some people's tastes.

so does it still taste of vanilla? I always hated So Good for that reason- who wants vanilla-ey tea?- and I always favoured Alpro fresh stuff. But now it seems like Alpro have changed their flavour and that tastes of vanilla now so if So Good doesn't any more I might switch to that.