Thread: Help :( I have lost my Vegan-ness

Default Help :( I have lost my Vegan-ness

Hi there everyone...

Here is my story, if you'll take time to read it. I am 23. I became Vegan overnight in July 2008 after reading some literature about world food distribution problems which lead me to reading about all the other amazing reasons to be Vegan, and so on. I was a happy Vegan for about six months, loved my lifestyle, ate fantastically, felt fantastic, annoyed the hell out of my family and looked great. I moved out of home to Melbourne (a huge change... from country to city) about six months later and since then have completely lapsed from the way I used to be. It has been about 9 months and I have been eating vegetarian, and meat every now and again. It's really depressing me. I know that being out of touch with the cause has been the biggest contributor - when I moved out of home I didn't have the internet anymore and stopped doing daily reading about Veganism etc. - and I have the internet again now so hopefully I'll get back on track.

Anyway. Does anyone have any tips for how to stay motivated? I have been trying for ages to go back. I feel like I've lost part of my identity.

Much love xoxoxoxo

Default Re: Help :( I have lost my Vegan-ness

I shouldn't fret, a lot of people seem to have a false start when they go vegan. You sound determined to stick with it this time so I'm sure you will.

If you have already reminded yourself of why you went vegan in the first place that will probably do the trick. Were there any particular problems you encountered that caused the lapses do you think? If so you could perhaps anticipate them. For example, some people find that they are tempted to eat non-vegan food when they're very hungry so if that applies to you you could start carrying a snack around with you for emergencies.

RubyDuby

I would try to stop seeing animals and their secretions as food. Keep in mind what is actually going into your mouth and what the animals had to go through to get there.

I think you already know you need to stay motivated... maybe get some stickers/magnets for your fridge, cupboards, car whatnot. Good luck! I hope you stick with it to stay true to yourself and for the animals!

eta: some quotes i stole from somewhere on the internet...

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I found Melbourne a very inspiring city to be vegan in... is that where you're living now? All the bars have soya milk, at least round the Smith Street area, loads of ethnic food bars and restaurants, and the Veggie Bar on the street whose name I can't remember...

Harpy and Ruby have given you some wonderful advice; all I can recommend really is to read about veganism, maybe try PeTA TV? That made me go vegan! , and hang in there

I like knowing when I go past a field of cows that I'm not contributing to their suffering... think about what affects you most and use that to help you.

Use the Force, Luke! (sorry, have been working too hard )

Best of luck, we're always here if you need any support.

Prawnil

I'd just suggest watching the available videos. Re-realise the trauma. Anyway, it sounds like you've re-gained Vegan-ness rather than lost it. Good going.

Quote Prawnil View Post
    I'd just suggest watching the available videos. Re-realise the trauma.
    *nods* That will definitely do it.

pavotrouge

Don't beat yourself up over it. Moving out is a huge step in your life, and sometimes, dealing with that requires that you concentrate on other things.

To be honest, I fell back to vegetarianism for 2-3 weeks before I came to and the first week I arrived in London- which is vegan-friendly for sure. Veganism just seemed such a very small issue compared to the changes going on in my life; and I've been vegan and an AR activist for almost 4 years, but just didn't think about it (ban + flame me now). The trauma videos and reading didn't do it for me. It was just a phase when veganism was wrong for me.

Have you met any vegans where you live now? They might encourage you again, as do the lovely folks on here I think.

Hi...

I am just getting ready for work so I can't write much back right now but thank you all so much, I'm feeling good about today and making a fresh start. I'm looking forward to a really good big salad for lunch mmmmmmm............ Will write back tonight

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    Have you met any vegans where you live now? They might encourage you again, as do the lovely folks on here I think.
    I was going to suggest this, too. If you could find a vegan meet-up group of some sort it might help you to meet fellow vegans--I know it definitely helped me! They can suggest vegan-friendly restaurants and also just offer support. I'm sure if you put your mind to it you can easily go back to being vegan. Don't be discouraged by the short lapse. Good luck!

And pavo--glad you're back to being vegan now!

Hmm.... This sounds really strange to me.....
    Isnīt veganism something you want to do? I mean, if you have to fight with yourself for sticking to it, then maybe you donīt have the "right" belief....?
    You gotta have the belief in what you do and how you live! You gotta really believe itīs the right thing to do, then itīs not such a challenge, then itīs just given. Otherwise it becomes a daily struggle.
    Veganism for me isnīt a diet to, for example, loose weight, veganism is a lifestyle. Itīs so much more than just food, itīs a way of thinking and living.
    I donīt eat anything with a face.

boatsteem1

When I read about the world, how everything works, from climate to animal's needs to rainforest devastation to people starving, I decided for myself that I would try to become vegetarian in 10 years and vegan in 20.

Within six months I went vegetarian and in a year it turned out that I became vegan (with some inspiration from a few other vegans that I got to know around that time). I had a brief break from being vegetarian a couple of months in but after that things turned out to be really easy.

Maybe you shouldn't pressure yourself into veganism? I kind of feel that if you realize that it's the thing for you and you take it easy then you'll have a much easier time making the change. I said to myself 'in ten years' and it turned out to be six months. If you pressure yourself then maybe you'll feel forced by it and it won't be a nice experience (more like regret, actually). If you give yourself time then maybe in time it'll work out the way you've hoped?

Take care!

Hi Tresu
    Dont beat yourself up too much about the lapse. Ive hit a few 'hurdles' along the way too-everybodys journey is different. Being in Melbourne you're in a great place to be a vegan -wish I still lived there (Im now in Brissy). And being on this forum will help as everyone is so lovely and supportive. Dont stress- you'll get there. Like some others have suggested, maybe try and get yourself into a meetup group (and buy yourself some great vegan cookbooks!).

I first went vegan in 2003 and had a massive relapse for three whole years (into vegetarianism) and finally went vegan in September 2006. Three years on from that and I've never looked back. As the others have said, don't look back - look forward!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Listen to: www.veganfreakradio.com
    Motivating for people like me, who don't know any vegans or just want to learn more about veganism

Hi Tresu! I know what you're saying. I think it really just depends on what's going on in your life at that moment in time. The reasons for being vegan will always be important and meaningful etc but if you've got worries or changes going on in your life it can really kick your enthusiasm for being vegan off track, and that's bound to make you think about why you're vegan at all or whether there's any point any more.

I think you probably feel being vegan is better (for whichever reasons are important to you) but you just need to try and get that motivation back again, and i reckon you should do simple things like choose one or two vegan food blogs and check them every two or three days for new recipes, look at all the new yummy food pictures and print off the recipes, read other people's comments too and get inspiration! Maybe try and make one new meal you've not made before every week, and also try and find out about local vegan-friendly campaign groups.

I do street stalls with groups in my neck of the woods and info stalls at green events etc and talking to the public about being vegan and answering their questions about it all usually gets me motivated again

I'd really get off the meat though asap, and that's easy to do if you watch a slaughterhouse video. It'd probably also help you feel good about being vegan since all farmed animals end up there in the end. This is a new one http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/f/CAMPAIGNS/blog//4//?be_id=211

All the best!

Like others have said, videos are good motivation.

I'd recommend buying Eathlings, watch it all the way through. It's hard to go back after that.

RubyDuby

earthlings is on youtube too, for free!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I tried to watch Earthlings ones, but I started crying after 10 minutes so I gave it up. I just could not continue watching.
    I donīt eat anything with a face.

boatsteem1

Quote VegaLi View Post
    I tried to watch Earthlings ones, but I started crying after 10 minutes so I gave it up. I just could not continue watching.
    Diddo I think I watched 15 minutes.

Quote VegaLi View Post
    Hmm.... This sounds really strange to me.....
    Isnīt veganism something you want to do? I mean, if you have to fight with yourself for sticking to it, then maybe you donīt have the "right" belief....?
    You gotta have the belief in what you do and how you live! You gotta really believe itīs the right thing to do, then itīs not such a challenge, then itīs just given. Otherwise it becomes a daily struggle.
    Veganism for me isnīt a diet to, for example, loose weight, veganism is a lifestyle. Itīs so much more than just food, itīs a way of thinking and living.

well said