Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: [Several multi-question threads, closed]

Default Re: Just a few questions before I get into the game

Quote Cumin View Post
    FYI - I got a reply in the post.

OldElPaso said the following are vegan: "Cooking Sauces, Dinner Kits, Refried Beans, Spice Mixes, Salsa&Dips, Slice Jalapenis , Taco Shells and Tortillas."

That sounds like pretty much everything, and I know from their website that they do Salsa and dips with Cheese in.
    So I've called them, pointed out how pointless this information is, and asked for a more specific and detailed reply.
    I'll let you know what I get.

sigh..
    Got a letter from General Mills today;

Thank you for your recent letter requesting information on our General Mills products.

Unfortunately, we are unable to fulfil your request for a list of products suitable for a vegetarian diet, as you should be aware that all our products are subject to reformulation at any given time. We would recommend that you always check the ingredient lists on packs of all our products prior to purchase to determine their content.
    I didn't send a letter and didn't write vegetarian so I'm guessing this is a stock letter.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Cumin View Post
    Slice Jalapenis
    Well they don't sound very vegan at all!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

littlewinker

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    was it? i didn't notice.
    Oh no, your new avatar's even more confusing I still haven't worked it out...

Congrats on going vegan!
    I noticed that you picked up vitamins when you were at Trader Joe's, and I just want to remind you that if you're eating a balanced diet you don't need any vitamins or supplements.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

OK - I did finally get a sensible, useful list from them.

I'm going to treat it with Caution and actually check the ingredients on any of these before I buy them, but I'm pretty confident they actually understood the question this time.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

SilverFlame819

Smile Long-winded: Hi, I'm new and have questions. :)

dfijghdlg
    Last edited by SilverFlame819; Jan 6th, 2012 at 06:21 PM.

Default Re: Long-winded: Hi, I'm new and have questions. :)

Hi Angela and welcome to the forum. It's great that you are changing to a vegan diet. As far as egg substitution is concerned I haven't found it to be a problem.
    Have you heard of the book 'Vegan cupcakes take over the world?' well the recipes in that are amazing! I haven't found the need to put substitute egg in any other recipes other than cakes though.
    I haven't seen the threads you mentioned about the horror stories on egg substitutions but I'll have a look for them!
    I'm sure you'll find lots of help here on the forum.........have fun!

p.s. Will the cat stay in the RV when you go on the trip? You know what cats are like...........if it was any of mine they'd be out exploring and get lost!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you do amazing things to help animals...that's wonderful. I was thinking the same thing that Sandra mentioned about the cat in the RV. Same is true of my 3 felines, they do not travel well.

You mentioned that you will be going to DC. You MUST go to sticky fingers bakery. It is amazing. The sticky buns and lil' devils are my favorites. www.stickyfingersbakery.com

As far as egg substitutes I've never had a problem. I bake all the time and I've always used Ener-G egg replacer. It is just a powder that you can mix with water.

Good luck!

SilverFlame819

sdfndf;gn
    Last edited by SilverFlame819; Jan 6th, 2012 at 06:22 PM.

hello Angela, welcome to the forum! it sounds like you do some amazing work for animals, well done.

i don't have many tips for your road trip etc. but regarding egg substitutes, i just use recipes that were always intended to be vegan, and therefore designed to be made without eggs. i make a great fruit cake that's just flour, oil, water and fruit. it's deliciously light and moist. eggs seem to be one of the more difficult items to substitute directly.

there are loads of interesting threads here on the forum, hope you find the info you're looking for and you make some new friends!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

welcome from me too!

Quote SilverFlame819 View Post
    While on the road, I will be keeping a website all about our travels, and an interactive food journal. I want to try new foods and buy local along the way as much as possible on our trip.
    Hi Angela! Your trip sounds like fun, let us know when you get the website started, I'd like to see what kinds of places you visit and good vegan eats you find.

1. I've cooked vegan cookies for friends before and substituted eggs for applesauce, which works great in cookies, but what about other foods? Is there an option that people actually LIKE that works?
    Sorry, never made vegan cookies, but I've read you can use: 2 tbsp flaxseeds w/ water, bananas, and applesauce to replace the eggs. Also, maybe try using some extra rice/ soy milk instead of eggs.

2. Anyone have some great, simple recipes you'd like to share with me for the road?
    Will you have stove or microwave? I mostly eat like soups, dahls, salads, and fruit. I make all of my meals in like 15 minutes or less since I'm always limited with time. It seems like everything is possible from your favorite vegan cookbook if you havea stove or microwave. Also, it might help to research the health food shops in each city/ area before you go.

3. Anyone have any suggestions on places to stop that would be good?
    There's so many places to see!!! I've been to more than 35 of the states, so I cant pick just a few to post. Have you seen the book "1001 places to visit before you die"?

5. Also, are there any suggestions for what you'd be interested in seeing on a website that chronicles a year-long journey, and the lifestyle of that journey?
    Pictures!! And of course, what kind of vegan food you find on your trip, what the cities are like, unique things about each place.

This is so exciting!! I cant wait to read your website!

SilverFlame819

sdfsdfg

Hi Angela.
    I use egg replacer made from tapioca flour for baking. It works well.
    For most cakes if you add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to soy milk and curdle it b/r adding to flour etc it makes a light texture for the cake without egg.
    Protein balls are good to take on trips and give you energy and stamina.
    Mix
    2 tablespoons:
    flaxseeds
    sesame seeds
    pumpkin seeds
    sunflower seeds
    nuts (any)
    peanut butter
    golden syrup
    choc chips (optional)

wet hands and roll into balls and cart around in a durable container.
    If mix is too sticky just add more seeds etc

SilverFlame819

dfhfdhn f

fiessa

Default want to go vegan, help please?

i would like to go vegan, but i'm a bit worried about nutrients. it seems that there are so many that you need and they all seem hard to get. i'm not totally sure which ones you need apart from iron, calcium, protien, and vitamin b-12, or what the best sources are. i have some questions and any answers would be appreciated.

what vitamins are nessesary that you usually get from non vegan sources, and how do you get them from vegan sources instead?

what foods should i put on a grocery list for my mom to get me if i'm going vegan?

how can i possibly get all the nutrients i need? it seems like the 45 grams of protien they reccomend is hard enough, but i have no idea how to get all the other ones you need at the same time..

how much vitamin b12 should i take? my mom got me a bottle of 500mcg tablets and a bottle of 1000 mcg tablets.. i think there was something on one of them about being time release but i'm not sure..

is soy milk safe? because if it's not i don't know what to do about breakfast if i can't have cereal..

if you read all this, thanks, and if you answer too, thanks again.

Default Re: want to go vegan, help please?

hi, i thought i should reply as noone else has yet. Well done for thinking about it but don't worry so much. I know a few people took vitamins supplements to begin with while their bodies adapted but it shouldn't really be necessary. The most important thing is that you eat plenty of variety (lots of different tyes of fruit, veg, carbs, beans, legumes, nuts and grains) every day and you eat enough. Don't go hungry! There are plenty of threads on the forum already with specific info on nutrients for you to have a look at. It might also be worth investing in a vegan cookbook to get lots of examples of healthy balanced meals.

Hope it all goes well!

sugarmouse

I agree, it isnt so much a worry as some people may think. If you eat healthily and vary your food, it isnt any more difficult to get nutrients on a vegan diet as a none vegan one (in fact, can be easier seeing as a vegan, it is usually healthier, whole foods that are eaten.
    have a rummage arond the site.
    What nutrients do you think you get from your diet now, that you think you might not if you give up certain foods in order to go vegan
    ?

Hello - you could have a look here as a starting point:

http://www.vegansociety.com/food/nutrition/

and maybe here too:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/vegan-nutrition.html

fiessa, as the other posts say, a varied diet is the best way, most importantly lots of fresh fruit and raw veg. And yes soy is ok. The only thing which concerns most vegans is whether they are getting enough b12. You will probably be ok but you can get your levels tested by your doctor if you wish. There's plenty of threads on b12 here just search for it.

At least you are concerned about your health, as there are plenty of vegans who don't
    k thx bai

Qaxt

Some people argue that soy is unsafe. If you're really worried about it, though, there are plenty of other plant milks. Off the top of my head, there's almond milk, hemp milk, and rice milk. Almond milk, to me, tastes a lot like "real" milk, only a bit different.

fiessa

thank you everyone for the replies, as it turns out, my mom will let me go vegetarian, but not vegan. the nutrient i'm worried about a bit is iron, as it seems more troublesome that protien, which i have decided is easy to get. i'd like to know how much b12 to take, and if i should take it per day,week, whatever.. thanks to all for replying!

You will get an abundance of iron from leafy greens, which is far more easily assimilated into the body than via red meat
    k thx bai

Bonn1997

Default Questions about going vegan

Hi,

I’m new here and considering going vegan but I have a bunch of questions for you all. What was the experience like of going vegan? Did you feel emotionally conflicted at times? After much of the reading I’ve done and because of the tremendous empathy for animals I have, I don’t think I can eat or use animals again like before. However, making big lifestyle changes is intimidating! I feel like it’s gonna stink to be the weirdo at the party who won’t eat burgers with everyone else. Never eating meat for the next 50 or whatever years (I’m 30 now) seems like a huge commitment to make! Part of me wishes I could go back to the ignorance I had a few weeks ago. At the same time, knowing and feeling that I treat animals fairly is important to me and I think could also be part of living a rewarding, meaningful life. So I’m just wondering if you guys felt emotionally conflicted like I do?

A few practical questions:
    -Is soy milk the only alternative to milk from cows? From the limited amount I’ve read, I have some concerns about the effects of soy on testosterone and sperm count.
    -Do you drive a car with leather seats? I do and given my income, it won’t be easy to get a good safe car with cloth seats. (My dad sold me my current car at a “family discount” price.) I suppose one thing at a time, though—I don’t have to go out and get a new car today but I can’t help having all these thoughts enter my mind!
    -Is it OK to have pet dogs in your view or are we just contributing to removing animals from their natural habitat? (I love the 2 dogs I got from the Humane Society.)

Thanks for your time!

Default Re: Questions about Going Vegan

Hi,
    and welcome!

Quote Bonn1997 View Post
    Hi,

Did you feel emotionally conflicted at times?
    I guess differs from person to person; the conflict/confusion for me wasn't emotional, it was more about how focused I was on living the way I really wanted/to which degree I was willing to/capable of challenge old habits I didn't like.

Is soy milk the only alternative to milk from cows?
    There's rice milk, oat milk, soy milk, and of course no milk. Plus, for cooking there's also coconut milk. And more: Here's a thread for you:
    Favorite vegan milk alternatives

Do you drive a car with leather seats?
    Being vegan is about avoiding animal products as much as practical and possible, so many vegans still use leather etc. in products they bought before they went vegan: Using old leather and other non-vegan products

Is it OK to have pet dogs in your view or are we just contributing to removing animals from their natural habitat?
    There's no official viewpoints on this built into the definition of vegan. We have a subforum called Companion Animals where we have various threads about that topic. Many vegans have rescued cats or dogs.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Buddha Belly

Hi,
    Everyone is different on how they got to being vegan. Some do at stages and cut more things out whilst they find suitable replacements and some just do so overnight. Do what you feel most comfortable with and NEVER feel bad for making mistakes, everyone on here has done so at one stage or another.
    Questions that may seem 'silly' to you are always answered on here or, as Korn did, you are pointed to the thread where they are discussed.

Welcome to the forum.

FYI I wish at times I was as ignorant as I was before I went vegan.

Bonn1997

Thanks for your replies; this seems like a great place! After work, I'm going to buy some new food. I also told a couple of people I was contemplating going Vegan and they respected it; they didn't think I was some weirdo. That made me feel better. (I am a bit sensitive to what others think of me, even though I still do what I think is right in the end.)

Bonn1997

Default Re: Questions about going vegan

Just to update you: I've been vegetarian since (actually slightly before) posting this original message. I haven't gone fully vegan yet although I believe I will at some point. I'm the kind of person who feels more comfortable making gradual changes but I'm happy to have become a vegetarian and for cows and chickens etc. to be living now because I'm not eating them.

Default Re: Questions about going vegan

sweet!
    ...take it to the bridge...

Welcome!
    sloppy joes, African peanut stew, an assortment of soups, sandwiches, wraps, pad Thai, pasta salad, veggie burgers, hummus & pita, salad, smoothies all come off the top of my head as quick and easy.

however, what kind of equipment will you have access to while you are on the road?

You know, throughout my own Vegan journeys, a good culinary skill I found very useful is to master making a roux, and therefore béchamel sauce! that's my advice - all other advice is easy to find. Some people thicken creamy sauces with cornstarch which is alright but roux is a more traditional, stable concoction from French cooking. Anyway, I use this all the time to create alfredo, cheezy, rose sauce, faux ricotta, etc.

For egg replacement, good alternatives are (some already listed)
    commercial egg replacer (Ener-g)
    tapioca
    apple sauce
    ground flax seed
    banana
    gluten

Just remember that we are not replacing milk, butter and eggs - but rather, finding ingredients that create moister, binding and leavening. Then it is all gravy!

Leli

Question Hello and questions...

My sister has been a vegetarian since she was about 13, so over a decade now. Early in 2009, she became a vegan.

My concern isn't the weight she's lost (as she was overweight to start with and is now at a reasonable weight for her height) but how fast she's lost it and how difficult it's been for her to control the weight loss.
    In the last few weeks, she's been feeling sick and so wasn't eating nearly enough. She's also had some symptoms of calcium deficiency. How can I help her to be healthier and get a good handle on being a vegan?

Default Re: Hello and questions...

Hi, has your sister seen a doctor about the sickness? That isn't likely to be anything to do with being vegan.

Most people lose a bit of weight when they first go vegan but then it stabilises, so once she's feeling better she will probably be fine. What sort of calcium deficiency symptoms is she having?

Here's some information about vegan nutrition http://www.vegansociety.com/food/nutrition/ (there is a page about calcium sources there). Getting enough calories from a wide variety of (mostly) wholefoods is the basic principle of eating healthily as a vegan.

You could also buy her a vegan cookery/nutrition book - not sure which to recommend but I'm sure others will have suggestions. If you live nearby perhaps you could cook together sometimes?

AndreaLynn

Default New Vegan and questions...

Hi, I am new vegan (been going strong for about a month) and new to this forum and i first just wanted to say hi but i also have a few questions. My first question is: Is Miralax vegan? I have been searching the internet and i cant find a clear answer. And if it isnt vegan i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions i what i should take instead of miralax because i rely so heavily on it. I have been trying to slow decrease the amount I am taking but I would get so irregular it would interfer with school and work because I would get the worst stomach aches and would have to stay home. Also I wanted to ask what you do if you have a very unsupporting family. I am 16 and still in highschool. I am also a Christian and live in a Christian home. But my parents, especially my mom are not supporting me at all. All the time my mom makes little comments to me about me have a vitamin defeciency or some type of disease because my immune system is down etc and all of that isnt true at all. I feel fine, in fact i feel great =]. But the comments have really been getting to me and really hurt. One time my mom actually screamed at me when i asked if i could make my own whole wheat pasta for spagetti dinner that night (the pasta she was making had eggs in it). She yelled at me and said, "Oh, so your rejecting God's food now. What is wrong with you?!" That comment really hurt me and now im stuck and dont know what to do. Im sorry this is so long, I just had to get all that out.

Default Re: New Vegan and questions...

I feel so bad that no-one answered this young woman's question last spring. Just in case someone else has a similar problem, I'd like to to note that there is actually a vegan born-again christian movement. It seems that some people have decided that God commanding us to be shepherds to the earth does not include the cruelties of factory farming or melting the ice caps. (The animal abolition argument is a harder one amongst this crowd.) You might be able to frame your belief in a christian context and make them easier for your mom to handle. In addition, there have been many very famous christian historical figures who have felt that God called them to give up animal products and take on a simple plant based diet. Teresa of Availa was one of them. She felt that eating only simple plant food was essential to spiritual development. Many orders of munks and nuns are vegitarians. My parents are devout, too. My mom is a minister. I remember being 16 and arguing that Star Trek was a great show for me to watch because the Vulcans were just like christians. Alas, I did not have the strength of character to follow through on my vegan beliefs until I moved out on my own.

Remember that your mom has a lot of pressure on her. Traditional roles for women in christian households involve a degree of powerlessness that can feel very oppressive, especially if she feels like she has no choice but to continue to serve every need coming from her husband and children. Going that extra mile to help take that burden from her might make her more able to respect your choices. Or, simply put, try folding the laundry or doing the dishes and then requesting special kitchen privileges. To your mom, your using the kitchen is likely to feel like another burden on her. (I know this doesn't make sense, but some day when you have your own place and your own kitchen to clean and organize, it will.)

As for the miralax question: Call them! Go on line, find a costumer service number and call them. Chances are that this product was tested extensively on animals before marketing, but don't listen to me. I'm over 30, you can't trust a dang thing I say. Call them yourself. But chances are, you won't be needing anything for the pooping for long if you stick with a plant-based diet. I've never met a chronically constipated vegan.

Default Re: New Vegan and questions...

It is sad that some questions don't get answered, especially from new members. This being her only post with no response could have been the reason she didn't return

Jayfoxpox

Default Curious about the vegan ethical views

Greetings,

I'm a meat eater ,

I want to understand views of vegans more.

I understand that the debate of humans not needing consuming any animal products is already won since you people are the living proof.

And I understand that the sole reason for vegans is to prevent cruelty of other species.
    Ethical questions
    1)To what extent of intelligence are you willing to eat? Is there a fine line lets say insects or bugs or is it strictly a bacteria,fungi,plant diet?
    2) Lets say there is such thing as a cruel free animal product for example, they are able to grow steaks from a tree. is that fine to eat?
    What if they are able to clone just the meat and grow it in a lab.
    3) why is drinking milk or eggs not considered ethical?
    4) Let's say an animal leaves a by product that harms it in no way and it's a natural occurrence. Like the shell of an egg ( after chick is hatched) or lets say the skin shedded from a snake. It's not harming it right?
    5) Let's say a company trained monkeys to farm. Would the crops be ethical?
    6) To what extreme would it be ok. For instance, an animal/animal product(harmed) is required to cure w/e disease you have.

Please no answers like "not edible" or "ew no way thats gross." Just a hypothetical question on ethical concerns.

Enviroment

Consider this dilemma
    If you live in a house or building, isn't that contradicting the very mindset of vegans? for that same spot where the house was built may have been a home for animals.

1) is your goal to deurbanize and have a more rural like society?
    2)Would you then only choose to live in small homes that meet the minimal requirements?
    3)Rely less on technology and more on "natural"?

4)What about medicine? medical treatment
    for all medicines has been tested on animals one time or another.
    If so,Do you rely strictly on home remedies?

I'm not trying to make fun of anyone ,but these are just the kind of questions that bugs me

Thanks for carefully considering these questions.

cobweb

Default Re: Curious about the vegan ethical views

Hi

Veganism is a path of 'least harm'. I think most of us would agree that to exist as a human usually involves some level of destruction, unfortunately, but there is a way of life that limits the harm that we do as much as possible - veganism.

I personally wouldn't want to eat anything that breathes and moves about indepandently, I don't base my limits of what to eat upon intelligence levels.

I wouldn't have any particular problem with using something like a discarded egg shell if it could be put to good use, but I wouldn't go looking for animal by-products as I feel they're not really mine to use.

I can only speak for myself as all vegans are individuals with common goals, but we don't have any kind of rules to follow. Personally I try to be respectful of all life, e.g I wouldn't snap a branch off a tree, I would look for a fallen one, as again, it's not mine to take from the tree. However, I realise that there is some level of irregularity involved as I do use electricity, I eat plants that have probably come from large impersonal farms, I drive a car, etc, etc..........which brings us back to the least harm thing I suppose.

cobweb

Oh, and milk is taken from cows whose calves are snatched from them soon after birth, very distressing for both cow and calf. In order to produce cow milk (which is meant for keeping calves healthy), the cow must be made continuously pregnant. The egg thing is more a twofold argument of animals not being ours to 'use', and also the cruelty involved involved in the hen/egg industry (e.g the male chicks are minced alive soon after hatching as they unwanted by the industry).

I try to do as little harm as possible, as much as catching spiders in my house and putting them back outside. So I do my best to avoid products that have been tested on animals, I buy clothes and shoes that aren't made from any part of an animal, and I have a plant-based diet

If there was such thing as a cruelty free way of producing meat, as in no animals would be harmed or exploited what so ever, I would be all over that Although I suppose there already kind of is with veggie burgers and sausages...

There's a little bit of veal in every glass of milk. By buying any dairy product you're supporting the veal industry, and as Cobweb has mentioned, you're financially assisting the cruelty in the industries.

As far as discarded items from animals, I see nothing wrong with using it for whatever reason you would need it Taking an egg shell isn't going to effect a chicken in any way.

Monkey farmers...? It wouldn't be considered ethical by me because it's still exploiting an animal. I don't find many jobs done by animals to be ethical with the exception of police dogs/search and rescue. Watching videos shows how happy the animal is. They enjoy having a job to do and enjoy human companionship just as much or more than we do

I don't get flu shots or use any medications. I use a multi-vitamin that is certified vegan - that's it. If it was the difference between life or death, I would use a medication/vaccination that had been tested on animals, as I hope any other vegan would. You're worth much more alive

I can see where you're coming from. If I purchased some land and built a house, I would be destroying homes for rodents or, depending where I was building, possibly other animals as well. I'm currently renting right now, but when I do come to purchase my own home, I will either buy one that has been built many years ago, or build one myself, keeping harm to the environment to a minimum.
    I personally prefer small houses myself. Much more energy efficient, and I've always found you can do more with less space. I would also love to buy solar panels for my home, but you need the money to be able to do that.

And as stated above, I don't use any medications.

Quote Jayfoxpox View Post
    Thanks for carefully considering these questions.
    Thanks for showing an interest

Vegans live independantly of animals. It is absolutely unnecessary to sacrifice animals in any way for humans to live. We don't eat any animal product because humans simply don't need it. Even if somehow it was totally cruelty free (which is impossible, especially on a large commercial scale) I wouldn't eat it.

Eggs and milk are bad. Just because the act of milking a cow or laying an egg doesn't kill the animal, doesn't mean nothing dies. Where do all the males go? Millions upon millions of male chicks are gassed immediately after hatching every year, each one an individual life. As for the dairy industry, the male calves become veal. The mother (dairy) cows are slaughtered at a very young age, when their milk production falls. And last but not least, we don't need eggs or milk for any reason.

shells, shed skins etc are natural and fine. If a monkey were trained to be a farmer, it wouldn't be natural or necessary to pointless use a monkey, so it would not be vegan

It would not be ok for something to die for me, I couldn't sacrifice something that has no choice in the matter for my own needs. If God popped down from the clouds and said "if I squish this ant I'll cure your Aspergers and jaw problem" I would say no. But i personally think it's okay to kill parasite animals, such as nits and worms in your bowel. This is because they are directly feeding from the subject and using them, also they could potentially spread to other people and cause widespread preventable suffering.

I don't understand your question about living in a house?? Do you mean like digging the foundations could kill earthworms? I always wondered about that. I don't know how humans would naturally find shelter in ancient times, but surely a house isn't natural. However its practically the only way westerners know how to live, and since houses are already built, it's best to adapt to them. I wouldn't build a new home (if I was rich!)

We definately all want to live as greenly and naturally as possible. One of the problems is overpopulation - is it possible for 6.5 billion people to live entirely natually on the planet? Everyone going vegan would help because we wouldn't have to grow food to feed animals to feed ourselves, which is incredibly wasteful.

Medicine - I wish we could all avoid medicine. Sometimes, as someone said, we worth more alive than dead to the cause. i couldn't cope without my medicine, but stricter vegans would definately avoid it and I hope to one day! I won't start any more, that's for sure.

Thanks for taking an intelligent interest and being objective

Quote Jayfoxpox View Post
    Greetings,

I'm a meat eater ,

I want to understand views of vegans more.
    'Lo Jay

No vegan will disagree with this: Once all the bollox have been parsed away there only two reasons (for those of us who live in the developed world) for not being vegan.

The first is ignorance. (As in not being aware of the facts.)

The second is selfishness. (As in not caring about the facts.)

The core view of ALL vegans (I think I can safely say?) is that ignorant and/or selfish are things we simply do not want to be.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

leedsveg

^^

Hi CS
    Supposing I had asked Mother Theresa why she ate meat and she told me that God (via The Bible) told her it was ok. Was she being ignorant? Was she being selfish? After all, God must, one would presume, know all the facts and care?

lv

Quote leedsveg View Post
    ^^
    Hi CS
    Supposing I had asked Mother Theresa why she ate meat and she told me that God (via The Bible) told her it was ok. Was she being ignorant? Was she being selfish? After all, God must, one would presume, know all the facts and care?

lv
    LV, Lv, lv ... We must stop meeting up like this. People are beginning to talk!

Anyways, we don't know what MT did or did not know about the full reach of the harmfullness of meat so ignorance of the full facts cannot be ruled out.

We do know that MT spent a lot of her life in the undeveloped world. There are stories that Mariam Nour assisted an order that MT founded with her role in it being to bring healing vegan food back into America. (The story on that gave me the impression that MT recognised the connection between meat eating and the destruction of waht buddhism calls 'great compassion' btw)

Other stories are around that MT was so conflicted with some of Christianity that she doubted herself as a hypocrite. That one tallies with my personal belief that MT was a Bodhisattva whom by buddhist logic may arise from any or no particular path.

In the abscence of sure and certain knowledge I'm going to have to go with ruling ignorance of the full facts in and ruling selfishness out.

I don't understand why people here keep entertaining these types of question. They are the same ones asked numerous times by people who have no real interest in the answers. If they did, they could do a simple search of this forum or any search engine and see the answers that have been given thousands of times.

Quote mini_mi View Post
    I don't understand why people here keep entertaining these types of question. They are the same ones asked numerous times by people who have no real interest in the answers.
    Maybe (some of?) these posters don't have no real interest in the answers - but many of non-registered visitors do. With that in mind, even the trolls help us which questions most non-vegans may have...

I noticed they were from Canada and thought I'd answer the questions for a fellow Canadian

leedsveg

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    In the abscence of sure and certain knowledge I'm going to have to go with ruling ignorance of the full facts in and ruling selfishness out.
    Because MT apparently had great compassion for the suffering of people, it's difficult to imagine that she never ever considered the suffering of animals, raised for food. But all she needed to think or say was "well if God apparently indicates in The Bible that animal suffering doesn't matter, who am I to contradict God?". In that instance, ignorance and selfishness would appear not to enter into it.

leedsVeg

Quote leedsveg View Post
    But all she needed to think or say was "well if God apparently indicates in The Bible that animal suffering doesn't matter, who am I to contradict God?".
    How, in your world, does that not come under the heading of 'ignorance' LV?

cobweb

Quote mini_mi View Post
    I don't understand why people here keep entertaining these types of question. They are the same ones asked numerous times by people who have no real interest in the answers. If they did, they could do a simple search of this forum or any search engine and see the answers that have been given thousands of times.

Because this forum also has a section for non-vegans who are interested in veganism. Members can choose whether to helpfully answer respectful questions or ignore the threads.

leedsveg

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    How, in your world, does that not come under the heading of 'ignorance' LV?
    Because in this instance, she was aware of the fact of suffering but chose to ignore it (because God told her to). Being aware of something but choosing to ignore it hardly comes under the heading of 'ignorance'. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge, not having the knowledge but failing to act on it (for whatever reason).

lv

Answering for Cupid Stunt (I'm sure he will say what he thinks too) Ignorant in that she was not aware that in order to be fully spiritually aware, one must be vegan, and ignorant in her misunderstanding of the Bible

Also I think all omnis and veggies are ignorant because they don't know that being a vegan is possible and not that hard