Thread: Walmart behaving unethically, again...

Default Walmart behaving unethically, again...

I'm on a lot of email lists, and many of them send me stuff about Walmart regularly. Well, today I just got one more story of Walmart's messed up behavior. This email "broke the camels back", so I'm forwarding it to ya'll to comment and/or action.

Here's the email I got today:

Quote momsrising.democracyinaction.org
    Dear Rodolfo,

One of the best ways to stop the spread of any flu (like H1N1) is for sick people to stay home1, but that's a problem if you work at Wal-Mart.

The New York Times just reported that, "At Wal-Mart, when employees miss one or more days because of illness or other reasons, they generally get a demerit point. Once employees obtain four points over a six-month period, they begin receiving warnings that can lead to dismissal." 2 That's right, calling in sick gets you a demerit at Wal-Mart.

We think the real demerits should go to Wal-Mart for their sick days policy: It's bad for their employees, customers, and for public health.

Give Wal-Mart a "Demerit Badge" by signing our petition today! We'll deliver your signatures, along with real Demerit Badges, to Wal-Mart executives to call them out for their bad sick days policies.

http://momsrising.democracyinaction....action_KEY=935

* As kids, many of us got merit badges for doing good things, like learning a new skill or helping others. You can give Wal-Mart a DE-merit Badge today for doing just the opposite -- hurting others with their bad policies. Forward this email to your friends NOW so they can send a DE-merit Badge too!

Punishing employees for taking sick days is backward and bad for public health. It has the result of pressuring sick Wal-Mart employees to come to work, thereby putting other employees and Wal-Mart's millions of customers at risk. As one Wal-Mart employee said in the New York Times article: "There are a lot of people who have swine flu right now who are going in because they worry about getting fired for having too many [demerit] points."

If we're serious about stopping the spread of the flu (and preventing all the costs associated with so many people getting sick), we need employers to step up and make sure their policies support employees making the right decision to stay home when they're sick. As one of the largest employers in the country, Wal-Mart's policies affect a large portion of our population. The way they handle the flu is has a huge impact on our nation's health and financial security.

Tell Wal-Mart to stop punishing employees for staying home when they're sick! Send them a Demerit Badge today!

http://momsrising.democracyinaction....action_KEY=935

Thanks!
    --Katie, Ariana, Julia, Mary, Kristin, Joan, Donna, Ashley, Dionna, Anita, Sarah, and the MomsRising.org Team

1. http://www.flu.gov
    2. "Lack of Paid Sick Days May Worsen Flu Pandemic" Steven Greenhouse, November 2, 2009 http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/03/bu...ef=todayspaper
    context is everything

Default Re: Walmart behaving unethically, again...

That's... different.

Though, it's either a (relatively) new policy, or not in practice in Canada. I worked at Walmart throughout university to help pay tuition, and nothing like that ever went on. I last worked there in 2006 or 2007.
    The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.

This really sucks. I posted it on my Facebookies.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Um... that'll encourage their shoppers (not!) ... go to Wal-Mart and get swne flu from the staff who can't take time off work.
    Wal-Mart FAIL.

While I agree it is a bad policy, I imagine Walmart do loads of 'bad' stuff that is equally deserving of "de-merit".

It wouldn't suprise me if they buy the cheap pig meat from intensive style farms that caused the swine flu in the first place.

If possible boycott the f*ckers. I think they own ASDA in the uk.

Walmart does quite a lot of "bad stuff".
    This is just one more in the face of the H1N1 pandemic.

As was said, Walmart FAIL!
    context is everything

That's ridiculous. But it's Walmart, so it doesn't surprise me. Glad I already avoid that store.

This is so why I don't shop there. I used to work in McDonalds inside of Walmart and I talked to a lot of employees. They always said they were treated like crap. My mom was fired because she used too many sick days even though she was in and out of the hospital. I think anyone who stands up for this POS company should watch "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices" very good movie.