Thread: Vegan Chocolate / Snack bars

Default Vegan Chocolate / Snack bars

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any snack type bars that happen to be vegan rather than the expensive health food store type ones.

One's I know of:
    Asda - Choc chip cereal bars (value range)
    Sainsburys - Oat and raisin cereal bar (value range)
    9 Bar (nutty variety only, others contain honey)
    Doves farm cereal bars and flapjack bars
    Lidl nut cereal bars
    Frys chocolate cream bar
    Tesco finest dark choc cereal bars

Default Re: Vegan Chocolate / Snack bars

I'm pretty sure Tesco do a chocolate and orange flavoured cereal bar, in their 'Light Choices' range, which is vegan.

Nakd by Natural Balance Foods

They are all about 49p each if you buy them loose (for a small bar) but you can get multipacks which are cheaper.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Some, but not all, of the Devon Value crumbles are marked vegan on the back.

http://www.devonvale.com/crumbles.php

I would hazard a guess that they are less healthy for you than many of the other products listed in this thread. They are very sweet.

Thanks for starting this thread Simon. I wasn't aware of most of the products you mention, so I have benefitted from your question more than you benefit from my answer!

omg im so glad i looked at this i didnt know the sainsburys ones were vegan my mom always has them and only saw it say vegeatarian so i didnt bother looking, got some today they taste nice and they cheap to

BlackCats

Thanks. That's helpful info.

Simon, are the Sainsbury bars in your area labeled as vegan?

ETA: I was at Sainsburys today, and saw them labeled as vegetarian, and containing Vitamin D as the only questionable ingredient.
    Last edited by refinnej; Oct 11th, 2009 at 08:01 PM.

Also Ritter Sport marzipan, and the peppermint variety. Not sold in many shops, but often in obscure petrol stations.

^ We have Ritter Sport Marzipan bars here in Canada, luckily they carry it in one of our major drugstore-type shops so I can usually get my hands on it. I love them!

Ritter Sport peppermint here is not vegan any longer, as it has butterfat. I actually looked at one just yesterday, but bought the marzipan instead. You can see a discussion about it on another message board too: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=25319.0

On the plus like, I like that the labels for Ritter Sport are marked, so that you can recycle them.

anyone know a website that I can order the marzipan one please? I can't find it in any shops around here...they used to sell it in Tesco about a year or so back but they stopped *sob*

Quote Daffodil View Post
    anyone know a website that I can order the marzipan one please? I can't find it in any shops around here...they used to sell it in Tesco about a year or so back but they stopped *sob*
    They still sell it in some tesco I've been into, not all, but some. If you want, I'll happily keep my eyes open and post some across to you if I find any
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    They still sell it in some tesco I've been into, not all, but some. If you want, I'll happily keep my eyes open and post some across to you if I find any

That is a very kind offer, thank you very much But now I know that Tesco has not stopped selling it, just my branch then I will check out the Tesco in the next town

Quote Daffodil View Post
    anyone know a website that I can order the marzipan one please?
    Vegan Essentials has them... I think they're located in the USA though so I'm not sure if shipping them to you would be cost effective. I know I never order from the UK because shipping to NA is usually ridiculous... I imagine it's the same the other way around?

A bit of Googling produced this result:
    http://www.confectionaffection.net/r...100g-213-p.asp

There were a few other places that sold it, but they all appeared to be out of stock.

That's a really bad price. Tesco IIRC sell it for about Ł1.

A couple of years back they had them on 2 for 1. Needless to say I bought quite a few
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Yes, there were other online stores that had it listed for a cheaper price, but they were all out of stock. aquarterof.co.uk say they're having "an absolute nightmare" getting hold of it at the moment.

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/ritter-s...an-p-1055.html

Quote RossClement View Post
    Some, but not all, of the Devon Value crumbles are marked vegan on the back.

http://www.devonvale.com/crumbles.php

I would hazard a guess that they are less healthy for you than many of the other products listed in this thread. They are very sweet.

Thanks for starting this thread Simon. I wasn't aware of most of the products you mention, so I have benefitted from your question more than you benefit from my answer!
    They look nice. Will have to keep an eye out for them. Morrisons do their own apricot crumbles in the bakery section and they are quite nice. Wonder if they are similar.

Quote Daffodil View Post
    Waitrose tend to stock the marzipan and peppermint variety. You can shop online with them to get it delivered.

Quote Simon View Post
    9 Bar (nutty variety only, others contain honey)
    Hope no one buys these as after noticing the ingredients on the new packaging for the nutty flavour now list honey I took a look on their website to see if the recipe had changed or if it was a misprint. The ingredients on the website still listed it as not having honey so I emailed them to check. The guy emailed back saying he was sorry it was a misprint on the website and should have listed honey and that the bars have always contained it! I was seriously annoyed. The packaging had listed only vegan ingredients for a good 2 years or more!!

I could kick myself, I saw the marzipan bar in Tesco yesterday and went to look at it as I'm addicted to marzipan, but I figured it wouldn't be vegan so I just grabbed my normal chocolate and left! Arggh! Next time I go in, I'll buy a few
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

It's worth looking for the marzipan one at off licenses, surprisingly many of them stocking it.
    Last time (august) I bought them at WH Smith (2 for 1!).

Quote Daffodil View Post

My Tesco are now selling it again yippee!!!!

It's cheaper and just as tasty to buy a block of marzipan from the cake decorating section of the supermarket, cut it up into squares, then melt your favourite choccy in the microwave and drizzle it over the marzipan............not that I'm one for leading you astray or anything...................

I'm intrigued by the Tesco finest dark chocolate cereal bar...............I'll look out for it tomorrow when I'm there. I hope they still sell it after all this time.............you know what it's like.........one week it's there and the next it isn't!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Fry's Chocolate Cream Bar isn't listed as Vegan on Cadburys site,
    http://nutrition.cadbury.co.uk/epage...ducts/11002634
    Had to check as I'd read these were OK but held back on buying one, or two!
    The usual unhelpful staff at H & B telling me to just buy it anyway if I like them!!!

Quote Puska17 View Post
    Fry's Chocolate Cream Bar isn't listed as Vegan on Cadburys site,
    http://nutrition.cadbury.co.uk/epage...ducts/11002634
    Had to check as I'd read these were OK but held back on buying one, or two!
    The usual unhelpful staff at H & B telling me to just buy it anyway if I like them!!!
    I think it has dairy in them

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

Dark Kit kat I think are vegan, it does say MAY CONTAIN MILK so that's up to what your comfortable with. I am lactose intolerant and have eaten them with no issue.

http://www.nestle.ca/en/products/brands/KitKat/dark.htm

I am going to try to make one soon, I want something creamy so will make a huge mess of my kitchen trying for perfection

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

leedsveg

Quote Ladygold View Post
    I think it has dairy in them
    Not sure what the ingredients are for the Frys Cream Bar and whether milk is an actual ingredient or a possible ingredient. Still, they label it as not suitable for vegans so I'll take their word for it and avoid FCBs in future. It's a shame because FCBs used to be one of the few, "suitable for vegan", ubiquitous, "chocolatey" items a few years ago.

O tempora O mores!

Leedsveg

Just stick to good old raspberry ruffles.............you can't go wrong with them!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I contacted Fry's a while ago and milk is NOT an ingredient, they are just made in the same environment/production lines (cleaned between production runs) as milk chocolate, so there is the theoretical chance of cross contamination so they wont list them as vegan.

Quote Ladygold View Post
    Dark Kit kat I think are vegan, it does say MAY CONTAIN MILK so that's up to what your comfortable with. I am lactose intolerant and have eaten them with no issue.

I am going to try to make one soon, I want something creamy so will make a huge mess of my kitchen trying for perfection

LG
    I believe they are vegan in Canada and the states, but not the UK.

Quote Ladygold View Post

LG
    They are, however, Nestle. Who are hugely unethical in a number of ways. I haven't knowingly bought a Nestle product in over 15 years I'd think.

I used to like kit kats to.

Just been given a Cleo's peanut butter cup, think I have died and gone to heaven! Love raspberry ruffles too but only know one shop locally that sell them and they haven't had any in for weeks. They were going to be my Christmas treat, where can I get them? My local factory shop sold them in packs of 5 small bars for Ł1. I have only found the Cleo peanut butter cups online and they are quite expensive at Ł1.70 each, does anyone know any stockists?

Boycotting so many manufacturers that it doesn't leave much for me to buy so haven't a clue why my shopping bill was so big today!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)

You can get raspberry ruffles in most supermarkets and cheap shops (such as pound land etc ) sometimes they are in bars of 5 or individual sweets.

tjay10 - I'm pretty sure I've bought raspberry ruffle bars in Sainsbury's before and they had the smaller chocolate size ones in Poundstretcher recently. Can't help you with cheap bought peanut butter cups, but they're really easy to make yourself if you get silicon mini cupcake cases! Just coat with choc, leave to set, bung in peanut butter (maybe with some icing sugar added) and cover the top with chocolate.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Thank you, I obviously haven't been looking hard enough! I have seen the small ones in bags but they are just not the same as having a bar. I am not really that bothered about chocolate but need to get a few treats in for Christmas. Anyway I feel sick now after that peanut butter cup so may not be a bad thing if I can't get hold of any more of them!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)

On the topic of chocolate it would appear that Chocolate Wendy House are making Vegan Snickers and they are cheaper than the Go Max Go version:
    http://www.ethical-treats.co.uk/stor...product_id=190

Thanks for the link, I haven't bought from this site before but it looks really good.

leedsveg

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    They are, however, Nestle. Who are hugely unethical in a number of ways. I haven't knowingly bought a Nestle product in over 15 years I'd think.
    Same for me Ms D.

Leedsveg

@Ms_Derious

How do you decide which companies you support or not? I am still trying to figure that out since in the end alot of the Vegan products I find are owned by very animal unfriendly companies.

I know most people on here say 'do what feels right for you" but I'm trying to figure this out and input is helpful

LG

@Firestorm

Not available in Alberta Oh well I will have to just place a big ass order of a bunch of vegan products from vegan essentials....no other choice ...hehe

LG

It is really hard to decide who to support or boycott and in all honesty I think you really have to question everything you buy. That's why supermarket shopping can take hours to do and of course the supermarkets are questionable anyway so you can't win.

I am a bit confused by some of the Tesco products which have been recommended as vegan on some of the posts on this thread.

The only cereal bar I can find on Tesco's current list of "Own Brand Food Products Suitable For Vegans" is their Tesco Value Strawberry Cereal Bar.

Tesco emailed me a PDF of this list on 21st. November, and it remains current until 31st. December 2011, after which time I will request a new list.

Surely, if the other cereal bars which have been mentioned were vegan, Tesco would have included them on their own list of food products suitable for vegans.

Personally, until they do so, I will steer clear of them.

@BilTan do you mean the finest dark chocolate cereal bar that Sandra mentioned? That was September last year.

Quote Firestorm View Post
    @BilTan do you mean the finest dark chocolate cereal bar that Sandra mentioned? That was September last year.

Whoops! My mistake. I was looking at recommendations posted some time ago. Hadn't noticed this thread was so old, because it consists of only one page. Must look at the dates more closely in future.

Quote Ladygold View Post
    @Ms_Derious

How do you decide which companies you support or not? I am still trying to figure that out since in the end alot of the Vegan products I find are owned by very animal unfriendly companies.

I know most people on here say 'do what feels right for you" but I'm trying to figure this out and input is helpful

LG
    It's quite difficult isn't it? Nestle are not good for animal use, and are generally terrible all round. I originally started boycotting Nestle when I was just vegetarian, not vegan and not for animal related uses. Their unethical promotion of infant formula in the third world has undoubtably lead to the deaths of many, many children. As a feminist, and now as a mother it sickens me that women are so disempowered by the pushing of formula they are lead to think it is better for their babies then what their own bodies make, and sadly children end up paying with their lives.

I also don't buy P&G or unilever products, because they really do have terrible animal testing policies.

I know it's not perfect, and I do end up buying some brands which do test on animals as I don't choose to invest in the time (and money) needed to avoid them all but I do what I feel I reasonably can.

leedsveg

^^^

100% in agreement as it's just the way I see things Ms_D.

Leedsveg

Totally agree with Mrs D too and very well said

Hi

Okay, I need clarification in regards to chocolate chips...I am wondering whether or not Ghirardelli's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips qualify as vegan?

The ingredient list is as follows:
    Semi-sweet chocolate (sugar, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, soy lecithin-an emulsifier, vanilla).

Thank you!
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

I guess the only question mark over that is if you're concerned about the type of sugar used, VA? Could you check with the manufacturer? There seem to be various discussions about these on other web sites but all the ones I can see are a few years old.

I agree with Ms_D as well. In addition, I'm not keen on buying chocolate where the cocoa is of unspecified provenance (i.e. not fairtrade or from a named grower etc) since discovering it is often produced by slave labour - but I'm not always as thorough about that as I should be :-/