Thread: Living in Oslo

Default Living in Oslo

I lived in Oslo 20 years ago, and I'm sure the city have changed since then.
    Do you live in Oslo or have an opinion on how it is to live there these day? I would love to get other peoples input. I hear so many negatives things about crimes, rudeness, high real estate prices etc. I also go for the occasional visit every few years, but it's not enough to really get an accurate picture of the city.

Also, how do you think I would do there as a vegan compared to the rest of the country? And lastly, what other part of Norway (if any) would you recommend to live and why?... Thanks.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Default Re: Living in Oslo

Hei.

I live in Oslo now. I like it here
    I read in the newspaper the other day: Oslo er ikke stygg det er en stemning. And I think the athomsphere has not changed a lot.

Crime worries me a bit. But only because the news write about it. I still feel safe in oslo. I havent experienced much rudeness, hah.I think its much easier to be vegan here (much more options) compared to for example sunnmøre.

So you thinking about moving to oslo again?

Glossgirl, I didn't realize that you live in Oslo and you changed your avatar, so I didn't see it was you. That's so cool! I'm thinking about moving to Oslo although it's WAY overpriced and I'm not sure I'll be able to live in the area of my liking... Which area would your recommend? If I won't be able to afford a semi-nice area, I'd rather go to a smaller coastal town...

The crime rate in Oslo really worries me... and this is from someone who has lived in one of the biggest cities in US for ages and never felt unsafe. I think it's probably more noticeable because it's such a small city. Reading Norwegian evening papers (tabloids) online everyday doesn't help either.

Hi, I send you a pm.

Hi Kriz,

Oslo is nice, but expensive, but that's true for London, Copenhagen etc as well... While being vegan is quite easy in lots of Norwegian towns/cities, Oslo has the best selection of places to eat and places to buy - anything. Depending on what you're going to do in Norway, there may be other nice options as well, but Oslo is great. You can try eg. www.finn.no if you want to look for places to stay.

Norway and the local media are somehow taken by surprise by the increased crime rate, and journalists here seem to love to write about crime. Like in all other cities, there are areas that are safer than others, and since Oslo is quite small (5-600 000 people) you're never very far away from the rest of the city. Let me know if you have any specific questions...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Thank you guys so much, I'll PM both of you!