Thread: How to use tofu

Question How to use tofu

ive just started experimenting with firm tofu. I want to put it in stir fry to replace chicken, Do I fry the tofu first in the pan to make it harder then add the veggies? I made it today and the tofu was soft and fell into a thousand peices. does tofu even get hard when fried?
    I am the Devil, and I'm here to do the Devils work.

Default Re: How to use tofu

You have to dry it out first by either putting a heavy object on it until the water drains ot, then mop off the excess with kitchen towel.
    Then heat the oil very hot and fry it. You can also bake it in the oven. The hotter the oil and the longer you fry it the harder it will go, it will even go crispy if you deep fry it. But make sure its not wet.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

THERES MY PROBLEM, i left the water in it and didnt fry it very long. Thank you for the help, it is super apreciated and also for the recepe! Thank you.

Whenever I try to use regular firm tofu for stir-fry I can never get it to firm up and brown properly. So now I always use marinated tofu for stir fry. I buy the Tofu-Lin brand. It comes pre-marinated and it isn't packaged in water. I just dice it up and cook it up in some olive oil. It browns pretty quickly. Then I remove it from the pan, cook up my veggies and then add the tofu back in to heat up.

I've heard of freezing tofu but I've never done it. It's supposed to give it a chewier texture. Maybe some folks who've done that can advise on how to prepare it for freezing. I'd be interested to hear about that as well.

I mostly use regular firm tofu to make scramble.

I only have access to one brand of tofu here but maybe if i could fry it longer and then remove it from the pan (not fry it with the veggies) it wouldnt fall apart. Ill try frying it separate next time . Thanx Veganwitch.

Probably stating the obvious here but, in addition to the other suggestions, it may help to leave the tofu in reasonably large chunks - and not stir it too energetically! If all else fails, baking instead of frying is a good idea; you could still add it to the stir-fry at the end.

Question Re: How to use tofu

Quote harpy View Post
    Probably stating the obvious here but, in addition to the other suggestions, it may help to leave the tofu in reasonably large chunks - and not stir it too energetically! If all else fails, baking instead of frying is a good idea; you could still add it to the stir-fry at the end.
    That was another mistake i made....I stirred it like a banshee...I guess i was used to using regular dead chicken. How long does one bake tofu for, or will it turn brown when baked correctly?

Buddha Belly

Me and Helen freeze it sometimes. We get it out the freezer and in the fridge in the morning. We add it, cubed, to curries an stir fry's. With curries cook in the sauce for 20 mins or so. Stir fry 2-3 mis with garlic, Ginger and onions before the veg goes in.
    Last edited by Buddha Belly; Oct 7th, 2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: iPhone and sausage fingers do not get along

when you freeze tofu do you drain all the water out of it first or leave the water in it?

It's a while since I've done it but I think it does turn brown and it doesn't need baking for very long - maybe 15 mins? You can grill it too.

Thank you all for being so helpful.

Buddha Belly

Quote Panzer View Post
    when you freeze tofu do you drain all the water out of it first or leave the water in it?
    Chuck the unopened box in the freezer, after a few hours defrost the water from the plastic drains bug no need to press/ pat the tofu dry unless it is to be fried in oil, for stir fry's and curries etc it does't need anything but chopping. Same for scrambled tofu too.

RubyDuby

(eta: BB beat me different method!)
    Quote Panzer View Post
    rinse it, then gently squeeze it between paper towels. I cut it in half so its in 2 big chunks then put it in a double plastic bag to freeze it. Then before cooking I let it mostly thaw, then put it in a non-stick pan with a little olive oil, s&p, let it cook over med-highish heat with the lid for like 8-10 minutes until that side is browned up, then flip and repeat. Put it on a toasted roll with bbq sauce and some onions. Good stuff. It's very meaty and satisfying. You could use the same method with smaller chunks to use in stir-fries.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Im definatly going to start buying more tofu. all of these ideas sound really good. thanx again.

Have you tried using cashew nuts in a stir fry, they're full of protein and some essential fats and give a nutty taste/texture to a stir fry,- I prefer it to tofu sometimes

MMMMM cashew nuts sound great, they use them at the chinese resturaunt.

I like stir-fries with tofu and cashew nuts

Thats going to be my next project....i could eat a whole can of cashews by themself.

Windfall

Quote harpy View Post
    I like stir-fries with tofu and cashew nuts
    yeah, me too

I almost always freeze tofu (this comes from living in the countryside, where you have to bulk up on "exotic" items such as tofu)

Then i ususally put a full-sized plate upside down over the sink, then the block of tofu, then another plate (this one turned the right way) and then something heavy like a mortal and pestle on top. This allows the tofu to drain, and for the liquid to run straight down the sink

Often i think slice the tofu, and then stir together

*liquid smoke
    *soy sauce
    *nutritional yeast
    *some chili sauce
    *canola oil

and let the tofu marinate in this for a few hrs. Then pan-fry and hey presto, tofu bacon!!

Buddha Belly

Where do you get your liquid smoke? I need some so very desperately.

I saw this post on a blog I read today:

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/...tofu-help.html

It's a nice thorough guide to cooking tofu
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    I hope you've found some by now, BB, as you were so desperate, but just in case:

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/stub...oke-1351-p.asp
    http://www.socal.co.uk/294/17197

Is it always vegan?

I like to coat tofu in cornflour (I usually cut it into triangles for this) and then fry it in very hot oil. It makes it nice and crispy on the outside without deep frying (I don't have a deep fryer).

Give me the tofu! I will use it for you.
    context is everything

General Tao's tofu is a great recipe - I tried it exactly as the recipe states then tried it differently another night. They were both good, but the second way was less work! Instead of coating the tofu in egg replacer then cornflour, I just tossed it straight in the cornflour and fried it in hot sesame oil. Was lovely and crispy. At the spring onion cooking stage I also threw in some finely chopped chestnut mushrooms and cashew nuts and it was great. Really tasty and me, the kids and the other half all had seconds.
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    They sell it it Let's Eat in Milton Keynes, if you are ever in that direction.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.