In the newspapers recently there has been alot of coverage about racial tension in Luton, my home town, and those of us who are not of the far right in thinking have decided to create a counter movement. This is a demo report emailed to me by a friend. I'm not in the picture but my girlfriend is. (She is the one that looks like she has a tree growing out of her head!)

The picture above tells it all. A great day in Luton town centre in which anti-racist activists gave out the clear message that far-right groups, whatever they choose to call themselves, are not welcome. And that message was gladly received by shoppers and strollers in the town centre, many of whom stopped to chat and say how glad they were that we doing this. This included many young people from the town, some of whom came up from the Bury Park area to talk to UAF and LMHR people distributing leaflets. Towards the end of the morning we were joined by councillors and community leaders from Bury Park who talked with us about how we can work together in the future to defeat the far right and to promote good community relations in Luton. The planned UAF conference in Bury Park on October 31st is our next, major focal point.
Many thanks to everyone in UAF and LMHR who have worked so hard to make this a success. Thanks too, to a number of people who worked quietly behind the scenes with police, community workers and council officials to ensure that the right messages were being heard in the build up to this event.
No-one is foolish enough to pretend that this is the end of the story – but what we have built through our actions is a solid base with a whole range of people with differing beliefs and differing outlooks that will help us to defeat the BNP and their boot boys in the coming months up to the General Election.