Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: [Several multi-question threads, closed]

Default Re: Some questions from a potential vegan

Don't worry! If you didn't know the back story, how would you guess?

It is nice to hear of your forays into veganic permaculture. After all, you actually know about veganism! I am going to read that thread you posted, sounds interesting.

Quote Realfood Mary
    Actually, I wouldn't debate with the person who started this thread. I believe that he has come off the Glastonbury website to annoy vegans. A vegan started a thread there a while ago, asking if there were other vegans to meet up with her at the festival. Her thread got hijacked by people posting pictures of meat, cartoons of road kill, and abusive comments about how vegans get increasingly stupid as the generations of non animal consumption continue. It got very nasty indeed, and the vegan eventually got annoyed that her thread had been hijacked in such a mean spirited way.

After that whenever she posted anything she got pounced on by people threatening to come around to her house and butcher a lamb on her doorstep.

Strangely, the more upset she got, the more she was accused of being a troll.

Anyhow, reading this guys comments, they do not come across as someone whose family has been veggie for a hundred years. He is remarkably ignorant of vegetarianism. I believe he is one of the people who attacked this other womans thread, and now that she has gone quiet he has come here to take the mickey out of vegans. Hence this ridiculous story that a vegan put him off veganism.

By the way, I am not the "vegan troll" that he describes. She wrote to me upset asking what she should do, as she had been made to feel so unwelcome, and I wrote as a vegan campaigner to the site to complain about the abusive ganging up on the vegan. It turns out that at least some of the people I was complaining to had joined in on the verbal gang bang, and therefore the victim was banned as being a troll.

Sadly after a couple of weeks of insulting the vegan in her absence it would appear that they have got bored of insulting vegans behind their back and someone has come to have a laugh at our expense.

Please could this thread be locked and its author banned? You would have to see what happened on the Glastonbury Festival website to know what I am talking about. Though I imagine some of the more obscene and threatening comments may have been removed.
    I just googled and found the aforementioned thread. Quite shocking really and if the person that started this thread had any intention of going vegan, or was even vegetarian, then they would surely have stepped in and defended the position.
    When I initially read the first post on here it did sound to me like someone who simply wanting to highlight the 'alleged' difficulties/problems with being vegan. However, I always like to try and think the best of people, so assumed that he was genuinely interested. I can't understand peoples' mentalities; coming onto this forum just for a row I mean, why?

Hi, there are many occasional visitors out there who might be interested in some of these topics. Here is a new post containing links to the most common questions and topics new vegans / new visitors often focus on.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

About honeybees... Last summer, I went to this lecture about pollination, and the speaker said that a lot of organic farmers stopped using honeybees because organic farms are hospitable to various species of wild bees that do the pollinating job just fine.

cross barer

Quote Hasha
    About honeybees... Last summer, I went to this lecture about pollination, and the speaker said that a lot of organic farmers stopped using honeybees because organic farms are hospitable to various species of wild bees that do the pollinating job just fine.
    Depends on what nation you live in...

Personally I thought the problem with beekeeping was not that the queens wings were clipped, rather that a small percentage who remain to defend the hive are killed by the smoke used when collecting honey.
    I mean clipping the wings is bad and all, but I hadn't heard that one before.

Seaside

All quotes posted by amphibianlegume:
    1. Honey.
    Why can't you just allow your bees a very well-deserved retirement, and care for them until their natural demise, without replacing them? I am sure the world is full of wild creatures capable of pollinating crops without needing "management" by humans.

2. Use of plastics..... The vegan troll said I could not use wool because it belongs to the animal that shed it, but she admitted to throwing away her cats discarded hair.
    Let the wild birds use the animal hair to make their nests. When I lived in a house the trees in the garden contained several nests made out of my dogs' hair. Nothing is wasted if you leave it to nature.

No one is an island. Bargain with your farming neighbors to grow flax or cotton if you don't have enough space to grow them yourself, or hemp if it is legal, and use those fibers to make clothes, and you can share your food crops with them.

3. Pets (companion animals)

This vegan troll kept a pair of cats, she fed them both on a vegan diet and prevented them from hunting.
    This is an ongoing debate in the vegan community. Every responsible and compassionate guardian of human-dependent animals has a different experience with the animals they care for. No vegan who has an animal family claims that it is ethical to support the meat industry in order to feed their animals. But it is ultimately up to the animals whether or not they will accept foods they have not evolved to live on, and whether or not they can be healthy doing so, so the caretaker must make sure the health of their animals is monitored, and the necessary choices are made. Some of these choices may not be vegan, in which case we vegan caretakers must compromise our ethics for the sake of the animals for whom we are responsible. It is a difficult position to be in, and a dilemma for many vegan animal guardians who feel that they must exercise compassion to animals at risk of death in shelters by inviting them into their homes.

4. Vegetable farming
    We at the Vegan Forum, and probably most vegans worldwide, are PAINFULLY aware of the insects that must die when vegetables are harvested. Somehow it is always phrased that the vegetables that are harvested for vegans cause lots of insect death, implying that no insects die for the vegetables consumed by meat-eaters.

We are all responsible for many accidental and unavoidable deaths. This is not a valid excuse to volunteer to be the deliberate cause of even more death. Korn is right, veganism is not a religion, and if you cannot be a perfect practitioner of veganism, be as good a practitioner as you can.

As far as your animals go, feed the eggs to the pigs, give the pigs and chickens their well-deserved retirement, and do not replace them when they have died natural deaths.

5. Supplements
    Ah, the world is divided into two kinds of people; the ones who think you need lots of vitamins, and the ones who don't. Most of the meat-eaters I know rely on heavy use of supplements to protect their health. The need, or lack of need, for supplements is not a function of whether animal products are consumed by humans. It is more a function of whether you think that soils are depleted, water is not pure, etc.

You don't have to eliminate the non-vegan aspects of your lifestyle overnight. Many new vegans keep using their leather and wool until they wear out, and then replace them with vegan versions. Keeping bees, chickens, pigs, etc. may not be vegan, but is that really what is standing in your way of eliminating the use of animal products in your diet? An all-or-nothing approach is not necessary in your attempts to reduce animal suffering and exploitation as much as possible.

I am curious about your interest in becoming vegan, especially after five references in your initial post about this "vegan troll". My decision to give up the use of animals in my life was completely independent of any outside example, and if every vegan I encounter turns out to be a complete and utter @$$, (not likely, but for the sake of arguing) this will have no impact upon my decisions as to how I want to live my life, or what I decide to call myself.

Bees & pollination
    As Hasha said, wild bees pollinate flowers, in fact the solitary Red Mason Bee can do the work of 120 honey bees.

Some crops are wind pollinated, including hemp and sweetcorn, and don't need insects at all.

Lots of other plants, eg umbellifers such as carrots, parsnips, parsley etc are pollinated by flies.

Kidney beans and tomatoes are self-fertile and only need their pollen to be shaken by the breeze to pollinate themselves.

So I don't see the imminent demise of flowering plants if beekeeping was abandoned. In fact, it's rather comical when my neighbour's bees swarm and he has to go chasing them all round the countryside...why not just leave them alone?

And it's rather arrogant of beekeepers to claim that now they've succeeded in introducing varroa, their services are indispensible to the ecosystem.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

BTW I dont think this thread should be closed, because whatever amphibianlegume may have been doing on other websites, s/he has raised some important issues here which deserve considered reply. Also his/her posts haven't been offensive in any way, but seem to be raising genuine concerns.

They seem to me to be taking the piss. Whoever heard of a person who wears wool collected from hedgerows? I have lived on farms, there is plenty of wool around, but not enough for what he suggests. (Partly because the birds use it instead.) Also because traipsing around fields to gather enough wool to make, say, an aran jumper would take forever. That seems to me to be a question from someone who sat and thought "what can I say to really stump these vegans?"

Why give the silly person the satisfaction? S/he has already made the Glastonbury Festival Forum a place so inimicable to vegans that nobody is ever likely to mention the word again, without being pounced on. Surely we don't want it to happen here? It is a vegan forum after all!

Mary, we don't know for sure if it's the same person. I agree with you about the wool-thing, but why not use a little alchemy to convert critical comments about what people believe veganism is into better understanding of what it is? Independent of whether amphibianlegume is a troll or not, we have thousands of other visitors that might stumble across similar critical comments (but I do agree that it looks like a poor attempt to make people who want to avoid harming animals into a bunch of dogmatic fanatics....!)
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

The honey issue is simple to me. Even if it were necessary to keep bees and if it were possible to steal the honey without harming a single bee--the honey belongs to the bees. The bees make the honey for themselves. If you take it, you are stealing their food. If bees are absolutely necessary to this person, why steal their honey?

BTW, this person seems like a troll to me, but whatever.

Quote Realfood Mary
    They seem to me to be taking the piss. Whoever heard of a person who wears wool collected from hedgerows? I have lived on farms, there is plenty of wool around, but not enough for what he suggests. (Partly because the birds use it instead.) Also because traipsing around fields to gather enough wool to make, say, an aran jumper would take forever. That seems to me to be a question from someone who sat and thought "what can I say to really stump these vegans?"
    I do agree with you that the person seems to be testing the vegan standpoint with extremes, but so what? Actually there are people who do knit jumpers from hedgerow wool, but I agree with you it's not exactly practical for a whole family. And in any case, it's still depending on animal exploitation. I wonder if amphibianlegume knits their underwear from wool too I bet his kids love him for that!

Quote Kumem
    It's interesting that some of us have taken the time to explain things from the vegan point of view and had nothing back from the original poster
    Yeah I kind of expected this to happen...amphibianlegume obviously found s/he didn't want to argue after all, because veganism is so utterly logical

But I really did want to know more details about their alleged lifestyle! Like what they do with their unwanted piglets, what pest control methods they use, etc. Oh well!

Quote kokopelli

But I really did want to know more details about their alleged lifestyle! Like what they do with their unwanted piglets, what pest control methods they use, etc. Oh well!
    I suspect that the piglets get wool duty; they go out and collect the wool and then sit together knitting wooly knickers

Tombstone

I must commend people on their patience and reasonableness in this thread, especially Korn.

The only comment I have to add is that I find it odd that the original poster wants to be 'vegan', then outlining many reasons why they don't want to be. I think that people should look at all situations from a moral point of view and decide what is practically possible for them individually, and then make the decision(s) that they think is (are) best. The word 'vegan' has been created to describe certain people who share similar beliefs and ways of life. The word 'vegan' is not a dictation of how to live, it just describes what some people have decided to do. Make up your own mind about what is right or wrong based on education and evidence, do not worry about what words are used to describe your moral decisions, don't aspire to be part of a group.

If someone says to me 'it's not vegan to have oral sex', then I don't reply 'Well then I don't want to be vegan!!' and start eating meat and eggs and milk. I reply 'I don't care what word you use to describe it, i think oral sex is morally acceptable'.

Soul Rebel

Default Newbie Vegan - Health Questions

My wife and I recently excluded all animal product from our diet. I have read Diet for a New America and am currently reading The Food Revolution. In both books John Robbins reccomends a pure vegtarian to take B12 supplements, flax seed oil (or Omega-3) and DHA supplements (the last two especially for pregnant and nursing women). We picked up a B12 supplement last week at Wild Oats, but the smallest does I saw was 500mcg. I read in the book that we only need 2mcg per day. Why do the pills have so much? I cut the pill into 1/4's and take a piece each day, so one pill lasts me 4 days. My wife is currently nursing our 11 month old and plans to continue to he is ready to stop. Is it true we (especially my wife) needs to take the three things listed above that I read in the book? I've tried to read some of the threads that are sticky and do a search, but the information I found is overwhelming. We eat a well balanced diet everyday so with this taken into consideration do we need extra supplements? Finally, once my son stops breastfeeding (we don't plan on stopping anytime soon) what concers should we have about him on a vegan diet?

pavotrouge

Default Re: Newbie Vegan - Health Questions

A friend of mine has also lately made the switch to a vegan diet and nursing her son, but not taking any supplements- that is, if Alpro enhanced soy milk doesn't count (it has got B vitamins and calcium added) and it works fine.

Just make sure you eat balanced... I do not believe in all those pills personally. I've been a vegan for only half a year but know others who do not take any supplements either and have done fine for years.

I read somewhere that your body only absorbs around 2% of the vitamins in pills. So that's why the pills contain 500mcg. I don't take pills every day. I just take them every once in a while and I eat B12 fortified foods too.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Remember that some deficiencies can take a long time to show up. B12 defiency is serious so I would keep your situation monitored if you decide not to supplement.

Yes, I think it is important for you to be taking the supplements recommended in that book, particularly while your wife is breastfeeding. Although if you are taking a preformed DHA supplement, I don't think the flax oil is necessary. There are numerous nutrients your wife should be taking in to ensure adequate nutrient levels for your child (and for that reason a good multi is helpful). In particular, Vitamin D is critical when nursing. There is a widespread deficiency in vitamin D. If your wife doesn't have sufficient levels vitamin D, then the breast milk also won't have sufficient levels and this is a vital nutrient for your growing child.

Best,
    Josh

pavotrouge

I thought Vitamin D is built by the body itself when exposed to enough sunlight and that it's only a problem for people who don't get out or who live very far North in the winter months ?_?

That's true, we manufacture all the goodies we need, and I am sceptical of those who say we should be eating pills, especially when they sell them!

I don't take vitamins, but do take a dessertspoon of flax seed oil as I use no other oils in foods. And Soul Rebel, I can't think of any concerns you should have for your son to go vegan when he is no longer breastfeeding.
    Eve

Soul Rebel

Thanks for all the info guys!

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    I thought Vitamin D is built by the body itself when exposed to enough sunlight and that it's only a problem for people who don't get out or who live very far North in the winter months ?_?

I don't know about Germany but the UK Vegan Society says we in the UK won't be able to manufacture vitamin D from the sun from the end of October until April. Also you have to be outside enough in the summer and many people's lifestyle these days keeps them indoors a lot, in buildings and cars!
    Its all to do with how far from the Equator we are so the Aussies should be OK all year round?
    We may see the sun in the winter in Northern Europe buts its rays are not long enough to make us produce vitamin D.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Default Five questions

Hi Everyone,
    I've been vegetarian for over 2 years now, but I was on and off as a kid. I've never liked chicken, fish or eggs so it was a pretty easy transition to being vegetarian (I never once "cheated" after starting). Well I've been toying on and off with going vegan for the past year and last night after finding this forum I just decided "allright, I'm just gonna do it". Also, I ate at Casa De Luz over the weekend (for the 2nd time) which is a vegan restaurant in Austin and that definitely helped persuade me.

I am lucky to live only a few blocks from a food co-op which has all kinds of resources for vegan eating. Last night I bought:
    -Plenty of hummus
    -Nuts/seeds: sunflower seeds, almonds, organic trial mix
    -dry beans: garbanzo, black eyed peas
    -vegan rice cake snacks
    -flax seed (what the hell do you do with this stuff? I read it was a vegan essential on some other site)
    -Various other shiz: avacados, bananas

I also already have at home:

-Tabooley (how the heck do you spell that anyway?)
    -Soy Milk
    -Fruit: Oranges, bananas, grapes
    -Veggies: tons, avacado and cauliflower are my faves
    -Canned beans: black beans, blackeyed peas

I'm hoping this will not be as hard as it first seemed

I've browsed around the forums a little bit, read everything relevant I could. I also ordered a book on veganism that that guy from Italy recommended and a vegan cookbook with 400 recipes.

A few questions
    1. I own a leather jacket (it was a gift) and most of my shoes are leather. I'm willing to part with the leather jacket, is it OK to sell it or do I have give it away or destroy it? As for my shoes, do I just keep using them till they wear out and then only buy synthetic shoes moving forward? Is that OK?
    2. Is Falafel vegan? Because I love that stuff but I haven't seen anywhere that it is or isn't.
    3. I like to eat generic cereals from the supermarket for breakfast because they're cheap and tasty. But I guess most of them have processed sugar with the whole white bone shiz in them. I read the vegan breakfast topic and no one mentioned that they ate cereal. What are my options for vegan cereal?
    4. I loooooooooove hot sauce and I put it on most food. I haven't even checked the stuff I have right now to see if it's vegan. Anybody have a list of vegan hot sauces? That would be awesome. I did a search, couldn't find any topics specifically related to hot sauce.
    5. I read flax seed was a vegan essential and I bought some but what do you do with the stuff?
    Well that's all the questions I have for now. Today is my first day attempting to be vegan and so far so good. I hate grape juice and a banana for breakfast (I was running late for work and just had to get something quick). So far for lunch I've had
    -Hummus, Avacado and fresh jalapeno sandwich mmmm! one of my faves.
    -carrots
    -orange
    -banana
    -sunflower seeds
    And I have some almonds and dried pineapple to munch on through the afternoon here.

I appreciate answers to the questions above and look forward to visiting here often, you all seem like a friendly bunch.

-Ben

Default Re: Alright getting started here, couldn't find answers to all my questions

Hi Ben. Welcome to the forum. If you use the search facility here, you will find some of the answers you require. For example, see here for the leather issue.

As for things like falafel, the best thing to do is make everything yourself or contact the manufacturers of the products.

Well done for becoming vegan and I hope it all continues to go well for you.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Re: Alright getting started here, couldn't find answers to all my questions

Hi Ben

Congrats on making the change over and doing it so thoroughly! I found chocolate was my weakness so was useful to find stocks of vegan chocolate. Otherwise as Redwellies says this forum has answers to questions you hadn't even thought of! Well for me anyway as have just been reading the vegan drinks thread. As you read through the threads quite a few members have their own vegan sites too so no end to the information and support here! Good luck

flax seeds or flax oil..just sprinkle over salad/porridge..or drizzle the oil over salad..s'nice

sure there will be a recipe for felafel in the recipe thread place.

as redwellies says..have a super search all about the forum and lo! the answers will be there...and welcome to your new pastime.. which will be reading the list of ingredients on the back of the product labels..joyous!

p.s i like the way you say 'shiz'
    Last edited by emmapresley; Mar 14th, 2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: to add that i liked the way ben says 'shiz' ;0)
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Hello Ben. OK - I'll have a go at some of your questions:

Leather jacket and shoes: up to you. I kept my shoes until they were worn out. In fact I may still have a pair somewhere even though it's over 15 years since I stopped buying them

Felafel: I think they usually are vegan but check the packet/ask the person selling it to find out what's in them

Cereals: unsweetened muesli is usually OK though check for honey. Porridge/oatmeal is also a good option.

Hot sauce: pass! I think at least some kinds of Tabasco are OK though.

Flax seed: crush it and add to cereals or salad, but don't heat it or it loses its nutritional value. I usually buy flax oil instead and have it on bread or in a salad.

Your list of foods looks good but it would be an idea to add green leafy vegetables such as cabbage, spinach and kale if you don't already have them as they provide a lot of nutrients.

Hi Ben and welcome!!!

The others seem to have pretty much answered all your questions - just try to eat a varied diet with lots of veggies, especially green veg, and fruit.

Also don't worry about making mistakes, just take things one step at a time and you'll be fine. You sound like you've made a really good start

If you've got any questions just ask away

Welcome to the site Ben
    You probably know about this already, but make sure you get enough B12 in your diet either from suppliments or fortified foods

hi Ben and welcome

(offers you some Wolfberries)

Soundz like you have made a wicked start already and good luck with the transition, i hope it all goes smoothly for you, but don't worry if you find you've eaten the occasional thing with dairy or eggs in it that you didn't realise cos it takes time to get to know exactly what everything contains.

I would recommend hempseed oil and seaweed and alfalfa, lots of good Omegas and vitamins and minerals!

As for the jacket, say bye bye and get another one, it will be a great weight off your back (er mind) and you won't regret it for one single second
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Nice one Iron Clad Ben and Welcome!
    As for the jacket and shoes, play it how you like but don't be surprised when just about everybody points out the fact that you use leather, as a way of making themselves feel better about not being vegan.
    I gave all my animal derived products away some 16 years ago.

OK 3rd day now. So far so well. Soy milk doesn't taste nearly as bad as the last time I tried it a couple years ago. It's actually pretty good.

The problem I'm having right now is that I'm like constantly hungry. I'll eat a meal and feel full for about 30 minutes and then get hungry again. I've been constantly snacking on dried fruit, nuts and seeds all day. Is this just a function of my metabolism adjusting? It's another couple hours until dinnner and I'm soooooooooo hungry! What's going on?

What do the meals consist of? Your sample lunch looked OK.
    Perhaps you are, as you say, just adjusting.
    Keep well.

Yesterday,
    breakfast: 1 orange. Yikes, ok I need to eat bigger breakfasts here.
    lunch: hummus/avacado/jalapeno sandwich, orange, apple, some carrots.
    snacked on dried pineapple, sunflower seeds and almonds in the afternoon
    dinner: a bunch of edamame beans, some canned pineapple, bowl of cereal w/soy milk. Mango juice.

Today:
    breakfast: 1 banana. A bad trend is developing here...
    lunch: gardenburger sub with lettuce, onion and jalapeno.
    snacking on trail mix and almonds at the moment.

LOL I guess I need to eat bigger breakfasts. I'm just always in such a time crunch in the morning. I just grab whatever's lying around and jump in the car.

Hi Ben, I had a penpal from Austin, Texas when I was in school, her name was RuthAnn! Just thought I'd share that!
    Just keep eating when you feel hungry, that's what I do. I find I eat more often but smaller amounts!
    Welcome to the forum!

Quote Iron Clad Ben View Post
    Yesterday,
    breakfast: 1 orange. Yikes, ok I need to eat bigger breakfasts here.

Today:
    breakfast: 1 banana. A bad trend is developing here...

LOL I guess I need to eat bigger breakfasts.
    LOL indeed.
    Mmm... breakfast.
    You knows it.

The Null Void

Hm. There are a few things that seem to fill me up pretty well. Pasta especially (I get the whole wheat kind) seems to keep me pretty full. I'm the kind of person that likes to put some broccoli over it or maybe make a raw tomato/herb sauce (The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen has that one...). I also keep some mixed nuts around for snacking, and that keeps me pretty satisfied. I'm one of those people that eats a fair amount at each meal, so I'm in no danger of starving.

Hi Ben,
    you say you ate "a bunch of edamame beans, some canned pineapple, bowl of cereal w/soy milk. Mango juice" for dinner. I eat like that sometimes, but it's always a kind of last resort, it's all a bit disjointed, and makes me feel like I haven't really eaten. Maybe from a psychological point of view you need to plan your meals better, and maybe try to think about breakfast the night before. That might be of some help. Just my 2 cents

nervine

Quote Iron Clad Ben View Post
    OK 3rd day now. So far so well. Soy milk doesn't taste nearly as bad as the last time I tried it a couple years ago. It's actually pretty good.

The problem I'm having right now is that I'm like constantly hungry. I'll eat a meal and feel full for about 30 minutes and then get hungry again. I've been constantly snacking on dried fruit, nuts and seeds all day. Is this just a function of my metabolism adjusting? It's another couple hours until dinnner and I'm soooooooooo hungry! What's going on?
    Stop eating dried fruit. It's junk. Eat no more than a handfull of nuts or more than a tbsp of seeds, avoid oil. Never eat nuts together with fruit. Eat fruit and maybe an hour later some nuts. Never do the opposite. It's not a crime that you aren't hungry in the morning, listen to your body. If you're not hungry, don't eat. Drink a big glass of water in the morning, then wait for hunger, then eat. Fruit is ideal as breakfast. Try to limit eating bread to once a day, prefferably at lunch. Nice one on going vegan btw. Keep it up!

Eat more porridge, bread, pasta, rice, couscous, quinoa. It doesn't look like you are eating enough.
    Vegemince (the vegan variety) is very versatile as you can add tomatoes, vegetables, onions, pasta sauces etc to it and it is very filling.

As for leather I kept all my old stuff including a secondhand bike jacket someone gave me and replace it as it wears out - I am on about half and half now but find I have really gone off wearing leather as it feels wrong and people invariably tell me I am not a real vegan because I have leather shoes on (10 years old!!!) so I may take everything that is left down to the charity shop.
    Silent but deadly :p

Looks like you are doing fine! I always eat breakfast but that doesn't mean I don't sometimes eat my lunch midmorning. I wouldn't get too hung up on when you eat stuff just make sure you eat a good balanced diet during the day. If you start worrying too much that makes you think of food and start snacking! Being vegan doesn't mean you just have to eat fruit and veg all the time though, plenty of filling carbohydrate dishes out there. You could check out the 'what did you eat today' thread for some ideas of what other people are eating.

nervine

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Eat more porridge, bread, pasta, rice, couscous, quinoa.
    I'd recommend potatoes and sweet potatoes instead of all that. Humans don't digest grains very well.

Good sperm

Out of interest, do you have any studies showing why grains are to be avoided (you've mentioned it in other posts) or is it just from the prevalence of gluten/wheat-intolerance that makes you think grains aren't ok?

I certainly don't think quinoa should be avoided. It's an excellent thing to eat and I believe it is gluten free. See here for more.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

nervine

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    Out of interest, do you have any studies showing why grains are to be avoided (you've mentioned it in other posts) or is it just from the prevalence of gluten/wheat-intolerance that makes you think grains aren't ok?
    We are not granivores.
    There are many reasons why grains are not suited for humans. Among the most valid are those taken from the science of biology - and consequently, are the same types of arguments that vegetarians use to condemn meat eating.
    Much more in this pdf:
    http://fs01n3.sendspace.com/dl/f1f43...RETS-FINAL.pdf

I know that grains aren't as nutrient rich as, for example, leafy greens, but this doesn't mean they should necessarily be excluded from our diet altogether. To be honest nervine the link you provided doesn't really convince me; the guy is pushing a raw food diet so he is obviously not going to advocate eating cooked food such as grains. I'm also a bit sceptical of his argument that "beans are hard so we were never meant to eat them" or that "grains were made for birds and not for humans". I know grains don't agree with some people, but that's not true for everyone. Do you have any other links you can provide?

nervine

Well, yeah, I don't agree with all of it either. I'm starting to become more sceptical too now. I think quinoa and beans are fine as long as they are made very soft and soggy. Same with potatoes.

Good sperm

Firstly the fact that his only sources are books written by raw diet gurus and he had no medical journals or studies to back up any of his points made me somewhat sceptical.

Then I was kinda put off by the fact he asserted that no animal eats salt voluntarily. In Africa elephants clear patches of rainforest to dig huge holes so that salty water comes up for them to drink.

Plus he seemed to think that because snakes (who are evidently biologically, physically and nutritionally very similar to us) will only eat one kind of food during the day, that we should too. At this point I sighed 'crackpot' and gave up.

I'm sure raw is very good for you, but sadly I don't live in California where a huge variety of fruit and veg is available all year round, or have all day to prepare my food, or have the luxury of being able to eat it when I want.

I'm sticking to the wholegrain, low-fat, high fruit and veg Dr Barnard diet