Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: [Several multi-question threads, closed]

Default Re: To all Vegans -- Brits especially

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Thanks for your interesting posts on Buddhism, Slack and Cupid. Sorry I wasn't able to acknowledge them sooner.

leedsveg
    no problems leeds

Quote harpy View Post
    Cupid Stunt Unless anyone thinks that they are not a better 'them' as a vegan than they were as a meat-eater I cannot see that there is any sense in arguing that vegans are not better than meat-eaters though.
    Am I a "better me" than 17 years ago or whenever I became vegan? If forced to answer I would have to say I'm probably better in some respects and worse in others.
    I'm curious now ...

In what way do you think you have become a worse 'you' by having become a vegan Harpy?

Personally I find judging and comparing people (including different states of oneself) a rather depressing and unproductive line of thought. I imagine it makes more sense in the context of a religion that involves undertaking a journey towards enlightenment or something like that, but personally I don't subscribe to that (or any other) religion.
    I am not going to pretend to even remotely understand how any 'life path', religious or otherwise, that is not oriented toward becoming more enlightened can possibly make any sense.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Being vegan is better but in other respects I may be worse, and I don't have the mathematical ability to work out whether the net result is positive or negative I just find it more productive and meaningful to think in terms of the desirability of a given action or type of actions, rather than the goodness or badness of an individual. Politicians aside, of course

Default Introducing myself and asking a few questions!

Hi guys, I'm new to being a Vegan. I've been a Vegetarian for about 3 months now, and I feel better about my body in general except for cheeses and heavy, creamy sauces. I couldn't deal with the physical feeling and the guilt due to the inhumane treatment of these poor animals. I don't think that we as human beings were intended to drink the milk from another specie's mammary gland. Gross.. At any rate, I'm a broke musician/ college student currently living back at home with my dad, who is strictly a carnivore. I need help finding things that I can buy that are cheap to keep around the house for sustenance. I've been living off of lima beans, fresh baby carrots, and almonds. Also, I'm addicted to coffee and was wondering what the yummiest substitution for cream or milk would be.. thanks guys! I'm glad there are other people dedicated to making a difference. Also, I'm volunteering for Greenpeace to help save the ocean!! Sign on!! We need you guys!

Default Re: Introducing myself and asking a few questions!

Hi and welcome!

I usually take my coffee without milk or cream, but occasionally will add something for a change. I quite like coconut cream in coffee, it makes it very rich tasting - it's not really a substitute, more an alternative, which in a way is better in the beginning (when I first went vegan substitutes always came off worse in comparison with the dairy equivalents because I wanted them to taste exactly the same).
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I usually drink black coffee, but sometime will splodge some soya cream in or make a latte with soya milk.

Hello PixieStick - re the cheap food thing, I have only one thing to say to you - red lentils

Actually I have another thing and that's try typing "cheap" into the search box - the first three threads that come up should be helpful. The one called "Poor vegan, cheap living" may be a good place to start.

In general, I think dried foods such as legumes and grains are a good thing to have because not only are they relatively cheap but they're also unprocessed and keep for a while. You can then buy whatever fresh veg are cheapest at the time and combine them with the storecupboard stuff in various tasty ways.

Thanks guys!! That's really helpful advice. I searched for cheap, and there were so many amazing threads!! I'm excited to be on this new chapter. I made my first batch of Vegan Brownies the other day, and they were awesome!! This will be easier than expected!

leedsveg

Hi PS and welcome to the forum.

I use Tam-Tov non-dairy creamer (powder) in coffee.

Leedsveg

Hello Pixiestick,

welcome to the forum from this end of the world (Germany, Europe) as well

Ah yes, the fear of not being able to have another decent cappuccino or latte macciato for the rest of my life, I remember this also very well. Nevertheless, soymilk works for me, although it took a bit of time to get used to it.

Best regards,
    Andy

Hi PixieStick. I am also new to the forum. If you type in "cheap" in the search line, you will find lots of good info. I know, because I hang out in those threads a lot. LOL. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I am.

allnachural

Default 80:10/10 as a teen. Need assistance

Hello. I am a vegetarian and am looking to go raw vegan this wednesday or Thursday. I have a few questions regarding my food intake and f that sort.

First - how much of --- should I buy? I normally go to the supermarket once a week, but ironically I'm starting to work at one this week so maybe I can pick up my raw food after work too.
    For bananas- say- how many bundles or bunches should I buy?
    What about raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, apples, oranges, grapefruit. I plan on only eating those fruits - as I don't like many others. (add blackberries, too. I enjoy those.)

For veggies- as I'm going raw I've seen many rraw recipes for the nighttime salad. Most of these recipes include zucchini and cucumbers. I've never tried this veggies, but I'm willing to do so. How much of these veggies do I need?
    Broccoli, cauliflower, spinach (normally comes in a 3.5 serving of 2 1/2 cup bags. ) zucchini, cucumber, mushrooms, romaine lettuce, carrots, peppers (bell)

Now- if I'm not mistaken. This diet focuses on eating only fruits during morning/afternoon and eating veggies at night?

I do go to school-so preparing lunch needs to be a smoothie-as I don't want to bring 10 bananas (haha). Will a Pint of blueberries, a banana or two be fine (with water)?

And my final-what are sproute seeds and nuts? I always seep
    Ing sprout your seeds but I'm not sure what it is. Is it soakin them in water? Why can't seeds be eaten raw?
    Thank you.
    I hope to get answers on this stuff. I would also greatly appreciate it if you can write meyo
    N grocery list too!

I'm not on a raw diet but may I make a suggestion and tell you that it might be better to start small?maybe 50% raw?you might not do yourself a favour...I can't comment on the health aspect but since you are a teen and still growing you might want to do some research beforehand so you get all the nutrients and maybe che k with your doctor ..

Default Re: 80:10/10 as a teen. Need assistance

If you want information about the bananas you can go to http://www.30bananasaday.com/ they also have information about other fruits too.

Red face A few questions from a new vegan :)

Hi My name is Dorota and I'm new to the board. I have been eating vegan food for about three weeks now. (before that I was a vegetarian for sixteen years)

I still have some vegetarian stuff I have to use up, but I'm determined to only buy vegan products from now on. Can't wait for all the Burts Bees stuff to be gone from my bathroom so I can finally call myself a vegan!

I just got some questions I hope you guys can answer:

1)Can any of you recommend a good vegan foundation that is available in the UK? I will appreciate any suggestions. I've got a Barry M mascara which I've been told is vegan, is that a case with their foundations as well?

2)What shampoo do you use? I've tried Original Source, but it does nothing for my coloured hair.

3)My recently turned vegetarian boyfriend has size 13 feet. Do you know any websites he could buy shoes from, that are not terribly expensive? So far I only managed to find a couple of pairs that were about £80 each.

4)What is the best vegan face cream(once again that I can buy in the UK or order online)

That's it for now I think Thank you very much in advance for all your help

Default Re: A few questions from a new vegan :)

Heya Dorota, glad you're going vegan! I don't know much about foundation of men's shoes but I know that you can get pretty reasonable shampoo and face cream in Superdrug.

Hi Dorota - I'm afraid the only one I can do is the shampoo - I usually use Trichomania from Lush and it seems to work OK on coloured hair.

I seem to remember that most but not all Barry M stuff is vegan - I think if you search the forum you may find a thread about that. Beauty Without Cruelty is a range of cosmetics that is completely vegan but not so easy to find. You can email them via their website for stockists near you, I think.

Hello, Dorota! Welcome to the forums!

I wish I could be of more help but I still have the same shoes I've had since before I went vegan! Had them for years before I went vegan so almost a decade now.

All though I have no personal experience with buying vegan shoes, a quick search for "vegan shoes uk" gave me a few links and the first one had cheaper shoes his style. The site I looked at is http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/, but again, I know nothing of them, they just popped up, but it says 100%vegetarian/vegan. Maybe someone here knows if they're reliable.

You can get shoes made from synthetic materials from regular shoe shops, I got 3 different pairs from shoezone.

Vegetarian Shoes are pretty reliable but I'm not sure if they have size 13! Alternative Stores have one style that goes up to 14 http://www.alternativestores.com/eth...prod_3716.html Not sure if there are any other styles that do, but you could look (or email them to ask)
    Last edited by harpy; Apr 12th, 2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: de-garbling

Hi

I use Faith in Nature shampoo and conditioner which you can get from Healthfood shops. I've recently started using "Naked" shampoo and conditioner and really like them. You can get them from boots. Not all of it is vegan but if you look on their website you can see which are vegan http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/hair-1

I don't think Barry M foundation is Vegan. BWC do foundation so you could try them.

I really like weleda face products I use their cleanser, toner and moisturiser. Not everything they do is vegan though so you have to check. I buy the Almond range.

With regards to shampoo you could try Superdrug, a lot of their own brand stuff is labelled vegan (this would also be good for the Vegan boyfriend with regards to shower gel/shaving cream etc), if I remember rightly Aldi also have a Vegan shower gel/shampoo, also the stuff in Tesco from Treacle moon is all vegan and fantastic.

For shoes I tend to look on Ebay & Amazon first, this is a good thread to have a look through with regards to shoes though: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...boots-sneakers

Quote Risker View Post
    You can get shoes made from synthetic materials from regular shoe shops, I got 3 different pairs from shoezone.
    Wow thanks Risker, we have a shoezone in our town I will be descending upon when I next get paid

Quote dorotkaela View Post
    vegan face cream...that I can buy in the UK
    Just thought of Simple, all their skincare in vegan and they're available in every chemist or supermarket (in Ireland anyway, I assume the UK too).

Thanks Blueberries, is that also vegan for hair care, soap etc ?

Thanks Firestorm, I'll look for Treacle Moon

Sounds silly but did anyone enquiry Tesco for the very basic Tesco smooth conditionner and soaps?

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to check out all the links and hopefully we will find something in size 13 for mr big foot.
    I've never realised Simple was vegan! I'll look for Treacle Moon and all the other brands mentioned here as well. Thanks so much!

Quote Bjorn
    Thanks Blueberries, is that also vegan for hair care, soap etc ?
    The face & baby wipes, liquid soaps and shower gels are (i haven't checked all of the soaps/gels they make but the ones I've used have been vegan). The solid soap I know has beef fat in it (sounds mad but its true, says it on their website). I'm not sure about the shampoos/conditioners as I've never used them. They purposely say that their 'skincare products' do not contain animal products, which means that they're omitting that info from non-skincare. You should check the Simple website, I know they have a vegan section in their faq.
    Houmous atá ann!

Go on the Lush website - they list beside all their products which ones are vegan. Most are and they are all made 100% naturally and smell super amazing! Very luxurious!

Thanks Blueberries, will check this out,

Yes Kat_90, the website is gorgeous, now Lush shop will be a worth a trip to, to check the smell of those solid shampoos...

sorry dorotkeala for intrusion on your thread

No problem Bjorn, intrude away LOL

Thanks again to everybody who replied. We've actually found some shoes that were size 13 and made of synthetic on sportsdirect.com, and they were only £15!

I've been looking at LUSH website, so many things I want! And I've realised as well that Oriflame stuff are all vegan. For those of you who never heard about it - Oriflame is a catalogue, like Avon. I used to sell their stuff ages ago. I knew they didn't test on animals, but had no idea their products were vegan. I might go back to being a consultant just to buy stuff for myself with the discount.

I would doublecheck about Oriflame because unfortunately their website says

"A limited number of ingredients - namely beeswax, lanolin derivatives and dairy products - which are derived from living animals without causing discomfort, injury or death, may be found in a number of formulations because of their unique cosmetic properties."

Thanks so much Harpy! Their newest catalogue is VERY misleading. There is a Vegan logo on the very first page! Only after clicking on the link you gave me I realized it applies to only SOME of the products.

I will not be selling their stuff again and I am annoyed at the false advertising.

namely beeswax, lanolin derivatives and dairy products - which are derived from living animals without causing discomfort, injury or death - that actually made me laugh. Talk about denial.

Thanks again.

Quote Risker View Post
    But is the glue animal derived?

Do Barry M & Simple not test on animals then? <- if so that's good!!!!

Barry M and Simple both have anti animal testing statements on their websites - not sure where they stand on fixed cutoffs etc. There is a list of BUAV-approved products here http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/search/...cs&country=231 but I don't think not being on the list is a sign that a company does animal testing, just that it hasn't applied for BUAV approval.

Dorota, is it possible they have stopped using animal products but not updated their website? You could always write and ask. I think that's always a good thing to do because it shows the company that vegans are out here with (some!) money to spend.

Quote Niccie View Post
    But is the glue animal derived?
    Probably not, but it's possible I suppose.