Thread: is a plant-based diet a cure for cancer?

Default is a plant-based diet a cure for cancer?

Apologies if this article has been posted elsewhere.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: is a plant-based diet a cure for cancer?

^That's a very interesting article. I don't know why but what the Dr. said about casein shocked me. I mean out of everything else he really singled that out.

I've always liked to think that a plant-based diet could prevent cancer but hearing that there is ongoing evidence to support a cure is even more encouraging.

Thanks for posting it.

A friend of mine who had cancer adopted a plant-based diet for several years, but it didn't cure her Lifestyle certainly seems to be important, but I think this sort of article overstates the case rather, and can also make people feel that they are to blame for their illness.

Thanks for posting the link, David. I like Campbell and am always interested in hearing what he has to say.

Quote harpy View Post
    A friend of mine who had cancer adopted a plant-based diet for several years, but it didn't cure her Lifestyle certainly seems to be important, but I think this sort of article overstates the case rather, and can also make people feel that they are to blame for their illness.
    *nods* That's my fear.

I definitely support more research in this area, but the last thing I want to hear is how those who suffer from cancer somehow brought it upon themselves. What a horrible thought.

I'm sorry to hear of your friend, Harpy.

^harpy, I'm very sorry about your friend.

Thanks; interestingly after her initial diagnosis her docs advised her to steer clear of meat and dairy produce (and she never ate fish or eggs much anyway). I suppose it may have prolonged her life a bit, who knows?

phact0rri

I have a vegan friend who had cancer on his face, he just got home yesterday. So I suspect yeah, its a good preventive thing but its not a guaranteed thing.

There could be so many causes of cancer; diet can only affect so much I suppose. There's stuff whizzing around in the atmosphere that we can't see, let alone change.

There's environmental pollution generally, from vehicles and even stuff in your home. And look at the people of Bhopal, after all this time.

I remember reading a story about some nuclear test site in America, where later a film was made; many of the participants in the film went on to die of cancer, coincidentally.

And is there any clear idea of what the 'fallout' (!) from Chernobyl will be, over time?

I believe a decent plant-based diet would help anyone have a healthier life - but something has to get you in the end. There's little money to be made from those following a vegan diet. If there was, everyone would be on one.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like apple sauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.
    - Marx

Here are two other articles about the same topic:
    Cancer Fighting Foods/Spices
    Cancer Development Linked to Food We Eat
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

Quote Korn View Post

Here are two other articles about the same topic:
    Cancer Fighting Foods/Spices
    Cancer Development Linked to Food We Eat
    The mushroom reishi is considered to exhibit strong anticancer properties.

Am just reading "The China Study" 2006 by Campbell and it cites several studies that point to a low fat (10% or so), high carb, higher vitamin C, 30-35 grams of fiber type diet as being the answer to pretty much eliminating a cause for cancer or reoccurring cancer. The book also states that those who eat animal protein run the risk of becoming more prone to getting cancer or having it return. 47% of men will get it and 38% of women (book was written in 2006).

Here's a new (and large) study on the link between vegetarian diets and cancer in a low-risk population:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23169929
    It claims that "dietary factors account for at least 30% of all cancers in Western countries", and that "when analyzing the association of specific vegetarian dietary patterns, vegan diets showed statistically significant protection for overall cancer incidence".

Another article I saw recently suggested a 10% reduction in cancer risk for people on a vegan diet. According to this article, recent U.N. organized surveys performed in multiple countries have found the average percentage of people who suffer from some sort of cancer is 31%.

We are circa 7 billion people on this planet now. If 31% of these people have some sort of cancer, that's 2.17 billion humans. If only 5% of these cases could have been avoided by living on a plant based diet, that would be more than 100 million people *not* having cancer as a result of avoiding animal products, and a much higher number of fish, chicken etc. which would not have suffered/been killed in order to become food for humans.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I am in agreement with this aswel as I have my own business in health and wellness industry which is vegan approved and all made from plants/fruits and vegetables which is proven to reduce the chances of cancer compared to the harmful ingredients used in 90% of products on the shelf and available. So I 100% believe that being vegan and only using vegan approved products are they way forward, unfortunately not everyone is willing to take the time to listen xx

Quote Korn View Post
    Here's a new (and large) study on the link between vegetarian diets and cancer in a low-risk population:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23169929
    It claims that "dietary factors account for at least 30% of all cancers in Western countries", and that "when analyzing the association of specific vegetarian dietary patterns, vegan diets showed statistically significant protection for overall cancer incidence".

Another article I saw recently suggested a 10% reduction in cancer risk for people on a vegan diet. According to this article, recent U.N. organized surveys performed in multiple countries have found the average percentage of people who suffer from some sort of cancer is 31%.

We are circa 7 billion people on this planet now. If 31% of these people have some sort of cancer, that's 2.17 billion humans. If only 5% of these cases could have been avoided by living on a plant based diet, that would be more than 100 million people *not* having cancer as a result of avoiding animal products, and a much higher number of fish, chicken etc. which would not have suffered/been killed in order to become food for humans.

Quote DavidT View Post
    There could be so many causes of cancer; diet can only affect so much I suppose. There's stuff whizzing around in the atmosphere that we can't see, let alone change.

There's environmental pollution generally, from vehicles and even stuff in your home. And look at the people of Bhopal, after all this time.

I remember reading a story about some nuclear test site in America, where later a film was made; many of the participants in the film went on to die of cancer, coincidentally.

And is there any clear idea of what the 'fallout' (!) from Chernobyl will be, over time?

I believe a decent plant-based diet would help anyone have a healthier life - but something has to get you in the end. There's little money to be made from those following a vegan diet. If there was, everyone would be on one.
    exactly my thoughts.