Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Obesity in U.S.

Default Re: Obesity in U.S.

Quote starlight View Post
    From wikipedia ..

"Super Size Me is a 2004 documentary film directed by and starring Morgan Spurlock, an American independent filmmaker. Spurlock's film follows a 30-day time period (February to beginning of March 2003) during which he eats only McDonald's food. The film documents this lifestyle's drastic effects on Spurlock's physical and psychological well-being, and explores the fast food industry's corporate influence, including how it encourages poor nutrition for its own profit."

and

"... the corresponding lawsuit brought against McDonald's on behalf of two overweight girls, who, it was alleged, became obese as a result of eating McDonald's food. ... the lawsuit against McDonald's failed (and subsequently many state legislatures have legislated against product liability actions against producers and distributors of "fast food") ..."
    Oh yes, I remember hearing something about that somewhere but couldn't place it. Thanks.

Quote Slowly I Awake View Post
    Regarding warning labels on fast food and such, the food industry is simply too powerful. They donate tons of money to campaigns and get thanked with legislative action that is favorable to them.
    I don't know though. Aren't cigrette companies powerful too? I don't think it'll be too soon, but I think eventually that things may turn that way.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I live in the most obese state in the USA, WestVirginia and I believe its because of the way everyone was brought up to hunt and eat meat, eat garbage, and frequent fast food resturaunts. Not to mention the gallons of beer most of my neighbors swill down a day . before I returned to the vegan straight edge life I was consuming a twelve pack of beer a day and eating pure garbage...I gained alot of weight.

I do know what you mean when you say that what you see of the U.S., or preconceived notions, whatever, do occur. All the weight-loss surgeries, etc.; all the obesity shows, etc.

I'm in Texas and the first thing that all (business) visitors want to do is buy cowboy boots and eat barbeque.

(on a nice note, though, my impression of Sweden is that everyone is beautiful! Actually, one of my friends went to Sweden and said that everyone is gorgeous)

Quote janetc View Post
    (on a nice note, though, my impression of Sweden is that everyone is beautiful! Actually, one of my friends went to Sweden and said that everyone is gorgeous)
    Yeh, i often wonder how difficult it must be in Sweden if you arn't drop dead gorgeous!!!

Although, saying that, looking at maself and everyone i know in Scotland i think the vikings just dropped all their dodgy genes off here when they were over pillaging 1000 years ago!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Yeh, i often wonder how difficult it must be in Sweden if you arn't drop dead gorgeous!!!

Although, saying that, looking at maself and everyone i know in Scotland i think the vikings just dropped all their dodgy genes off here when they were over pillaging 1000 years ago!
    Oi!!!

Quote gogs67 View Post

Haha! Thatīs probably right
    I donīt eat anything with a face.

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Oi!!!
    Obviously there's a fortunate few that got 6 numbers and the bonus ball in the aesthetic genetics department, think yerself lucky, lol!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I just went to a talk about nutrition and in the US vegans for the only group of people not overweight, on average. Even vegetarians are overweight.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote missbettie View Post
    I have a feeling obesity at this point is pretty much the same everywhere.
    aka 'globesity'.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote starlight View Post
    From wikipedia ..

"Super Size Me is a 2004 documentary film directed by and starring Morgan Spurlock, an American independent filmmaker. Spurlock's film follows a 30-day time period (February to beginning of March 2003) during which he eats only McDonald's food. The film documents this lifestyle's drastic effects on Spurlock's physical and psychological well-being, and explores the fast food industry's corporate influence, including how it encourages poor nutrition for its own profit."
    I nearly puked when watching that fillum.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I disagree, i think we are all equally pudgy. I live in land of the fake and vain though (southern california) I hear the maryland is pretty chubby. I almost want to say it varies state to state...kinda like how Dia said the southern states tend to be fatter because of the fried food. Its interesting because our diversity state to state and even city to city, we all have different staples of food, like here, we eat Mexican food like crazy, and a lot of tradional southern food, like for example from south carolina comfort food is craaaazy fatty because its mostly fried and covered in some sort of gravy. but delicious

THEN you get the states that are farming states, where your family owns and works on farms like i don't know maybe Montana? and there you have people working their asses off literally and getting a lot of excercise.

I don't know if we are necessarily the fatest country because you would have to really do a crazy poll, and everything is always changing, but i know for sure we definately are not the thinnest. lol
    I live in St. Mary's County in Southern Maryland, and it's a major farming area. Chubby is one Hell of an understatement. I'm honestly disgusted by the state that I see people have let themselves get to when I go to Wal-Mart, and shopping carts at the grocery store are revolting. I don't get how so many people can have so little respect for their bodies. They have to live with it. Ick.

Then there's the occasional eating disorder, regular exerciser, and joggers. Only about half the joggers I see in my neighborhood are actually fit. The rest jog for a week and then disappear from the streets, I suppose to return to their beloved television sets and microwave meatloaf.

Sorry for the jaded rant, but I hate the mentality of the region I live in. Doesn't help that we have the highest number of liquor stores per capita in the United States and are famous for our 10 oz Bud Lights and food animals from the Chesapeake Bay. It's amazing we don't still have Fisteria in the water from the runoff from the cow farms.

eep! It was actually my mom that told me that Maryland had a lot of overweight people, as she goes out there pretty often...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

eep! It was actually my mom that told me that Maryland had a lot of overweight people, as she goes out there pretty often...
    She's right. What area does she go to?

A good local forum to hit up for local events, reviews, and other information (very active, and entertaining even) is forums.somd.com. The main site www.somd.com has some good classifieds if she's over there for extended periods or is ever looking for work over there.

Beware though, there are a lot of militant republicans in the Politics sub-forum though. I just stay out of that section. And Religion for that matter. It can get ugly.

^ I think she just goes to Baltimore, but its just to visit some family, i hope she doesn't plan on moving out there. thanks for the info!!!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."