Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Obesity in U.S.

Question Obesity in U.S.

Right now Iīm watching a documentary from USA about obese teens.
    And I can tell you, in Sweden there are LOADS of that kind of programs!!
    They show at least two/week!!
    Iīve never been to America, but I (and most of the Swedish people, I think) have prejudices that says "all" americans are fat!! Of course I understand thatīs not the case, but itīs really scary to see those documentarys every week, and read statistics from the worlds most poweful country, that shows that it has really degenerated (not sure of the spelling) over there!
    My boyfriend lived in Ohio for 5 years and his image of the states is that either people are really fit or theyīre really fat.
    What do you say, Americans? How is it over there? Is obesety such big problem like it seems like in media?

Default Re: Obesity in U.S.

Quote VegaLi View Post
    Is obesety such big problem like it seems like in media?
    The first time I went to the US (in the mid 90s) I was shocked by some of the obesity I saw. Nowadays I am no longer shocked because the UK is just as bad.

I blame the food and drinks industries which are literally killing people with heart disease, diabetes, stroke etc. IMO it's just as big an issue as climate change, if not bigger, because it's killing millions of people now and will kill millions more as these corporations move into rapidly developing nations.

It's a scandal and nobody is doing anything about it because of the $ involved.

Incidentally, I was racing triathlon in the US so I can say there are also some very fit people there too!

What's the situation like in Sweden, VegaLi? Have you also given in to the junk food industry?

I agree, Itīs really a scandal. And Sweden is not far behind.
    I read somewhere that todays children is the first generation that will die before their parents. And today more people die from deseases caused by obesity, than starvation.
    I find no words.....

I'm sure i read that Scotland has just overtaken the US in obesity in under 12's!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

It depends where you are in the state. Southern states are pretty bad. I don't see many obese people in NYC because everyone walks everywhere and is concerned with body image. In the south though, all you find are fried food in huge quantity.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I have a feeling obesity at this point is pretty much the same everywhere.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I watch "you are what you eat" all the time on the BBC its actually my favorite show, and let me just say, looks like there are quite a few obese people Europe too.

Quote missbettie View Post
    I watch "you are what you eat" all the time on the BBC its actually my favorite show, and let me just say, looks like there are quite a few obese people Europe too.
    Of course it is!! Never said otherwise.....
    What you here about USA though, is that itīs "the fattest country in the world" and so on, not just in Sweden; everywhere.
    My question simply was if you Americans see (register, understand???) it like that? As I wrote, I donīt know the real truth. I have never been there, thats why I ask.

I disagree, i think we are all equally pudgy. I live in land of the fake and vain though (southern california) I hear the maryland is pretty chubby. I almost want to say it varies state to state...kinda like how Dia said the southern states tend to be fatter because of the fried food. Its interesting because our diversity state to state and even city to city, we all have different staples of food, like here, we eat Mexican food like crazy, and a lot of tradional southern food, like for example from south carolina comfort food is craaaazy fatty because its mostly fried and covered in some sort of gravy. but delicious

THEN you get the states that are farming states, where your family owns and works on farms like i don't know maybe Montana? and there you have people working their asses off literally and getting a lot of excercise.

I don't know if we are necessarily the fatest country because you would have to really do a crazy poll, and everything is always changing, but i know for sure we definately are not the thinnest. lol

Buddha Belly

I don't know if we are necessarily the fattest country because you would have to really do a crazy poll, and everything is always changing, but i know for sure we definately are not the thinnest. lol
    I always thought that was a sweeping statement when it is on the news. The US is so vast and varied that they could never make a proper assessment of national size.

though i do have to say, I work with a very slender, tiny Swedish women, and she is pretty disgusted with how we eat here ( i really really love her too, i don't know if its just her or if its because she wasn't born American, but she is soooo blunt and perfect, look how i've been saying chubby, she will just straight up say someone is fat like there isn't anything wrong with it, and IMO there really isn't, tact is kinda nice though, but if all we are is tactful about people's weight issues then how are they ever going to learn and get healthier? It really isn't helping anyone *I hope I'm not offending anyone, and if I am i'm extremely sorry...). Maybe you guys are lucky and just have a better grasp on how to treat your body?

I know personally, my whole family has struggled with our weight and I should probably try to lose a few pounds but...I love me some food

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    I always thought that was a sweeping statement when it is on the news. The US is so vast and varied that they could never make a proper assessment of national size.
    i agree. Why is everyone always picking on the US? I never hear on the news anything bad about the UK.

Buddha Belly

Mainly because the UK is perfect.

Boston in Lincolnshire is usually acknowledged as one of the fattest in Europe, 31% clinically obese.

The way numbers are configured are usually done by medical professionals. In the UK everyone sees the Dr for free so attends for medicals and such like.
    How many USA'ers (something new I'm starting) see the doctor for the medical tests where results for obesity are fed in to?
    Skewed figures?

^ that i have noooo idea i'll try looking around.

Buddha Belly

It would take too long, if it's not on wikipedia

Mexico's catching up.
    An interesting read here!

September 2, 2009 by Jennifer Brandt
    Filed under Health

MERIDA, Mexico -– In less than a generation, Mexicans have gone from a nation of relatively healthy people to a nation confronting an unprecedented health crisis: morbid obesity. The culprit? The NAFTA diet. Before the implementation of the North American Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA, in 1994, Mexicans had a wholesome diet consisting of beans, tortillas, chicken and fruits and vegetables. These were prepared at home or in small restaurants called “fondas” (market stalls) by street vendors. Almost always, these meals were “slow food” -– soups, tacos, sauces and regional dishes were made from fresh ingredients, and prepared over the course of several hours. In the 15 years since NAFTA, however, Mexico has been “invaded” by globalized, highly processed foods served by such fast-food conglomerates as McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.
    The health crisis confronting Mexico is the rapid escalation in morbid obesity throughout society, affecting every demographic group in the nation, even the poorest. A survey by Mexico’s health ministry revealed that one in four Mexican children between the ages of five and 11 is morbidly obese. In a recent study, “Obesity: The Epidemic of the 21st Century,” health researcher Federico Siguero argues that “obesity is the most frequent illness among (Mexican) children, followed by diabetes. “If this trend continues, there will be no government (administration) that will have the resources to treat all of the obese (Mexicans), who will suffer from diabetes, hypertension or another complication,” he stated. This is reaffirmed by the World Health Organization (WHO), which now labels Mexico the nation with the second highest incidence of morbid obesity in the world, behind the United States. “Risk factors such as being overweight and obesity have increased (in Mexico) in all groups of society, mainly in urban areas, affecting 51.8 percent of women between the ages of 12 and 49 (60 percent in the northern part of the country) and 5.5 percent of children under five,” the WHO reported in its current country profile for Mexico.

The full article can be found here!
    http://news.newamericamedia.org/news...0cb5ae7052b2de

I agree with you!
    Usa is very powerful, in many ways, and I think the whole world takes after you (many wonīt admit it though), in good and in bad ways!
    In Sweden we are still eating a lot of "typical swedish" food, and now itīs very mixed up with burgers, fries, pizza etc. If youīre born in Sweden, you usually grow up on food like potatoes, meat and some vegetables (quite "clean" food except for the meat.... at least in my generation! kids today eat a lot of fastfood though compared to oldies like me...), maybe thatīs why Swedes who imigrated to USA react on the eating habits? We are just not used to them from the beginning.

Iīm not "picking" on the US, Iīm just curious of your oppinion!

(sorry for my bad english spelling and grammar)

Quote gogs67 View Post
    In less than a generation, Mexicans have gone from a nation of relatively healthy people to a nation confronting an unprecedented health crisis: morbid obesity. The culprit? The NAFTA diet. Before the implementation of the North American Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA, in 1994, Mexicans had a wholesome diet consisting of beans, tortillas, chicken and fruits and vegetables. These were prepared at home or in small restaurants called “fondas” (market stalls) by street vendors. Almost always, these meals were “slow food” -– soups, tacos, sauces and regional dishes were made from fresh ingredients, and prepared over the course of several hours. In the 15 years since NAFTA, however, Mexico has been “invaded” by globalized, highly processed foods served by such fast-food conglomerates as McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.
    Exactly my point!

well i guess since we are the country that started the whole fast food revolution...its pretty disgusting.

No worries VegaLi, i know you weren't picking on the US, i was joking.

okay so this is from the CDC (center for disease control)

During the past 20 years there has been a dramatic increase in obesity in the United States. In 2008, only one state (Colorado) had a prevalence of obesity less than 20%. Thirty-two states had a prevalence equal to or greater than 25%; six of these states (Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia ) had a prevalence of obesity equal to or greater than 30%.

More than one-third of US adults were obese in 2005-2006. This includes 33.3% of men and 35.3% of women.

Among obese adults approimately two-thirds have been told by a health care provider that they are overweight.

Over 34% of adults aged 20 years and older are obese, but there has been no significant change in the prevalence since 03-04. The increasing trend in obesity over the last 25 years is a result of a shift in the entire BMI distribution and an increase in the prevalence of those who are extremely obese. In addition, disparities continue to exist.

Well so maybe we are the fattest nation. lol...well really no laughing matter...which is why i'm studying to be a dietician. Hopefully I'll be able to focus on children to change the way the future America eats.

It really depends on where in the USA we are talking about. Here in LA women are usually very thin and health obsessed. I feel almost on the chunkier side with my 123 Ibs. I don't really care, but I can see how this city can affect someone with body issues. My husband just came back from 6 weeks in Iowa and sad he had never seen so many overweight people in his life.

I had some visitors from Europe who expected to see a lot of obesity here, but were surprised to see that it was on the opposite end in LA. And as someone already mentioned, there's not ONE American food culture but many. I've never seen so much healthy food as in California.... some argue that it's way better than many places in Europe. Salad itself is considered a meal here and they have some AMAZING ones!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

which is why i'm studying to be a dietician. Hopefully I'll be able to focus on children to change the way the future America eats.
    Dietitians unite!!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote starlight View Post
    I blame the food and drinks industries which are literally killing people with heart disease, diabetes, stroke etc.
    Sadly, this is true. In a neverending quest to increase sales and profits, the food industry has used "flavor enhancers," like MSG, that literally affect the way people think and make them eat more. The result, in the end, is obesity. While it is tempting to blame fast food and dairy products, and these certainly do play a role, any cause to reduce obesity rates is unfortunately lost if these "flavor enhancers" are ignored. These flavor enhancers are especially prevalent in the U.S.

With that said, any stereotype about Americans ignores the variability that exists among regions. I have seen, within my own state, one town where most people are overweight and another where almost no one is.
    When people finally realize that their appetite for animals is upsetting the planet's balance, will they change, or even care?

heres whats really sad... $1-$3 hamburger from a fast food giant. Or buying all your healthy goods at the grocery store. Whats easier on the enviorment, what took less natural resources to produce? Whats cheaper? and no one believes they have the time to cook a meal anymore.

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post
    $1-$3 hamburger from a fast food giant.
    That's a good point, and I see that all the time ~ fast food joints advertising their $2 Deal for whatever, and it's never anything healthy. This makes it so easy to pull into the Drive Thru on the way home from work instead of going home and attempting to make a proper dinner with better (and sometimes more expensive, depending on how you shop) ingredients.

To answer your original question, VegaLi, I've seen a mix of both. In our area, we have plenty of obese people. We also have many who are in shape, and I see walkers, joggers, and cyclists all the time. Our local Whole Foods stores and farmers markets are always crowded, so perhaps things are improving slowly.

Peta have recently put up these billboards in Glasgow. Do you think it would work Stateside?

Yes I also think that people get more and more aware of their health. But itīs those who really needs the help to change their lifestyles that are the hardest to reach out to. I can see that especially at my job as a heath-consultant. It also seems to be either or in my opinion.... Either people are health-freaks or theyīre the opposite; obese. Of course there are "in-between-people" aswell, but it seems to me itīs mostly all or nothing.

99% of our clients are very well aware of how they should eat and live to be healthier and happier, there is no lack of knowledge. Itīs the habits and way of thinking that has to change, and many times it has gone soo far that the client has lost control. Itīs like an addiction. And thats where the real hard work begins.....

Everyone can loose weight, itīs to keep the new habits that is the great challenge.

^ Sorry to put a dampener on yer optimism but here is an interesting piece from one of George Monbiots blogs, one which i really agree with

Our resistance to change is not peculiar to environmental issues. Even when confronted by crisis, we try to stick to the script. As the coaching theorist David Rock and the research psychiatrist Jeffrey Schwartz note, just one in nine people who have had coronary bypass surgery take their doctor’s advice to lose weight and exercise more(3). Part of the problem, they show, is that confronting change means making use of parts of the brain which require more energy to engage.

When you drive along familiar roads, for example, the brain’s basal ganglia function as a kind of autopilot, performing routine functions without the need for conscious thought. When you go abroad, and have to drive on the other side of the road, you must make use of the prefrontal cortex, which burns more energy than the basal ganglia. We perceive high levels of energy use much as we perceive pain. For good biological reasons we seek to avoid them. We engage with change only when we have to.

That’s a horribly simplified account of some very complex processes, but you get the general idea. Change is pain, a change for the worse is double pain. We pretend it’s not there, up to – often beyond – the point at which it starts hammering on the door

Basically not many people will make a drastic lifestyle adaptation unless it is absolutely necessary, and even then , it's not guaranteed, even when all the options are laid out before them!

Edit: In fact you wernae actually being that optimistic, lol, i mis read yer post!

Quote VegaLi View Post
    Yes I also think that people get more and more aware of their health. But itīs those who really needs the help to change their lifestyles that are the hardest to reach out to. I can see that especially at my job as a heath-consultant. It also seems to be either or in my opinion.... Either people are health-freaks or theyīre the opposite; obese. Of course there are "in-between-people" aswell, but it seems to me itīs mostly all or nothing.

99% of our clients are very well aware of how they should eat and live to be healthier and happier, there is no lack of knowledge. Itīs the habits and way of thinking that has to change, and many times it has gone soo far that the client has lost control. Itīs like an addiction. And thats where the real hard work begins.....

Everyone can loose weight, itīs to keep the new habits that is the great challenge.
    What you wrote is also true for US and probably other western countries as well at this point - it's a lot all or nothing. Either you're obese or extremely thin. I'm neither, and don't really gain or lose much, but not many I see are like this. The ideal is to be super thin and fit, and if that is not achieved, the thinking seem to be why bother at all. Why is medium not good anymore? what happened?....

Totally agree!! Where did "lagom" go???
    (LAGOM is a swedish word that pretty much sums it all.... there is no direct translate, but "medium" works just fine )

Quote kriz View Post
    The ideal is to be super thin and fit, and if that is not achieved, the thinking seem to be why bother at all?... Why is medium not good anymore? what happened?....
    I agree too!

I'm not stick thin anymore ~ had to stop eating to achieve that ~ but I'm in good shape. I have 2 girls, one of whom is 14 and at the age where she is painfully aware of how much people judge each others' bodies, and I hope I'm setting a good example for them by eating well and exercising without being obsessed over my dress size. I tell them, "You want a strong body. Strong muscles, bones, and heart. Everything else will fall into place." I'm happy at 5'7", size 8/10. I'd rather be able to lift heavy objects and exert myself without gasping for air than squeeze into a size 4/6 pair of jeans.

So far, it seems to be having a reasonably positive effect. My 14 y/o has been exercising for a couple of years now, and she just started weight training. (We have a friendly bench press competition going on. )

The 10 y/o still gets exercise by chasing butterflies in the backyard. <3

I totally get "lagom"... it's such a great Swedish term (even though it's so despised among swedes) and I think it could really help a lot of people right now. If we put the bar too high, we are much more prone to go from one extreme to the other - it becomes impossible to keep up with anything and the defeat feels so much worse, which in return often results in an emotional eating roller coster. Nothing wrong with a nice ripped body, but for most people this is impossible to keep up with in a busy life and "lagom" is more realistic long term.

Quote Slowly I Awake View Post
    I agree too!

I'm not stick thin anymore ~ had to stop eating to achieve that ~ but I'm in good shape. I have 2 girls, one of whom is 14 and at the age where she is painfully aware of how much people judge each others' bodies, and I hope I'm setting a good example for them by eating well and exercising without being obsessed over my dress size. I tell them, "You want a strong body. Strong muscles, bones, and heart. Everything else will fall into place." I'm happy at 5'7", size 8/10. I'd rather be able to lift heavy objects and exert myself without gasping for air than squeeze into a size 4/6 pair of jeans.
    Sounds like you are setting a great example! I think the teenage years are so formative and it's so important to have a positive "body role model".

Quote Slowly I Awake View Post
    I see that all the time ~ fast food joints advertising their $2 Deal for whatever, and it's never anything healthy.
    Unfortunately one hardly ever sees a big sign saying "fresh fruit, only $0.10".

I'm hesitant to generalize my countrymen's weight. I gain nothing from this sort of speculation other than a bit of insult and shame, despite whether or not I comply with the data on an individual level. (I'm very petite, 5'0" & 105lbs) An earlier post mentioned Maryland as being one of the heavier states (I'm from MD) and sure, we've got our share of fatties, but I don't know if we're among the fattest. I suppose it could be true; however, I've noticed that many Americans have not only adapted to the title of "fattest country" but will wear it as some deranged badge of honor. It horrifies me!

i'm not really sure anyone really wears it as a badge of honor, i just feel like we don't have the programs to properly educate people about food and their health. being fat has become the norm. and its becoming acceptable, which isn't healthy.

There is nothing wrong with being a healthy size, and not everyone is meant to be a size 6, but for the people whose health is being affected because of their weight...

IMO i don't understand why there are warnings of cancer on cigarette packages but not on fatty processed foods, fast food chains, and saturated fats...don't cigarettes and being overweight cause some of the same diseases and illinesses?

i'm not really sure anyone really wears it as a badge of honor
    If you've never met the type of person who's "round and proud!" I envy you.

I don't think being fat is a norm per say, simply because in the core of everyone's logic should stand the untestable truth that being overweight/obese is not good for the body. Of course, the "round and proud" complex I mean to exemplify can shadow that logic, just like how smokers will buy cigarettes despite the toxic warning labels.

Quote starlight View Post
    Unfortunately one hardly ever sees a big sign saying "fresh fruit, only $0.10".
    Exactly. I see double cheeseburgers on sale for $2 and bell peppers at $3.69 a pound.

Now, there are ways around that specific bell pepper issue, but I point it out because I think it illustrates how tempting it is to just buy a couple of burgers rather than hunt down cheaper peppers and figure out how to use them.

IMO i don't understand why there are warnings of cancer on cigarette packages but not on fatty processed foods, fast food chains, and saturated fats...don't cigarettes and being overweight cause some of the same diseases and illinesses?
    YES! I do feel think we will one day get to that point where there will be warnings on food. All it's take is enough law suits from people that get these conditions suing there junk food company of choice because they "didn't know"
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote DiaShel View Post
    YES! I do feel think we will one day get to that point where there will be warnings on food. All it's take is enough law suits from people that get these conditions suing there junk food company of choice because they "didn't know"
    From wikipedia ..

"Super Size Me is a 2004 documentary film directed by and starring Morgan Spurlock, an American independent filmmaker. Spurlock's film follows a 30-day time period (February to beginning of March 2003) during which he eats only McDonald's food. The film documents this lifestyle's drastic effects on Spurlock's physical and psychological well-being, and explores the fast food industry's corporate influence, including how it encourages poor nutrition for its own profit."

and

"... the corresponding lawsuit brought against McDonald's on behalf of two overweight girls, who, it was alleged, became obese as a result of eating McDonald's food. ... the lawsuit against McDonald's failed (and subsequently many state legislatures have legislated against product liability actions against producers and distributors of "fast food") ..."

That is a really good point. I think the reason for the discrepancy is that food, even unhealthy food, is seen as a necessity, while cigarettes are seen as a recreational device. Maybe when people realize that fatty processed foods are no more essential than cigarettes, and similarly harmful, this will change.
    When people finally realize that their appetite for animals is upsetting the planet's balance, will they change, or even care?

Regarding warning labels on fast food and such, the food industry is simply too powerful. They donate tons of money to campaigns and get thanked with legislative action that is favorable to them.

My favorite is the BGH story and how Monsanto fights to keep BGH-free dairies from labeling what's NOT in their milk.

Quote scarlet begonias View Post
    If you've never met the type of person who's "round and proud!" I envy you.

You're right you're right. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with being big, but once it starts to affect your health...

Yes, you should always be happy with your body, you should love your body, and you should love your size. But you should also have enough respect for yourself, to take proper care of it, which means....eating healthy! Not puting too much strain on your organs, no more flipping processed chemicals that some how we have decided is food, its ridiculous.

I don't know...this is a weird topic. lol

I also like how McDonals donates money to cancer charities....

you should always be happy with your body, you should love your body, and you should love your size.

Sorry but I disagree.

If you were to say that people should have a healthy ammount of love and respect for themselves, I would agree.

If you were to say that people should not be discrimiated against or criticised for the way they look, I would also agree.

But to suggest a person should love being fat and unhealthy - this is perverse.

I've never met anyone who's fat and truly happy being that way, despite what they may say to protect themselves from the prejudices of others.

^ if you would read what i said a little more carefully I didn't say that you should love being fat and unhealthy.

I said the opposite really.

^ if you would read what i said a little more carefully I didn't say that you should love being fat and unhealthy.

I said the opposite really.
    Then I apologise for misinterpreting.

Yes, you should always be happy with your body, you should love your body, and you should love your size. But you should also have enough respect for yourself, to take proper care of it, which means....eating healthy! Not puting too much strain on your organs, no more flipping processed chemicals that some how we have decided is food, its ridiculous.
    QTF

Suffering from Body Dismorphic Disorder, I know the importance of loving your body.

I about 10 years being a larger lady (a UK size 16ish) but still with the OK limits for health. I didn't eat the best diet, but kinda thought there wasn't much point because I was 'fat anyway'

Then I spent about a year critically underweight to the point that I got very ill, and now I'm almost back up to being a healthy weight.

You need to love your body, and as we all know, loving something or someone means treating it with respect and care... you can't do that if you are slowly poisoning yourself with what you eat.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

sorry, i think i sounded a bit rude and i didn't mean too.

I do agree with you, people that are fine with being obese and struggling to do simple tasks because they are so out of shape, and then are teaching their kids the same habits...this is something that irks me the most.

but what i meant was, there are many different shapes and sizes in the world. I'm not a very skinny person, but i'm still in shape and still healthy, and i'm not considered overweight. I just hope people like me can learn to love their bodies and continue to treat them right.

your body is all you have, its your temple, you should worship it and take care of it.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post

You need to love your body, and as we all know, loving something or someone means treating it with respect and care... you can't do that if you are slowly poisoning yourself with what you eat.
    YES! thats what i meant, sorry i'm not being very articulate.

I'm sorry you've had to go through that...I'm glad you're doing better now.