Thread: Zizzi's Pizza

Default Zizzi's Pizza

Hello everyone...it's been a while!

I'm supposed to be going out for a work dinner on wednesday, and we were going to go to pizza express but due to one member of staff who, due to a wheat allergy, can only eat one salad (I sympathise!) it was changed to zizzi's.

I was ok with that initially, but after reading their allergen menu and speaking to the restaurant, i'm confused. their menu says all their pizza's have milk in, but i put that down to the cheese. but then i noticed the bread sticks have milk in, so assumed it was the same dough. so i rang the restaurant who told me that there was no milk, but egg, in the pizza dough. even though the online allergen list says there is no egg in most of the pizzas, apart from the obvious like fiorentia.

so now i'm confused...does anyone know the real answer to this question?!

amanda

Default Re: Zizzi's Pizza

It's shocking that their allergen list is inaccurate. I'd email them as an answer in writing is likely to be more accurate than speaking to someone (who has very little accountability for the accuracy of any info they give out).

PS Nice to see you.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Actually I just did a search and found this link (posted by bryzee86 over 18 months ago) although it relates to the Oxford branch and I don't know how old it is.
    http://the.earth.li/~kake/cgi-bin/op...ford.cgi?Zizzi
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

yes, i think I will email. I suspect the online list is the more accurate one, but I wish they would specify about the dough. they just say 'vegan-no'. well....is it vegan without the cheese?!?!?! *pulls hair out*

fortunately, there are a lot of 'weird' dietary requirements here, so people are pretty understanding, which is really nice

nice to see you too!

yeah, i saw that too, i just wasn't sure how up-to-date it was. the woman on the phone clearly had no idea what she was talking about. I'll email and update you all!

(Worth looking into the other dishes they say were suitable too.)

Message sent:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have been trying to find out whether your pizza bases are vegan (i.e. no dairy, eggs, or other animal products including honey). I found the online allergen list a little confusing, as I was unsure whether the indication that the pizza's contained milk referred to only the cheese on the pizza, or included the dough.

I spoke to a member of staff at the Cambridge branch, who told me that there was no dairy, but the bases did contain egg. This is in direct contradiction of the allergen list, which says that most of the pizzas are egg-free.

I would be very grateful if you could clarify whether the bases are vegan. Additionally could you let me know whether a vegetarian pizza, minus the cheese, would also be vegan (so there are no animal, dairy or egg products in the tomato sauce etc.).

Kind regards,

oops, sorry marrers - I had pizza on the brain!!!

for those interested, I had a reply from Zizzi's HQ about their pizzas:

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your email.

I have just received feedback from the food team as follows:

'The bases and tomato sauce are egg and dairy free so are suitable for vegans'

Please be assured we will be contacting the restaurant to reiterate the need to view the allergy chart accurately for customer information.

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you have any further queries or feedback please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Kind regards,

Kathryn Dobson

So there you go!

amanda

BlackCats

Thanks for that Amanda.

helen105281

That's great to know, there is a Zizzi's in the town next to us so that's one more place we can eat.

Good work Amanda, and not bad work from Zizzi's either. I'm always impressed when businesses answer a question properly instead of explaining why the problem isn't really a problem!

Quote harpy View Post
    Good work Amanda, and not bad work from Zizzi's either. I'm always impressed when businesses answer a question properly instead of explaining why the problem isn't really a problem!
    So different from Harvester....I know, I know, I shouldn't allow myself to be bullied into going there. The menu has changed recently, so I thought I'd ask about the vegan-ness of two of the new items.

Waitress didn't give a toss and initially said 'I don't know you just have to take a chance! When pressed she scuttled off to find their allergy list, but none of the new items were on it.....it was down to me to point out the bold heading on each page which stated 'Do not use after October 1st'.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Great, thanks for finding that out

Great! I assumed, seeing as Pizza Express is okay, that Zizzi's is too. So I got a pizza to take out from there the other night when I couldn't be bothered cooking.

Good to know that it was definitely vegan. I did think it was but there is always a little uncertainty.

You really can't assume anything when it comes to restaurants....
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Indeed not, my wife was emailed a two for one offer last week, so in eager anticipation of the inevitable I downloaded their 'allergy' list

http://www.zizzi.co.uk/pdfs/ZIZZI_allergen_table.pdf

We are definitely not talking vegan heaven here.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Quote Jiffy View Post
    So different from Harvester....I know, I know, I shouldn't allow myself to be bullied into going there. The menu has changed recently, so I thought I'd ask about the vegan-ness of two of the new items.

Waitress didn't give a toss and initially said 'I don't know you just have to take a chance! When pressed she scuttled off to find their allergy list, but none of the new items were on it.....it was down to me to point out the bold heading on each page which stated 'Do not use after October 1st'.
    Ahh same experience with a Harvester near me! I was fed up of having salad in pretty much every restaurant we go to on family birthday do's (I'm the only vegan so it's hard to get everyone to go to an all veggie restaurant =[) so we asked if there was any milk or egg in the pasta, the waiter did not care at all and just said he didn't know, so we said well, would you find out? And he said well, it's pasta isn't it, so obviously it's made of egg.. (talking to us as though we were stupid!) so I said erm, no, a lot of pasta is made of durham or semolina wheat, so he went and checked but no.. it was egg, so I had another salad!